Bank Of America’s House Winterizing Crew Results In A Missing Muscle Car

All Aaron wants is his 1973 Dodge Challenger back, and all Bank of America wants to do is act like it has no idea whatsoever what happened to his car. Aaron had been storing his pride and joy in his late mother’s garage, when a winterizing crew hired by BofA showed up. The next thing he knew, the garage was padlocked from the outside and his car was gone.

Aaron tells Worcestester, Mass. newspaper The Telegram & Gazette that his car, noticeable for its “plum crazy” purple paint job and V-8 engine with a chrome air scoop that pops up through the hood was taken in late March. He says the bank has information that would help him get his car back, but they won’t tell him what it is.

His mother’s house had an ongoing foreclosure proceeding at the time of her death, a proceeding which isn’t complete yet. Aaron stored his car in his mother’s garage over the winter, as he was the executor of her estate.

One day in March he arrived at the house to pick up his car, and saw the garage was padlocked from the outside.

“I thought that was weird, so I went around to the back to look through the window and saw the car was gone. My heart just dropped,” he recalled.

A neighbor told him that a work crew had showed up to the house days before to winterize it and secure it, something banks do to protect vacant houses during foreclosure proceedings. The sign posted about the winterizing was dated three days before he came to get the car.

The neighbor says that two days later, the same work crew pulled up and towed the car out of the garage.

He reported the car stolen and the neighbor spoke to cops. Then he tried to get Bank of America to tell him the name of the contractor it had hired to secure and winterize the house, to no avail.

Bank of America spokeswoman Kelly E. Sapp said, “We continue to research the issue and are in full cooperation with law enforcement and legal authorities on this ongoing investigation. Should evidence be produced that shows wrongdoing by the vendor, we will act swiftly and take appropriate action.”

Aaron doesn’t believe the bank, however, as a detective on the case said Bank of America didn’t respond to a mailed subpoena looking for the name of the vendor, so the detective served it again in person two weeks ago, at a local branch.

“I can’t tell you how many times I’ve called the bank. They’re stonewalling me,” Aaron said. “Every time I called Bank of America, it was the same. They’re the worst of the worst.”

Worcester man battles bank after vintage muscle car hauled off [Telegram & Gazette]

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

If we can’t take your house, we’ll take your muscle car.

F U America!!!

2. dolemite says:

Yet again…corporations are “people” but can steal your property with impudence. If he stole the bank manager’s car, he’d be sitting in jail.

• Costner says:

I’d agree, however at this point we don’t know who “stole” the car. The crew who winterized might have showed up three days later on their own thinking the car was an easy mark. Or they may have been following procedure and the car is sitting in an impound lot somewhere or in storage as required by state and local laws.

The real issue here is a lack of responsiveness by BOA. They are so massively inept that the left hand wipes the ass while it is mid-shit and then the right hand claims they only used the urinal. They have no idea what is going on there and they are never able to provide the same story.

Too big to fail? No… try too big to succeed.

• RandomLetters says:

Great analogy!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to use that one. lol

• kc2idf says:

Oh, that is fucking hilarious! +1 to you, sir.

• Difdi says:

There’s a technical legal term for someone who knows a crime has been committed, but helps cover for the criminal: Accomplice after the fact.

Generally not quite as bad an offense as the original crime, but still tends to be a felony. Especially if, as is all but inevitable in a corporation, there is a conspiracy to cover for the criminal.

• hahatanka says:

The term is “Misprision Of A Felony”. Friend of mine actually did federal time for it over a drug deal.

18 USC § 4
          Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

• iesika says:

Not responding to the subpoena would be enough to potentially put a person in jail.

• evilpete says:

I’m betting the local bank manager is connected do the winterizing contractors and it and it is covering for them

3. deathbecomesme says:

Looks like we won’t need the WCiA contest this year. BOA just sealed it!

What a bunch of a$$hats. First, the working crew for thinking that since the house was in forclosure that meant the property there was for the taking. Secondly we have BOA stonewalling a criminal investigation. They should be brought up on charges of hindering prosecution or aiding and abetting. IANAL but sounds to me like they (BOA) should be charged with something

• wade says:

Looks like we won’t need the WCiA contest this year. BOA just sealed it!

I dunno, there is still plenty of time for EA to put out another video game with a lousy ending. . .

4. Costner says:

Oh, check this out. “’71 ‘Cuda, plum crazy purple.”

5. Coffee says:

The winterizing employees could not be reached for comment, but please call the police if you spot the. Here is their last known photograph: http://tiny.cc/okd9fw

6. dicobalt says:

Banks don’t take care of their houses down here. They have weeds growing taller than the roof and vines that look like they are on Mayan ruins. Snakes and rats ensue. Then people steal the house AC units that aren’t in a cage and squatters move in. Leaving a car without tracking in an unoccupied house is just a really bad bad idea.

7. Vox Republica says:

I wish I was fluent in slimy bank bullshit years ago when I needed excuses for slacking off in school. “I appreciate your patience, and apologize for any inconvenience regarding any outstanding homework assignments. I will continue to research the issue and am in full cooperation with educators and administrators on this ongoing investigation. Should evidence be produced that shows wrongdoing by the dog, I will act swiftly and take appropriate action.”

• Coffee says:

After a lengthy investigation, I have concluded that there was break in the chain of custody between when I handed the homework in to the basket and when you collected the papers at the end of the day. Anything could have happened during that time, so I apologize, but I cannot accommodate your request. If you would like me to resubmit my homework, please wait 5-7 business days and remit to me a $20 Homework Redundancy fee.

• scoosdad says:

Translation: My dog ate my homework.

8. oldwiz65 says:

Report it stolen to the police and do it fast before one of the BofA crew sells it. It is a stolen vehicle now and the police should be involved. Why call BofA? Would you call a car thief and ask where your car is? Of course not. BofA stole the car, plain and simple.

BofA gets away with all of this crap cause they own enough Congressmen to keep them safe from the prying eyes of the law. And while corporations are “people” they are also immune from criminal prosecution.

• baltimoron says:

I’m gonna go ahead and guess that you didn’t read the article.

• dwtomek says:

Why? BoA is participating in the execution of a crime here. They are actively harboring the guilty by refusing to cooperate while hiding behind a corporate veil. I’m not surprised by their actions here, although ignoring subpoenas is a new level of brazenness for BoA.

• Jawaka says:

Why? Because the OP already did call the police and report the car stolen. Its in the article.

• Sean says:

Or even the Consumerist summary.

• frank64 says:

The article says that the police are investigating.

9. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Get address info on some BoA higher-ups in your area, steal their cars, sell them, use money to buy a new muscle car.

Problem solved.

10. crispyduck13 says:

How can BOA just not respond to a subpoena from police? Since when are companies above the fucking law?

Corporations are people my ass.

• CalicoGal says:

Someone puts it on their desk, and it gets covered with other papers, lunch, coffee, doodles, and important stuff.
      This whole story is just sickening.

I can’t believe that the dude only made one scene in the branch. I would be going ape-shit by now…

• RvLeshrac says:

Haha. “Since when are companies above the law.”

Oh, you were serious.

11. Marlin says:

Bet the car is long gone/choped up/or wrecked from joy rides.

If someone stole my 73 Corvette like this I would only take a check for its full value. No telling what “movers” have done with it.

Also if the bank has not fully forclosed on are they admitting they hired someone to break in and steal the goods inside, including the car?
    I’m thinking the bank is hoping you will go away as a lawyer has told the bank they f–ked up.

• A.Mercer says:

I worked at a car dealership once and someone who worked there had a car stolen and he guessed it had been chopped up. The guys in the shop told him that an older car like that would probably be sold in one piece. The crooks would just work to change the identity of it which was easier on older cars. They said that the value of the individual parts is high but the turn around is slow. The crooks would have an easier time selling the car itself.

12. JGKojak says:

So… if I ignore a subpoena, I go to jail.

If corporations are people, I guess someone better arrest Bank of America? Or maybe whoever is in charge of that division? Bet that gets some answers.

• Difdi says:

One of the reasons CEOs have always been paid so much is that they are the embodiment of their corporation’s personhood.

In other words, if the corporation commits crimes, the CEO is the one hauled to jail. Because the buck really does stop at him.

I bet BoA would find the car in a matter of hours (possibly even minutes) if the CEO was facing an arrest warrant for grand theft.

13. chiieddy says:

Why would they be winterizing in March?

• CrazyEyed says:

It’s in Massachusetts and can see snow in April. In addition, winterizing can sometimes be used interchangably with “securing,” which is a standard procedure by banks when proceeding with foreclosure action if someone has abandoned the home (or has died). Its a way to prevent the home from being broken into, vandalized or otherwise damaged in order for the bank to protect its interest in the property.

• chiieddy says:

Not this April. I live in MA. When they came in late March (as the responder above indicated) we were having delightful temperatures in the mid-70s. Hardly winter weather.

• selianth says:

I live very near Worcester, and I was wondering why they bothered “winterizing” at all – we had such a mild winter with almost no snow. Then I remembered that we had two very large snowstorms – one in October and one in March. I thought, “Maybe they came right before the snow was predicted.” Then I read the source article and it mentioned the exact date of March 19 – we were in the middle of some beautiful 75-degree weather and it was pretty clear winter was over. If they were just “securing” the house that’s one thing but there was no need to “winterize” it, that’s for sure.

14. bhr says:

This is not a blame the OP post, to be clear.

There are a couple things the OP needs to do here. First, hire a lawyer. While the police might get information out of BoA about the vendor, if they determine that no crime has taken place (A car taken off a private lot and towed) it won’t help the OP any.

He needs to get a statement from the neighbor, the police report an file a civil complaint against BOA and the John Doe contractor.

Second, starting calling local tow lots. It’s possible that the contractor stole the car, but just as likely they have a deal with a local tow company to take cars illegally on properties (They might even get kickbacks). I am willing to bet that the car is sitting on a lot somewhere racking up storage fees.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing that BoA isn’t responding to subpoena’s (or that the police would even investigate what I consider a civil matter), but if the detective really did serve them directly I expect the OP to get resolution, as BOA probably wants to avoid opening their records to police.

(The reason I say IF the detective is because the original story makes it clear that is the OPs version of the story, consumerist manages to drop that detail)

• Auron says:

I always thought grand theft auto was a felony if not a gross misdemeanor. Didn’t realize that it got changed from a criminal charge to a civil matter.

• Jawaka says:

Because they aren’t treating it like a stolen car. They’re treating it as a towing.

• Difdi says:

So if I went to your house some night, and “towed” your car to my driveway, it would only be a civil matter?

15. longfeltwant says:

What is the law in this case? Are cars in foreclosed garages considered abandoned? If the bank owns the house, and your car is in the garage of the house, then your car is in a garage owned by the bank. It’s not completely unreasonable for them to assert domain over the garage and clear it out.

Now, that is a separate issue from stonewalling this unlucky car enthusiast. That is capital-W Wrong. Furthermore, if a judge signs a subpoena, that judge is supposed to get angry if the subpoena is ignored. I’d like to hear the judge’s opinion. Don’t many subpoenas come with timelines? Perhaps the bank is within the timeline — although then it would seem unlikely that the cops would re-serve the subpoena in person. There are a lot of unanswered questions here; I hope we get an update when more information is available.

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

“What is the law in this case? Are cars in foreclosed garages considered abandoned?”

This is a very good point. Furthermore, do they only take property of value, or is my decades-old Connect Four game at risk as well? What about my collection of used bandages?

• Boiled for your sins says:

Basically, anything worth selling is put in one pile to take to the flea market and the rest pretty much goes into a dumpster. The locks are changed and a notice is normally put in the window letting anyone coming to the house know that its been ‘winterized’ and secured.

• Difdi says:

The problem here, being that the bank sent in a winterizing crew on a property they don’t own yet, and the crew seized property that didn’t belong to either the (deceased) homeowner OR the bank.

• Tedicles says:

“…Furthermore, do they only take property of value, or is my decades-old Connect Four game at risk as well? What about my collection of used bandages?”

No value whatsoever….I mean, c’mon, you’ve already got plenty right? So according to previous logic you really don’t need any of that stuff nor should we care if someone steals it from you….right? Ok….sorry, I am mistaken here….you are not royalty so then different rules apply when we evaluate your situation.

:-b

• RandomLetters says:

The house is in foreclosure proceedings but has not yet been foreclosed on. As he is executor of her estate he has the legal right to store property there. Even after the house is taken by the bank I believe he has some time (length of time depends on the state you are in) to remove property from the house. Then the bank would move in and have it cleaned out.

• Craige says:

I’m not sure what the law is here, but I would contest that the difference between most personal property residing in a house during foreclosure and an car is that the car is REGISTERED a person in via a government database. Finding the owner is as simple as running a search on the VIN number.

If the owner is not the person being foreclosed upon, then the car should not be able to be sold. It’s 100% clear that it’s not their property; no ‘if’s, ‘and’s or ‘but’s about it.

• Craige says:

** […] the car is REGISTERED to a person in a government database.

I really need to start proof-reading my posts.

• Jawaka says:

Are we sure that the car was actually registered? If it was just kept in storage while it was being worked on it might not have been.

• Craige says:

Given how the original article reads, I think it’s safe to assume it’s registered:

“Mr. Dahrooge said he stored the Challenger in the garage of his mother’s house over the winter as he typically did because he was the executor of her estate. ” – This means it is normally out of storage in the summer, and more than likely a weekend driver.

“Mr. Dahrooge went to the house at 78 Uncatena Ave. with his teenage son to retrieve the purple Challenger, which he had found years before rusting in a field and fully restored into an attention-grabbing hot rod. ” – If it has been fully restored, odds are this car has been on the road on a number of occasions. Further more, he went there with his son to get the car, which is likely so one person can drive the challenger home, and the other can return in the other vehicle. This is speculation however, as he could have been planning on towing it home on a trailer; once again, the article doesn’t say.

Again, the article doesn’t say outright that it was registered to him (and really, why would it), but it’s safe to assume that it is given the different things they mentioned about the situation.

• iesika says:

I’m guessing they refused or failed to sign and send back a notice of acknowledgment and receipt, and thus the court does not consider service to have been effected. That would fit with the lawyer later serving in person at a branch.

I don’t know what the service statutes look like where this is taking place, so I can’t be more certain or specific.

16. Extended-Warranty says:

How do you know it was BoAs fault? Did you keep tabs on the vehicle every hour of every day, until it disappeared? Or did you put 2 and 2 together to determine corporations are evil and must be behind it? The last thing you should ever do is leave property you care about at a foreclosed home. People ransack them all of the time.

I’m really suprised this didn’t have a headline like “BoA forcibly takes home from elderly, dying mother”.

17. Rhinoguy says:

“I’ll believe that a corporation is a person when the State of Texas executes one.”

18. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

“Cop won’t find your car. Cop couldn’t find his butt if it had a bell on it. You want to find an outlaw, hire an outlaw. You want to find a Dunkin’ Donuts, call a cop.”

19. TheUncleBob says:

Alternative possibility – the neighbor stole it. He’d been wanting to sell it off for some time, then the winterizing crew shows up. Now the neighbor has a great way to deflect the blame.

I completely agree that BoA shouldn’t disclose the name of their contractor to this guy yet. However, they 100% should disclose it to the authorities upon request. That’s just douchy not to do.

As far as blaming all of BoA for the car initially getting stolen? Come on, folks… BoA deserves the blame for not vetting the private contractors they hired, but remember, these are private contractors. If you hire someone to do some yardwork and, in the process, they steal your neighbor’s awesome grill, would you take the blame?

• dwtomek says:

I would probably at least give the neighbor some contact info for the contractor.

• Azagthoth says:

and reply to a subpoena.

• TheUncleBob says:

Which, of course, is why I said it was douchey for BoA to not cooperate with the authorities.

As for giving out the info to the individual… I’m torn. Some people aren’t right in the head. If these folks stole this guy’s prize possession, there’s no telling what he might do to them if he goes after them. Then, where does that leave BoA – even more so if it turns out something crazy like the neighbor did actually do it.

No, cooperate fully with Law Enforcement… but I wouldn’t just willy-nilly hand out that info at this time.

20. Schildkrote says:

Well, this is bad, but they’re not the Worst Company in America. I mean, I remember that one time that representatives from…whatever video game company won came to my house and punched my dog in the face. Then they stuffed him in a bag and threw him into a nearby sausage grinding machine, then ate the resulting sausages.

Er, wait, no, they just charged a lot for high-end luxury consumer goods that I’m under no obligation to buy or use.

Those guys are the worst! I’m glad Consumerist decided they’re more terrible than a company that literally steals property from customers with no legal repercussions!

21. homehome says:

Okay this a bad situation, but let’s stop the sensationalism. “They’re the worst of the worst.” There are companies that have gotten away with killing people, so let’s calm down. But back to the topic, if subpeona doesn’t work, obviously sue since he’s already filed a report.

• homehome says:

secondary, why is he keeping his car in a garage of a home that is in foreclosure?

• icerabbit says:

Let’s not be unreasonable, shall we.

For all we know the son lives several states away. It is very simple, you have an extra vehicle, that doesn’t fit in your single or 2-car garage, but your mom let’s you park it safe inside her garage since she may only have one car or no car. Then for whatever reason his mom falls behind on the mortgage. Her belongings and those of her family don’t have to moved out just because a couple payments were not made. Maybe the mortgage can be modified? Etc. Then his mother passes away … BOA gets notified … it is winter time so BOA sends out a crew to drain the plumbing and make sure the doors are locked … but that crew steals the car.

22. kobresia says:

Storing a prized possession in a vacant house which has been under foreclosure proceedings for months…what could possibly go wrong?

23. Clyde Barrow says:

I doubt BOA has anything to do with this. The ” crew hired by BofA” are merely contracted to do work for BOA, nothing else. If the company is license and bonded, they’ll be on the hook for this car and also it will look very bad for them. Their insurance will be asking a lot of questions and they could even lose there business if they cannot claim to be bonded after this. My guess is that a bunch of guys saw this car, liked it, used their own gear togo back to steal the car. They’ll make more money off of this car than they will in a month working as contractor’s for BOA. What is gonna suck is that they owner of the business will get screwed because of these guys. Just my guess but I’ve seen this happen.

It was an easy deal; the house was in foreclosure, no one lived there, and a beautiful car sat in the garage. Gee,,,that was easy. And they proved how easy it was. I can see why the OP left it in the garage as it should have been ok but these contract crews are not made up of straight-laced church going boys.

• Auron says:

And i’m guessing that in your world it is perfectly fine for BofA to not respond to the subpoena or aid in the investigation in any way?

24. NoWin says:

RE: Aaron tells Worcestester, Mass. newspaper …. btw, it’s “Worcester”

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Yeah, and it’s pronounced “Wooster”! Jackasses.

• scoosdad says:

Nope, try again, if you’re rhyming Wooster with ‘rooster’. It’s closer to “Wuss-ster” (as in, ‘he’s such a wuss’).

(looking out my window upon the fair city of Worcester as we speak)

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Yeah, I thought of that after hitting the ‘Submit’ button. ‘Wuss-ter’ is correct.

Good call, little doggie.

25. RandomLetters says:

Why would BoA send a crew to winterize a home that they hadn’t fully foreclosed on yet? According to city and state records the house still belongs to the deceased womans estate. So the banks sends a crew to break into this womans house to winterize it (because right before summer starts is a great time to do it). The order to winterize from the bank might have been something along the lines of, “winterize this deceased womans house we’re foreclosing on”. The crew thinks that since this lady is no longer with us, no one will mind if we steal her car.

• homehome says:

Why? because payments aren’t being made and banks do take over and try to make sure the problem is in good standing because they still have stake in the property. So they do do this in foreclosure proceedings, even if someone is living there.

• RandomLetters says:

I hadn’t considered it from that angle. Thank you both for pointing it out to me.

• CrazyEyed says:

Banks are allowed to do this to protect their interest in the property because so long as the deceased person hold a mortgage, they do not technically own the property – The lender/investor does. Read your mortgage document. There’s usually verbiage in the mortgage that advises when a home is abandoned they can send an inspector out to confirm abandoned and charge a fee. They can also secure the property if found to be abandoned, regardless of how far the home is in foreclosure. Banks that have in their shit in order would actually secure the property sooner so long as they can confirm the property is abandoned. Once abandoned, the property is subject to break-ins and vandalism which is VERY common for vacant homes so the bank secures the property as quickly as possible to protect the value and their interest.

26. Rob says:

What kind of a dim wit would store a car in a garage of a house that is in foreclosure?

• Auron says:

Because it’s very possible that the OP didn’t have anywhere else to store/park the vehicle currently and mom was nice enough to let her son store it there.

27. fsnuffer says:

Just a question. If the bank sent the winterizing crew over that would imply they took possession of the house. If there was a car in the garage of the house the bank now owned, would it not be within their rights to remove it or do they take ownership of all the household property when they take possession?

• CrazyEyed says:

The Bank technically owns the property anyway until a loan is paid off. As far as removing property, thats a slipperly slope. Sometimes they move contents to properly winterize or secure the property but I’m not sure about physically taking something from the home. Not sure if the bank can legally do so until the home is foreclosed upon. However, during foreclosure proceedings, usually the homeowner or the executor of the estate is given a timeframe to evict the home and remove their belongings. I wouldn’t be able to form an opinion unless I knew how far along the original occupant was in foreclosure. If the home had been sitting vacant for many months and the OP was dragging his feet, then it could have been very well within their (banks) right to at least remove the car.

• kobresia says:

If the home is abandoned (as in nobody is living there), they probably have a provision to take possession of the home and contents if it’s under foreclosure, in order to secure the premises.

And honestly, it seems to be a good, proactive approach to remove potentially valuable assets from the property & impound or store them somewhere; the bank folks aren’t the only ones who have likely noticed that a property has been vacated. If thieves, scrappers, and crackheads happen to notice there are nice things in an abandoned home, it’s substantially more likely doors will be ripped off their hinges or windows will be broken as the property is looted. An empty, vacant house isn’t as attractive of a target.

28. rlmiller007 says:

Check the parking lot at the banks HQ. An exec is probably driving it around.

29. iesika says:

I wish this man the best of luck, and I wish his lawyer great fortitude and a massive attorney’s fees order.

I’ve had to deal with BoA in a legal context three times now. Twice they did not respond to subpoenas. They sent an attorney to a hearing to try to block a Van Hook injunction. The court ordered a temporary injunction on foreclosure while it could be decided who owned the debt on the house. BoA sent potential buyers to the property three days later, and then listed the sale. Their attorney refused to respond to phone, email, fax or mail for two months. I thought were were going to have to appear at the sale with court orders and police to save this client’s home. It took five thousand dollars in legal fees (and we charge at a rate that barely lets us break even) to make BoA obey court orders. I probably spent three or four solid days worth of time on hold, or talking to people who told me “I don’t think we have a legal department. I’m sending you back to customer service. No, you can’t talk to a manager.”

They don’t respond to subpoenas for production of documents. They don’t respond to subpoenas for appearance. They didn’t respond to the subpoena in this story.

If Bank of America were a person, it would be in jail right now for multiple counts of contempt.

30. evilpete says:

31. SoCalGNX says:

B of A will continue to stonewall. They will not allow him to contact the same people about issues but instead will keep assigning him to different people. Those people will never be available.

32. makoto says:

I’m confused… isn’t it June? Why are they “winterizing” anything?

• kittyfarts says:

My boyfriend does inspections for banks. I would say about 1/3 of the homes he is sent to inspect someone is living in. It isn’t his job to find out if it’s a squatter or the current home owner.. His job is to take a picture to update the bank on the condition. If it is vacant then he goes inside and inspects for damage. Again taking pictures. More often than not the people who left, just got the hell out, and forgot stuff along the way. While you should not be taking anything as it is now the banks property, I know plenty of inspectors that do. But I can honestly say they would never take a car!!

I would imagine that they start winterizing early to stop someone from squatting, or the previous owner from moving back in. If not that, he alone has about 2000 inspections to do within the month. Now there are MANY inspectors out there with a lot of work as well. I would imagine that like him, the winterizing crew works year round as well. Just to keep up with all of these homes.

33. DragonThermo says:

Does this mean we’re going to see a “Bank of America Steals Cars” music video soon?