Not Only Are Mike & Ike Splitting Up, But The Grocery Shrink Ray Has Them In Its Sights

(Eric H.)

Consumerist reader Eric has a long abiding love of Mike and Ike’s candy, so he’s a little bit bummed that Mike and his pal Ike are divorcing in a recent ad campaign by the company. But why does this break-up have to also involve the unfortunate smallifying rays of the Grocery Shrink Ray?

The break-up campaign has been chronicled on the candy’s Facebook page, ostensibly to remind everyone how much they love the two fruity chewy guys together. But Eric needs no such reminder — he loves them and just wants them to stay the same size. Instead, somewhere lost in the middle of the split’s turmoil, it seems the boxes have gone from 6 ounces to 5 ounces.

Says Eric:

“Seriously, I love me some M&I’s and it seems with their splitting up campaign they’ve also slid a shrink ray in there hoping no one will notice. We’ve lost a whole ounce while maintaining the same price. That is, of course, in the normal sized boxes.”

Normal, meaning not the gargantuan boxes you buy at the movie theater for eleventy billion dollars a pop. Get it together, Mike and Ike, and while you’re doing so, re-biggify yourselves.

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I love Mike & Ike’s, but I have to be honest: I don’t know which ones are Mike’s and which ones are Ike’s…

2. chefboyardee says:

You can get the movie theater boxes (M&I plus just about every other major candy/chocolate) for $1 at our local Five Below. MMMMMM.

• cara says:

There’s a Five Below right across from my movie theater, and I always stop in there first before going to the movies… so much easier!

They also sell choco-rooms, and are the only place I know of that sells them here.

• bkdlays says:

I love how they ask for your email address even when buying some candy

3. Bagels says:

The people that were protesting those JCPenney’s ads must be happy they’re breaking up

4. Applekid says:

The missing ounce is the lawyer’s cut from the divorce.

5. stevenpdx says:

“Mike and Ike, Original Fruits” has always made me giggle.

6. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

//re-biggify yourselves//

You mean re-embiggen.

7. dks64 says:

It’s a no-win for companies.

“This company is trying to cheat me out of .5 ounces of food! Stupid Shrink Ray!”

or

“This company raised their prices AGAIN! How dare they!”

Well, if their cost goes up, something is going to change and people will bitch about it no matter what.

8. Worsel says:

When they announce they’re getting back together, it’ll be a mess like Oreo. ‘Original Fruits’ breaking-up, then getting back together along with the vibrant rainbow colors will cause all kinds of freaking-out. It’s totally a metaphor for gay marriage. :)

9. bkdlays says:

I always wondered why the special flavors like Italian ice come in even smaller boxes for the same price?!

• Conformist138 says:

I stopped buying them when I tried the Italian ice flavors (which aren’t really very special) and found not only was the box way smaller, but they added wasteful packaging by putting the candy into a plastic pouch and put that into the box. I normally don’t call off buying a product due to silly packaging changes, but it just seemed so needlessly wasteful compared to the way Mike & Ike’s have always been that it was a total turn-off.

10. Krazycalvin says:

Somebody really likes their Mike and Ike’s to notice this change.

• Red Cat Linux says:

Not really. I’m not taking sides in their divorce, and I hardly ever pick this candy, but I was picking some up for a friend and found out they each had scribbled the others name off their respective boxes and said boxes were lighter.

Divorce lawyers. What can you do?