Delta Air Lines Announces It’s Shuttering Regional Carrier Comair In September

Customers used to flying with Delta Air Lines’ regional carrier Comair, beware — the airline is shutting down the Cincinnati-based subsidiary at the end of September, as it’s switching to bigger jets that aren’t as expensive to fly. Most of Comair’s employees are in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.

The regional line was already down to 290 flights per day, reports the Associated Press, as its flights, fleet and workforce have all been whittled down by Delta in the last seven years. It was costing Delta too much money to maintain the smaller, less fuel-efficient jets, says the company.

“We just really couldn’t get the cost structure to where we wanted to get it,” said Don Bornhorst, senior vice president of Delta Connection and a former Comair president. “It ultimately was a cost issue; it wasn’t a quality issue with Comair. They’re a good airline, great employees, very innovative … we just could not solve the cost issues.”

Delta has stopped flying 16 of its remaining 50-seat Comair jets and will be leasing the other 28 out to other operators. All employees have received 60-day termination notices, with a few employees staying on after the Sept. 29 shutdown to tie up loose ends.

Comair has hubs at New York’s JFK and LaGuardia airports as well as Cincinnati, and served mainly those Midwestern and East Coast areas.

Delta to shut down regional carrier Comair [Associated Press]

Comments

1. SirWired says:

Poor CVG; I kind of liked that airport.

2. kevinroyalty says:

yes poor CVG, since that is the airport i fly out of on a regular basis. i have heard rumors of a new airline wanting concourse C (comair’s former home in terminal 3) – Southern Air is what i believe they are called. never heard of them. don’t know if it’s a done deal or not, but haven’t seen anything in the news about it.

3. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Can I buy an apostrophe?

• nybiker says:

I had to go back and look for the missing punctuation mark. It’s amazing how I just gloss right over the mistakes when I am not in my proofreading mode (as in when I’m writing my own stuff).

• DemosCat says:

I was going to make a similar comment. However, Mary Beth redeemed herself in my eyes when:

1) She correctly used “it’s” in the first sentence, proving the “its” in the headline was a simple typo.
      2) Correct use of possessive when ending with an “s”, as in: Delta Air Lines’

My Hero!

4. tsume says:

Well, I guess this explains the news two weeks ago that Delta is bringing back mainline flights to our airport (TRI) on bigger planes.

5. AngryK9 says:

It’s a shame to see that happen. I worked for Comair at CVG from 94 to 96. That was back before Delta had full ownership. It was a great company to work for back then. Delta ruined Comair.

Southern Air is not a passenger carrier, as someone said. A single Southern Air Boeing 777 comes into the DHL hub every night. Beyond that, the partnership between DHL and Southern Air isn’t going to have much of an effect other than Delta getting some extra money from the office lease.

I tell ya, I think Delta has been trying real hard to kill CVG. I’ve had so many friends there that have lost their jobs because of something Delta has done. A few of them have come over to DHL (where a lot of Comair folks are already working second jobs) but DHL isn’t what I would call the greatest place on earth to work either….UGH!

6. MarkFL says:

So the tagline, “Ready to go,” is still appropriate. It just has a different meaning.