Officials Investigate Suspicious Wiring In Airplane Bathroom At JFK, No Explosives Found

A Delta flight heading to Madrid out of New York was sent back to the gate at JFK last night after a passenger reported “strange wiring” in the bathroom. After investigating the find, law enforcement officials found no explosives. A U.S. Marshal was on the plane at the time.

The aircraft left the gate ate 8 p.m. and returned over an hour later, after the New York Police Department bomb squad and an FBI unit met the plane and evacuated 206 passengers.

The wires were determined to be non-explosive but were not part of the plane, said Paul Browne, chief spokesman for the NYPD, according to the Associated Press. Officials questioned two passengers, a woman who had difficulty breathing when the wires were discovered, and a man who had been the last one to use the bathroom.

Apparently the worry was that the woman may have been creating a diversion, but that turned out not to be the case. The male passenger said he had nothing to do with the wires, and both were subsequently released.

According to the Transportation Security Administration, the plane taxied to a remote location for the passenger evacuation.  “The aircraft was searched with negative results,” the TSA said in a statement. Delta also issued a statement, saying the flight returned to JFK “out of an abundance of caution” and that “the flight landed safely.”

No explosives found on plane at JFK [Associated Press]

Comments

1. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

I’m concerned about the common sense exhibited by all parties involved. In fact, it’s almost suspiciously sensible. Too suspicious, if you ask me…

2. CrazyEyed says:

Since nobody knows anything, I’m willing to bet cameras will soon be coming to a plane near you.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

WARNING – Toilet cameras are for research purposes only. Tampering with, or disabling Toilet Cameras is a Federal Crime punishable by fines of up to $3,000.
      13 C.F.R. § 121.314(g), (h), (i) (2005); 44 U.S.C.A. § 46321 (2006)

3. Hi_Hello says:

if the send the bill to collection, make sure you send a bill to netzero for finding a bug on their website.

4. Blueskylaw says:

“The aircraft was searched with negative results”

I would rather the aircraft be searched by human being and bomb sniffing dogs.

• Santas Little Helper says:

You got it wrong, negative results is the name of the dog they used.

• Blueskylaw says:

Then it should have been written: The aircraft was searched
        with Negative Results, the result of which was negative.

5. Red Cat Linux says:

I have strange wiring in my house, and I wish someone would investigate it, but that’s seriously unlikely.

The wording is so vague, it could mean “passenger found bare wires sticking out of an access panel in the bathroom” or “passenger found cut bits of wire laying on the lavatory sink”, or “… on the floor”.

Wonder what it looked like?

6. CelticWhisper says:

This just in – airport officials make unnecessarily big show of investigating dead-end, film at eleven!

I love how the Terrorists Searching Americans had to get their two bits in even though the investigation was conducted by NYPD and FBI. Can we abolish them already, please?

7. LastError says:

Maybe it’s me but I’m not seeing any Consumerist angle on this story.

Nobody got ripped off, nobody cheated anyone, there’s no brick in an iPad box, and heck, there’s not even an OP to blame since this is just a wire service story.

Flights are delayed every day, sometimes for suspicious objects. If that alone is enough to merit Consumerist coverage, then the entire website can just post stories about planes going back to the gate. There won’t be any need -or room, for that matter, for actual consumer-interest posts.

8. DarkPsion says:

Yeah, there is a suspicious person in the bathroom. He looks crazy, like he might go off at any moment.
    What? Where exactly is he?
    Right there! In the mirror! He won’t stop mimicking me!
    Tell him to stop!!!!