Saucony Wins Dedicated Customer By Replacing Worn-Out Sneaker Without Hassle

It’s Friday, the Olympics are starting, the sun is shining (though maybe a bit too much for some folks) and well… like we said, it’s Friday. So let’s start the weekend off with a story of a company that looked at a customer’s complaint, dealt with it quickly and without hassle, and earned a loyal supporter in the process.

Ten months ago, Consumerist reader Joshua purchased a pair of Saucony sneakers, in part because his previous pair of Saucony shoes had been so durable.

But after only a few months of casual use, Josh began to notice some fraying along the side of the left shoe.

“It continued to get worse from there,” he tells Consumerist. “By the time I had owned the shoes for 10 months they were unwearable, stepping through the smallest puddle would cause my entire foot to get soaked.”

By this point, he knew he couldn’t return them so Josh figured he would write to Saucony customer service since he’d bought the shoes directly from the company’s online store.

Two days after sending off his e-mail, Saucony replied, apologizing for the unexpected wear and tear. Attached to the e-mail was a form for him to fill out and send back.

“I did just that, and a week later received a call from someone at Saucony asking me to pick a style and color from
their online store and they would send me out a new pair right away!” he writes. “I really didn’t expect the shoes to be replaced 10 months after purchase, or really, to be acknowledged at all, but they took really good care of me. My case was handled without anything being lost, shuffled, or misplaced. One e-mail thread, one phone call, and I am a
happily loyal current and future Saucony customer.”

Comments

1. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

I refuse to own a sneaker whose name I can’t pronounce.

• Bladerunner says:

Saw-cony?

• Tegan says:

Hah, fair enough! I’m not sure how to say it either. I had a friend turn me onto their sneakers in high school and I’ve had a pair ever since. Actually, I think I’ve only ever had to buy three different pairs over the years. Granted I don’t wear sneakers all the time or anything, but I’ve found them to hold up very well.

• cactus jack says:

I’m surprised there hasn’t been a debate on the correct way to pronounce Nike.

• SavijMuhdrox says:

because it’s hard to actually type up the correct pronunciation of the word “Nike”..

it would be something like..

Nike: [Sound of MONEY going down TOILET, /flush/]

• ceril75 says:

Saucony’s shoe boxes once had the phrase “sock a knee” printed on them. I have also heard it pronounced. Sa-Coney

2. blogger X says:

I should have taken a picture of my Beats Tour headphones, maybe I would have had a story featured here! I snapped the left cord completely off the control mic, I called them a month ago and the rep told me to call back in a week since they were changing call centers. I called and got a RMA order. I priority shipped them 7/6 and they recieved it 7/9. On 7/10 I got email stating my repair was approved, they would ship the repaired set in three weeks. I got them today and they sound great! I forgot to include the reciept when I shipped it to them, I was sweating bullets over that.

3. makoto says:

Firstly, great for the customer. That’s excellent customer service. He was expidited through the process of getting a new pair of shoes.

However, this should not be the norm. EVER. You are not meant to wear your shoes for more than 3 months believe it or not. If you are wearing your shoes everyday, you are stepping and pressing down on the sole of the shoe and wearing it out. If your shoes last you more than three months, it is a miracle. 10 months is BEYOND pushing it. Yes, I work with shoes for a living.

Lastly, this is a problem on the retail level because the brick and mortar stores are usually the ones that have to deal with customers who are used to being catered and babied to like this. They come in, slap their disgusting, dirty, 10 month old shoes on the counter, say they don’t have a receipt but claim it’s our problem and we are to deal with it because we replaced it last time. Actually, Saucony replaced it last time. Try to telling that to a customer in store and they will flip their lids. Sorry… just had a guy do this to me YESTERDAY.

• Arctic Snowbot says:

You sound like you’ve been drinking the corporate kool aid. My P.F. flyers last me a year easy under everyday use. Who even has the money to buy shoes every three months? I’m pissed if I spent $60 on a pair of shoes that doesn’t make it 1.5 years. 3 months? Wtf.

• wellfleet says:

LOLWUT? If the shoes you sell wear out in three months, stop selling crappy shoes. As a retailer, if you expect your products to last three months only, you should set that expectation from the start. It’s your duty to be forthright and tell your customers that they shouldn’t expect their footwear to last 10 months. Do you do that? I doubt it. So, if you don’t set the expectation that you sell poorly made shoes that won’t last a season, you should take them back because you’re dishonest.

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

i’ve been wearing my New Balance MR993’s for at least 18 months. the tread is starting to wear flat, so i just got a new pair, but the old pair is still comfortable, and the upper is worn, but still supports my feet. i have no problem spending $120-150 on a pair of shoes that will last me nearly 2 years.

• Chuft-Captain says:

Three months? You sir, sell shitty shoes and a suspicious story.

• Driblis says:

Three months? What?

I’ve had my shoes for 10 years, worn daily and walked all over, and they’re fine. And they only ran me $20 when I bought them. My work shoes are alt least five years and worn daiyl to an office, still completely fine too.

What kind of terrible shoes do you sell?

4. Ritsu says:

It looks like these are the Jazz vegans? I had the same style and they lasted about three months before both shoes had holes in them at the front. It’s a shame, because I like the way they look and they’re comfortable, but their canvas shoes don’t seem to hold up for very long.

5. jeepguy57 says:

I just had a similar issue win two dogs bed I bought back in December from Amazon. After six months of use, the foam has nearly deteriorated in both of them. I couldn’t find a way to contact the manufacturer to let them know about my disappointment, so I contacted Amazon. I received an email back with a return form to send them both back for a full refund.

I agree with Makoto – this is great customer service but I don’t think it should be the norm. I would have happily accepted a coupon towards new beds, accepting some prorate for the six months use I got. These beds were $50 each.

The problem is that these companies (Saucony included) just make cheap crap overseas and simply replace when there is a complaint, rather than building quality products that would last longer, but cost more, and stand firmly behind them.

6. SilentAgenger says:

Merrill granted me a similar favor with a pair of hiking shoes I ordered from their website. I had an identical pair for four years and they held up really well, but the new ones I got wore down unevenly on both heels after just four months, so I snapped a photo and emailed it to them. They responded the same day, sent me a prepaid shipping label a few days later and I was able to swap the defective pair for a new pair with no hassles (I’ve been wearing the new ones for about a year now with no issues). They didn’t take it to the above & beyond level that Saucony did, but they did what they needed to do to make sure I would be a repeat customer. I love it when a company realizes the value of good customer service.

7. Sunrisecarole says:

That’s how it’s supposed to work!!! Hooray. I’ll keep them in mind.

8. dullard says:

Amazing how there are some posters who have the ability to turn a positive into a negative. We should applaud first class customer service as, unfortunately, it is no longer the rule, but the exception.