Thanks To Nordstrom, I Now Know That A Stranger Is Planning A Very Special Evening

Remember how one reader kept getting emails about the Nook she’d never ordered? Another Consumerist tipster says he’s been receiving emailed receipts from Nordstrom for purchases in Seattle that he never made. Jason says it’s annoying but mildly amusing, as in this case where the purchases have led him to believe his unknown pal has “a hot date planned.”

Jason’s been trying to get Nordstrom to remove his email address from their system, because he most definitely did not buy items like a “Cotton Thong” or “Intimates — Lavender Wash.” Hence, the hot date.

He says he got the below email from a customer service representative apologizing for the mix-up and promising to update the other customer’s information.

She wrote:

I am so sorry for any concern this has caused you! Since the e-receipts are sent from a Nordstrom store, most likely the associate has used the wrong e-mail address for another customer. We ask that you please reply to this e-mail and include the e-receipt you received. We can then contact the appropriate parties to update the information for the customer, and you will stop receiving the e-mails. I am sorry for this inconvenience to you. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

By the time the e-receipt involving various washes and underthings totaling $93 arrived, Nordstrom customer service appears to have given up.

The other CSR wrote three weeks later:

I am so sorry to hear that you have received an e-receipt for another customer. Occasionally, a customer’s e-mail address may be entered incorrectly when orders are placed at our stores. I have forwarded your feedback to my supervisor so that we can correct this and ensure that your privacy is protected. However, you may continue to receive these e-mails until the correction is made. You can simply delete them from your inbox and no further action is needed on your part.

As he puts it, “they’ve gone from ‘We’ll fix this for you’ to ‘You’re on your own pal’ in a few short weeks. Not the sort of customer service I generally expect from Nordstrom, considering I also shop there occasionally.”

Comments

1. Coffee says:

While this kind of thing is a bit annoying, it’s also par for the course. I have a very common name configuration for my gmail account (I got it early, when codes were selling on ebay for $5), and I frequently receive pay stubs, bank statements, etc. It happens, and you unsubscribe/block and move on.

2. Sarek says:

Many years ago, I got an email at work inviting me to the office Christmas party. Except that I didn’t work for the company that sent the email.

My email ID was myfirstname.mylastname@mybigcompany.com
    The email was internally addressed to myfirstname.mylastname@theotherbigcompany.com
    [note: my firstname-lastname combination is extremely rare]

After puzzling over this for a long time, and wondering how it got to me, I decided to forward the note to my namesake at theotherbigcompany, if indeed he existed. Well, he did! He responded that there had been no internet name registry breakdown, but the email had indeed been externally addressed to mybigcompany. Seems that our 2 companies were customers of each other and had representatives on site at each other’s businesses. The person who sent the invitations mixed up the 2 internal directories, and had sent the note to me instead of my namesake.

He did invite me to their party, but it was too far for me to go!

• kursk says:

Weird. The exact same thing happened to me except we worked for totally different companies owned by the same mega corp. Both of us had the same pretty rare name combo and small world, both worked in the same town. We invited him to an office party and two divisions of the company that usually couldn’t stand each other started getting along.

3. Purple Elmo says:

I have what may be a similar problem in my gmail account which is recorded as first.lastname@gmail.com In Gmail, the use of the punctuation mark . in the user email address is insignificant — you don’t need to use it so that firstlastname is equivalent to first.lastname. There is a physician who has the same lastname as I do and when he shortens his firstname to first and enters the address for a site it comes out as firstlastname . So I’m continually getting his email. So far I’ve been able to get the alumni association of his college/medschool to fix it so they aren’t sending records of his donations, etc. to me. But I get all kinds of emails from candidates in a different state from mine begging for donations, and apparently his wife’s name is Judy Lastname and she uses firstlastname@gmail for a lot of commercial sites who are continually sending me special offers and the like.

I’ve managed to get rid of a lot of it using the junkmail filters but it still happens.

4. mgchan says:

If someone wants to keep giving out your email address for their receipts, are you going to keep blaming the store that accepts the address? You expect them to verify every email address?

Even if they verify with one of those link things, you’ll keep getting “please click here to verify your e-mail” and have to ignore those.

Only ways out are to a) ignore/delete/block the messages b) use the information for evil (start returning things) or c) figure out who the guy is and embarrass him until he stops using the wrong address.

If it was an honest mistake it probably would have been a one time thing and you’re going through way more work than you need (i.e., hit the trash button and move on with your life).

• NanoDog says:

As a matter of fact I do expect vendors to verify every email address.. what’s the problem with that?
      and yes one or two email verification emails with a “if you didn’t do this click here” link and you’re done…

5. JJFIII says:

This is an easy fix. BLOCK THE SENDER. This will bounce their email back. i receive all my receipts by email when possible and have never had the problem, but every one of them I ever get has been a double opt in system. It really is not Nordstrom’s doing anything wrong here. If i put moderator@consumerist.com as my email when I request an email receipt, how would they know I am not?

6. do-it-myself says:

I sent in a story that never got picked up about a TurboTax customer who had their emails routed to MY inbox. Apparently the online form for sign up doesn’t require one to insert a phone number as an alternate form of contact. I kept getting emails stating that their tax return was REJECTED. I called TurboTax to explain the situation but there was nothing they could do.

7. wombats lives in [redacted] says:

Though the op may be wishing for these to get sent to the correct person… if they just want the emails to stop; they can most likely click an “unsubscribe” button which should opt them out. Due to the can-spam law, large companies include the links in every email they send out.

8. Lauren-XX says:

With Nordstrom, it’s better to deal with the store directly. The receipt will show the store name, address, and local telephone number, so call and ask to speak with the store manager or customer service manager and explain your situation. They can see a lot more information about the specific transaction within the store than the online customer service can, and very likely deal with it with more urgency than the online customer service. Frankly, I’m surprised they didn’t put the OP in contact with the store already.

Contacting the store also lets management know at that store that one of their salespeople isn’t verifying e-mail addresses, and they can work with that person to correct that bad habit.