Starbucks Thinks You Want An Entire Store Of Tazo Tea

Back when Starbucks bought Tazo tea, it was a way to sell brand-name tea drinks at Starbucks stores and other retail locations. Now the coffee colossus says the little tea leaf that could is ready to headline its own outlet.

The Tazo store, to be located near Starbucks HQ in Seattle, will not just sell tea but will also offer allow customers, with the aid of a “tea partner,” to create their own blends from a variety of loose-leaf tea.

In addition to the tea and the same baked goods you currently get at Starbucks, the AP reports that the Tazo store will also sell chocolate, infused sugars and honey and other items.

It remains to be seen if the Tazo test will be successful enough to merit expansion.

Last fall, Starbucks announced the purchase of juice company Evolution Fresh with the intent of eventually using it as the foothold from which to launch a juice bar business.

Comments

1. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

If this is anything like Teavana, and nearby, I will definitely give it a shot.

While Teavana allows for a certain degree of blending, for the most part they encourage people to get their existing blends. I’d much ratehr have the option of say, starting with a green tea and adding various herbs or dried fruit based on what I want in it.

• chiieddy says:

Exactly. This isn’t that far fetched and hopefully the prices are better than Teavana.

• SmokeyBacon says:

Oh, I hadn’t heard of Teavana so that is something I will have to look for.

As far as this idea goes, I would try it. I don’t drink coffe and the smell is a big headache trigger for me so the idea of an all tea store is very appealing. I already like Tazo (had a cup this morning in fact) so I know I could find something there. I just hope the prices are not crazy high.

2. Roy Hobbs says:

So what happens when I want coffee and a friend wants tea? We have to go to two separate places for beverages made by the same company?

Also, If by “near” you mean that HQ and the tea store are both inside the city limits, then they are nearby each other.

• Charmander says:

Uh, just go to a regular Starbucks, where you can purchase both coffee and tea. Like someone actually had to tell you that.

3. StarKillerX says:

But, will they also be charring the tea leaves to give them that distinctive Charbucks flavor?

4. blogger X says:

I like their green tea.

5. crispyduck13 says:

The worst tasting iced tea I’ve ever had was a Starbucks unsweetened green iced tea brewed from this Tazo junk.

• Coffee says:

Good to know…I buy Taylors of Harrogate from Amazon (black tea only – I drink it like coffee), and I’ve always wondered if Tazo was worth the price of admission.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I swear by the Tazo Om flavor; I could, and have, consumed at least a full mug of this stuff every day for a year.

It varies from blend to blend, though, some are good, some are not so good.

• crispyduck13 says:

Ever since that day I refuse to waste money on it. I usually get Twinings because I’m lazy and the tastes are always good.

• finbar says:

The Tazo Awake black tea is pretty tasty, and also brews very strong. I’ve had luck finding it on sale at supermarkets.

• Coffee says:

Good to know! This is actually relevant to my interests, and I will consider it the next time I’m shopping and see it on sale.

• birdieblue says:

Their black tea blends are decent. The green tea tastes okay in a sweetened, milky latte, but is pretty pathetic otherwise.

• kmiles says:

Tazo Zen is our favorite (green tea with lemongrass and mint). It’s ridiculously priced on Amazon. I wait for it to go on sale at the local chain grocery store, and never buy it for more than $2/box.

• corridor7f says:

I’ve never met a green tea I liked, I think it’s some sort of conspiracy that people just pretend to enjoy it.

Tastes like barn sweepings to me, even with added stuff (like green tea and berry).

• lilyHaze says:

All of the bagged green tea taste horrible to me. Perhaps it’s the age or the fact that the leaves are ground up or both.

I’ve had much better luck with whole leaf teas (no bag).

I have no problem with cheap black tea bags though.

6. ZenListener says:

There was this native American that loved tea. He loved it so much that was all he drank. He drank copious amounts throughout the day.

And then one morning nobody saw him. Some people were sent to find him, which they did. He was lying dead in his tea pee.

7. iesika says:

Tazo is pretty terrible. I’ve only ever had one kind of tea from them that I liked.

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah but we’re talking Starbucks here, they’ve made a fortune selling bad coffee, why shouldn’t they be able to replicate it with tea?

• crispyduck13 says:

It’s practically their business model after all.

• JJFIII says:

Wow, so I guess the millions of people who drink it, must not “know any better”? I think anybody who drinks coffee in general has destroyed taste buds, so there. I am so sick and tired of EVERY post on Consumerist will always come back to ‘how can anybody,FILL IN THE BLANK (eat, sleep, shop, drink, fly) with that business.

• MMD says:

And StarKillerX swoops in once again, believing his opinion is fact…

8. ibilly says:

I don’t mind their black tea at Starbucks, but I refuse to pay for them to make it for me. I buy 1 lb. bags of OP Black Tea from CoffeeBeanDirect (yep they sell tea). I can make several gallons of iced black tea for the price of a trenta. Plus I don’t have to worry about a barista over-steeping the tea.

I will say, good luck trying to be the next Teavana….

• Snowblind says:

If you are buying enough to buy in 1lb increments, try looking up Holy Mountain.

A small outfit, they import some amazing teas of quality you generally don’t see, at wholesale prices. My favorite is Golden Monkey. Oook.

They had the “display tea” that is suddenly becoming popular since the mid 90’s. Often when I made it for them, it was the first time they had ever seen it.

9. Mulysa says:

Tazo teas tend to have a very bad wicking effect going on with their tea bags. The tea drips from the little string/tag that stick out and has always made a decent mess. I much prefer loose teas, in any case.

10. kevinroyalty says:

I call that idea “teavana”

11. SoCalGNX says:

Big Lots and Costco have both had deals on this product recently.

12. Jozef says:

I would kill for a Tazo Chai tea concentrate here in Ireland…

13. msky says:

I think this service is already available in most high end stores where you can blend your own tea. In London where I at least….. :D

14. corridor7f says:

I find it funny that people will pay someone to boil their water and stick a bag into it. That said, their Earl Grey isn’t bad.

15. Ultrarobo says:

Speaking from personal experience: Teavana > Tazo. I bought some Tazo Masala Chai at the store recently. Having also bought the same kind of blend from Teavana some months earlier, my opinion was that the Tazo tasted similar but much weaker than the Teavana blend (in the same amount).