FTC Warns About Scam Tied To Affordable Care Act

It’s barely been two weeks since the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the most controversial portion of the Affordable Care Act, and scammers have already been busy on the phone trying to steal folks’ money by pretending they work for the government and need your sensitive, personal information.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, scammers call people up and identify themselves as federal employees. The callers say that, as per a completely fictional condition in the Affordable Care Act, they need to verify some personal information.

“They might have the routing number from your bank, and then use that information to get you to reveal the entire account number,” writes the FTC. “Or, they’ll ask for your credit card or Social Security number, Medicare ID, or other personal information.”

These people do not work for the government and are just trying to commit fraud via identity theft.

“If someone who claims to be from the government calls and asks for your personal information, hang up,” says the FTC. “It’s a scam.”

With the information they ask for, they could run up charges on your credit cards, debit money from your checking account, open new credit card, checking, or savings accounts, write fraudulent checks, or take out loans in your name.

If you get one of these calls, hang up and file a complaint at ftc.gov or call 1-877-FTC-HELP. You also can file a complaint with your state’s Attorney General’s office.

Comments

1. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

In before someone else says “The whole ACA is a scam!”

2. Akuma Matata says:

u sure they weren’t talking about the act itself?

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Before hanging up, it might be agood idea to pump them for information, and/or write down the number that is calling you. Immediately hanging up doesn’t help much when reporting, does it?

• wagnerism says:

If a scammer is stupid enough to give out information and not spoof caller ID, they’re begging to be caught. It’s a cry for help, really.

• RvLeshrac says:

Good idea. I frequently like to waste my time trying to aid law-enforcement and regulatory agencies that generally don’t give a shit about actually punishing anyone.

4. sp4rxx says:

That title is misleading – it should be “DUE TO” not “TIED TO”

Opinions aside, good or bad, “tied to” implies some sort of super secret government scam for this act.

(insert html code to open flamegates here)

• MeowMaximus says:

We have tracked your IP address, the black helicopters are on the way. Have a nice day.

5. awesome anna says:

I find it sad people are this stupid and fall for it….. But hey! Let’s continue to make cuts to education, eh? I mean… it’s not hurting anyone right?

• Torgonius wants an edit button says:

This is not stuff you get taught in school. It’s stuff your parents should teach you if they are being, well, parents.

• awesome anna says:

Well ya.. I know that, but still seemed funny.

• RvLeshrac says:

Unfortunately, many parents don’t give a damn.

The ones that DO give a damn are too busy working three jobs to pay for ridiculously expensive insurance and keep up with both their student loans and the shitty mortgage they were scammed into.

6. HogwartsProfessor says:

I wish I’d get these calls. I want to mess with them.

Also, where the hell is Open Thread? Are we not having it anymore?

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Yes, where is open thread??? I had things to share. And I wanted to whine. Maybe it’s better that way. I guess I’ll just go eat worms. :(

7. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

They won’t get anywhere with me. My doctor’s office tried to have someone from a service call and verify patient information before appointments. I picked up the phone, didn’t recognize the phone number and this woman started asking me personal questions, and I flat out told her I wouldn’t answer any of her questions because I didn’t know who she was. I grilled her for a while, but still didn’t give her any info. Went to appointment the next day, and they asked me why I didn’t verify my info when the service called the night before. I told them I’d do it face to face in the office, but nothing else.

As far as I know, this has stopped, at least for me…no more calls.

Oh, and I like how you can file a complaint at ftc.gov, as we all know how well that works to quell Rachel and her minions.