Kohler Advertises Lifetime Warranty, Actually Means it

Often our readers feel like “customer service” exists to send customers in circles, and a “lifetime warranty” only lasts as long as the company thinks the lifetime of the warranty should be. But there are exceptions, those companies that we say have gone “Above and Beyond.” Robert tells us that one of those companies is plumbing fixture maker Kohler, home of the $6,000 toilet and a lot of great customer service.

Back in 2005 when I was remodeling my home, I had to go shopping for three bathroom sink faucets.  I would up choosing Kohler, mostly because I liked the style of the fixtures, and because they touted that their sink valves have a “lifetime warranty”.  Now I’m always a little bit suspicious about absolute promises from any big company, but I liked the faucets and so paid the little bit extra to buy Kohler vs. a less expensive brand…

Fast forward to 2012, and one of my hot water valves just stopped working – I couldn’t turn it on at all.  I disassembled the faucet but could not get the valve out of the valve body – it was stuck!  I considered buying a new faucet to get my sink back working again, but then remembered Kohler’s warranty, looked up their number on the internet and gave them a call.

Let me just say that this is where I was ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED – at the EXCELLENT service!  I only had to press two buttons on the automated system before I was transferred very quickly to a pleasant, clear English speaking lady who promptly identified the make and model of faucet I was calling about, and within 5 minutes had ordered me a replacement valve body.  She asked if I had any other problems with Kohler products, and I told her that my kitchen sink sprayer was not flowing like it used to.  She said a new diverter valve would be included in the box, and that the parts should arrive in 5-7 days.  I was never hassled about proof of purchase, ownership, etc.

As good as her word, 4 business days later my replacement faucet valve (with a brand new supply hose) and a diverter valve arrived from Kohler.  All free, no cost, and living up to every bit of their lifetime guarantee.

Is $120 a lot to spend on a bathroom faucet?  I guess it might be, but I have no regrets and could not be happier with my purchases, or Kohler’s OUTSTANDING customer service!

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

I think that if Kohler advertises a lifetime warranty then they shou. . ., ohh wait, Kohler
    actually did the right thing? Well, bully for them I guess and their English speaking ladies.

2. yankinwaoz says:

Lifetime warranties scare me. I always picture the company having a hit-man on retainer to deal with customers who live too long.

3. crispyduck13 says:

and because they touted that their sink valves have a “lifetime warranty…”

Sink valve huh, is that like an exhaust fluid reservoir? Anyway, it’s nice to know Kohler is good like that, I’ll be looking into their stuff when I remodel my bathroom.

• Scooter McGee says:

It’s the thing that controls the amount of water coming through the faucet.

I’m having a similar problem with mine, might have to give them a call instead of buying new parts. Just a very slow drip right now, it can wait a few more days for a shipment.

• phsiii says:

Kohler will even cross-ship: our kitchen faucet went bad, and they let me buy a new one locally and then sent a credit slip that I took back to Ferguson’s, and they reversed the charge. So I didn’t even have to wait for delivery (since the faucet was unusable, that would have been sucky).

4. jp7570-1 says:

I have had a similar good experience with Kohler and their warranty. They honored the warranty without asking for a receipt or even the return of the offending part.

5. BMR777 says:

Kohler is really good with this sort of thing. They replaced our shower temp dial because after 15 years of getting hit with our hard water the finish was chipping off. All for free! That’s pretty amazing!

6. limbodog says:

How dare they raise the bar so high!

7. az123 says:

Moen also does this, I have one of their kitchen faucets and live with very hard water that means about every 5 years something goes out in the faucet. Never had a problem, call up and get a replacement. Normally they just send a whole new unit, which means style may be a bit different than the old one but hey, stand behind what they make.

The thing here is with Kohler / Moen you are not getting this with cheap products, you pay for what you are getting but, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I think the biggest problem most people run into is they want this level of customer service and the price of the cheapest thing out there… cannot have your cake and eat it too

8. mbz32190 says:

I have found that most plumbing companies that offer lifetime warranties are very good at honoring them. Have received replacement parts from Delta and Moen with no questions asked. I even ordered a specialty faucet for a soaking tub (Price Pfister) from Lowe’s, but had a small broken part. Called them up and they mailed me a whole new faucet. But guess what? Same broken part in that one too, and they mailed me another one, which was good, but they never wanted anything back. I kind of wonder how great the markup was to begin with if they are able to do this kind of thing…

9. jojo says:

I’ve had similar experiences with Delta Faucets for my kitchen sink faucet and from Price Pfister for the bathroom faucets. Delta did ask me for proof of purchase, but other than that, it was painless! For my kitchen faucet, they actually sent me the entire faucet as a replacement (because the valve cartridge replacement didn’t solve the issue I had).

Yes, their kitchen faucets are expensive, but the lifetime warranty (and the fact that they actually honor it) makes it feel less painful :)

10. Hurka says:

Your local hardware store will often have a pile of these parts on hand, if they distribute Kohler or Moen products. Simply ask for the replacement kit (it includes a special tool to remove the filter, which comes with the repair kit) and bring the old part once the new one’s installed. It saves waiting for the mail to arrive.

11. Woodside Park Bob says:

We’ve had equally good experiences with Moen faucets. Because of this, when we had ourbathrooms remodeled we specified Moen for all the fixtures.

12. SpiffWilkie says:

Just about a week ago, I had a similar experience with Bemis regarding a toilet seat. My wife purchased a toilet seat just over a year ago that had a built in child seat that flipped down when needed (much easier than keeping an insert child seat nearby!). A couple of months ago the hinge became extremely stiff. I tried to fix it without success and instead emailed Bemis to see if they sold replacement hinge assemblies. Instead, they sent me a whole new seat which I received 8 days after the initial contact. Very good service.

13. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

good to know. i’m going to be in the market for a new kitchen faucet soon. i’m glad they did the right thing

14. Bodger says:

I’ve had similar good results with Price Pfister and Scanpan. No-question replacements. Price Pfister wanted no proof of purchase or any return – they just shipped a replacement. Scanpan wanted me to send the defective pan (two so far) back but didn’t want any proof. Considering that I bought the set back in ’85 or thereabouts this is a good thing.

15. dush says:

When they sell you a $40 faucet for $120 they can afford replacement parts in the future no problem.

16. NorthAlabama says:

how DARE they provide excellent customer service from domestically located phone reps. now we’ll start expecting every company to behave this way.

more and more, companies are advertising u.s.a. based customer service for their u.s. customers, and not all of them are the highest priced options…nice trend.

17. evilpete says:

They did me right sending me a rebuild kit for my 15 year old faucet when it started to drip

18. swimman1 says:

Kohler is awesome. In 2004 my home was built and I put in Kohler products including a rather expensive kitchen faucet. Well, over the course of the almost 9 years now, the button for the spray control has dislodged twice. Both times I called Kohler and they replaced the entire faucet head. Great customer service and I’ll be a customer for life.

19. TD99 says:

I too have had great experiences with getting replacement parts from Kohler. Can’t say the same for Delta or Price Pfister.

20. bbb111 says:

I just had a company go above and beyond.

I dropped my new Filterstream Dirttamer portable vacuum on the second day I was using it and the nose piece cracked. I left a message with their customer service asking about getting a replacement part. I expected to have to buy it since I broke it.
    They called back in a few hours and told me they would send me the part at no charge.