Save Money On Your Wedding By Saying “I Do” On Friday The 13th

In case you couldn’t tell by all the safes falling from the sky onto people who just slipped on banana peels, today is Friday the 13th. And in spite of all the advances modern culture has made in dispelling superstitions, it looks like marrying couples would rather not start their lives (or at least the next few years) together by saying their vows on this date. This means that bargain-seeking brides and grooms may find some deep discounts… if they’re willing to risk it (insert scary theremin sound here).

Friday weddings have been growing in popularity in recent years, as they generally come cheaper and allow guests an extra day to sleep off the hangover from the reception. But even during the current high season for weddings, fewer couples wed on Friday the 13th.

There will be about 10% fewer weddings today than last Friday — which occurred during many folks’ July 4 holiday — and a whopping 33% fewer weddings than are scheduled for next Friday.

So to keep their businesses steady during these down dates, some wedding services are offering discounts.

A catering service in New Jersey tells ABC it offered discounts of 10-15% for the weddings it is catering today.

On the other end of the spectrum, a couple who had originally — though hesitantly — booked its wedding for Friday the 13th was given a discount when they agreed to move their date to make room for a couple that deliberately wanted to wed on the date.

A company that provides entertainment for receptions says that while it has plenty of client meetings scheduled for today, “It’s very bare in the clubs” where the company plies its trade.

Unless our calendar is lying, the next Friday the 13th isn’t until September 2013, which could be perfect for those who are just putting together their wedding plans now.

Wedding Couples Wary of Friday the 13th Swayed by Vendor Discounts [ABC]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

I might get a discount on the wedding, but then I would have no excuse for not
    remembering the anniversary. I would say take a pass on it based on that alone.

2. dirtleg says:

We were married on Friday the 13th…. in 1980. Don’t recall getting any kind of discounts, though the only reason we picked that day was because of availability of the church and reception hall. Come to think of it maybe that’s why they were available to begin with. But yes, no excuses for forgetting the anniversary, 32 this year. I like to say it was the luckiest day of my life, she’s a peach.

• nybiker says:

Congrats on your anniversary. Today’s my birthday. Back in 1980, though, I was starting a different sort of journey. I was in Portland, OR and I was one of 11 who were starting a Trans-American Bicycle tour. Portland to Williamsburg, VA. 4,500 miles. 90 days. What makes me remember the day (besides it being Friday the 13th of June) was that Mt. St. Helens erupted early in the morning. So much for riding north and then back south again. So, we just headed south. We were 4 days ahead of schedule as soon as we left.

3. josephbloseph says:

Ooh, if it’s in September, you could probably find all sorts of festive deals on the 11th as well as the 13th.

4. Phred says:

Adapt or die.

5. crispyduck13 says:

I wish I could have had this as my wedding anniversary, would be super easy to remember since my birthday is also a 13th. And I’m a cheap-ass, damn it, it was perfect :(

6. crescentcityblues says:

My lovely wife and I were married on October 13th on a Friday…on purpose. We got married by a Justice of the Peace at my parent’s house, and then went to a restaurant. It was great, and cheap, and we only had the family and friends we wanted there.

7. HogwartsProfessor says:

No one will marry me, so I guess I don’t have to worry about it. :(

8. oatmealpie says:

There’s also Friday, December 13, 2013.

9. Feral Ginger says:

Well the fiancee and I were eyeballing September 2013 for our wedding, and we’re broke as hell, so maybe the slim possibility of a lifetime of bad luck is worth the gamble.

10. nybiker says:

Sorry for the double-post. I didn’t think my first click registered.