I Paid My Bill In Person, Suddenlink Doesn’t Believe Me

E. knows that he paid his Suddenlink (ISP/cable) bill, but Suddenlink doesn’t. Which is interesting, because he physically went to one of their offices, wrote a check that left a carbon copy, and paid the bill. You would think that this would be a sufficient evidence trail for Suddenlink. It was not.

2 months in a row now Suddenlink (internet cable service) has not posted my monthly payment in my online bill statement and added late penalties. I have paid in person at the local office every month since start of service. My checks make carbon copies and the bank shows the checks cleared each time. Last month it took nearly an hour of phone haggling (over 10 minute wait just to reach an attendant) to get it corrected. This month took about the same using their online chat (again over 10minute wat to connect) and the attendant [redacted] was callous, even when I informed her I was on disability!

This being the 2nd month in a row for such a high tech company to cause me such stress, I am beginning to feel it is trying to defraud me while seeming to be a mistake. I asked for a credit to cover my time lost dealing with their problem and was denied also. I bet they would deny ME service if I just let it go and didn’t pay the extra charges! What Vogons!

The company’s less likely , and more likely to be a problem with the data input at the local office where E. pays his bills in person. Do they offer payment confirmations or receipts? If not, explain the problem to the person taking payment and make sure everything is noted correctly.

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

“What Vogons!”
    The Vogons are a fictional alien race from the planet Vogsphere in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams, who are responsible for the destruction of the Earth, in order to facilitate an intergalactic highway construction project. Vogons are slug-like but vaguely humanoid, are bulkier than humans, and have green skin.

With that little piece of trivia taken care of, are all companies this dense? If I have proof from the bank that they got paid, then they are either trying to scam him or run an incompetent company, neither of which is desirable or acceptable.

• raydee o'bugg says:

And to be extra specific, Vogons are essentially bureaucracy run rampant. Their lives are bound in relentless lightyears of red tape, and they seem to like it that way. No one is entirely sure how they get anything done, considering that they need to fill out three forms just to breathe.

2. cornish says:

Suddenlink provides a receipt after you make account changes or pay your bill in one of your offices. I realize you shouldn’t have to do this, but showing them the receipt should clear this up.

3. crispyduck13 says:

If it were me I’d cancel my account with them over their obvious idiocy, but maybe that is not an option for you – the OP. Next time you pay in person tell them before you give them the check that you will now require a print out or reciept showing the amount paid, date, etc just so you CYA.

I wouldn’t wait for it to happen again before taking action though, Executive Email Carpet Bomb seems appropriate here given the crap quality of customer service displayed while trying to solve the problem. Twice. Tell them you just want them to be aware of and fix the problem and credit your account X dollars for your wasted time due to their mistake. Anyone have email addresses for OP?

4. klobbersaurus685 says:

i checked out and stopped caring when the op just HAD to inform the chat person they were on disability.

5. Kabusted says:

Guilty until proven innocent. Get with your bank, get a copy of the back of the check that shows the deposit and account information. Provide that copy to Suddenlink. EECB your situation to a corporate level, and you’ll likely get that compensation and more.

After it’s cleared up, talk to the retention department and tell them that you’re considering on going to Dish. Get a discount that likely lasts 3 months as the teaser to get you to stay, and go to Dish anyway. This, combined with what you get from your EECB, should be sufficient for your hassle.

Short Story:

I had an issue with Road Runner and Time Warner when they first came to my area some years ago. Month after month of hassles, called off appointments, etc., I got fed up. In the end, I ended up with a $500 credit to my account. That was used on the cable and Internet bill. When it expired, I went to Earthlink, and I’ve flip flopped every 3 to 6 months since. This keeps my Internet at 50% off every month. No, you can’t do this with Cable Programming, but I get the Annoying Cheap Bastard discount every month anyway.

6. PunditGuy says:

Are people supposed to be nicer to you when you tell them you’re on disability?

• dpeters11 says:

If E’s name is actually Bruce Banner, absolutely.

• druidicawen says:

It’s probably in regards to the monetary penalties they are placing on the account and the inability or harm it’s causing to pay over the budgeted amount.

7. Lyn Torden says:

If you pay in their local office, why not take your proof of payment to the local office and demand that they fix it, there.

8. tinyhands says:

Carbon copies, while convenient, prove nothing. You’ll have to show them that the check cleared. Always get a receipt.

My building management company lost 3 of my checks in a row, so I hand deliver them and don’t leave without a receipt. Next time I may take a photograph of the receptionist holding up today’s paper in one hand and my check in the other.

• ARP3 says:

This- get a receipt from them each time. If they give you a hard time, you can point to your account history and say its a way to protect both of you. If they pull it again, follow others’ advise and do an EECB. If that doesn’t work, try to take your business elsewhere. I know its easier said than done, but its not worth your hassle.

9. Not Given says:

My bank lets you get the picture of the canceled check, both sides, online, unless the payee processes it electronically like Citibank or Walmart.

10. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Go to your bank and get copies of the front and back of the 2 cashed checks. You may be able to do this online.
    You should have received a receipt when you paid by check. If not, and the checks were cashed, then it’s incompetence at the cable office or a rogue employee cashing your checks.

11. hymie! says:

I love being able to write letters to companies like this:

“I have received your recent letter indicating a balance due of $xx.xx from A/B/CC (date). Enclosed please find a photocopy of a cancelled check made out to you on A/B/CC in the amount of $xx.xx , which was deposited to your Bank of Whomever account on A/B+2/CC, and paid by my bank on A/B+4/CC. Please let me know if you need any additional information.”

12. eldergias says:

Since the OP apparently decided to pay the late fees, she should take the company to small claims court. The case would be a slam dunk since she has proof from her bank that the checks cleared in time. Unless of course she gets a judge who doesn’t give a S**** then anything could happen.

13. Mike says:

At some point, institutionalized inefficiency is indistinguishable from fraud. File a complaint with their licensing authority and the state AG and send a copy to them.

14. reybo says:

People in the US in the 21st C who pay monthly bills in person are -almost- invariably bad credit risks who waste employee time. Large businesses don’t want that, and will try to drive them away. That’s reality today. And you chose this, since you could mail them a check and end the problem.

• who? says:

If the company doesn’t want anybody paying in person, they’d not have an office to accept payments.

15. icerabbit says:

” The company’s less likely , and more likely to be a problem with the data input at the local office ”

The company [IS] less likely [???], and [ the company IS ] [???] more likely to be a problem with the data …

Either way you want to turn that sentence, you’ve got a couple problems in there.

16. Smiling says:

I was with the Op until a disability was mentioned. What does that have to do with anything? everyone should get good service whether they are disabled or not.

17. az123 says:

This is simple, get the bank to send you copies of the canceled checks showing the the company deposited them. I get why they would not accept the carbon copies but if you get a canceled check from the bank then there should be no issue.

18. CarlS says:

“If the company doesn’t want . . . they’d not have an office.”

Perhaps that is why the offices are mostly closed, or severely understaffed.

19. Suddenlink Help says:

Hi Laura –

My name is Tina and I am with Suddenlink. I’m sorry about the trouble you have been having with your payment posting to your account. I’d be happy to work with management in your area to try and resolve. Please feel free to contact me directly via email at tina-AT-suddenlink-DOT-com for assistance.