This HDMI Cable Represents The Edge Of Human Stupidity

We’d like to believe that the packaging for this HDMI cable is the victim of poor translation or some kind of misunderstanding. We sincerely hope that no one working in the consumer electronics industry believes that digital video is susceptible to viruses, those viruses cause noises, and that you can fend them off with a nice coating of Mylar. But we’ve had to deal with the public, and know better.

A reader kindly sent this photo to our estranged ex-cousins over at Gizmodo. This is an HDMI cable marketed to go along with an Xbox. Okay. You don’t need a special cable for an Xbox, but we’ll let that go. The real problem is on the back of the package, where the made-up boasts begin.

“100% Mylar” double shield 1.3c grade cable with anti-virus protection to reduce virus noises and to obtain perfect image transmission

I miss Monster Cable. They probably wish that they had thought of this antivirus cable idea first.

Is There Anyone Stupid Enough to Believe That This Cable Has Anti-Virus Protection? [Gizmodo] (Thanks, Heidi!)

RELATED:
How This $2,000 HDMI Cable Will Change Your Life
Pick The Right HDMI Cables Without Getting Ripped Off

Comments

1. deniedbeef30 says:

Virus Noises have been plaguing me for so long. Thank goodness for this cable!!

• eldergias says:

Lisa Simpson: “That’s specious reasoning, dad.” “By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.”
      Homer: “Hmm; how does it work?”
      Lisa: “It doesn’t work; it’s just a stupid rock!”
      Homer: “Uh-huh.”
      Lisa: “… but I don’t see any tigers around, do you?”
      Homer: “Lisa, I want to buy your rock…”

2. PupJet says:

… … … Yes, take that video cards! You shall no longer allow viruses to infect my compu….what? Viruses can’t enter through my video card? I don’t need this cable?? NOooooOooOo! I must purchase this cable to make my life complete with all the Monster items I purchased!

/sarcasm

3. benbell says:

If only consumerist had this cable, then we would have been commenting on this days ago!

4. Jimmy37 says:

The cable is probably made out of recycled wire hangers, which, we all know, have superior signal-carrying capabilities.

5. scoosdad says:

Yeah and those 180 degree adjustable connectors aren’t doing your signal any favors either. Not to mention that high quality steel cable.

I love how the package says that it’s compatible with displays “that use cable connections”. That covers pretty much all of them.

I think Consumerist gave my PC some “virus noises”, too.

6. colintheriot says:

I think it looks like someone did an accidental Search/Replace and swapped “static” for “virus”. Now, whether an anti-static cable is a real thing…

7. drjohn says:

I bought one of these and still got the flu.

8. MovieBuffoon says:

Its a matter of translation, as the cable is probably coming for low-end factory in China… change “virus” to “static”. Confusion resolved. Its not a matter of stupid consumers.