Hertz On Demand Doesn’t Work If No Cars Are Available

Benjamin lives in a major city, so he rents cars when he needs one rather than owning one. This system works well for him, and he’s a loyal customer of Hertz. What he’d really like is to become a customer of Hertz On Demand, a Zipcar-like service that lets customers rent cars by the hour rather than by the day. At least it would if the location nearest Benjamin ever had any cars available.

He sent us the letter he’s been working on to send to the Hertz CEO.

First of all I’d love to say that I’ve recently become a Hertz Gold Member and love the service I receive at your [redacted] for my car rentals. The manager [G] has done a great job representing your brand and offered exceptional service. One thing he recommended, is I try out your Hertz On Demand service for my jaunts around town at least 3-6 times a month since I live in the same neighborhood as your one Hertz On Demand location within [redacted] city limits ([the other location] is a 20 minute drive south outside of city limits). My frustration is coming from the fact
I haven’t yet been able to rent a car from this location since I joined on May 15th. That is five plus weeks I haven’t been able to rent during normal business hours on any given day that I’ve tried. I have sent one email and placed 3 phone calls and been told 3 different things:

1.CSR #1 – The cars were vandalized and should be working soon. (week one)

2.CSR #2 – They need 14hours to charge and that’s why none have been available and I “have bad timing” when it comes to trying to book the cars. (during regular daytime hours midweek) This same CSR also told me there wasn’t enough demand for more cars. I beg to differ.

3.Corp/CSR #3 – The cars cannot hold a charge and are under maintenance. (I was also told that I’m “not listening” and that her and CSR #2 have both told me the same thing. The way I read it is
having a bad charging rotation and having cars that need repair are two very different answers.)

Any one of those answers is almost acceptable alone. However the last two times I’ve called I’ve been told that the best that can be done is to “note” my account. I was also told there is no one at the company [who can] resolve this situation nor are there any supervisors or customer service supervisors I could speak with. My call to Customer Support to Hertz Corporate (3rd call) went as follows: I explained my frustration with the service, I was then told that it wasn’t “her department to handle Hertz On Demand.”, I asked to speak with Hertz regular Customer Service Supervisor since no one was above a CSR at Hertz On Demand and was greeted by a transfer to a 3rd caller at…. Hertz on Demand….. after I specifically requested not to go back there since there was no one above the CSR at Hertz On Demand. I have now been assured that there is no one in charge of Customer Service for Hertz.

I’m hoping that this letter can fall on someone either in customer support, maintenance, or Hertz On Demand that can actually affect change. According to everyone I talked to there is not one person
accountable for Hertz On Demand. This service sounds like a win for both of us but I feel it’s unacceptable to have no one to hold accountable for this service not actually being available. And I’m not sure Hertz fully understands the reasoning for on-demand vehicles if no car is ever available. So far I have become a spokesperson for Hertz Car Rental ever since [G] and his crew at [redacted] have converted me from Enterprise… I’d love to do the same for Hertz On Demand. Can you help?

This is a great letter: it explains the problems with the service clearly, and emphasizes Benjamin’s overall loyalty to the brand. Maybe Hertz will listen: it is is a rather advanced business concept that you can’t rent out cars if there are no cars available to rent.

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

We care so much, it Hertz.

2. TheOnlyBob says:

Their On-Demand cars are broken and it Hurtz

3. Vox Republica says:

If my older brother Todd is to be believed, Hertz has recently expanded their product offerings to include donuts. In fact, he just offered me one. Hold on, he’s coming over now—I assume to give me one of these Hertz donuts. They must be pretty good, as he’s giggling already.

4. Rebecca K-S says:

I spot a wild <em>.

• Coles_Law says:

Dear HTML on Demand,

Three times now I have gone to your site looking for an tag, but every time I go I’m told they’re all checked out and out for maintenence. I’m a big fan of HTML, and would like to recommend HTML on Demand to my friends too. Please help!

5. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

We try harder, but it Hertz.

6. Invader Zim says:

This sounds like an effective letter. I hope that it works for you. ……now back to those hertz jokes.

7. HalOfBorg says:

It IS a good letter, except the italics make my eyes hertz.

8. Sarek says:

Maybe he should ask OJ Simpson for some help. He knows how to deal with the competition.

9. Hi_Hello says:

I don’t think it’s Hertz’ fault. It’s the neighborhood. Some messed up the car, after they thought they fixed it, tried to charge it, it couldn’t charge and they are trying to fix it again.

my guess, once the car is out, someone will mess up the car again. I would just cancel and wait to see if they offer more location in the future.

Try zipcar.

• who? says:

The neighborhood isn’t charging the car correctly?

I agree that he should try zipcar if they’re available, I’ve had nothing but good from them, but if the bad neighborhood is screwing up the Hertz cars, the zipcars will be broken too.

• Hi_Hello says:

yea you are probably right.

not sure what his area is, but some places, a few blocks apart can make a big difference.

10. longfeltwant says:

Please allow me to be the first grammar nazi to point out that the writer said “affect change” instead of “effect change”. In most situations, “effect” is a noun, but in one narrow situation it is a verb, and this is exactly that narrow situation. The correct phrase is “to effect change”.

Cite:

But, don’t read that as smuggery! This is not a culpable grammar failure, because the rule is so subtle. It is a mistake which even educated, conscientious people can make. In my opinion, people should also be forgiven for using an apostrophe in possessive “its”, because that is similarly an exception to the general rule of possessive apostrophes.That is unlike switching “their” for “there” or “they’re”, or “you’re” for “your” (notice that nobody ever mistakes “your” for “yore”), which are mistakes deserving of derision.

• AtlantaCPA says:

Beat me to it, this is my absolute #1 peeve and the only one that I point out whenever I see it (I try to keep it inside most of the rest of the time). At last this one comes up and I am off doing actual work before I can be the first to point it out, AAAAARRRRRGGG!

• longfeltwant says:

Ha, ha. Yeah, I get it, and obviously I’m also a grammar nitpicker. The thing is, there are a LOT of grammar rules, and many of them are exceptions to general rules. Not everyone can be an English Comp masters-degree holder, so it’s not reasonable to complain about every minor slip-up.

I focus on the errors of grammar taught in elementary school; everyone should understand second-grade grammar. Also, I heap extra derision on anyone whose grammar slips while at the same time complaining about the education system:

“Kids these days are so dumm! Ain’t there teachers teaching them nothing?”

I’m a moderate on grammar, and also on the evolution of language. Some English evolution is good, some bad. For instance, I do *NOT* accept the slurred definition of “literally”: to use it to mean “figuratively” is to rob the language of a word which is useful and necessary. On the other hand, I embrace the new definition of “beg the question”, because the new definition (“leads to the question”) is more useful than the old definition, plus the meaning of the old definition is more accurately described by the phrase “circular reasoning”.

So, it goes both ways. But if affect/effect is your big peeve, that’s okay, own it!

11. Mike says:

“I have now been assured that there is no one in charge of Customer Service for Hertz.”
    I believe it.

12. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Hertz on Demand only has electric cars? Can’t they give you a regular car if they are out of electrics?

13. who? says:

Sounds to me like they only have 1 or 2 cars, they haven’t bothered to spend the $1000 on a quick charger (14 hours to charge?), and nobody can remember to plug the car in at night.

It sounds like OP needs to go back to a service that uses gas powered cars until Hertz gets its act together.

14. PragmaticGuy says:

I would think it’s time to try Zipcar. Or maybe a taxi.

15. 4Real says:

I love Zip-Car you dont have to pay for gas or have insurance.

16. Fuzzy says:

I’ve had similar problems with this service. They have some deep inherent problems. There is no guarantee that the car will be at the location you reserved it at because it is a car sharing program. Therefore, they will not take responsibility if the car is not there or even if it is not function at the time of your rental. They will direct you to another one of their cars if it is available, but if not they’ll give you two hour driving credit for all of your troubles. So you’re in trouble if you desperately need the car. Hertz on Demand has poor customer service which makes the entire thing not worth it.