It’s Free Slurpee Day At 7-Eleven

UPDATE: As the day has gone on (and it creeps closer and closer to the 7 p.m. deadline in each successive time zone), we’re hearing gripes from the Slurpee-hungry public who showed up at their local 7-Eleven only to be greeted by the bad news that enough of the headache-inducing delight had been given out for the day.

Rana from New York City sends in the below photo of the scrawled note posted on the door of a Manhattan 7-Eleven.

“Tons of people came up in the few seconds I was standing there and left very disappointed,” she writes.

———-

It’s July 11, which the 7-Eleven chain of convenience store has adopted as its birthday. And birthdays mean free food for everyone — or at they should. So from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. today, 7-Eleven stores around the country are handing out free Slurpees.

In addition to the standard “at participating stores” and “while supplies last” stipulations, the free Slurpees appear to be limited to the unusual 7.11 oz. size.

Regardless, it’s a free treat — and a free brain-freeze headache if you drink yours too quickly. And it doesn’t require that you dress up like a cow to cash in.

Comments

1. Rexy does not like the new system says:

Damnit, I was just there. Oh, well, got my double gulp for a dollar and some much needed caffeine.

2. Hi_Hello says:

this remind me when I went to a 7-11, some lady took a cup, grab a ‘sample’ and put the cup back with the rest of the cups…

3. Cyniconvention says:

Weirdly enough, I don’t think we have one in this city…

4. nugatory says:

where are 7-Eleven stores? is it primarily regional? I took a look and the closest to me is a 240 mile round trip.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Well, what are you waiting for??????

• nugatory says:

if 7/11 (date) was on the weekend, I might be tempted to use that as an excuse to go for a drive. Its actually quite nice drive out that way, and I don’t need much of an excuse to stop off at the meadery out there.

• Rexy does not like the new system says:

Maybe it’s just Colorado, but they’re everywhere. There’s one that’s a 2 minute drive away from me that opened a few months ago and there’s another one just a few minutes from that one.

• Not Given says:

There were 2 here, the buildings were sold and only one is still a convenience store.

• elangomatt says:

27 miles to the nearest one for me in Northern Illinois. Well, the 7-11 locator says there is one 7 miles from here, but that town is actually over 50 miles away.

• This Dude Abides says:

There are a bunch here in the Portland area… and they’re even opening new stores. The two closest to me are literally ten blocks away from each other.

5. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

7-11 just bought a couple of Open Pantry stores in Wisconsin; they’re our first 7-11s. I think they’re officially 7-11s now, but they’re not done updating them. I didn’t see a Slurpee machine when I stopped in one the other day. Next year, I guess!

6. Hirayuki says:

Also known as The One Day Hirayuki Can’t Get a Big Gulp. (Between 11 and 7, anyway.)

7. PragmaticGuy says:

Is this supposed to be a good thing? Does Bloomberg know about this?

• Torgonius wants an edit button says:

Bloomberg was made aware when representatives of the company arrived at his office with a very large ‘sample cup’ filled with a new flavor… green paper.

He deemed these a wonderful, nutritious snack that everyone should enjoy.

8. CrazyEyed says:

and quite a delicious one at that

9. Carlee says:

There are two 7-Elevens within a mile radius of my house which is good because the first one I went to had a similar “no more free slurpees” sign posted. At the 2nd location, they had a stack of around 25 cups (not sure if they had more stocked away). There was a lot of people who showed up when I was leaving.

This was the first time I’ve gone to 7-Eleven for the free slurpee – I like slurpees (well, Icees) but I’ve never gone out of my way to get this freebie…

10. D-FENS says:

I stopped by a 7-11 on the way home today and managed to get a free lemon Slurpee. I was amazed, since this was the same location that previously demanded I give them the “original” coupon when they were giving away free coffee last year, despite the fact it was a printable coupon promo.

11. Libertas1 says:

Dibble dabble, are you requiring a spoon straw with your slurpee my friend ,dibble dabble.