Grocery Shrink Ray Scoops Two Ounces Out Of Kellogg’s Raisin Bran

Kellogg’s may still market its Raisin Bran as having “two scoops” of raisins, but those scoops just got a little smaller. A Raisin Bran lover who uses the name Gordon Comstock here at Consumerist noticed the difference, and was lucky enough to still have the old box sitting in his recycling bin so he could prove the difference.

I thought you might be interested in the latest example of the Grocery Shrink Ray.

Raisin Bran is one of my regular breakfast cereals, although not my only one. It comes in a couple of sizes, and is often on sale, so I keep an eye out for which size offers best value, and I sometimes buy a few boxes at a time.

Last week, I noticed that both of my regular sizes of the cereal had been subjected to the Grocery Shrink Ray. What used to be a choice between a 25.5oz box and a 20oz box is now a choice between a 23.5oz box and an 18.5 oz box.

I bought myself a 23.5oz box, and fished a 25.5oz box out of the recycling for comparison. Photos are attached. As you can see, the two boxes are essentially identical except for the size.

Goodbye, two ounces of delicious cereal: you will be missed.

Comments

1. spartan says:

I find that the store brand Raisin Bran tastes just as good as the name brand. Seems like the same amount of raisins too

2. Chuft-Captain says:

I’ll be fair, at least they don’t appear to be trying to hide it , per se. No redesign of the packaging, no reshaping I can see, no big callouts to distract you about “improved taste” or anything like that. They just did it, quite matter-of-factly.

• Coffee says:

You mean aside from the whole “leaving the box exactly the same size and only reducing the size of the plastic bag inside it so that no one notices that there’s less actual cereal inside” thing, right?

3. cactus jack says:

Raisin Bran. Now more Satanic for your morning kvlt needs.

4. Foot_Note says:

i buy wegmans “Bran twigs” and just add my own cashews+bannana’s or goldenraisens…

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

So now I know why the 25.5 oz size was discontinued at half price at the local store. I scooped up 4 boxes. I wondered why they would discontinue a name brand long running cereal.

6. daemonaquila says:

I don’t like getting less for the same price, but I’d really like it if cereal companies would make smaller boxes in general. When you don’t have kids, and you and your spouse don’t always agree on cereal, and when you live in the south and it’s summer, a box of cereal does not last and you end up throwing half of it away as it turns into some kind of pseudo-styrofoam material.

7. GenXCub says:

I want it just because it has 666 grams of food now. All food items should do this. It would be so metal.

8. matlock expressway says:

“As you can see, the two boxes are essentially identical except for the size.”

You do realize there’s a _third_ dimension now, right?

• Gordon Comstock says:

Ooh, you so smart!

I was talking about the design of the box itself. Also, even if the “third dimension” were slightly different, the fact is that a shopper is unlikely to notice that when he or she doesn’t have the two boxes available for a direct comparison.

9. Skwidspawn says:

Just wanted to drop in and say that this is by far the best shrink ray title you guys have made yet. Props!

10. OthelloAndreus says:

This is why I am glad that grocery stores in Canada list the unit price below the product price. Makes for very easy comparison shopping on store versus name brands.

11. BigHeadEd says:

“You get one 1.843 scoops of raisins in a package of Kellogg’s Raisin Bran”. Just doesn’t work as well as a jingle.

12. Libertas1 says:

I wish the 2 ounces removed were all raisins. Raisins = yuck.