Samsonite Pulls Suitcase Line As Luggage Shouldn’t Be Possibly Harmful To Your Health

While Samsonite says its “Tokyo Chic” line of luggage is perfectly safe, it’s pulling the bags from Hong Kong stores after a consumer group said it found high levels of possible carcinogens in the handles on three of its suitcases. No one wants to pull something around that could cause cancer, after all.

The Hong Kong Consumer Council said the side handles on the suitcases had higher levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons than recommended in voluntary guidelines, reports the Associated Press. Those compounds are often in plastics, rubber and lubricating oil, and could’ve been left in trace amounts during manufacturing. Cancer and birth defects in animals have been linked to the compounds in the past.

Samsonite insists its bags are safe, and ordered independent tests that found the levels were “significantly lower” than what the council reported. It did pull the “Tokyo Chic” line in Hong Kong after the council said tests showed higher levels in those handles, and promised to replace the handles to allay any fears. That line will still be sold in other markets.

The company said that based on the independent tests and expert advice, it was “confident that consumers can continue to use its luggage products without any safety or health concerns.”

Samsonite pulls luggage from Hong Kong shelves after report of carcinogens but says bags safe [Washington Post]

Comments

1. Invader Zim says:

So its the perfect luggage for those nicotine patch users.

2. Quirk Sugarplum says:

“No one wants to pull something around that could cause cancer, after all.”

Pish-posh! The free market should decide.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

If it would cause cancer in other people other than me, I’d just drag it up and down the hallways of my enemies.

• Coffee says:

“Why is Applekid wearing a rad suit, and why does he keep walking by my office, laughing?”

3. Blueskylaw says:

Is it just me or does it seem impossible to manufacture ANYTHING anymore without it having some sort of deadly substance in it? Is this considered the natural progression of things?

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

It’s possible, but then someone will be offended by it. It’s either one or the other – poisonous or offensive.

4. shepd says:

Can someone tell me the cancer danger of this compared to other things I regularly use that can cause cancer:

– Carb cleaner
    – Brake cleaner
    – Paint
    – Paint thinner

I just want to know if I really need to give a shit.

5. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

I guess this is the perfect place to post a link to Joe Jackson’s Cancer.

6. AtlantaCPA says:

It’s totally understandable: Tokyo Chic -> ToxoChic -> Toxic. It’s their “Toxic” line of bags. I could see it being really trendy with the biohazard symbol on the outside and runway models showing them off with gas masks on. It’s a feature!

7. SeattleSeven says:

“possible carcinogens”

Isn’t a chemical either carcinogenic or not?

• AtlantaCPA says:

It’s kind of like when someone is caught red handed robbing a convenience store but you have to still call them “alleged robber” until they are convicted. Tests on mice have probably shown they cause cancer but you can’t do that test directly on humans, so it’s like that “alleged robber” won’t ever really face a trial.

8. aristan says:

As someone who runs a luggage shop, I’m sure I’ll be hearing about this a lot. All luggage (and pretty much anything else made with rubber, nylon, etc) is labeled as containing chemicals that may cause cancer, thanks to CA Prop 65.

Of course, I don’t carry anything from Samsonite because it’s usually crap luggage. Now it’s crap luggage that’ll give you cancer.

(Prop 65 lists many things, including sawdust, as cancer causing.)