Who Is J. Cohen, And Why Do They Have My Office Chair?

Fedex delivered Spike’s expensive new office chair right on time, but they didn’t deliver it to her. Someone signed for the package, scrawling “JC,” which was recorded as J. Cohen. Spike doesn’t know this person, and they certainly don’t live in her apartment. FedEx insists that the delivery was successful, and won’t help.

I ordered a $500 office chair to replace my current, broken mess, and the retailer shipped the delivery via FedEx Ground. FedEx claimed it was accurately delivered, and signed for by a “J. Cohen.” Except there is no J. Cohen at this address; I should know, because that’s my apartment. The chair has vanished, I’m out $500, and a completely uninterested FedEx has now been brushing me off for four calls in a row. Worst customer service experience of my life.

jcohen.jpg

If FedEx won’t respond or take responsibility , then it’s time to contact someone other than FedEx. Contact the company that shipped the chair: they may surprise you and offer a replacement chair. If they don’t, consider a chargeback with your credit or debit card company. After all, you didn’t receive an item that you paid for.

Comments

1. RandomHookup says:

Credit card dispute…

• jrwn says:

What should happen with a dispute is that the CC company will ask where the chair was shipped and a tracking number. The tracking number will show it being delivered. I would do it, but I would not hold out much hope of winning.

• Skittl1321 says:

Is the company not responsible for delivering it to the person who ordered it? Since they clearly delivered it to someone else, I think the credit card dispute would be very likely to side with the consumer, who didn’t get the product they ordered.

• RandomHookup says:

That’s it. The retailer has an economic incentive to keep the customer happy and FedEx has an incentive to take care of the retailer. FedEx showing that they delivered your order to someone you don’t know doesn’t exactly help their case.

Talk to the retailer first and then the credit card company if they won’t rectify the situation. Yes, the CC company might say “tough luck” but the retailer has to live up to their part of the bargain — delivering the chair.

• Jawaka says:

The retailer did ship the purchase to the correct customer. The delivery company however didn’t do their job and gave it to someone else. Fedex is responsible here, not the furniture company.

• Jawaka says:

Awesome, screw the company that legitimately shipped the product to the customer and let Fedex who’s the one that actually screwed up off the hook.

• RandomHookup says:

The buyer isn’t FedEx’s customer. Let the retailer and FedEx work out FedEx’s mistake and leave the ultimate consumer out of the mix.

How about “Awesome, screw the person who paid for the item by making them deal with the hassle of figuring out FedEx’s mistake”? Better?

• Jawaka says:

I feel that once the company ships the customer’s product (and its confirmed that the company shipped it to the right address) then their obligation is fullfilled.

• RandomHookup says:

And I firmly believe that, if I paid for an item to be delivered, it’s the obligation of the people I paid to make that happen. I can’t make FedEx do a damn thing (unless I take them to court), but I can sure ask the CC company’s help in making the people I paid do what they were paid to do.

• Robert Nagel says:

You don’t have a relationship with FedEx so you can’t sue them. The shipper can. If the shipper doesn’t want this type of trouble then they should ship with a better shipper. FedEx uses a lot of independent contractors with interests that do not always gibe with FedEx’s. The driver may have taken it home.

• RandomHookup says:

You can sue almost anyone. If I have no recourse with the retailer, I could sue FedEx for losing my shipment, the same as I could sue the neighbor who signed for the package and never delivered it to me.

• phsiii says:

You can feel that, but that doesn’t mean the law agrees. Surprise, it doesn’t.

• Jawaka says:

The law disagrees or a bank disagrees? I’m curious which law states that a company is responsible for a product if a third party shipping company loses it.

2. Blueskylaw says:

If I delivered chairs for a living, would I want to deliver one to a guy named Spike?

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

It seems that Spike is actually a woman.

• Blueskylaw says:

Let me restate my statement then:

If I delivered chairs for a living, would I want to deliver one to a woman named Spike?

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

I’d prefer to deliver the chair to Spike rather than not deliver it and have Spike track me down and ask questions.

3. El_Fez says:

In my experience of being screwed by UPS, you have to go talk to the shipper and tell them to do the dirty work for you. Anything you try and do and say from your end falls on deaf ears.

That or reverse the charges, saying that the merchandise never showed up?

• who? says:

Absolutely. FedEx does not care what you think. You aren’t the one that paid them to ship the chair. Go to the seller, and get them to file a claim.

4. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

I’ve always wondered what the point of a signature was for cases like this. Seems like FedExUPS should require the receiver of the package to produce a driver’s license and record its image.

• Captain Spock says:

FedEx has both “signature required” meaning any old adult, or “Direct Signature Required” which requires ID

• Silverhawk says:

Actually, Fedex has 3 levels. “Direct Signature Required” only requires that they have an actual human being sign for the package – it can be the addressee, anyone at the address, or a neighbor, and overrides the Indirect Signature/signature on file directive to leave the package. “Adult Signature” requires a photo ID and signature of someone living at the address that is 21 or older.

5. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

FedEx is brushing you off because you are not their customer. The shipper is the customer. Talk to the place you ordered it from. Chargeback if you’re not satisfied with the way the merchant handles it.

6. Captain Spock says:

Not to Blame the OP, but since I live in an apartment, I insist that deliveries are “Direct Signature Required” which requires me to show ID. If this is not possible it gets delivered to my Parents single family home.

• RvLeshrac says:

I live in an apartment. Leasing Office takes care of packages.

• CosmosHuman says:

Me, too.

• AstroPig7 says:

The leasing office for my last apartment refused to take packages. I rented a box at the nearest UPS Store.

• ChuckECheese says:

The UPS Stores in my area are all owned by the same guy, and there are tons of Yelp and other reviews that both incoming and outgoing packages get stolen at any/all of the area locations.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Me too — except for some reason the weekend FedEx guy refuses to drop packages at the leasing office (even if it is open on weekends). No issues with weekday deliveries, though.

Happened more than 3x in a row. I have given up on Saturday FedEx deliveries.

7. chiieddy says:

Uh, have you tried calling the retailer to find out what can be done?

8. J. Cohen says:

Glad you ordered the Aaron chair in the basic black. I like it. Thanks.

9. shepd says:

I had this sort of thing happen with UPS, with a COD package where I didn’t end up getting the cheque back.

My company sued them because they refused to cover it with the insurance we purchased. Didn’t even make it to court, their lawyer instantly offered a full settlement.

If you don’t get anywhere, sue them. After 4 calls, I’d just get it done.

10. dogmaticman says:

Sounds like a tough situation…whoever signed for it committed theft/fraud basically but you have no way of pinning it on that person. No security cameras at the entranceway of your building?

11. icerabbit says:

I have had Fedex deliver to the wrong house, and actually resolved two instances myself by going to the variations on the street we’re living on ST / CT / RD or N / E / S / W after dinner time. Resolved in a matter of hours vs doing the whole Fedex trace a package game.

One time with a one of item the recipient in error dropped the package of with FedEx which then shipped it mysteriously to a 4th party … instead of me (intended recipient) or back to sender.

Anyhow.
    Contact the store / retailer.
    They’ll get the shipping claim started with Fedex, which should then alert the local center to “investigate” and the local warehouse manager will check with the driver what happened to the item.
    Also, if it is a reputable merchant they’ll ship you another chair pronto, without a hassle.

12. incident man stole my avatar says:

I used to sign as Bob Dylan until the driver called me out on it so I started signing as Robert Zimmerman with no complaints

13. crispyduck13 says:

I want to know if they tried contacting the seller of the chair yet. When shipping high ticket items, the shipper should insure it properly. Personally I’d do one of those people searches online for a J. Cohen in whatever city she’s in, go to their house and ask them for my damn chair back.

14. offtopic says:

Call the retailer that you bought the chair from. As the shipper they will have more sway with Fedex (how much more I do not know) and it would be the shipper that would start the process of filing a claim with Fedex.

This is where the store that you bought the chair from is going to make its bones – either they step up and have Fedex or they make it right themselves. If they fail only then consider a chargeback.

15. TBGBoodler says:

My guess is that it got delivered with a pile of stuff to a business. J. Cohen signed for a whole slew of packages and never looked at them. The folks who were expecting packages showed up to get theirs and the chair is sitting in a mailroom until someone looks at the label and says, “Who’s Spike?”

This is what I did every day at a previous job where I just happened to sit near the mailroom. Every day the UPS guy and the FEDEX guy would shove the handheld thing in my face and I’d sign it without looking at the stuff. A lot of the items had been delivered to different parts of the company already, but they just wanted one signature for the whole shebang.

So poor J. Cohen likely doesn’t know that he or she has Spike’s chair. I know… but it’s a big box. Not as big as many boxes that businesses get every day. The chair probably needs some assembly, so it’s not as big as you’re picturing.

• icerabbit says:

Good point. Businesses receiving multiple shipments every day of various kinds may not realize what they took in, until that box doesn’t get pickup up, or until it gets opened and they discover an executive chair nobody ordered.

But, that also guarantees that there is a record in FedEx’s system where this chair was delivered, together with 14 other boxes. If somehow the different arriving shipments can be combined for one signature, then they know which shipments were combined for signature delivery (with one too many) at which particular business.

16. AllanG54 says:

Crap like this happens to me occasionally where I’ll get a delivery to my office/store only I’m closed so they drop it off a few doors down. They’re supposed to leave a note where the package is but they never do so after I check tracking and see that it’s “delivered” I have to go to the other stores and find it. Luckily they give it to me but heaven forbid they should walk in and tell me that they got it to begin with. Hope she can get this resolved.

17. valleygirl_18002 says:

The OP’s pic shows 15 packages delivered – could it have been signed for and dropped off at the leasing office?

18. FastFingers says:

Go to sites like zabasearch, peekyou, whitepages.com, and pipl and search for anyone named J. Cohen in your building / neighborhood. Then call the police, show them the evidence you have from FedEx with their signature, and claim your chair. AND PRESS CHARGES. That is, of course, assuming the thief was stupid enough to use his real name.

19. HogwartsProfessor says:

FedEx can’t help you. This has to be initiated by the shipper.

Also, Ground is subcontracted. It’s not really FedEx. And they suck. Always choose Express, which is Overnight, 2-Day or Express Saver (3-Day). Trust me; the customer service is WAAAAY better.

20. Snip says:

Charge it back dude. They won’t take you seriously until you do.

21. god_forbids says:

Contact FedEx via Twitter (they have several accounts but @FedExRobin helped me). I was able to get help with a similar situation very easily by contacting their Social Media CSRs, who are imbued with magical powers to track lost or mis-delivered packages.

22. samandiriel says:

Errr… isn’t “J. Cohen” an in-poor-taste Jewish joke name for Jesus Christ?