Consumerist Friday Flickr Finds

Here are ten of the best photos that readers added to The Consumerist Flickr Pool this week, picked for usability in a Consumerist post or just plain neatness.

boston july 4 woman with gold umbrella on head close up
(#2 – photographynatalia)

I Love Fridays - Viernes - Vendredi
(#3 – MY PINK SOAPBOX)

Whole Foods Market, Green Neon
(#4 – Glyn Lowe Photoworks)

VENUS
(#5 – Scott D. Rogers)

Magazine Amid Rebar
(#6 – C_Dubyaa)

magic trick
(#7 – {Jk} qc)

Ford Thunderbird in front of the Avalon Hotel - South Beach, Miami FL
(#8 – ChrisGoldNY)

Love
(#9 – JoelZimmer)

NYC artsy fire escape
(#10 – MY PINK SOAPBOX)

Our Flickr Pool is the place where Consumerist readers upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr Pool, and perhaps they’ll be featured in a future story, or even highlighted in a Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds post. See previous winners of the Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool finds here.

Comments

1. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

So, do any of these explain what happened yesterday?

• belsonc says:

If what happened to a free website is such a BFD to you that you absolutely need to know, then I’d like your life.

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

Lots of us would like the promised explanation so I see nothing wrong with the question.

• TrustAvidity says:

I’m not upset about the outage and understand it happens. I’m kind of curious about what the issue was though.

• Jawaka says:

Yeah. Being curious about and asking what happened isn’t the same as complaining about it.

• Blueskylaw says:

This is the second time this happened – This is the second time they promised an explanation of what happened – This is the second time they failed to provide an explanation

• belsonc says:

Given that explanation, I understand the beef. I don’t agree with it, but I understand it.

“I may not agree with what you say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.” –Voltaire

• Torgonius wants an edit button says:

Yeah, it’s a free site, and if they hadn’t promised an explanation, then there’d be nothing more than curious grousing.

Conumerist set an expecation with its customers, though, and is failing to meet that expectation. If a ‘real’ company pulled the same thing, Consumerist would be leading the flame-thrower brigade.

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

Exactly. And, regarding the pictures, doesn’t the first one make the little girl in the middle look like a zombie?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Precisely this. This is not the first time Consumerist has shown it has the same leanings as other companies.

I probably wouldn’t have cared much, either, but their verbage actually stated they WOULD provide an explanation – now they haven’t.

• Fast Eddie Eats Bagels says:

EECB… Charge back?

• cactus jack says:

The way the site lampooned how Sony (and other companies) handled their hack, I’d expect a bit more from this site. Especially since they said they would inform us as to what is happening (and if there was an exploit that potentially could harm its readers’ computers, I would expect answers).

• belsonc says:

Given your wording, is it possible they’re not ready to say yet? That they’re still looking into how to fix it? (and if that’s right, then in theory there’s no reason why they couldn’t say “We said we’ll tell you, and we’ll tell you – just let us finish fixing it first”, I’m with you on that)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The right course, then, would be to state exactly that as soon as the site was restored. Something to the effect of “Sorry we were down. We’re still working to correct all the fine details and will provide an explanation once we’re sure everything is back up.”

I’d be thrilled with that.

• cactus jack says:

This blog shat all over Sony for their general handling of the situation while keeping people in the dark. I see no difference here.

I’m a bit upset because the only way I found out about a potential trojan exploit was through the comments (I’m sure I’m not the only one who uses a work computer to see this site). Had I not looked at a few older threads I never would have known. Thankfully all came up clean, but still not too thrilled that this keeps happening.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Somewhat related – there is always an Open Thread by this time today, but today there is not.

Consumerist doesn’t want us to talk about it methinks…

2. RandomLetters says:

Love the ’56 Thunderbird.

3. I look at both sides of the story says:

#6: Staged photograph. The magazine cover (or whatever it is) appears to have been placed underneath the rebar. I intensely dislike staged photographs, like dolls or mannequins positioned in disaster scenes.

#10: Probably the the best photograph. Good use of angles, texture and colors. A million other people with cameras might have walked by and missed this.

• AstroPig7 says:

Most photographs are staged. Do you not like any staged photographs or just staged photographs of the nature you described?