Pet Supplies Plus Finds Your Lost Coupons, Sends Them Home

M.’s wife is a couponer, and carries a carefully organized folder full of coupons when she shops. To a serious couponer, this is as valuable as one’s wallet. She lost it while out shopping one day, but it found its way back to her. A manager at the Pet Supplies Plus store where she had left it behind found it, and instead of tossing it, found a coupon with her address on it and mailed it back.

M. writes:

I wanted to pass along a positive experience, this one with our local Pet Supplies Plus (since positive experiences seem to be so few and far between). My wife lost her coupon accordion folder two weeks back. As with most coupon clippers, the organized according folder of savings is the holy grail of couponing. An assistant manager dedicated an extra few minutes and $3.48 in postage to return my wife’s coupon file to her and we are grateful she did! Thank you!

Here’s what the note says:

Hi [M's wife],

I’m the assistant manager at Pet Supplies Plus in [redacted.] I was cleaning our office up yesterday and came across this coupon file. After a little looking, I found your address on a Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon. Maybe you left it in your cart by accident?

I just wanted to make sure you got it back – I know coupon-clipping can be a lot of work (but it’s worth it!) :-)

Thanks,

[redacted]

PSP [redacted]

Yay, manager! A few minutes of kindness and a few dollars can go surprisingly far.

Comments

1. byroan says:

Way to go PSP! My wife would die if she ever lost her coupon binder.

2. Costner says:

Never heard of this store… but kudos to them (or perhaps specifically to this particular manager who went above and beyond).

3. MickeyMoo says:

That manager needs a special in person thank you from the coupon book’s owner – at the very least an offer to reimburse the postage, preferably accompanied by muffins or something (that wasn’t purchased with a coupon)

4. msbask v2 says:

My daughter is a moderately-extreme couponer. Losing her coupons would mean losing thousands of dollars and it would destroy her.

Pet Supplies Plus probably earned a customer for life here!

5. Blueskylaw says:

Come on Consumerist, I could understand litigation concerns when you post the name of a company that was portrayed in a bad light, but this is a GOOD story. Please update your policy to include the name and location of a company that did the RIGHT thing.

Sincerely,

[Redacted]

• Coffee says:

The company is Pet Supplies Plus. They redacted the manager’s name so he wouldn’t get fired for using company postage.

6. LizziePoo says:

The most surprising thing about this is the fact that the manager’s note is coherent, well-written, and has perfect grammar/punctuation. She even used commas correctly, which is a rare thing now-a-days. The sad thing is, as a retail assistant manager, she probably isn’t even salaried. What kind of world do we live in where an intelligent person with above-par written communication skills doesn’t hold a higher-paying job??

• tbax929 says:

Maybe she’s content being a retail manager. Just because she writes well, a point with which I agree, it’s a bit presumptive to assume she’s unhappy there. Maybe she’s just starting her career and just hasn’t worked her way up the ladder yet. We have no idea.

I have one of those high-paying, high-stress jobs, and the older I get the more I think I’d rather do something that pays less but takes less of a toll on my mental health. I told my partner if her salary gets to six figures (she’s pretty close now), I’m quitting my field and getting a retail job I don’t have to take home with me every night. Preferably, I’ll work at a store where I like to shop so I can get the employee discount!

• VintageLydia says:

I think you might want to reconsider retail management if you don’t want a high-stress job. Maybe a cashier or a night stocker, but avoid management :/

7. mad_oak says:

We gave an extra $10 to the PSP pet charity as a thank you when we received the coupons back… but didn’t say anything at the store because we didn’t want to get anyone in trouble vis a vi the postage. Sad world we live in.

• LizziePoo says:

Good thinking. You never know how a company will react to a manager giving what they consider a “freebie.” Is it possible to try to get to the assistant manager face-to-face and offer a thank you and/or gift? She just seems like such a nice lady.

• RandomHookup says:

Would be a pretty cruel manager to get someone in trouble for returning a lost and found item, but we know some of them are out there.

8. Kuri says:

Well, this makes me feel a ton better about taking my pets in there to get their nails trimmed.

9. RandomHookup says:

That’s why you always put your contact info in your valuable coupon binder. I got mine back that way.

• Cacao says:

Also, take a photo of a sign with your contact info and save it on your digital camera. It will help get the camera back to you.

10. tbax929 says:

I left my tablet computer at a Homegoods store, and the assistant manager called me to tell me she had it. She didn’t mail it to me, but she held it until I returned to retrieve it. She knew it was mine because I keep my business card in the carrying case.