Delivery Guy Thinks This A Wise Place To Hide My Amazon Package

Imagine you are delivering a package to someone’s house and you want to leave it in a place where it won’t get stolen or damaged. We don’t know what ideas you might be coming up with, but we’re hoping this isn’t one of them.

Consumerist reader Toby went online the other morning to track the delivery of his Amazon package. To his surprise, it was listed as “delivered” and signed for by that ubiquitous neighbor “Front Door,” even though Toby had been home all day.

So Toby went out to figure out exactly where the delivery guy had stashed the package — only to step right onto it.

The package had been hidden under his outside doormat, which had also been moved several feet from its usual spot.

Let’s consider this from two perspectives.

To the person walking out the door, the package is virtually unnoticeable, especially if you’re not expecting a doormat underfoot. This could, and did, lead to the package being stepped on.

Luckily, Toby’s purchase was a couple of new camcorder batteries which survived being trampled.

But to the person walking toward the house, it’s more obvious that something is hidden underneath the mat. It’s not hard to imagine someone taking a peek and, upon seeing an Amazon box, deciding to steal it.

At least when FedEx hides your package in a really stupid place, it has the courtesy to leave you a note.

Comments

1. Peggee has pearls and will clutch them when cashiers ask "YOU GOT A WIC CHECK MA'AM?" says:

If the doormat had to be moved “several feet” in order to be in front of the door…where was it to begin with?

Years ago our delivery guy used to hide packages under the lid of the grill. I thought that was kind of awesome.

• jeffpiatt says:

My UPS driver helper training asked us to never do that because even if we left an note it could get lost and by the summer the customer finds the package when they turn on the grill and set it on fire.

2. TheMansfieldMauler says:

My UPS guy does this all the time. I notice without destroying anything because, just like in this case, the doormat…had also been moved several feet from its usual spot.

• CTrees says:

My UPS guy does this, too, admittedly without moving the doormat several feet (which you’d really think would be a tip-off, no?). Though, it’s kinda funny, since generally my package is quite large. A box with a footprint larger than the doormat and 18″ tall… doesn’t really qualify as “hidden” when placed under said doormat (though it always does amuse me…)

3. rookie says:

It works better if you set it on fire…

4. CubeRat says:

Another reason I love my packages delivered by the post office. They leave things by the door, which is fine with me. Or they tell me I have to go to their office (which hasn’t happened in years), which is so much more convenient than any other delivery company.

• OutPastPluto says:

The last package I had delivered by the USPS was placed out by the curb next to the mailbox during a patch of thunderstorms.

I find the whole “package under the mat” thing annoying, but it’s better than having a poster tube left by the curb to get rained on.

At least UPS, Fedex, and those nondescript carriers that Amazon use all bother to get out of their truck and walk up to my porch.

5. scoutermac says:

USPS does this at my front door all the time. UPS and Fedex typically just leave it on the mat.

• chemmy says:

My UPS guy usually hides stuff under a chair on my front porch. FedEx leaves them on the mat in plain view and USPS tosses them into my driveway. Now I just have it delivered to my office :)

6. Here to ruin your groove says:

My UPS guy does this too. Sometimes it is quite comical as the box is quite large with simply the floor mat laid on top of it.

7. thenutman69321 says:

I see no problem with this. At least he’s making an effort to slightly hide it which they have no responsibility to do. You gotta be pretty damn oblivious to not see it while walking out of your door especially when you are going out there for the specific purpose of finding your package.

• KarlStyles says:

I don’t see a problem either. A third perspective, which Morran doesn’t mention, is that to someone walking by on the sidewalk parallel to the front door, they don’t easily see an Amazon box sitting on the front porch. If they happened to notice the weird mat, they’d have to walk up to the house to find out if the mat was bunched up or there was actually something under it. I’d rather have a weird looking mat than a brown box/package sitting out in the open on my porch.

To each his own, I suppose.

8. dolemite says:

Be thankful you got it at all. The last UPS delivery I had never showed up. I looked around the house, bushes, back porch, nothing. My neighbor said no UPS truck stopped by that day, and she was watching at the supposed “front door delivery: 10:30 am” time. I called up UPS. They said take it up with Amazon. Take it up with Amazon? YOU guys were the last ones with the package. Why is it Amazon’s problem? Well, about 5 days later, my neighbor way down the street stopped by with my packages. They are at 401, we are 301. Apparently they were out of town so my packages sat on their porch in the weather for 5 days. Yeah…too bad UPS didn’t want to investigate and maybe double check the driver.

9. tbax929 says:

When I had my condo, the UPS guy would leave my packages in the bushes outside my balcony. In my current house, my front door is actually on the side of the house, so he just leaves my packages at the front door. The neighborhood is safe, and the only other person that would see my front door would be my next-door neighbor, who’d never bother with my packages.

If there’s something I’m really worried about, I’ll have it sent to my work address instead of my home.

10. wade says:

No one will ever think to look there!

11. luusyphre says:

I once left a cooler out by my front door (out of sheer laziness) and the delivery guy left my package in the cooler. I liked that.

• The Porkchop Express says:

My folks have an old “milkbox” by the front door. Came with the house, it looks like it may even be insulated. Small enough packages are always put in there, but they sometimes forget to look for a while.

12. crispyduck13 says:

The real story here is yet another delivery where the receiver’s signature means precisely dick. I kind of wish my delivery guy tried hiding my packages, instead they just sit on my front porch trying not to look stealable.

• CTrees says:

Even for business deliveries, the receiver’s signature means little, mostly because an entire truckload can be signed for at one shot, and if a few boxes are left in the truck? The signature doesn’t catch that.

13. scurvycapn says:

Remember back when UPS would actually ring your doorbell, wait for you to answer, and hand you your package?

For years now all they do is ring the doorbell and run back to the truck and zip off. Lately, they don’t even ring the doorbell. I just open the door at random points after mid afternoon when expecting a package to see if it has arrived.

• Saskiatas says:

I work from home, and my office is located where I can see the driveway. Neither UPS or FedEx ring the doorbell anymore. I usually get up to get the package, open the door, and startle them just as they’re turning away.

Yesterday I thought I’d be nice and walk out to the truck so they could get on with their deliveries quicker. The UPS gal had the music up VERY loud and was in the back of the truck. She walked out of the back, looking down at the package, and almost stepped out of the truck onto me before she noticed I was there. She almost fell over backwards, then apologized profusely for the music (which I didn’t mind). We both had a good laugh.

• Odin Zifer says:

Put a note on your door if you want them to ring.

EX. “Package ending in . . . . is time sensitive please knock loud”

Guy did so and thanked me saying they never know what to do and don’t want to wake people.

• Delphinia says:

I had a UPS package delivered the other day. The guy knocked and by the time I got to the door he was all the way down the stairs, with the notice on my door already. I was able to call him back up, and he claimed that they only have one minute to deliver the package and it’s timed from when they get out of the truck. In my apartment complex, they have to park in the parking lot at the end and walk several hundred feet to the building, so a minute is barely enough time to walk to the apartment and get a package signed for even if the person comes right to the door. I can’t vouch for how true that is since I’ve never worked for UPS, but it would explain a lot.

14. AllanG54 says:

Delivery people leave packages at my front door all the time. There’s really no place else to put them. Luckily the neighborhood busybody lives right across the street from me and she’s always looking out her window or front door so she’s my de facto watch dog.

15. Invader Zim says:

Cats agree that hiding under the rug is a great place.

16. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

My UPS guy does the same, I have no problem with it. What I do hate is when the Prestige Delivery guy leaves my package:
    several feet into my lanscape garden resting on top of a concrete statue
    in front of my garage door so I back out onto it when I leave to go somewhere
    in the mailbox
    in the paperbox (next to the mailbox out at the street)
    at my side door that is never used or checked

17. GenXCub says:

Want your package in a convenient place? Be at home. Or leave a note. Then if they don’t follow your note, you have a legit beef. It’s undamaged, on time, and at your house. They’re meeting nearly all of the criteria. Give them the help they need.

• Snapdragon says:

“To his surprise, it was listed as “delivered” and signed for by that ubiquitous neighbor “Front Door,” even though Toby had been home all day.”

Er, OP was home all day.

18. Michael Bauser says:

My UPS guy does this all the time, which is even funnier, because I live on the top floor of a three-story, five-apartment building (with a locked main entrance that UPS has a key for). I guess my UPS guy doesn’t trust the people in Apartment 4.

(USPS, on the other hand, has the main entrance key, but refuses to do door-to-door deliveries. When somebody sends me a large package by mail, I just get a stupid note in my mailbox telling me to drive to the Post Office to pick it up.)

At my previous apartment building (also in a five-apartment building), UPS didn’t have a key. If nobody was around to buzz him in, the delivery driver would sit my packages on the window sill by the front door, with the shipping label facing inwards towards the vestibule!

19. corridor7f says:

I’d totally think that was a mutant rat of some kind and stomp it.

20. sparc says:

you got your batteries safely without being stolen. I’d say that’s a win for Toby, Amazon, and whomever delivered it.

21. Kestris says:

I sent a package to a customer via Fed Ex who delivered it to the side door. If I hadn’t contacted my customer to see if it’d been received, we’d have thought it was lost in transit, which is devastating as the items could not have been replaced (one of a kind pendant on a handmade kumihimo set). It took nearly 4 days AFTER the package had been delivered to find it.

Apparently the delivery driver bypassed the front door, for the side door and never even bothered to knock or leave a note. Which is bizarre, as my customer says she and her husband had been home all day.

22. eezy-peezy says:

I mailed a large package, worth about $200 to a customer via UPS. Tracking update said “Left at front door.” I looked up the address on Google Earth, her house was on a numbered US route and her front door was literally feet from the street.
    Fortunately she got it before it “disappeared.”

I think next time I will check Google Earth before deciding how much insurance to put on it.

23. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Where? I don’t see it. Unless I knew it was there, I wouldn’t know what I was looking for.

24. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

If I didn’t know better, I’d say my parent’s cat delivered it. She is extremely fond of taking small items, like pens, combs, etc. and hiding them under rugs.

25. pot_roast says:

This is why I just pay the $100/year for a mailbox at a privately owned office services place. I’ve had a few packages get lost from the front porch during storms. Texas gets some really wicked winds, and 1lb Amazon boxes stand no chance. It’s well worth the cost. Besides, I own some internet domains, and I just have them registered there as well. Totals about the same as paying for the useless domainsbyproxy service anyway.