Nevada Continues To Reign Supreme In Latest Unemployment Numbers

Since the bottom dropped out of the housing market a few years ago, and even as most other locales have begun to claw their way out of the pits, Nevada and California have continued to churn out huge unemployment numbers. And the latest stats from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics shows no real reversal in that trend.

The report looks at six different measures for unemployment from the third quarter of 2011 through the second quarter of 2012.

For the “official” unemployment numbers — total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force — Nevada has by far the highest percentage (12.3%), followed by California and Rhode Island (each with 11.2% each). South Carolina (10%) was the only other state with a double-digit unemployment rate according to this measure.

When it comes to the percentage of the civilian workforce who lost their jobs or completed temp job assignments during this time period, Nevada was once again on top with 7.7%, once again followed by California (6.5%).

Want to take a guess which states also have the highest measure of unemployed plus “discouraged” workers who have given up looking for work? We’ll just tell you anyway, because you’d probably already guessed Nevada (13.4%), followed by another tie between California and Rhode Island (11.8%)

The truly depressing number for everyone is the U-6 stat, which adds up the all the people who are unemployed, discouraged, marginally attached, and those working part-time only because of economic factors.

According to that stat, more than 1-in-5 of both Nevada’s (22.1%) and California’s (20.3%) respective workforces re either not working or hanging on by a shoestring.

You can look at the full chart — and see how your state is doing — here.

Comments

1. eccsame says:

I don’t understand why someone without a job would choose to stay in Nevada. I mean, there are 49 other states to choose from that don’t suck.

• ChuckECheese says:

Good troll job. There are other states almost as bad, some near Nevada. The unemployed don’t typically have $$ sitting around to pay for a move to another place.

• eccsame says:

Yeah, but to sit around without a job paying a $300 electric bill every month makes far less sense. I moved across the country without a job – it isn’t that difficult.
      Step One: Sell some/most of your shit
      Step Two: Pack the rest of it in your car
      Step Three: Drive to new place – preferably one with more job prospects and friends/family you can stay with though this isn’t necessary – just rent someplace cheap
      Step Four: Wake up to discover you aren’t living in Nevada.

2. Cat says:

Funny how I moved to Las Vegas 9 years ago because it was a booming economy…

3. BorkBorkBork says:

I got lucky and found a job in Vegas recently. But if I’m laid off, I’m out of here. Unless you work in the hotel/casino industry, there’s not much for you out in this town.

• Jevia says:

And I would imagine the hotel/casino industry is heavily reliant on other people have disposable income to spend, which most of the country doesn’t, which is why unemployment is high in Nevada.

4. ARP3 says:

Of course The People’s Republic of California has high unemployment rate.

If only Nevada and South Carolina didn’t tax and regulate companies to death, the job creators…

Wait, Nevada has no corporate or individual income tax? They’re a right to work state? They’re loosely regulated?

South Carolina has a 5% corporate income tax rate (which is on the lower end)? They’re a right to work state? They’re also loosely regulated?

How can that be, taxes and regulation are why companies aren’t hiring?

/S

Maybe taxes and regulation aren’t the only cause of our poor jobs market. But, it won’t fit on a bumper sticker, so it’s not worth considering.

5. Torchwood says:

Does anyone really trust the unemployment numbers anymore? I think they are kinda…. low…. even for California and Nevada.

6. XTREME TOW says:

The last time the economy was this bad, it took 12 years to recover, and only changed because of WWII. WWIII in 2020 anyone?
    Am I willing to die for my country? No. But I am willing to kill for it!
    What do I do each night before I go to bed? Pray for war!
    Last man standing when the fog and gunsmoke clears wins!
    You too can “Make A Killing” in the Military-Industrial Complex Stock Market!

7. smo0 says:

I have a job… there are jobs at all the hundreds of call centers that came here to avoid certain business taxes.