Kroger Thinks You Might Want To Pay More For A 10-Pack Of Razors Than Two 5-Packs

Store aisles can be so confusing! Do I want a five-pack of razor cartridges for my Gillette Mach 3 razor or a 10-pack? This sign says both are at a low price, so that must be good. I’ll always want razors, so why not just stock up? So do I want the convenience of one 10-pack or two five-packs? Easy decision, points out Consumerist reader Jeremy via our tipster app, since Kroger didn’t really bother to do good math.

Buying the 10-pack of razor cartridges will run you a cool $27.99, about $2.79 per cartridge, which isn’t too shabby. But wait — one five-pack is only $12.59, so buying two of those would run about $25.18. Let’s get this straight: $25.18 for 10 razors or $27.99 for 10 razors.

The decision practically makes itself, once you do the math. Ahem, Kroger.

Comments

1. cactus jack says:

The savings in gas usage since you wouldn’t need to hit the store after going through 5 refills makes the 10 pack worth it.

• Rexy does not like the new system says:

Read the story again. They’re talking about buying *TWO* 5-packs so that you get the same number as a 10-pack and how it’s cheaper…

• cactus jack says:

Double the packaging means double the garbage making it more expensive to dispose two packages rather than one.

Don’t you want to do your part to save the planet?

• Rexy does not like the new system says:

Maybe tomorrow. I feel like letting some good ol’ C02 into the air from my SUV. ‘Merica!

• cactus jack says:

Driving an SUV is patriotic. Don’t let anyone tell you different. If it weren’t for us 17mpg (if lucky) folks, those Alaskans wouldn’t have shit to do.

• bennilynn says:

Most people don’t take a special trip to the store *just* to buy razors.

• Press1forDialTone says:

Speaking of buying in bulk….

I use paper towels, a lot of paper towels, but most can be recycled and I do.
      I like a paper towel that works well and has a nice colorful print on it.
      I looked -everywhere- for a good deal that stayed a good deal.
      Amazingly enough I found it online at Ace Hardware. They have Bounty
      Basic Prints in an 8 pack for about .80 a roll. But only online. So I buy
      a butt load of them and pick them up at a store about 15 minutes away
      (we don’t have one close by in my city) only TruValue, combining the trip
      with other errands. Sometimes bargains are only online and in sort of
      unusual places, like hardware stores. I also buy other items at the same
      store in bulk (or -my- idea of bulk cuz they don’t force an amount on you)
      and save $$$.

2. LuzioFantazmic says:

They probably do that for people like my wife.

You could put identical bottles of pickles right next to each other. One marked $2. The other marked 2 for $5. She’ll buy the 2 for $5 ones every single time because it’s 2 for $5. It has to be a good deal.

And she’d buy the 10 pack because more must be cheaper. I really hate shopping with her.

3. EnergyM45 says:

It’s a big ripoff anyway. I stopped buying them. Went and got me a safety razor and 100 Astra blades for $10 shipped ! I use a blade a week and I get the best possible shave.. all for next to nothing compared to the Mach 3 “system”.

• HiddenFire79 says:

I absolutely AGREE. Shaving with a mach 3 is like shaving with sandpaper now. I got a Merkur razor for $30 and I now buy blades for $5 and I get 20. I am a pretty hairy dude, and still these razors have not run out. I am guessing around Thanksgiving and then we’ll have to splurge another $5 for another years worth of platinum blades. Seriously . . .Mach 3′s are sooo overrated.

4. Portlandia says:

I’ve seen this at Target many times. The larger count are more expensive per unit than the smaller count packages. I guess they think we don’t math well.

• longfeltwant says:

Indeed. Nor also they think don’t we English well.

• DaveInBillsburg says:

And for the most part they are right, I’d guess the majority of consumers don’t check unit price or understand how to calculate and compare prices. My wife always gives me a hard time because I take so long to go grocery shopping.

5. DaveInBillsburg says:

Dollar Shave Club – FTW

But seriously – isn’t there anyone that checks these at the stores? I’m sure one was put on sale at one point and another put on sale at another point and the people that work there didn’t notice anything. I’m sure if Jeremy had brought a Kroger employee over (maybe even management?) and asked if they noticed anything, they probably woudn’t have.

6. DerangedHermit says:

I can’t see the tag, but could it be that one of them is a weekly special and the other is a longer-lasting “sale”?

7. PragmaticGuy says:

There was a Dunkin’ Donuts in terminal 4 at JFK that had donuts for .89 each but six were $5.79. I told the gal serving me their pricing made no sense but she, not being American, didn’t really understand. I guess other people complained because the next time I went back the half dozen were about $5.29 so there was some discount.

8. ubae says:

But Kroger DID do the math. It’s right there in the unit cost box.

9. km9v says:

1. Math.
    2. Double Edged Safety Razors.