Man’s Family Determined To Carry Out A Last Request: Order A Pizza & Tip The Server $500

When Aaron passed away at the age of 30, he left his family with a will with all the usual instructions, including that any debt he owed his parents be repaid if he had money in the bank when he died. But he also had another request, one that his family has succeeded in thanks to the generosity of strangers: Order a meal and leave the server a really awesome tip.

His family set up a web site to accept donations to make the following request come true, as laid out by Aaron in his will:

The page has now gone viral in just a few days, with the family announcing that they’ve received over $10,000 in donations. Not only were they able to tip one waitress $500, they have enough money to make over 20 servers happy.

A post today (via Fark) says:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for the overwhelming amount of support you have given my family. Since last night we have received over $10,000 in donations. When I started this site I only expected to receive donations from friends and family. I was hopeful that we would get enough to make my brother’s wish come true. Even in my wildest dreams, I imagined we would receive enough money to do this for 2 waiters or waitresses. What has happened is absolutely incredible.

Right now we have enough money to change the lives of 23 more people, $500 at a time. That is nothing short of amazing. Please know that absolutely every penny we receive will go toward nothing but this. We will pay to host the website. We will pay for the food. Absolutely 100% of the donations we receive will be given to random waiters or waitresses. Our goal is to do this once a week, for as long as you give us the opportunity.

Check out the family’s video of the first tip below:

Aaron’s Last Wish — A $500 Tip for Pizza  [YouTube]

Comments

1. travel_nut says:

I think I have some sand in my eyes…

Seriously, this is great. Waitstaff deal with so much shit on a daily basis…it must be fantastic to be able to brighten their day with such unexpected generosity.

• eccsame says:

Not that this is a tipping post, but a lot of people in a lot of industries deal with shit on a daily basis. Waiters and waitresses have it pretty good, considering. Ever work in a call center doing customer service? I guarantee you no waiter or waitress has ever dealt with the amount of shit those people put up with.

• dush says:

When has a call center person ever had food thrown on them or been physically assaulted by the person they are serving?

• eccsame says:

I waited tables and that never happened to me. Was I the only exception? Where did this myth start that waiting tables was akin to minesweeping in Iraq? Just because you wait tables doesn’t mean that you’re life is a ptsd nightmare.

• crispyduck13 says:

Just because you work a call center doesn’t mean that you’re life is a ptsd nightmare.

There, fixed that for you.

• eccsame says:

Okay, allow me to rephrase that. Waiting tables is bad. Working in a children’s burn ward is much worse. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst job ever, I would put waiting tables at a 3.

• crispyduck13 says:

I just don’t understand your point is here. First of all, it’s none of your business who a charity donates to unless you’ve donated to said charity or work there. So why are you so pissed that this guy wanted to make a nice gesture to waitstaff specifically? There are plenty of charities for plenty of causes. This guy wanted to do this specific thing, the family is honoring it. In my eyes it would be pretty disrespectful to continue collecting money in his honor and then giving to a completely different cause. But then you don’t care about logic or respect of the dead, you just want to troll and be an asshole.

• eccsame says:

Okay, since you aren’t understanding, let me type slowly for you. travel_nut said Waitstaff deal with a lot of shit. I said, a lot of people deal with shit. Waiting tables isn’t horrible.

My point had nothing to do with his gesture – which was very kind. It had to do with the relativity of “shitty” occupations.

In your rush to tell me to go fuck myself and how I’m an asshole, you dropped your reading comprehension helmet.

I had an opinion that differed from yours. It hardly merited such vitriol on your part.

• pdj79 says:

Yes, call center staff deal with a lot of shit…but they also get paid an actual wage, whereas waitstaff are paid dick and are expected to get the difference back in tips. Relying on others to pick up the slack in your pay is a huge frustration as most people either leave shit for tips or don’t tip at all. Yes, you’ll get the occasional big tipper, but what about those days where you pulled in an 8 hour shift and you brought home $30 in tips. Couple that with the $2.10/hour, you just made $46.80 for your 8-hour shift, or $5.85/hour….less than minimum wage. You work your ass off, deal with people who are extremely demanding, and then make a pittance for it. You say call center staff have it just as bad or worse? At least they get minimum wage to sit on their ass and get chewed out over the phone…try doing that standing up, with your hands full, in front of a crowded room of people staring at you as you try not to cry or punch the asshole in the face.

• 180CS says:

My fiance is a waitress and sometimes she comes home crying because of how some people will treat her like literal shit, and leave a mess that you’d rather trade plunging a shit clogged toilet for than deal with. I dealt with this same kind of stuff too when I was younger and a waiter.

Guess what? In college, I became an IT support person, and am now an administrator with my own side business. I have NEVER had to deal with the same level of shit that waitresses do. Sure, waitresses make good money, but a lot of them need to, because they’re paying off loans, working through college, etc. Get to know a few, you’d be surprised how many of them have it pretty hard, yet are doing what they can to ensure they don’t end up on the streets/on welfare.

Are there worse jobs? Yes. Do you think that someone defusing IEDs in Iraq is making as little as a waitress? Hell, a plumber/construction workers job is worse, but that’s why they make the big bucks.

Just to clarify, I think you’re trying to say customer service/support personalty put up with more shit. I am saying that from my and my fiances first hand experiences, I am in MAJOR disagreement with that statement, and I think it’s insulting to everyone that has to wait on your pompous ass that you would rather make snide remarks about mine sweeping in Iraq than simply take this feel good moment for what it is.

You sir, are a dick.

• eccsame says:

I guess I deserve that for stating my opinion. Thanks for being so polite with your rebuke. I hope your fiance finds peace with another job and doesn’t have to deal with the same shit I dealt with as a waiter for much longer. And I hope she doesn’t end up working in a call center which, in my experience, was ten times worse. I’m sorry if this response comes off as trolling. That is not my intent.

• MrEvil says:

The only reason people don’t give the IT guy more shit than he already gets is because the IT guy has ways of exacting revenge. For instance, you can force them to be stuck with a POS computer far longer than someone who is nice to you. You also can give an irate person extra special attention when it comes to monitoring their use of company resources while at work.

Waiters and Waitresses have their own ways of exacting revenge, but those could cost their job and possibly lead to criminal charges. When I exact revenge I’m merely following company policy >:)

• meltingcube says:

This. Its amazing how fast customers change their tune and apologize once they are told they are being terminated for their actions and have a couple of days to move to another provider. I have zero tolerance for customers who abuse customer support staff and have no problem getting rid of a customer who shows complete disrespect to the person trying to help them.

• dush says:

So because that never happened to you that means it never happens? It certainly never happens to call center people.

So if it happens sometimes to servers but never happens to call center people who has the worse job?

• Rob says:

The last time they saw their supervisor.

• crispyduck13 says:

Wow, way to piss all over what is truly a wonderful gesture. His request wasn’t “call up a call-center during peak hours and get the address of whatever poor shmuck picks up the phone so you can mail them a check.” It was “order a meal and leave the server a really awesome tip.” That was his wish.

• eccsame says:

My point was, at least they have a job. A lot of jobs are shitty. Waiting tables is hardly a coal mine.

• who? says:

Working in a coal mine pays better.

• wade says:

A lot of jobs are shitty. Working in a call center is hardly a coal mine.

FTFY

No, your original point was that waiting tables is a piece of cake and that working in a call center is the modern equivalent of piss boy (screaming of the jealousy that you don’t make money working your shitty little job but someone else was fortunate enough, through the generosity of others, to have a nice windfall). Then, it was pointed out that the deceased’s request wasn’t to give $500 to a call center employee, but rather to a waiter or waitress, so you got all butthurt and started spamming your troll juice all over the boards.

Well, to be honest, the spamming of troll juice was your OP. Then you got called on your shit, followed by the butthurt, and then more troll spam. Actually, it really appears as if the butthurt existed all along. I’m surprised that crispyduck has kept up with the slaying of the troll.

• eccsame says:

nope, my point was that, in my experience as a waiter it was never as bad as when I spent three months at a call center. At least as a waiter you can walk away from any shitty situation and take some deep breaths. In a call center, you get screamed at, hang up the phone and get screamed at again. At the end of the day, you make minimum wage and never make tips. You take a ton of calls and, if you spend too much time getting yelled at and don’t log enough calls, you get fired. It was way worse than my waiting job.

Again, just my opinion. I guess I’m wrong since so many people think waiting tables is the end all be all of shit jobs.

• shizwipe says:

I just want to chime in here, call me an asshole if you want but I’ve both waited tables and worked in call centers and had a far more terrible experiences in a call center. Personally, I think it’s because of the impersonal nature of the relationship between a consumer having a problem with a large corporation and the front-line recipient of the phone call to place that grievance. Working at a help-desk or in an IT setting is nothing like handling customer service calls from the general public. I can say that from experience, taking 100 calls a day back to back of angry people is worse than any situation I have ever been through at a restaurant. That’s just my experience, but the reason that I feel that way is that when you deal with people face to face, people are far more reserved in their douche-baginess. When it’s an anonymous interaction, people go off the handle; insulting, degrading, threatening (yes, I have had people threaten to kill me and my family, bomb the call center, etc)…you name it, people will say it when they don’t have to actually deal with the person face to face. Plus, for a call center agent, there is no escape. You are chained to your desk and must re-live the same horrid experience over and over day in, day out. I have no dog in the fight of where this tip should have gone; where ever it went, that is awesome. Just about any job pales in comparison to sweeping for IED’s and I agree that comment was in poor taste, but please don’t lambaste people for having a different experience than you.

• wade says:

This.

It’s not about waiter vs. call center guy, it’s about not being a jealous butthurt douchebag who is trying to (to quote crispyduck) “piss all over what is truly a wonderful gesture.”

• eccsame says:

I don’t care where the tip went. Not part of my initial comment that got this started. Good for the waitress that it went to. It was the guys wish that it went to a waitperson – and it did. That’s awesome. Wish fulfilled.

• SisterMaryPollyEsther says:

I’ve worked in contact centers, restaurants, retail, and tourism. The customers were about the same. Those jobs were simply a means to an end, and I learned a lot about how to deal with people.

• 180CS says:

Yeah, watching that video made me tear up a little.
      I think if the waitress had started bawling I would have too just watching the video.

2. Blueskylaw says:

This is a really great story. Was Aaron perhaps a waiter
    previously and someone stiffed him on a big tip?

3. cactus jack says:

Just to be that guy: Soon people will recognize them and servers will be fighting over their table expecting nothing less than a $500 tip. When it doesn’t happen, look out.

Anyway, it’s a pretty awesome gesture.

4. eccsame says:

So what happens when they go out and have shitty service? Will they still leave a $500 tip?

Also, he started a website to collect donations, got $10,000 and now says that they will do this 23 more times. Word is going to get out. Not only that, he printed the website on every bill to solicit more donations.

Hey, here’s an idea – you already carried out your brother’s wish. Why not donate the rest of the money to a “better” cause. Something that will actually help people who need it.

• cactus jack says:

Exactly. To the titty bar!

• Captain Spock says:

So you are saying that a waiter earning $2.65 an hour and getting stiffed on tips doesn’t deserve it?

• eccsame says:

No, I’m saying a homeless/jobless family of four doesn’t earn tips. $500 would mean a lot to them. And a donation could be made to a local food bank in the brother’s name.

The brother said “have a pizza and tip $500″ not “start a foundation in my name where you hand out $500 tips to local waitstaff”.

• scoutermac says:

For those that are not using a waiting service job as a second job most likely are already on assistance.

• 180CS says:

Personally, I agree with you 100%. Personally, I also think though that we should save those homeless people before worrying about the pandas, or buying more expensive food because it is made with magical rainbow unicorn wind energy/recycled packaging/etc.

Here’s the funny thing about America – anyone can do whatever they want with their money. You and I can politely do what we want with it, as can everyone who donated thousands to this guys cause. Interestingly enough, if this guy wants to, he can continue with this charitable cause indefinitely as well.

I know, you where just commenting, exercising your right to free speech. So am I.

• eccsame says:

yeah, I should have said “too bad they aren’t giving the rest of the money to a better cause”

• Bladerunner says:

I’ve never known a waiter who didn’t make far more than minimum wage, and they are guaranteed minimum wage by law even in states like mine (which is to say, states which hate workers); if they don’t make it in tips the employer is required to make up the difference.

• scoutermac says:

In Indiana most servers only get paid $2 to $3/hr. They depend upon tips for the rest.

• Bladerunner says:

That is the minimum tipped wage. If they don’t make the difference between that and real minimum wage, they are entitled to the difference. A lot of servers don’t know that though.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I think they all know, they just use it as a false rallying cry to drum of sympathy. The fact is a waiter will never make less than minimum wage, as guaranteed by federal law. But as Bladerunner anecdotally points out, a good deal of waiters make ahove minimum wage because of tips.

I am NOT saying waiters have it easy, at all. Period. But they do not live in a world where they only take home $2-3/hr. That’s just false.

• crispyduck13 says:

Except that usually doesn’t ever happen. ‘You made $30 in tips for an 8 hour shift? Tough shit, go tell someone who cares.’

• scoutermac says:

No Arguments here

• Bladerunner says:

Then sue…the FLSA is pretty easy to use when it’s being clearly violated, and as I understand it, a suit instead of a complaint often nets double damages.

While that’s an unpleasant resolution, it’s the resolution for any skeevy illegal practices by an employer.

And for the record…when have you ever asked? I’ve known dozens of waitstaff over the years, and only a very small percentage have even asked…and that percentage got what they asked for.

• crispyduck13 says:

I asked my employer while cocktail waitressing in college, wasn’t just me either as the place was having trouble bringing in customers. They told us specifically “too bad” and “it’ll pick up soon, just hang in there.” I told the manager you can’t pay me less than minimum wage, he told me yes he could. This was PA in 2002.

I didn’t know (none of us did) that you could sue for the money. I did contact someone about them not paying us for mandatory training and got all the employees a $75 check, but that was it.

Just saying, it does happen, and some people definitely don’t know all of their rights. We were young and stupid and they got away with it.

• Bladerunner says:

I’m sorry that happened to you. But the same could be said about any law. The system protects these workers; if they don’t avail themselves of it, it is no one’s fault but their own (And that’s harsh, but it is true).

It is disingenuous to bring up in debate that they might get told no by those who would break the law…sexual harassers usually claim they’re allowed to do it too. As do those who want to require unpaid overtime. You can’t expect someone who’s doing something shady and illegal to say “Oh, wow, I didn’t know that was shady and illegal! Thanks!”

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

$30 in tips over 8 hours $3.75/hour. Then they get their hourly wage, and if it doesn’t equal the federal/state/county minimum wage (whichever is higher) then the employer must pay up the difference.

• galaxirose says:

And if they refuse to pay the difference, then what? You sue? Where do you find a lawyer to help you do that? Where do you find the money to pay that lawyer? How do you keep your job once you’ve sued them? Because that’s going to be a really awesome working environment afterwards… Then, where do you find another job, once word gets out that you’re one of those troublemakers who sues their employers?

There are still places in this country where that does happen, systematically, and workers have no choice but to accept it and keep their jobs, or never work in a restaurant in that town again.

Does it happen all the time? No. Does it happen maybe once every couple months? Definitely.

It’s really easy to say “Just ask and you’ll get what you ask for!” or “Sue their pants off if they don’t!”. But I don’t think most people live in a world where things always work out for the best, just because that’s are what’s “supposed” to happen.

• Bladerunner says:

So therefore, laws don’t ever work!

1, the overwhelmingly vast majority of waistaff make more than minimum wage

2, the small percentage that don’t have an avenue to protect themselves, they they choose not to avail themselves of. No different than harassment laws etc. Sometimes people suck; all we can do is make a system to deal with it.

• LotusNJ says:

But not in all states. I waited tables in NY and my employer did not make up the difference and it was a national chain not a mom and pop. So if I worked 6 hours and got stiffed or had no tables I made around $12 from my employer and that was it.

• crispyduck13 says:

You sir, can fuck right off. Do let the door hit your ass on the way out.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Way over the line there, crispy. He’s suggesting it be donated to someone without a job, or hurting otherwise. At least the waitress has a job, however terrible the job is.

The suggestion was not at all deserving of profanity.

• crispyduck13 says:

The suggestion was not at all deserving of profanity.

Well you and I have different opinions here. If he’s (she?) allowed to criticize this honestly good deed, why aren’t I allowed to call him an asshole? There is no redeeming quality to his comments at all. You go be nice, I’m going to continue calling him a dickhead.

• Bladerunner says:

I feel like (and Loias will undoubtedly feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) the real issue for him was not the profanity (since you can use any fucking word you goddamn well please), but the “fuck right off and leave” aspect. Had you told the OP to “go fuck yourself”, it would have been a profane disagreement, but you basically said to leave and never speak here again, as though he were posting Stormfront propaganda or advocating rape. It seemed harsh to me too…but considering the harshness I’ve applied in the past and present on the interwebz, I didn’t say anything.

• wade says:

After looking at the timestamps on this page, I’m going to say that at the time that it was made the profanity may have not been called for because he(she?) hadn’t quite hit the height of his(her?) trolling douchebaggery, but now, with hindsight being 20/20, I’m glad that your suggestion with profanity included was made at such an early point in time.

• Jane_Gage says:

They will smugly look the shitty server in the eye, not bothering to put their napkin on their plates or the empty sugar packets in their water glasses. Then, they will calmly lay the Consumerist article, the funeral card, and a buck fifty in quarters on the edge of the table and get up to leave. Once the server is at the table, they will be looking in the plate glass window, and when he or she turns around, they will make sneering gestures, like dragging the five hundred dollar bills under their noses, throwing them up in mock glee, and pantomiming buying flat screen TVs and paying for college textbooks. Everyone in the diner will note these local celebrities, and join in on the derision. No doubt the server will feel badly about this for a year, maybe longer.

• deadandy says:

I’d actually rather donate money to someone who I know is going to take it home and use it directly, rather than having some skimmed off the top for “administrative costs” like non-profit board member salaries.

• eccsame says:

I hear that. I only donate to charities that don’t have administrative costs.

• Miss Malevolent says:

Well then, deadandy and eccsame…why don’t you donate your time and service as well as your money to doing charitable things, versus giving it to a middle man and having the demand that THEY do it for free?

• richcreamerybutter says:

Are you qualified to determine this cause? I guarantee you’ll always be able to find a “better” one.

I’m tired of the “whatabouts” that come out of the woodwork every time an unusual charity makes the news. No one is stopping you from soliciting donations for call center workers!

• eccsame says:

Fuck call center workers, I was just using it as an example of another shitty job I had in my line of shitty jobs over the years. The guy said in his “will” quote “Third, leave an awesome tip (and I don’t mean 25%. I mean $500 on a f***ing pizza) for a waiter or waitress.”

Notice how he didn’t say “Go out and start a fucking foundation, raise a lot of money and tip waiters and waitresses $500 wherever you go!”

My point is that they can cross “tip a waitress $500″ off the list and now go out and do a lot of good with that money for other people in need in that guy’s name. Buy a lot of food and donate it to a food pantry, for example. Granted, it won’t help waitstaff, but it could help some local kids who miss 2 out of 3 meals in a day.

But fuck me for suggesting it, right?

• The Beer Baron says:

My God man, do you know what you’re suggesting? You’re advocating denying the express wishes of a dying man! Dead, in this case, which is even more dangerous! If his executors discount his wish and do what you suggest instead of giving a tip to a waiteress, his soul will not be able to rest! Do you want his shade to be forever shackled to this world just because you wanted to countermand his will simply because you thought you knew better? Not only are you opening yourself up to haunting, but you’re preventing him from going on to his eternal reward by refusing to carry out his last wish. Not even the Apparition Abolishers would be able to help you there, since the mess you found yourself in would be one of your own making.

5. TheUncleBob says:

Hope she remembers to file/pay the correct taxes on that, now that her face is plastered on the internet. ;)

• nightshade74 says:

For 2012, anyone can gift $13,000 a year to anyone, with no income or gift taxes.
      Assuming no individual gifts of more than 13K — she should be fine.

• Stickdude says:

If it looks like a tip and sounds like a tip, the IRS is going to treat it as a tip – not a gift.

Otherwise, all waitstaff would simply claim their tips were really just gifts from their customers and not pay taxes on any of it.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That’s a grey area, and she has a video to prove she received a gift as part of someone’s dying wishes.

Plus I doubt the IRS is going to go after a $500 gift.

• George4478 says:

She has a video saying “we’re leaving you a $500 tip” linked to a website about leaving waiters $500 tips and updated posts about how they can now leave more waiters $500 tips. Even Aaron’s will says “leave an awesome tip”.

I think the IRS would go with ‘tip’ and not ‘gift’.

I do doubt that the IRS would bother, though.

• Bladerunner says:

But that someone’s dying wishes were: “… leave an awesome tip (and I don’t mean 25%. I mean $500 on a f***ing pizza) for a waiter or waitress.”, not give a gift, so it’s definitely a tip. I’m sure she will make exactly minimum wage in tips by the end of the year, as per her final filing…

• Nidoking says:

If that applied to tips, tips would be entirely non-taxable unless someone really, REALLY tipped well. Maybe if they met the waitress outside the restaurant and handed her the money, it would be different, but if the $500 is a tip, it’s taxed as tip money.

6. crispyduck13 says:

I read this on Gawker a couple days ago, got a little dusty in the room…

7. Ben says:

She’ll probably spend it all on booze.

8. Delicious Spam is delicious says:

I am so stealing this idea

9. Cerne says:

Maybe I’m just an asshole but it seems to me that taking donations for the tip cheapens the whole thing. Leaving a big tip yourself represents a sacrifice on your part, you’re giving up something to help someone else. The guy should have left the money for it in his will or the family should have covered it. By soliciting donations the family is simply acting as middle men.

• RandomHookup says:

I agree. Heck, the guy couldn’t even come up with $500 himself. Not much of a sacrifice for anyone. If I die tomorrow, my last request is that someone give Cerne $1,000 for admitting he/she might be an asshole.

• Misha says:

This does touch on one thing that occured to me – between anything left in the estate after bills, and the various family members, they couldn’t come up with $500 among themselves? Look, I know there are people who really don’t have that much in discretionary income available – but pooling together from multiple family members wouldn’t have done it? Someone couldn’t have thrown it on a credit card? And clearly they do have discretionary income if they can afford to “host the website and pay for the food” they’re tipping on – they couldn’t take a couple weeks to get the tip money set aside?

• AcctbyDay says:

Bear with me on this.

Perhaps they had to bury their dead family member and already spent tons of cash they didn’t have. Perhaps 500$ was too much for them on top of what they *already* spent. Seeing as the dead person had debts we know about to his parents, PERHAPS there isn’t 500$ lying around for the “my family member wanted to be generous fund”.

500$ can pay for groceries for over a month maybe two, I would’ve collected donations as well. Not everyone is as rich as you imagine.

• Misha says:

Rich as I imagine? I SAID “I know there are people who really don’t have that much in discretionary income available.” I’ve been there.

• Cerne says:

If you afford to take eat out with half a dozen plus people your family is not exactly destitute.

• Cerne says:

• AcctbyDay says:

Additionally, going out for a meal once a week isn’t that expensive nor is the like 10$ it costs to get a domain. I’m not throwing down 500$ because of a last wish because honestly it was a *wish*.

How far do you go on wishes?

• Cerne says:

Depends on how close I was to the dead relative. If their not willing to part with the money to honour their son/brother/whatever then why should anyone else?

• whylime says:

The family member who organized the donation website clearly said “When I started this site I only expected to receive donations from friends and family.” So this website asking for donations was originally created for his family and friends to donate, which makes sense. It’s way easier to set up a website, rather than going to family and friends individually and asking if they’d like to chip in, especially if many of them live far away.
        It appears that it just took off. Just because strangers were touched by the request and wanted to be a part of it, shouldn’t cheapen the entire thing.

• Cerne says:

On what planet is setting up a public website the easy way? Why not just email the details of a paypal account or pass a hat at the funeral?

• eccsame says:

Way to criticize a nice kind selfless act, asshole!

• RandomHookup says:

Whose act was selfless? The guy who said give money away, but didn’t leave the money himself? The family and friends who had to take up a collection to make the guy’s last wish happen?

It’s great to give the waitress $500, but you should at least have some skin in the game.

• Cerne says:

Asking people for money so you don’t have to sacrifice is selfless how?

10. HogwartsProfessor says:

WOw, that’s incredibly cool.

*runs out to get a server job there immediately* I could really use $500. My savings are almost gone.

11. econobiker says:

These small $500 tips will spread out and have much better effects on other people’s lives than say the wealth of the the two guys (lawyer and accountant ) who “inherited” the $400 million dollar fortune of the heiress Huguette Clark who the two men sequestered for most of her later life before she died at 104 years old.

12. ein727 says:

I hate the anger and debate that somehow comes from this very nice gesture.

People willingly gave money to fulfill this mans last will. Furthermore the family is doing with the money what they said they would on the website. Why there is any debate about this whatsoever is beyond me.

When I die if I leave it in my will that I want someone to spend $10,000 to hand out roses in busy restaurants then by God, I want people to spend the money and hand them out.

You might think it is stupid, but screw you – that might be what I want. This man wanted big tips to be left for the waitstaff and they are following through with it. The End. Go be angry somewhere else please and thank you.

I’d like it if more people did these sort of “pay it forward” things…

• Draw2much says:

I’m disappointed too. This was a wonderful idea for a “last wish”. Good on the family for going to all the effort to make it happen. :)

• Cerne says:

There’s debate because in a free society people are free to disagree. Here’s a tip for your will. If you want those flowers handed out put some money aside now