T-Mobile Store Rampage Caught On Video For Everyone To Enjoy

For several years, Consumerist and our readers have offered tips and suggestions for getting refunds from wireless providers without resorting to violence. Apparently, there is a man in the UK who does not read Consumerist.

The below video shows a man going bat-poop crazy at a T-Mobile store in Manchester. He smashed shelves and took a fire extinguisher to various displays, reportedly all over a refused refund.

“There were seven members of staff and a number of customers in store at the time,” a company rep tells the Daily Express, “and we are very pleased to say that none were injured during the incident.

The rep says the blow-up “was in relation to a refund that we were not able to give — as it was clearly outside of the stated terms and conditions…. We are currently assessing the damage, and will be re-opening the store as soon as possible”

The Express reports that the man has been charged with criminal damage and not maintaining a stiff upper lip (okay, we made that last one up).

Now, grab your popcorn and watch the clip:

Comments

1. Jaynor says:

Looks like me every time I walk into Best Buy.

2. Jeff asks: "WTF could you possibly have been thinking? says:

Haven’t we all felt like doing that somewhere, sometime! I say bully for him!

3. Vermont2US says:

Where’s Dr. Phil when you need him?

4. Red Cat Linux says:

I think I had this same reaction in a Sprint store. I clicked this link just to make sure it wasn’t me.

• taaurrus says:

LOL!! RedCat is thinking – OMG did I really do that? I thought it was a DREAM!! lol!

• taaurrus says:

• taaurrus says:

I guess there really IS an echo in here. Either that or Consumerist likes my comments so much that they have to post them all twice!
        Nah! There’s CLEARLY an echo!

5. Bunnies Attack! says:

I wonder how much AT&T paid him…

• Bodger says:

AT&T? This was Manchester. England, y’know? Had it been New Hampshire or Connecticut or Massachusetts or maybe 25 other cities in the USA where our unimaginative forbears wound up then I might have my suspicions.

• Bunnies Attack! says:

Actually, I was going to say Orange, but since (I assume) the majority of readers are American I figured AT&T was an easier target without doing additional research that would work with the joke. ba-dum-bum!

• nybiker says:

Hey, I’m an American and I know about Orange, since they paid to be the naming rights guys for the BAFTA’s. That’s why they are now called Orange BAFTA. They even have a Rising Star Award: Orange Rising Star Award. Of course, in days gone by, they were just BAFTA and Rising Star Award.

It’s bad enough the Oscar’s are held in a naming rights theater (granted the company declared bankruptcy), but to have those Oscar’s become the AT&T Oscars or some other such name would be real bad. I stopped watching them when they moved from the Shrine Auditorium.

• bnceo says:

Twas a jokie joke

6. belsonc says:

I believe the term you’re looking for is “guanopsychotic.”

7. Sarek says:

He must have been a T-Mobile customer.

8. who? says:

Maybe this is what the woman in Texas whose house burnt down should do.

9. Blueskylaw says:

Shortly after the rampage incident, Bunk of America mistakenly foreclosed on the property after confiscating all the cell phones and the classic muscle car parked in the back.

10. chiieddy says:

Actually, it looks like he calmly and methodically destroyed the store and then when the police arrived he didn’t resist at all.

• StatusfriedCrustomer says:

He actually seemed to be smiling and almost laughing when talking to the police.

• nugatory says:

and he didn’t interfere with the employee at all. This guy knew exactly what he was doing.

• elangomatt says:

I watched the video expecting some guy running around the store at a high rate of speed ripping everything apart. This video is more like some guy moseying around the store at his own pace while ripping apart everything in the store. Of course, the police took so long to get there that he probably still did as much damage as a rampaging person could have done.

• taaurrus says:

Even with him NOT resisting – if this was in the U.S. – he would have been tased repeatedly; all whilst being yelled at repeatedly to “stop resisting”. Then the guy who was video taping it would have gotten tased, his camera/phone smashed and then he would be getting yelled at to “stop resisting”.

• chiieddy says:

Yes, we know. The Brits are much more civilized. No need to comment on that. It’s just his “rampage” was also so very British.

• Jack T Ripper says:

Yeah… cuz that’s what bat shit crazy people do. lol

11. deathbecomesme says:

Guy deserves to have the book thrown at him. There are other avenues to voice your complaints. No excuses. We are all adults

12. Flyersfan says:

Am I the only one thinking if this happened in the US, the police would have used a taser on the perpetrator as well as the person taking the cell phone video?

And, really, who among us HASN’T wanted to do this exact thing in a store at some point?

• CrazyEyed says:

If it happened in the US he woulda been tased, shot and had his face eaten off.

• taaurrus says:

….all while the cops screaming they are doing it in “self defense” so the eating of the face would be considered “justified”.

• BigDragon says:

Depends on the city! In Baltimore he’d be questioned and then released without being charged with anything. He’d just be sent home. Any photos or videos would be confiscated. In Las Vegas he likely would be tased, shoved to the ground while people yelled “stop resisting”, and then locked up. Don’t forget the film crews nearby to record everything!

13. taaurrus says:

Where did all those people come from? It was like standing room only outside at the end!

14. taaurrus says:

15. shepd says:

I love the CCTV in operation sign the employee hides beside. :)

16. BigDragon says:

Carriers take note: stop abusing your customers because they aren’t tolerating it anymore. I bet this guy caused way more in damages, lost sales, and negative PR than it would have cost the company to simply issue the refund. Way to make a huge scene and put a store out of commission for a while. Wow. Guess he wasn’t happy with the [limited] unlimited data plan or robotic “there’s nothing we can do” support either.

• Costner says:

We don’t have enough information to determine if his refund was even remotely possible. For all we know he wanted a refund on a functioning phone he purchased six months ago merely because he found another model he preferred.

Like it or not, companies cannot simply provide refunds or fulfill customer demands 100% of the time, because that leads to bankrupt companies as people abuse the policies.

Either way, there is zero justification for this man’s actions. There are many ways to address injustices, but destroying property and engaging in illegal acts are generally not the best way to handle it.

• PaulR says:

True, but rigidly refusing to accomodate a customer will often end with this kind of situation. There’s almost always a way to defuse a bad situation.

• deathbecomesme says:

Same can be said for what this douche bag did. There is no excuse for what he did. You can try and justify it all you want but in the end he acted like a 5yo throwing a temper tantrum because he didn’t get his way. The guy is an ass hat.

• Costner says:

Often? Really? Because I don’t recall the last time I witnessed someone go on a rampage inside of as store over a refund refusal. Yes it happens occasionally… maybe a few times a year where some customer goes all Micheal Douglas “Falling Down” style, but I would hardly call it often.

I do agree there is often a way to defuse a situation and I wish we knew more detail here, but for all we know the man was just psychotic and looking for a fight. Sometimes people cannot be reasoned with… I learned that during my years in retail.

• incident_man says:

Don’t forget that a lot of customers also only hear what they want to hear. Learned that one, too.

17. mopman64 says:

Then they called the police and being British when they arrived they gave him a good swift talking to.

18. tennesseemom says:

Just doesn’t seem as bad in a British accent.

19. areaman says:

I’m not that impressed.

I remember reading about a guy putting on goggles and then smashing the store with a hammer (in a Verizon store).

20. JusticeGustine says:

so don’t try and lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll

21. CalicoGal says:

I wish he would have torn down that banner in the window so we could have seen better!

22. Smiling says:

I was almost at “that place” with T-Mobile yesterday trying to get my number ported to a pre-paid carrier. I feel his bat shit crazy.

23. blogger X says:

My day has been made.

24. OMG_BECKY says:

TK Maxx?

25. stellapurdy says:

The video is no longer working with that link. You can see it here though: http://youtu.be/fikfhYznqhw