You Might Want To Skip Any Airline Not On This List Of Those Who Serve Free Booze

The good news is some very discerning minds have gone ahead and done the hard work of assembling a list of airlines that serve free alcohol on in economy class. The bad news is that you’re mostly out of luck when it comes to flights in the U.S. Sigh.

There are fees for everything these days — from carrying on bags on some airlines to getting a window seat on others. It’s good to know, then, that there are some airlines that won’t mind giving you a nice little perk. Of course, you should drink responsibly no matter if you’re paying for alcohol or not.

Travel blog Map Happy has a great, fairly comprehensive list outlining what seems to be almost every airline ever, including whether the carrier has free drinks on both domestic and international flights.

So far as U.S. airlines go: Delta has free beer and wine on International flights longer than six hours and American Airlines gives out beer and wine on flights between the U.S. and Europe, Asia and certain countries in South America.

Doesn’t look like any carriers in our country serve free drinks on domestic flights, which isn’t shocking. But as I’ve learned, you can always ask nicely with a smile and slip in that you have a crippling fear of flying. You never know when a kindly flight attendant will take pity on you.

Check out the source link for the complete list.

The Ultimate List of Airlines That Serve Free Alcohol [Map Happy]

Comments

1. alittle1584 says:

Alaska Airlines serves free beer/wine on their Horizon flights…

2. frank64 says:

Why give it away when the can sell it for $7?

• DaveInBillsburg says:

While this is true, they do make a heavy profit selling alcohol but they also don’t want passengers drinking too much, getting drunk and causing a scene.

3. Cicadymn says:

I was on an American Airlines flight to and from the UK from the US last September and didn’t see anything about this free booze. Maybe the UK doesn’t count?

Err, looked at the release on the site, apparently it started 2/1/12.

Boy, a drink would have helped while crammed into the middle seat of a five seat row for 9 hours.

4. Cranky Owl says:

Yay Lufthansa! Nothing like a nice cold German beer mid-flight.

5. Noir says:

LAN gives wine and beer on economy. Quantas on the other hand gives beer, wine, vodka and a bazillion other things (sadly their food is shit).

6. huadpe says:

Porter is always great about the free booze, even on short hops.

• orion70 says:

Yep, and I think they feature microbrews too don’t they? Plus if I remember correctly, they also feed you. Only drawback is no IFE.

7. edman007 says:

US Airways Shuttle and Delta Shuttle has free booze, and that’s domestic only, but the flights are all very short, and often it’s quite hard to get more than one as they are often landing before they can finish the first beverage pass.

8. Cerne says:

For my fellow Canucks: I’m sure you already know how awesome West Jet is, but did you know that the Toronto to Montreal flights have free booze?

9. HogwartsProfessor says:

Eh, I don’t need it. Although if the plane has issues, I might need one once we crash–er, land.

10. HenryES says:

United IAD to FRA in March – 8 Hrs and not a drop, cheap bastards. I remember back in the day when airlines seemed like they were trying to get you to drink and pass out on international flights (drink before dinner, wine with dinner, brandy after dinner).

• BurtReynolds says:

I’ll be taking that trip in the fall. I think I have a real Lufthansa flight home at least. Way there is operated by shitty United.

11. Libertas1 says:

I don’t need alcohol AFTER I get on the plane, I need it TO get on the plane. To solve this problem, I arrive a few hours early and enjoy the Boulevard Brewery bar at KCI.

12. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

The 4 times I’ve flown United to/from Australia they’ve always supplied free booze. The last time was 5 years ago, though.

13. Alex d'Indiana says:

Wow. The US’s airlines are even less generous than Muslim countries’ airlines when it comes to alcohol. And we don’t even have a good excuse.

14. MarkFL says:

Yes, with all the sober passengers going bat-guano insane these days, I am certain that if there is one thing that will make air travel more enjoyable, it’s plying my fellow passengers with free booze.

15. lauxdw says:

I think I can forgo booze for a couple of hours…

16. lauxdw says:

I think I can forgo booze for a couple of hours…

17. nodaybuttoday says:

British Airways had free liquor on all of their flights, including Philadelphia to the UK and UK to Rome. They also have fairly cheap 1st class seats for flights inside Europe. It was worth it for the First class lounge alone.