One Surefire Way To Destroy Your Attic Is By Fighting Spiders With A Blowtorch

When a broom or shoe just won’t do to kill spiders and/or rid your home of their cobwebs, we beg you, do not take matters into your own fire-weapon wielding hands. A man trying to clear his yard of cobwebs picked up a blowtorch and began blasting away, causing a fire that severely damaged his home.

The California man reportedly used a propane blowtorch in his backyard, which then ignited dry plants and started a fire in the attic. The man didn’t realize his home had caught fire and went into the front yard. His brother-in-law then noticed smoke coming from the top of the house, reports ChicoER.com.

The family all made it outside by the time the fire spread, and luckily no one was injured. Firefighters cut a hole in the roof to draw the fire upward, but by the time it was extinguished the home had suffered $25,000 in damages. The family doesn’t have insurance, and won’t be able to stay in the home for the time being because of destroyed electrical wiring.

A cautionary tale if ever we’ve heard one.

Man sets house ablaze while killing spiders with blowtorch [ChicoER.com]

Comments

1. Kuri says:

Someone watched Arachnophobia too many times.

2. Coffee says:

I did this once with a tiki torch and a can of bug spray on wasps’ nests hanging under the eaves of my sister’s clubhouse. Of course, I was 19. And it was awesome.

3. kcvaliant says:

Have to pay better attention. We burn our yard at the lake. Easier then weedeating the weeds as grass does not grow on rocks.

4. blogger X says:

“…the home had suffered $25,000 in damages. The family doesn’t have insurance…”

D-A-M-N…

• Boo LaRue says:

I am always befuddled when I hear that people aren’t carrying insurance either on their own dwelling, or as renters, if that’s the case.

• AcctbyDay says:

This is why you have insurance. The homeowner was being cheap and it may very well ruin him. You don’t wish ill on anyone, but it’s his own fault both through using a flamethrower apparatus as well as not having insurance.

Absolutely no care or pity coming from me.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Wait, how the hell do you NOT have homeowners insurance? If you have a mortgage, aren’t you required to have it? My mortgate company pays it. I just make my house payment and they do it.

• dorianh49 says:

Maybe they own the house outright. Probably not this guy, but probably his parents, or something.

5. StarKillerX says:

My in-laws neighbor did something similar with one of those weed killing propane torch setups. He was killing the weeds around the foundation of his house and without noticing set his plastic mulch on fire and then moved around to do the another side and the smoldering mulch ended up igniting his wood siding. Luck for him my father in-law smelled the smoke (his office is upstairs on the side of the house) and looked around and noticed the fire before it worked it’s way inside the wall or roof.

• crispyduck13 says:

I didn’t know this death by fire method for weeds existed until I read these comments. Here I thought I was on the cutting edge with boiling water.

• RvLeshrac says:

This qualifies as “most worthless shit ever.” Followed by the boiling water thing.

Burn weeds? That’s great. They’re going to come back.

Poured boiling water on your weeds? That’s great. They’re going to come back.

If you want to get rid of weeds, you have two options: Pull them and then till the soil, or use weed killer. <- Period.

• who? says:

If you really want to get pedantic, the weeds are going to come back no matter what you do. Pulling them isn’t always better, since you’ll probably scatter seeds everywhere.

• Long Ben Avery says:

Fortunately boiling water does not involve flames, unless of course you live in a fracking area!

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

“A cautionary tale if ever we’ve heard one.”

The moral being, of all things, get insurance for your home, dumbass.

7. crispyduck13 says:

No insurance? FYI it was a pretty decent house in a nice looking neighborhood. I just don’t know what the hell people are thinking sometimes. Then again, this is a guy who thought a blowtorch was an appropriate tool to destroy cobwebs.

8. dolemite says:

“The family doesn’t have insurance” C’est la vie!

9. Applekid says:

Was this before or after getting his shotgun tied in a bow, the dynamite painted to look like a female spider blew up in his face, and trying to drop an anvil on it?

10. s25843 says:

I got a Google Safe Browsing warning when trying to access this page for some reason..

11. ScandalMgr says:

Attention!

I also got a virus warning. It appears the Consumerist.com website has been loaded with malware distribution characterized here:

Please read and implement the safety precautions at the bottom of this page.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

That sounds like virus talk to me! Did I also win the lottery in Ireland?

• RvLeshrac says:

People can’t seem to tell the difference between a compromised host and a compromised different host.

Nothing to see here. Move along. MOVE ALONG.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Consumerist runs no third party ads so it appear to be a compromised host (Consumerist) and a not a compromised different host (ad network).

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

It installed malware on my PC. All of a sudden I got antivirus2012.exe in my system as well a a damn flakey keyboard. Arrrgh!

12. BMR777 says:

For those of you saying he should have had insurance, well, he probably should have, but I’m not sure that insurance would pay out due to the fact that he was USING A FREAKING BLOWTORCH INSIDE OF HIS HOUSE! I believe insurance companies call that ARSON instead of an accident!

Reminds me of The Simpsons where Moe burns the bar down for the insurance money only to realize that you should buy the insurance FIRST.

• who? says:

What’s the difference between this guy using a blowtorch, and a plumber using a blowtorch to sweat pipes? Or someone using a heat gun to strip paint? A high school friend’s house was burned to the ground by a plumber. The insurance paid for that. Homeowner’s insurance usually pays for stupid, believe it or not.

• Republicrat says:

The plumber has had a lot of practice and is watching to see if any sparks get out of control and is prepared to deal with any fire that might get started (extinguisher on hand + ready access to water).

• AcctbyDay says:

He was outside, seriously CAREFULLY read the article.

• stevenpdx says:

Arson is a crime. Crime requires intent. I’m sure the man didn’t intend to burn his uninsured house to the tune of $25,000 in damage.

He wasn’t using the blowtorch inside his house. He was using it outside in the back yard and accidentally ignited some dried plants and the resulting fire spread to the house.

Insurance would have covered this mishap. It’s a shame he didn’t have any.

• I look at both sides of the story says:

Arson is the crime of willfully or maliciously setting a fire for an unlawful or improper purpose. Arsonists set fires for a multitude of reasons, including vandalism, revenge, monetary gain, and mental illness. Whether used to cover up a crime, or as a violent act against another person’s property, arson is a destructive method of achieving unethical goals. Beyond that, it carries the risk of severe injury, if not loss of life, to others.”

The homeowner made a mistake. Insurance or not, the homeowner’s goal was not to deliberately burn the house down.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I doubt spider abatement is an unlawful or improper purpose. It still might not be covered under insurance (I think it still is) but I doubt it’s arson.

13. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

This made me laugh out loud when I saw the headline and then read the article! I mean, really, unless you’re dealing with giant mutant radioactive spiders from outer space, no need for flames inside the residence. I have some particularly industrious harmless spiders here in PA, and I just get the shop vac after them, take the canister outside into the neighbor’s field, and dump it out.

I’m also trying to imagine the conversation with his wife if she wasn’t home while this occurred. “Uh, hon, remember when you said there were spiders in the attic? Well, about that. You’ll never believe what happened today…”

OMG I think I’ve seen everything now.

• AcctbyDay says:

He was outside, oh FFS, HE WAS OUTSIDE.

He’s an IDIOT, but he was OUTSIDE.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Yes, he was – I was too busy laughing and thinking about giant spiders to see that he was trying to get rid of cobwebs in his yard. That’s even worse, I mean they’re outside not inside…now I’m just shaking my head.

14. alexwade says:

When I saw this man lived in Chico, CA, I immediately thought “I’m not surprised”.

• finbar says:

My thoughts as well. Before reading the article I actualy thought this sounded more like somthing that would happen up the road in Paradise.

15. jacobs cows says:

This guy sounds like Al Bundy.Chalk one up for the spiders.

16. Long Ben Avery says:

What’s the betting that alcohol was involved!

17. aleck says:

Blowtorch cleanup and no insurance.
    Did Beverly Hillbillies run out of money and go back to their original living conditions?

18. Cranky Owl says:

I HATE spiders, so aiming a blowtorch at them seems like a reasonable approach.

19. HogwartsProfessor says:

HEY IDIOTS!!! Half the country is in a severe drought! Using flames outside is a BAD IDEA!!!

Why didn’t he just knock them down with a broom? Asshole!