Comcast Tech Saves Sleeping Customer From Fire

A woman in Boston says she has a Comcast tech to thank for her being alive today, after he alerted her to a fire in her building. And before you ask, no, the tech did not start the fire.

The Comcast contractor was working nearby when he saw some coming out of the woman’s building. But rather than just standing back and taking cellphone photos of the fire, he approached the building to see if anyone was still inside.

“We were just trying to kick the door down, me and another gentleman,” says the tech. “We saw black smoke coming out from around the door.”

“If it wasn’t for the cable guy, I’d probably be dead,” the woman, who was asleep on the second floor, tells WBZ-TV. “He’s the one I woke up to screaming ‘fire fire.'”

The woman was able to get out with her life intact and luckily no one was on the first floor, which is where the fire started.

This is a nice change of pace from stories about Comcast techs driving their trucks into buildings, or robbing check-cashing places while on the job.

Comments

1. spartan says:

Coming Monday on the CONSUMERIST:

“Comcast fires tech for saving woman from fire on company time.”

• vastrightwing says:

What a jaded bunch we are here. Yea, I admit it, I was going to write the same thing.

• dicobalt says:

I can tell you from experience that his direct supervisor had to be angry because it would have totally screwed over his productivity numbers for the day.

• Jawaka says:

No, more likely we’ll see “Woman complains that Comcast broke her door and they won’t fix it”.

• smo0 says:

Yup, I saw the headline and came here to write the same thing.

How sad is it – people who would have been proclaimed heroes for going above and beyond, especially while on the job, are now getting fired for their actions? What changed in the last decade or so?

• spartan says:

I was cracking a joke which apparently went over (or around) your head. Let’s not start rumors about the guy. AFAIK he isn’t really getting fired.

• smo0 says:

Of course he didn’t. I’m not saying he did – I’m merely commenting about the COUNTLESS stories that surface regarding similar situations of “heroism” where the hero gets reprimanded or fired.
          I’m not starting a “rumor,” people can read, calm down.

2. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

How sad is it that the very first thing I thought when reading the headline was “Yeah, the tech probably started it.”

3. Phildogger says:

“The Comcast contractor was working nearby when he saw some coming out of the woman’s building”

Typo, yes. Hilarious in a junior-high pun? Also, yes.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Hahaha, yeah I saw that and snickered like a high-schooler. That’s probably why the lady said, “I love him to death,” the woman says of her rescuer. “If I could get him right here I’d give him a hug and kiss, and take him to dinner. He was awesome.”

4. BMR777 says:

Way to go Comcast Tech!

On another note, the fire (probably) was started by a Verizon tech while he was installing FIOS to another customer.

5. AllanG54 says:

We’ll see what she says after Comcast bills her for the cable boxes that were burned up in the fire.

6. CrazyEyed says:

Sounds like the woman is a little lonely and wouldn’t mind some private time with the contractor

7. dicobalt says:

Wow two good Comcast stories in 1 week?!

8. Nighthawke says:

A couple of things could have cause not one, but three fatalities that day:

First is was the door hot? Sure the smoke was there, but if the door was kicked in and fire existed at the door, a back-draft might have happened and two men would have been killed in a blast of fire and smoke.

Second, why were they in the building if it were on fire in the first place? If the structure was compromised from the fire, then once again, curtains for two would-be heroes.

This is fine and all, they saved the lady’s life. But please folks, don’t make a habit of running into burning structures to save your property. It can be more costly then you would ever imagine. That is what insurance is for.

• nicless says:

You realize you can’t own people as property anymore, right? Sure the dude should have touched the door, see if it’s hot… stop, drop, shake, rattle and roll and all that, but nobody died. YAY!

• NickJames says:

I have spider blood.

• sadie kate says:

Sometimes you know all those rules, but when you’re in the situation, all common sense flies out of your head. I came home two years ago from a brief errand to find my house on fire; on instinct I dialed my husband before 911 (though I did hang up before the call connected). Then, once the fire department was en route, I went in to try and save my cats. I know now that I’m not in the heat of the moment that I was incredibly stupid to do it, but your priorities get seriously out of whack. (For the record, the cats did survive, and they are now fine; one escaped on her own through one of the doors I opened and came home that night, and the other was unconscious from smoke inhalation but the firefighters resuscitated him.)

• proliance says:

buzzkill

9. gman863 says:

Given their declining subscriber numbers, Comcast couldn’t afford to lose another customer.

10. BorkBorkBork says:

In before cynical commenters…oh dang, too late.

Nice work to the Comcast tech. I hope I’ve got the same amount of guts to step up to the plate in situations like this.

11. svengali84 says:

No matter how people feel about Comcast on here, there are good people that work for them. Good for this guy.

12. Jillia says:

Um, what was up with the smoke alarms? Hello! Did the lady let batteries die? Does she rent and the landlord had shotty alarms in there that could have cost her her life?

Don’t get me wrong, this is a wonderful story and I’m happy to see someone’s life saved due to a good samaritan, but isn’t that what smoke alarms are for? To wake you up in case of fire?