Maiming A Slot Machine Isn’t Going To Make Up For The Fact That You Lost

Listen, we know what it’s like to keep shoving money into a slot machine, mesmerized by the blinking lights and the possibility that this time will be different, this time will bring riches beyond imagining! But should you lose, don’t act like a mad baby and maim the casino’s machine. That’s just immature.

There’s apparently a crime wave moving through the country’s casinos, including damaged machines and acts of violence. Gamblers losing money are taking out their rage on the machines and punching them when they don’t score big, reports the New York Times.

“It happens like three, four times a week, and that’s only on my shift,” said a security guard at a casino in Queens, N.Y.

He says angry gamblers will punch, kick or slap a slot machine that doesn’t garner a jackpot, shattering the glass. Sometimes it costs those gamblers more money to pay for the damage than they lost playing the game.

“I lost $300 without a bonus, so yes, I broke the machine,” one 56-year-old man told security guards when he punched through a terminal screen in January. “And I’d do it again.”

Everyone from police officers, hand surgeons and slot machine repair workers are used to these kinds of slot violence, as they’re the ones left to deal with the aftermath.

“I quite frankly was somewhat surprised when I saw the numbers,” said the Queens district attorney, whose office prosecutes the cases. “The last thing that I anticipated was that we would have patrons punching out the machines. I guess they assume the machines won’t fight back.”

It’s getting even more expensive now to fix the machines, as casinos continue to switch from old-fashioned machines with spinning reels to all-digital versions with LCD or touch screens.

To be clear — patrons don’t usually try to actually break the part of the machine where the game is played. Instead, they take their ire out on the screens that advertise the games’ names. Because maybe, just maybe, that machine could still dispense a big payday and make all the punching worth it.

*Thanks for the tip, Rowell!

At Casino, Fuming Gamblers Leave Behind Maimed Machines [New York Times]

Comments

1. ferozadh says:

When you gamble you need to leave your emotions at the door. Ask any investment banker.

2. CrazyEyed says:

But isn’t it self defense? The machine just robbed you…

• everynewday says:

The machine didn’t rob them. They willingly gave the machine the money and were upset that the machine didn’t give them their money back and then some.

3. incident-man stole my avatar says:

“You gotta play to lose!” – Ruth Greenfeld

4. Hi_Hello says:

oh no, people are hurting themselves because of these slot machines. When will they pass a new law to ban the slot machines?

5. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

Putting money into a slot machine is pretty much the same as lighting it on fire, flushing it down the toilet, or, if in Canada, putting it in the dryer.

6. Shorebreak says:

Standard behavior these days. “If I can’t hit the jackpot, I’ll make sure no one else can either!”

7. Thunder Storm says:

At least the screens won’t cost more than $500

8. apasserby says:

At the casino in Charles Town, WV I’ve seen people not only punch the glass, but pour their drinks in the bill acceptor, rip off the handle and literally try to push the machine on to the floor.

9. PragmaticGuy says:

People are nuts. I think they should have someone from 1-800-GAMBLER in each aisle.

10. Random Lurker says:

People go to a casino expecting to win?

11. menty666 says:

See, if they’d just put that money into a 6 month CD that gentleman could have had himself a whopping $303.01.

12. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

Casinos should install some old, junk machines specifically for people to take out their anger on.

13. MBZ321 says:

Carls Jr. Computer: Thank you! Your account has been charged. Your
    balance is zero. Please come back when you can afford to make a
    purchase.
    Woman at Carls Jr.: What? NO! [She hits the machine. An alarm goes
    off, and a sign appears on the computer saying “Carls Jr. Frowns
    Upon Vandalism.”]
    Carls Jr. Computer: Im sorry youre having trouble. Im sorry
    youre having trouble.
    Woman at Carls Jr.: My kids are starvin!
    Carls Jr. Computer: [the woman kicks the computer, and it sprays a
    chloroform-like substance in her face, knocking her out] This
    should help you calm down. Please come back when you can afford to
    make a purchase.

14. RayanneGraff says:

I I worked at a casino back in 06, and you would not believe how many people do shit like this & worse. Casinos are home to literally the dregs of society- we had people destroying the machines when they lost, peeing in the seats(they didn’t wanna leave the machine & would literally hold it for hours till they lost control & wet themselves), starting fights with other patrons if they won on “their” machine, etc. We had drug dealers harassing the guests, and we had a huge problem with prostitutes trying to “work” on the casino floor. Yes, prostitutes. Nasty ones too. Not the Bunny Ranch kind who shower and get tested regularly, but the 4-inches-of-greasy-brown-roots & stained sweatpants-wearing kind that carry Walmart bags for purses. I don’t think I have to explain why I only worked there for 3 months.