Shrink Ray Zaps Aussie Shampoos, Somehow Makes Them Look Bigger

Procter & Gamble’s Aussie brand of hair care products have been redesigned, and with that came a shrink raying of their larger pump shampoo  bottles, from 33.8 fluid ounces to merely 29.2. Only notice how the elegant curves and narrower bottle make the new version look larger, not smaller.

Thanks to Eric for this submission!

Comments

1. Lucky225 says:

I love how the ‘new’ formula also has only 100 uses when the prior one was 125 :X

2. Coffee says:

I think we should be supportive in acknowledging that the old bottle probably worked hard to get rid of those love handles and that unsightly gut, but oh, no…the Consumerist just has to focus on the negative.

3. Shouhdes says:

I actually think the original looks bigger.

4. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

The whole shrink ray issue brings up a larger issue in my mind. I checked out the Consumer Price Index, and it says “The index for all items less food and energy has risen 2.3 percent
    over the last 12 months, the same figure as the previous two months.”

Let’s take our Aussie shampoo example above. If the contents decreased by 4.6 oz, that’s a 13.6% decrease. I’m going out on a limb here and assuming that the unit price did not reduce, but remained the same. It costs $4.97 at Walmart, so the price per ounce went from 14.7 cents per ounce to 17 cents per ounce.

While technically a price increase, I doubt it’s reported this way because the SKU price remains the same. It seems like everywhere we turn, the contents of products are being reduced, while the prices remain the same, or rise. Does this affect, or not affect, the price index?

I’m tired of hearing that the costs for items remains flat, or have only small increases.

• rugman11 says:

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

“If the selected item is no longer available, or if there have been changes in the quality or quantity (for example, eggs sold in packages of ten when they previously were sold by the dozen) of the good or service since the last time prices were collected, the economic assistant selects a new item or records the quality change in the current item.”

• bar_foo says:

No, the CPI is calculated with a little bit more care than that.

5. Applekid says:

I’m amused the product itself calls attention to “volume”

6. 2 Replies says:

Turn them sideways… THEN you’ll see how they’re smaller (thinner)

7. Rahnee says:

Wish I would have taken pics of the baby wipes we buy. There used to be 6 packs in a case. Then they started putting 5 packs in the same sized box. Now there are 4 packs in a smaller box for the same price the 6 pack was.

8. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I liked the Aussie brand, but I don’t care much for pump-type bath bottles. If you don’t have a shower rack, it’s hard to store upside down to get to the last of the stuff. So invert-able bottles FTW!

9. richrecruiter says:
    • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

I think they need to start keeping a database for their stories, as this is happening quite often – do they not review already published stories on their site before writing a new one, or is it that they hope nobody remembers?