Give Ford Dealership Bad Survey Rating, Get Told ‘You Are No Longer Welcome Here’

After Wil’s purchase of a new car didn’t go as smoothly as he expected based on past transactions with Ford, he didn’t give them a great survey rating. The dealership manager’s completely proportionate response? To e-mail Wil and tell him that he is no longer welcome at the dealership, and to never come back.

I recently bought my third new Ford, from a dealership here in [redacted]. The previous two were both Fords purchased at other dealerships where I had amazing customer service, hence the reason for buying a third from a ford dealership. I had several problems with the purchase:

• A salesman who, when asked point blank what a rubber tray insert was, lied point blank to me and told me it was a false bottom for the center console (If there is a false bottom for the console, I never got one)
  • A pretty significant problem with my brakes less than 200 miles into ownership
  • A finance/title department that told me it would be no problem transferring the tags from my wife’s car that we traded in to my new vehicle, despite the inability for it to happen in this state, as tag transfers must have identical titles.
  • Issues with people not double checking paperwork properly that forced me to make a separate trip back (I live 45mins-1hr away with traffic).

As I follow consumerist pretty religiously (and also work on a trading floor with no privacy for taking a personal call), I asked for all communications with them to be in writing via an e-mail I sent to my salesman while trying to hash things out so that I would have them for my records. After doing so, I received 7 calls and corresponding voice mails before I got a single e-mail responding to my issues, the largest of which was having the ball dropped on my tag transfer and receiving a phone call from the county that I was going to need to take off a day of work to handle in person unless it was dealt with properly (after paying a $600 fee I was told would handle this legwork).

I let things work out on the tag issue, had my vehicle serviced to repair the brakes, but was still quite dissatisfied with my overall experience, both in general and relative to my other previous experiences, because nobody there seemed to pay any attention to the details that make things run smoothly when I filled out my survey, and I expressed my displeasure quite candidly in the survey. Tonight, I received an e-mail from the GM of the dealership asking me not to return, as I am no longer welcome there.

I’ve attached a print screen of the e-mail (which is quite hilarious, both for its lack of capitalization and the eagerness to tell me just how great they are, while sounding very much like a “you can’t fire me, I quit” letter ). I guess it’s a good thing that honest feedback doesn’t help improve customer service.

nolongerwelcome.png

mr [redacted]
i am terribly sorry that you have had such a horrible experience with my dealership
by far, you are the most unsatisfied customer that i have had in my 4 years as owner/gm of this store
in 2011, [redacted] ford was awarded ford’s presidents award for customer satisfaction
i think one other dealer in the state won this award
the 7 calls and voice mails you received were simply me and my employee’s trying to respond to your concerns
[redacted] is one of the top salesman in the nation in customer satisfaction
at this point, i am content that we are simply not capable of making you a satisfied customer and respectfully ask that you never return to my dealership as you are no longer welcome here
take care and good luck with you future automotive transactions

Does this sound a little familiar? It should. A few months ago, we shared with you the experience of a reader who gave a local Ford dealership’s service department an unsatisfactory rating in a customer service survey. They called him up and implied that any future service he received from that dealership would be subpar.

There are many ways to raise your customer service survey scores. Banning every customer who gives a bad one seems a lot less efficient than just having more competent customer service. But what do we know?

RELATED:
Giving A Ford Dealership Bad Survey Grades Is Basically Tossing Their Employees Out On The Street
Dealerships Fake/Alter Customer Satisfaction Surveys To Get Marketing Money From Toyota
Would You Give Your Dealership A Positive Rating In Exchange For A Free Oil Change?

Comments

1. Blueskylaw says:

The response must have been written by (f)ords’ top salesman’s 10 year old son. It was written in anger and without thought to the consequences. I don’t care how many president’s awards you have, your previous customer satisfaction surveys or the rank of your salesman, the question is how you will resolve my concerns?

The practice of restraint of pen and tongue can yield dividends.

• jeffbone says:

“The response must have been written by (f)ords’ top salesman’s 10 year old son.”

Possibly, but I’m not sure how a 10 year old could get an ‘aol.com’ address these days. :-)

2. akronharry says:

At least the dealership was honest. There must be more to the story.
    Why would the dealership write such a letter? The matter sounds a little odd.

• longfeltwant says:

I think so too. My guess is that the OP isn’t giving us the whole story. My guess is that if we knew all the facts, then the dealership’s actions would look more reasonable. Perhaps this would be a story about two slightly unreasonable people, instead of a totally reasonable customer and a totally unreasonable dealership.

But you know what will NEVER be reasonable? The terrible composition of the dealership’s letter! Seriously, does this guy’s keyboard make capital letters? This isn’t a text to your drinking buddy, when you can leave out capitals; this is a formal business letter, where you should compose at least as well as they taught you in elementary school. He also used an apostrophe to make a plural! Sheesh.

One final bit doesn’t make sense: the OP is some kind of hotshot stock trader, and yet he has an AOL email address (you can see in the TO: field of the email picture)? Really? I’m just saying, stock traders can afford better than that.

• Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

By ‘work on a trading floor’, he meant sweeping them :P

• bsh0544 says:

There’s a lot of people on trading floors who aren’t hotshot traders. That doesn’t make their jobs any less noisy/hectic or more private

• DrRonIsIn says:

The AOL address is the sender, not the OP. It looks like the OP has Gmail to me.

• longfeltwant says:

You’re right — and that’s even worse! Why wouldn’t the general manager of a car dealership have an email address at the domain for his business?

AOL is the marker of a person who can’t handle change as well as the 97% of 1990’s AOL users who all switched to (Hotmail, and then) Gmail. It’s not that AOL is for n00bs — it’s that AOL was for n00bs way back in the Clinton years, and now it’s just a sad reminder of stasis.

• Gizmosmonster says:

I still have my aol address. It is my very common first and last name. I got it back in 1995, and use it because when otherwise I would have to make up something and hope folks remembered it.

• MrEvil says:

Actually, the OP uses GMail. It’s the dealer with the AOL e-mail address, which just adds to how hilariously bad the e-mail is.

• bluline says:

Why does anyone care if someone as an aol address? Serious question.

• AtlantaCPA says:

I kind of says something about you if you have an AOL address. I’m not saying that people should judge a person this way, but it does happen.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

In the beforetime, when the internet was lush and clean and before it was littered with cats and memes, the only people using it were mostly researchers and government and enthusiasts that sought out “internet service providers” instead of just “online services”. AOL was a long time Online Service that carpet bombed the landscape with promises of cheap online time and they got a lot of subscribers.

One day, AOL decided to extend their services into the Internet, by upgrading users with real email addresses and give them real socket access. Excited AOLlers flooded the real internet but knew nothing of etiquette and there were frequent events of embarrassment, such as cross-posting to Usenet groups old threads with “me too” as the only text. Hence the @aol.com address has always been associated with the bumbling fool.

• Anne Noise says:

Because a serious business that has internet / e-mail related needs should have access to a top level domain with their own administrative e-mail accounts. Otherwise, it looks cheap and unprofessional to have legit business discussions over a free e-mail account. Anyone can get an AOL, GMail or Hotmail account.

• James says:

If he is a salesperson, the dealer churns through them at an alarming rate. Why would they waste valuable IT services on someone who will not be there in 3 months?

Only partially snark.

• newfenoix says:

I always point that out when I get scam mail from people pretending to be from the FBI, etc. One of the dumbest was rsessionsfbi@hotmail.com. But it was supposed to be from the FBI.

• failurate says:

There is a sports blogger on Viva El Birdos (tom s., he can’t even be bothered to capitalize his name!?!) that refuses to use capital letters. He writes articles that are insightful and good reads, but I have to copy and paste the whole thing into Word so that I don’t kill my eyeballs and brain trying to read it.

Frustrating. I am sure at one point or another it seemed like a cool kitschy thing to do, but it is really obnoxious and looks sloppy just for the sake of being a complete jackass.

• Vox Republica says:

Even if the customer was Mitch Worstguyever, Attorney at Flatulence, there is no reason to write that excuse for an e-mail. What this guy received was essentially “nuh uh, this guy is great, we’re great, you’re obviously a jerk” e-mail—which is pretty much the biggest no-no of customer service ever, even when the guy is a jerk. First rule of crappy customers: kill them with kindness (because eventually, it magically transforms into high-art satire).

• RvLeshrac says:

I’m curious: Why is it that if you *think* it looks a little odd, there *must* be more to the story?

There *might* be more to the story.
      There *could* be more to the story.

In no way *must* there be more to the story.

This reminds me of people who look at a bad piece of legislation or a court case where a teen is jailed for having sex with his/her teen boy/girlfriend and say “Oh, there MUST be more to this, because that CAN’T POSSIBLY be true!”

• microcars says:

They wrote it because they are passive-agressive assclowns that cannot take any criticism and think the customer exists to serve them.
      I’ve dealt with a number of sales people over the years that -when confronted with a series of problems- turn the thing around and blame the customer rather than admitting any fault or working to solve a problem. It has some roots in showing signs of “weakness” by admitting to a problem or taking the blame.

The format I have experienced is also the same as this communication. They don’t address the actual problem or issue, they simply point to their “awards” and claim no one has EVER complained EVER. They make the customer feel like they are the ONLY person who has EVER complained, so therefore the problem MUST be the customer.

I have always held respect for anyone that can admit to a fault. Does not have to be fancy, a simple “oops, I screwed up, I’ve very sorry” is enough. Unfortunately this is too much effort for a number of people in business.

• Insert nickname here. says:

Huh. That sounds suspiciously like George W. Bush’s presidential philosophy…

• Alessar says:

You’re new here, aren’t you.

3. philpm says:

I’d be sending this along to Ford corporate to let them know what this particular dealership really thinks of their customers. Bet they don’t see that President’s Award ever again.

• jeffbone says:

Don’t hold your breath. Manufacturers run from the slightest sign of trouble with their dealerships, using the well-worn “Our dealers are independent businesses” canard…

• Kate says:

Actually, those surveys cost them big with the manufacturer, that’s why they put so much pressure on customers to give them good ones.

• FLConsumer says:

Eh…not really. Even with Infiniti, which is allegedly a premium brand, bad surveys and calls to corporate don’t appear to make a difference. Bonuses/incentives for good surveys, but when the dealer sucks, Infiniti corporate just falls back on the “independent franchise” crap. There’s a reason I drive 2 hours out of town to a good Infiniti dealership. The local one sucks.

• neilb says:

Yes, it makes a freaking HUGE difference. Survey Top Box scores mean somewhere between very little (if they missed their numbers already–not usual) and the difference between bankruptcy and profit.
          It is not small money. It is very very significant.
          I use it as a negotiating point, personally: “If you lower the price, I guarantee you all straight top box scores.” I also make it clear that I won’t buy the vehicle from them if they don’t perform Top Box on everything (to relieve myself of guilt and to assure them that I am serious).
          The feedback system is broken and it does not relate to common sense anymore. It spawns garbage like this, a free oil change for Grandma to bring her survey in for salesmen to help her fill it out, etc.

4. dolemite says:

Wow. I understand these surveys are basically the “Standardized Testing” of the automotive world, but to tell brand-loyal customers you don’t want their patronage? I see a breakdown in this system. High scores obviously reward dealerships better than actual customers.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Exactly. Statistics and data that are supposed to use to improve company processes wind up being exploited for personal gain at the local level in most big companies.

And yeh to say we don’t want you as a customer is insane.

5. bnceo says:

With equipment problems (in this case, brakes), you can never blame the dealership. However, you blame the dealership with how they handle it. And from this, they handled it horribly. If this is a trend among dealer associations (giving Ford Co. the benefit of not making this a bullet), then it’s a big issue. Very big.

Overall, I never understood the point of dealerships. Why can’t the car company sell the car on their own? Against the law or something?

• aerodawg says:

In most states, yes, the franchising laws make this illegal.

The significant lead time associated with manufacturing a car also makes this difficult.

• valkyrievf2x says:

If I am not mistaken, yes, it is against the law. I always wondered about that, but apparently the used car lobby has Jedis or something working for them. I would think having your own dealers instead of having a middleman would drop prices a bit…

• mikedt says:

In every town, the car dealer is/was usually the big fish in the small pond. Newspapers and politicians buttered them up for donations and ad revenue dollars. Therefore collectively they became quite powerful and as much as the car companies hate them, they have to live with them.

IIRC GM tried opening a showroom only (you still had to buy from the traditional dealer) store in California and got dragged into court. They also attempted to do some kind of ebay sales and that worked out badly too.

• valkyrievf2x says:

They almost sound like a cancer….
          While it is customary to hate on the car companies, it is a crazy situation. AFter all, due to those regulations, it is ILLEGAL for the car company to sell its own product. Crazy.

• Guppy06 says:

Regardless of who is to blame for the brake issue, the surveys typically ask about your “experience” in buying the car. I would include this as part of an “experience.”

• u1itn0w2day says:

Dealerships, the sub contractors of the too big to fail US auto companies. Dealership equals responsibility shift. Dealerships equal plausable deniability. 2 of the ‘big’ three already failed using this model. And in my opinion I wouldn’t be shocked if it cameout that Ford was using creative accounting at the time of the crash as to appear as the sole “competent” survivor.

• sirwired says:

Car companies would like nothing better than to ditch dealers entirely. They are an unnecessary middleman that does nothing but skim off profits from selling the car. However, every single state in the country has laws stating that cars must be sold by companies independent of the car maker.

• Moniker Preferred says:

Um… every auto company, including Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc. etc. etc. has the same dealer structure, with dealers being independent businesses with a contractual relationship with the manufacturer. I won’t say there are zero manufacturer-owned stores in the USA, but I don’t know of any.

In general, it is good to know something about a topic before posting. Otherwise, one just looks like an idiot.

• stevenpdx says:

I would certainly blame the dealership for the brake problem. They obviously did a substandard vehicle inspection (that the manufacturer PAYS them to do) before delivering the vehicle.

• Jawaka says:

The OP claimed that the brakes broke 200 miles into ownership. How far should the dealer have driven it for their test? Would you have accepted a new car with 200 miles on it? I don’t blame the dealer for a manufacturer defect.

• Robert Nagel says:

They would love to , but the are hamstrung by their franchisee agreements that don’t allow it. When they wrote the agreement it wasn’t an issue and now they can’t change it. Most states, maybe all, have serious laws to protect franchisees from franchisors reneging on their agreement after the franchisee has done all the leg work to set up the area.

6. benminer says:

I’d like to hear the dealer’s version of events. I suspect they would be some substantial differences.

• RandomHookup says:

But really… do you think you’ll really hear anything that is worth sending out a “Dear John” letter to a customer who just spent a bunch of money with you?

• Jawaka says:

It’s possible. some customers are just whiny entitled pain in the asses that aren’t worth the amount of time that a company dedicates to them. It happens.

• Beef Supreme says:

What? You want fair and balanced reporting? Try Fox News, you’ll find none of that here on the Consumerist!

• kenj0418 says:

So OP Problems were:
      – Salesperson didn’t know what some minor, obscure part was and said something incorrect. (Who cares. If you have a technical question, ask a technical person – not a salesperson)
      – Brake problem that was apparently resolved. (OK – problems happen, presumably this is a manufacturing issue not a dealership one.)
      – Dealership didn’t know some arcane detail about your title/licensing. (OK – they aren’t the DMV. If OP had an specific and unusual question about title/licensing they should ask the DMV. I don’t think that $600 fee was what OP thinks it was.)
      – Someone forgot to have him sign some form or something and he had to come by another another time. (ok – sounds pretty minor to me)
      – Manager at the dealer tried to call him to help with his problems instead of emailing him after he specifically emailed someone else asking for email only.

So it sounds like OP is a whiney pain in the neck. I think dealerships and car companies take these surveys to seriously. There is always going to be some whiney pains in the neck. But if they have enough business to pick-and-choose their customers – the by all means send the whiner somewhere else.

• phsiii says:

I can buy all of those as plausible except the tag issue. Dealers transfer tags all the time: it should be one of their areas of competency. At least here in the other DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia), they know all the details of rules in the other two areas (can’t say “states” since DC ain’t!), including things like whether it makes more sense to transfer a tag or buy a new one.

• BBBB says:

I agree that the tag issue is the only one that is directly the dealership’s fault. (The Tray Insert I’ll attribute to miscommunication and even if the salesman was wrong, it is not enough to get angry about.) However, for all the issues, the communication should be responsive, friendly, and helpful. The calling on the cell phone after being instructed to use e-mail is not forgivable after the second time. [once is a forgivable error – more is incompetence.]

I had a series of registration issues with my Subaru and a recall to reprogram a chip. Except for one person in the registration back office, everyone tried to be helpful and nice. There were minor miscommunications with the sales office and the management, but their attitude made me immediately forgive them for human errors. After the problems were resolved, the salesman called me to confirm that all the issues were resolved even though he was not part of the mistakes.

I ended up spending a lot more time dealing with problems than the OP, but the attitude of the staff (with the one exception) makes me want to go back in a decade or so when I get another car.

7. Velifer says:

The manager’s letter is going to work even better than he thought. I won’t be going to a Ford dealer again either!

• Costner says:

Are you really going to hold all other Ford dealers accountable for the ignorance of this one particular owner/GM? That hardly seems logical or fair.

The Ford dealer near me is excellent… has been for years. I bought a Ford several years back and everyone from the sales staff to the service staff to the guys who washed the windows when I bought it in for an oil change were great. I would have bought another Ford had they offered what I really wanted at the time – but I would have no reservations about going back to them in the future.

I realize not all dealers are created equal, but I can’t blame Ford for this unless they have ignored complaints from this dealer in the past (and the fact they gave them an award suggests this hasn’t be a big trend).

What I cannot possibly support is the dealer’s immature letter. Not only was the content unprofessional, but the structure was just as bad (ever heard of a shift key?). There are many ways to handle customers who might be unreasonable (not saying the OP is unreasonable, but just speaking in general terms), but telling them they aren’t welcome isn’t one of them.

• BigHeadEd says:

Pretty common response here at the Consumerist. Read the earlier post about IHOP for examples.

• GrandizerGo says:

It is the trend I have seen more and more here…
        Customer A has a bad experience at Business B, posts on here THERE side of the story, Business B has almost NO chance to reply to said accusations.
        20-40 people on here then claim they will never patronage Business B again.
        Same with the people who are all independently wealthy and have NEVER missed a payment and only want to rub other people’s noses in that times are tough. Or that you should NEVER carry a balance, or you should NEVER use a debit card, Or that blah blah blah…
        I remember when this place wasn’t filled with the self righteous.

People need to remember that just typing something on the internet does not make it true. And I do mean that from both sides. :)

• Naked-Gord-Program says:

*Me* deciding not to patron a company because there isn’t proper customer service quality controls in place by head office is *much* different than telling someone else not to carry a balance or use a debit card etc.

Personally I’m waiting for the day the dealership can be cut out all together and someone can order a car directly from the company and/or buy it with everything else at Wal-Mart/Costco etc.

• Anne Noise says:

Your post seems just as self-righteous as the others, and is complaining that people are giving consumer support on a consumer info site?

• BorkBorkBork says:

I always wondered if the average Consumerist commenter has any places left to go, since they’re so boycott trigger happy.

Or if going shopping requires opening up a 300-page list of businesses they no longer support and finding who’s left.

• GearheadGeek says:

There are actually people dumb/vindictive enough to do this. I know a guy who wanted a particular low-volume car, made an arrangement with one of the local dealers for the brand to call him when they were getting their first one (and possibly their only one for the year.) He was out of town when they called, declined to put a deposit on the car with a credit card, saying (on a Wednesday evening) “I’ll be back in town on Saturday and I’ll come buy it then.” He claims they told him they’d hold it, but I’m skeptical.

Saturday rolls around, they sold the car on Friday, he gets high-handed and now claims he doesn’t really want that car anyway, and will never ever buy a product from that manufacturer. Classic “Sour Grapes” scenario, and I still maintain it was his fault for not putting a deposit down when he was given the opportunity.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I would never go to a Ford dealership period. I’ve had a Ford and let’s just say it’s come nowhere near being 1/10 the car my 13 year-old one small repair Honda has been.

• Stickdude says:

How many miles does your Honda have?

I only ask because I’m still driving my 17 year-old Honda. :)

• Doubting thomas says:

My 99 civic just hit 200,000. I am going to keep driving it for the rest of this year and get a new(er) civic for myself for Christmas.

• HeisenMeg says:

My 18 year old accord is coming up on 190k — and other than standard replacements (brakes, belts, hoses) is running like a champ.

• GearheadGeek says:

Comparing the Fords of similar vintage to your 13-year-old Honda just isn’t a valid assessment of the models Ford is offering today. For that matter, assuming that current Hondas are of the same overall quality or level of quality with respect to their competition as they were 13 years ago isn’t supported by the facts either… you shouldn’t assume that Brand X is always going to suck or Brand Y is always going to be outstanding. I wasn’t excited by late-90s Fords either, but they have some good products today, and the gigantic soft Accord and too-big, too-blah Civic aren’t impressive in their segments at the moment. Honda delayed the current Civic by 18 months or so and still didn’t bring much to the table.

• Lendon85 says:

To each their own I guess. I’ve owned 7 cars so far in my life, including a Honda and a Toyota. My current car, a Ford Mustang purchased new in 2001, is by far the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I’ve also received excellent service from my Ford dealership (routine maintenance only as the car has yet to have any real problems). The local Honda dealership, on the other hand, blatanly tried to screw me over with unnecessary repair work. I was so pissed off that I wrote a letter to the Honda Consumer Affairs Department (this was back in 1994 or 95). I did receive a phone call from someone in that department who totally disregarded the evidence I supplied and tried to argue with me and defend the dealership. I wouldn’t totally write Honda off because of that one experience, but I plan on replacing my Mustang with another Ford eventually.

8. obtusegoose says:

Translation: When Ford corporate finds out that customers are unhappy, the manager of the dealership gets reamed. Manager of the dealership then reams customer that got them reamed. The circle of life.â„¢

9. dullard says:

I suggest contacting Ford Consumer Relations. Try this site

which provides contact by way of the internet which seems to be OP’s preferred method.

10. aerodawg says:

Welllll, if your experience was that bad, why exactly would you want to go back? I think I’d be finding myself another dealer….

• dolemite says:

In my town, there’s only one Ford dealer. Next one is about 55 minutes away.

• aerodawg says:

Yah, could be. Guess I’m just used to Ford dealers being thick. You can drive 15-20 minutes in any direction around here and hit one…

• liam_cos says:

He is already a good drive from this one, I am guessing any other one would be even further away. He got a warranty witht hat car he should be able to use at the dealership he bought it from.

• PBallRaven says:

Yeah. When I bought my new Hyundai recently, the closest dealer was an absolute disaster. 2 weeks worth of delays and false promises that culminated in a Friday afternoon 4:59PM phone call that basically said “Remember that new car that we promised would be ready to go at 5PM today? We don’t know where it is or when it will be here.”

Ended up having to drive 2 hrs out of state to buy the car. I left a scathing reviews for the local dealer at every website I could find, and sent a detailed email to Hyundai corp. I’d already planned on never going there for service anyway.

• Snaptastic says:

That sounds alot like my experience buying from a local Hyundai when they sold me a 2011 POS. I am sure that they knew I was so unhappy with my purchase, they didn’t even bother contacting me for feedback. Hell, they didn’t even bother following up on things I had in the contract (I guess my mistake there was that no timeline was involved in the contract verbage).

In the end, I ended up trading in the car and eating a huge loss, but it was worth it to get the heck away from them.

11. Costner says:

I personally would reach out to Ford Corporate and forward them a copy of that email. This guy still owns a Ford which is still under warranty… the dealership cannot prevent him from seeking warranty service on the vehicle they sold to him, so unless they want to buy it back from him they can build a bridge and get over it.

I can promise you that Ford wouldn’t approve of these tactics, and something tells me this guy is upset because there is little chance he will win the President’s Award for Customer Satisfaction in 2012.

12. tbax929 says:

I bought tires from a tire shop several years ago. Since they didn’t have the tires I wanted available, they upgraded me to another brand of tire. The problem was, they never told me they did that, and I didn’t find out until several days later when I realized the side of the tire had a different name than what I’d ordered. I called and complained, which is when I learned that the tires I received were actually better (which I confirmed with an internet search), but I was still irked that nobody told me up front.

Fast forward to the next day, when I received a survey via e-mail to complete. Obviously, I expressed my irritation in the survey with how I wasn’t told or given a different option when my tires weren’t available. About 10 minutes later, I had a manager from the tire shop screaming at me on the phone because I’d had the audacity not to give them a raving review on the survey. He even called me “stupid” for not knowing that the tires they gave me were better than what I’d ordered. After that, I called their corporate office and complained about this manager’s treatment of me. The corporate office ended up refunding me for the entire cost of the tires and allowing me to keep the tires. The manager was also fired.

My (eventual) point is that some companies really take those satisfaction surveys seriously. I imagine that manager wouldn’t have been so upset with me if those surveys weren’t so closely monitored.

• RandomHookup says:

I so hate the “zero tolerance” approach to surveys that I refused to fill out the last one when I bought a car. Too many hints from the dealer about the problems they would have if they didn’t get a top score on everything.

• BigHeadEd says:

I had the same issue filling out a survey on a cruise one time. I found out that anything less that top marks was grounds for dismal of the staff member in question. Didn’t want to be a part of someone losing their job because their response to special needs was only “Above My Expectations” and didn’t “Significantly Exceeded My Expectations”.

• patjk73 says:

In my customer service job some callers can take a survey after the call. It’s one of those 1-5 satisfaction scales where anything less than all fives is a fail. I used to have a hard time myself leaving all fives with other companies because I felt unless someone was very pleasant to talk to and very helpful resolving my queries/issues, adequate service is just that, a four at most. Now I usually don’t bother and only reward really good customer service. The corporate bar isn’t just high, it’s perfection.

13. Sinabu says:

Call Fords Customer Care line and open a formal complaint with the dealership. They should try and compensate you for the trouble and be in the touch with the local dealership.

14. deathbecomesme says:

I don’t understand this. Dealerships sell an item that is not special in any way. A customer can walk onto any other Ford lot/dealership and order the car with the exact same options as the previous dealership. The real draw is in how they treat their customers. This guy needs to stand outside with a poster for a few days/weeks.

15. Bionic Data Drop says:

When I bought a Ford Escape last year, the sales manager came out to talk to me about the survey. I don’t remember what all was said, but it was a 5 minute conversation about giving them all 5 stars on the survey. It was almost as if he was implying I had to give them a perfect score. That conversation alone dropped a couple of stars off of my survey. I don’t appreciate being told what my honest opinion needs to be.

• GRCAMPBELL says:

That’s the issue. Apparently, anything under a 5 on these surveys means that the owner of the dealership loses his first born. That’s why they tell you to work it out with them and never complain to Ford. But Ford corporate must know this and they must also know that the results they get back are worthless if they’re all 5’s. It actually makes all their “Blue Oval” or whatever awards meaningless, because the customer has been badgered into giving the top rating.

• hoi-polloi says:

This happened to me when I bought a new Toyota. The dealer was as light-handed as possible given the circumstances, but said that anything less than five stars was viewed as negative. I agree it takes what could be a useful tool and breaks it. If you’re giving straight perfect scores, it’s also implying that there’s virtually no room for improvement. That’s rarely the case anywhere in life.

• tbax929 says:

I had it happen when I bought my current Nissan. It wasn’t very heavy-handed, but the salesperson did ask if there was any reason I wouldn’t give them all top scores. Luckily for them, I had a good buying experience and was happy to do so. However, if they’d pressured me about it, I probably would have deducted a few points for that.

Maybe car companies need to employ some mystery shoppers so they can find out which dealerships are being a bit extreme in the pressure department.

• Sudonum says:

I think in this context that is the best approach. “Is there anything that would prevent you from giving me a perfect score?” It seems much more pro-active and gives you a chance to air any grievances you might have at a time when they are seriously motivated to make everything right without being too heavy handed or overwrought. As opposed to the more typical “I need you to give me a perfect score”.

• jeffbone says:

Unless they ask me that question before we start the negotiation, by the time I’ve made the decision to buy it would already be too late to change my mind.

Honestly, I just don’t understand why buying a car should take more than 15-30 minutes these days. Pick the car, have the computer print the forms, hand over the check, and we’re on our way. How hard is that? Oh wait, that concept prevent the salesman from maximizing his commission and eliminates the ability of the finance department to make their cut…

I guess using a car-buying service eliminates some of the hassle. I wonder how the stealerships handle those surveys.

• who? says:

I had a dealer (not Ford) tell me once that their score on those surveys affects how many of the popular, hard to get cars they get each year. I think he also said that anything less than 5 stars was the same as a 0.

• Corinthos says:

This is what I hate about these surveys. I used to work at a place that getting anything below all 10s was a fail on me. That included questions about the lighting in the store and the restrooms that I had no control over.
      So now I feel like a jack hole if the person who helped me did great but I didn’t like something else about the store.

• hammond egger says:

I work at a Ford dealership and there are two questions that matter: 1. Were you satisfied with your experience and 2. Would you recommend that dealership to others. When a salesperson gets a survey in, they refer to it only by the letter grade they got on those two questions i.e an A/A survey or a B/C survey. Anything less than an A/A survey is considered not good.
      I no longer sell, the hours and working every Saturday were the pits, but I do like the business so I took a job as internet director. When I did sell, I had customers who were very gruff and stand offish that gave me A/A surveys and I had customers who I felt as if they were going to invite me to dinner at their house that gave me C/C surveys. That’s why the sales person and the manager will be perfectly upfront about the survey. It affects inventory, store bonuses the dealership owner gets, sales person’s pay, etc. and we are very direct and tell people that. When I do a follow up call for one of my salespeople, I simply tell people that they will be receiving a survey via email and if they don’t answer that then they will receive another via snail mail. I explain everything that survey affects. I then ask if there is anything in their experience with us that would cause them to give us less than perfect marks. If they say no then I expect a perfect survey, if they say yes then I ask if there is anything I can do to fix that so that they will give us perfect marks. If I have to bribe them with a free oil change then so be it. My salespeople get $40 per survey that we receive back that is over the company average. I have people that make several thousand dollars per year just in surveys.

• newfenoix says:

If I am asked the question of what it would take for me to give them perfect marks I would say nothing and give them the worst possible marks that I could.

• hammond egger says:

Why would you do that? If your boss rewarded you for good feedback and penalized you for bad feedback, why wouldn’t you do everything you could to insure good feedback?

16. CosmosHuman says:

I understand the surveys can be tracked back to the customer. When I do receive the survey (from Toyota) , I print them out and take out any identifying info about myself and snail mail them back. What they then do, I don’t really care.
    For Ford to ban the customer because he was being honest is bad business. Ford should be looking at ways to improve their dealership, not banning a long time customer.

• Chmeeee says:

Ford didn’t ban the customer, that particular (extremely poorly managed) Ford dealership did.

• u1itn0w2day says:

The problem is in these big companies where metrics are over used and abused they have become nothing but political tools for the employees, especially the want to bes. Statistics and surveys are easy to abuse because in a big company upper management doesn’t get or care to get the real scoop/details of daily business at the local level. The locals hide behind contrived statistics.

Ford and many other companies can’t get their act together if for no other reason they are using corrupted data from contrived and/or manipulated statistics & surveys.

17. u1itn0w2day says:

It all involves contrived awards and surveys. The recent example of the Sears employee taking more than the promised time yet closing the ticket with in the alloted time just shows how corporate employee statistics are manipulated. In this case it’s a Ford dealership that thinks over highly of itself.

I would write a letter to Ford Corporate and tell Ford I will take that advice and never shop at that or any other Ford dealer again because the parent company is unable to implement standards.

18. HomerSimpson says:

Do dealers still have that stipulation where if there’s a discount or program offered on a new car, you have to patronize whatever dealer serves your particular area (or else forego the discounts if you buy it at a different dealer)?

19. kranky says:

It’s not just Ford that cares more about survey results than anything else.

I bought a GM car a couple months ago and the salesguy mentioned over and over and over how critical it was to get all 5s on the survey I would receive. He had a filled out “sample” on his desk that he showed me, just in case I did not comprehend the form. My favorite part was the alleged story of three years ago… a “crazy” customer gave him a 3 on some item and it cost him a $10,000 bonus because it dropped his average score on that item below a 4.8. Oh, and how so many “good people” have been canned because of bad survey results. He begged me to please contact him if there was ANY reason I could not give all 5s, so he could make sure any issues were taken care of.

The whole discussion was a mindgame to get me thinking it would be completely ignorant to not give all 5s. I made the mistake of asking if it would be appropriate to give a 4 if there was a problem with the car, even if the problem ended up being taken care of. He was horrified. No, of course not, he said — if a problem is taken care of to my satisfaction, then it would only make sense to rate a 5 because at that point I would actually be completely satisfied.

• c152driver says:

This has been my experience as well. The impression I get is that the car companies put so much weight on these surveys that the dealerships will stop at nothing for all 5’s. It really seems bone-headed to me, as I would think the less then perfect survey responses would provide the most opportunity for feedback and improvement.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I’ve had car salesman and others flatout BEG, degrade themselves for a perfect score. It shows a lack of class when you interject your personal job security into a company-customer transaction. I’ve been told to beg customers for high satisfaction scores and ignored that order never being fired or disciplined(also not a captain of industry). Grobbling comes off as a USED car, not a new car sales tactic. If every employee winds up with perfect satisfaction scores the management will assume they are doing something right, they will make no effort to improve defective processes & procedures.

• cardex says:

its not just car dealers at work we are haveing the stupid things crammed at us the goals are unrealistic that we have to have 19 out of every 20 people give a perfect score someone is making a metric shit ton of money selling useless surveys to corporations

• CrazyEyed says:

Something wrong with the car is not necessarilly the dealerships fault so I could understand why any salesperson would be terrified of the thought of getting a less than perfect score simply becuase of an unknown issue. However, if they knew a problem persisted with the car, then thats a different story.

Surveys like these are a catch 22. On some level, they help the Salesperson to provide excellent service. It allows them to be vocal, way before the survey comes out. Asking you to advise them of any issues or problems beforehand helps them to mitigate similar instances for future customers and allows them to make it right before YOU rate it as a poor experience. On the downside, we aren’t robots. Our perceptions of experiences similar to other’s can be vastly different. The big car company’s trying to generalize an experience as “Perfect” is an inaccurate way to judge and reward their franchises.

If a dealership has an issue with the review, they shouldn’t have to go back to the customer to get them to change the survey. They could simply argue the facts with headquarts to argue their view and perhaps get it bumped up internally, instead of harassing the customer.

• AEN says:

Seems to me you could use that as leverage to get a discount or other consideration. Heck, there could be $10,000 worth of leverage.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

When I bought my Kia, the salesperson did this as well. I had a good buying experience, best one so far, so I planned on giving all 5’s depending on the questions anyway. The car was bought and titled to my husband primary, myself secondary.

Skip ahead 2 weeks, I receive the call about the survey. They asked for my husband, and I told them that although he’s also on the paperwork, he didn’t participate in the purchase of the vehicle at ALL (I used POA papers), that I purchased and now own this van.

They refused to let me complete the survey. Skip ahead another week, and the salesman calls and asks why I gave him ALL zeros. I explained what had happened, and that I wasn’t even able to complete the survey- apparently, not even taking the survey gives them zeros. WTF.

In the end, I wrote Kia about how my dealership experience was great, but their survey experience was piss poor and they shouldn’t be holding good salespersons liable for a customer either not completing a survey by choice or inability. Kia removed the rating from this dealership/salesperson, and the dealership gave me a free upgrade on my van :)

20. Laita says:

I had a similar experience following an unsatisfactory service issue at a local Acura dealership. They told me it would be a 45 minute service, so I decided to wait and head to my next meeting from the dealership. Three hours and 15 minutes and two canceled meetings later, I left in a rental. They took apart a component that was broken and then realized that they didn’t have the replacement part to fix it (who does that?!). And since they did even more damage to it when they took it apart, they couldn’t just put it back together so my car was not drive-able. They didn’t tell me this until the three hour mark. When I left, the service manager knew I was more than annoyed. They called to do a follow up survey and I gave them a 5 out of 10 – I was being generous. This resulted in a phone call the next day from the service manager who was shocked that I gave them a less than stellar review. I told them I didn’t understand how he could be surprised when I told him to his face before I left the dealership that I was not happy with my service. I turned the tables on him and asked him what number he would have given. He felt that since they provided me a rental car, that should have fixed the problem to my complete satisfaction – never mind the 3+ hours wasted and the incompetence that resulted in the rental car. He actually wanted to have the surveyor call me back a re-do the survey and I was told that they would like to receive above a 7 since anything below is unsatisfactory. He was insistent and desperate-sounding. The whole thing was just creepy and left a really bad taste in my mouth. If you don’t want the truth, don’t do a survey. And if you want an 8, earn it.

21. CrazyEyed says:

While the first two bullet points are either A) minute or B) not the dealerships fault (ie. the breaks), the email from the GM kinda seals the deal for me. Anyone who abuses the english language as terribly as this guy will never get the benefit of the doubt. Not to mention he used a personal email account, perhaps to avoid the eyes of Ford’s corporate eyes.

While the OP comes off a bit petty on some things, I think the other inconveniences warrant a less than 5 star or perfect experience. The dealership needs to suck it up, learn from it and work on satisfying the customer. Satisfying an upset customer is far more rewarding than losing them for life.

22. Mike says:

I see a pattern. After reading this, why would anyone buy a Ford?

• Chmeeee says:

Because I don’t shop at that dealer?

• tbax929 says:

If you have been reading the comments section, you know that this experience isn’t limited to Ford dealerships. I saw similar comments above about Toyota, Nissan, and GM dealerships.

To take away from the article that you shouldn’t buy a Ford is just silly.

• ArizonaGeek says:

I had a 2007 Ford Mustang and I absolutely loved the car, I always had top notch service with it and the sales people were awesome to deal with. Even when I had a problem with my air conditioning system 2 years after I had it, they went out of their way to make me happy.

Like anything else, one dealerships experience does not make a product bad.

23. Clyde Barrow says:

That a dealership would send such a letter to a customer is beyond words but this is typical modern-day management in America. I wouldn’t go back if they retracted this letter and apologized because any company that treats their customer’s this way does not deserve to be in business.

24. scoosdad says:

i think one other dealer in the state won this award

“[redacted]” was awarded one of these? Try “[insert any Ford dealership name here]”.

I’ve been in dozens of Ford (and Toyota) dealerships in my area over the time I’ve driven a car, and I’ve seen ‘presidents awards’ conspicuously posted in every single one of them. I think they come in a box when you sign up for a Ford franchise and there’s some third party company out there charged with the task of sending out new ones every year.

25. joescratch says:

Obligatory pop culture quotation: “You lied to me, Mr. Lundegaard!” *snatches up checkbook, miserably writes out check*

26. combs1945 says:

I had a similar problem with Greg May Honda about 10 years ago. I have a series of very rude salesmen that were angry that I bought a car they were trying to strong arm me into for $5000 more than another Honda dealer 100 miles away. When they saw me drive into get minor warranty work a week later they were not happy, very confrontational, and flat out rude.

When I called Honda USA to complain, while I was there. I waited 2 hours for them to assess the car and was told they had to “order the parts.” When I stopped by a week later to see if the parts were in, the Service Manager said, “If I did not like their sales people or dealership, I was not welcome to have my car serviced there ever again. And I was told I was banned for life.”

Its ok, I would not be caught dead in a Honda now, because I only have 100k cars now.

That one dealer, turned me off of Honda indefinitely.

27. lvdave says:

You might want to forward that email to Ford Corporate.. I suspect they take a dim view of their dealers running off customers like that.. My wife and I bought a 2012 Escape back last October. The experience was actually quite good. Of all the dealerships I’ve dealt with over the years, this was one of the most “together” ones. I’d done my homework and knew what our trade-in was worth AS a trade-in, per KB/Edmunds. After laughing my butt off at their initial VERY low-ball offer (about 1/2 of what KBB/Edmunds said it was, based on the VERY low mileage, under 10K miles for a 2008 Hyundai Accent.. It was wifes car, and she drove it VERY little), I explained what I’d need from them on the trade-in before we could proceed.. Salesman came back about 10 min later and raised the offer to within a few hundred of KBB/Edmunds value. What got me about the whole transaction was the fact that the saleman came close to getting down on his knees and BEGGING us to give him and the dealership all perfect marks on the survey we *might* recieve. He spent a few minutes explaining how his pay was tied tightly to these surveys. I assured him that if we recieved one I’d give him top marks, as he was, indeed, one of the best car salesmen I’d ever encountered. I went in for the first service on the Escape, and found that the dealership *appeared* to have went out of business. Later I found that they had moved the dealership across town, such that it became a 30 mile round trip. I happened to be in their area when the car needed its second service, so I went to the dealership, and come to find out, when they moved, they shed almost all of their sales people, including my good one.. Go figure..

28. emax4 says:

“at this point, i am content that we are simply not capable of making you a satisfied customer…”

So they’ve done what they can to keep him happy, he’s still not satisfied, so they’re dropping him.

And now THE CUSTOMER is crying fowl? Go pound sand. You just can’t be satisfied at that dealership. Go to some other dealership no matter how far it is? Don’t like it? Go buy a used car from someone off of the street. Just as customers have the right to an opinion of a business, businesses have the right to refuse service to customers.

• u1itn0w2day says:

He bought a Ford, not a dealership. The subcontractor or dealership Ford used did not satisfy this customer. The dealership is nothing but the middleman in the Ford-customer relationship.

29. jayphat says:

I say send this up to Ford corporate along with a nice little attachment that is cleaner than three following.

Your name is on the building. Your name is on the card. I don’t give a god damn if its a franchisee, a subcontractor, an independent whatever. Your name is on the FUCKING BUILDING. I would expect that, if you want to continue to receive business, you get this act straightened out before you end up like GM.

• yankinwaoz says:

I made this point to Dodge when they screwed up a pickup truck I bought. Dodge blamed them dealer and told me to deal with them. The dealership told me to deal with Dodge. I pointed out to Dodge that it says “DODGE” in large letters on the back of my truck, so they have better step up. They didn’t. They lost a customer for life.

30. cbatt says:

The store/employee is compensated monetarily for good surveys so it turns into a question of how the store/employee can game the system. That means you either convince the customer to give you a good survey no matter what, or you discourage bad survey givers from patronizing your store. That’s just the reality of the situation.

When surveys are used for marketing instead of as sincere tools to improve the customer experience, situations like this occur. This kind of thing happens ALL the time, the only difference here is that the guy was stupid enough to put it in writing

• u1itn0w2day says:

These companies have to know their is manipulation because if the customer satisfaction scores are the opposite of sales that has to be a clue. Mid to lower level management love these because when the crap hits the fan they can say they did their job so it was the company’s fault.

31. ThinkingBrian says:

Not surprised. I mean some dealerships will never learn how to deal with customers, while some customers will never be pleased. However this customer (The OP) from what is said above had real issues that the dealership didn’t handle correctly. Buying a new or used car shouldn’t be difficult, but I guess it is their. So the OP had every right to complain.

(Personally I have done a customer survey before and given a company bad marks, but the response was different considering it was Sony. I ended up waiting another month and getting a full refund for my defective notebook.)

But anyway, personally I would forward this email off to Ford and see what they say. I mean this dealership represents the Ford brand and if Ford wants to continue having customers, they need to deal with these issues including this “Angry Dealership GM”. But again no surprise.

32. framitz says:

The dealership should be clearly identified!

33. Cooneymike says:

If the vehicle is under warranty and all such work must be done at a factory authorized/specified location, and this is the one for you, as dealerships often are, this email could constitute a material violation of their contract.

• framitz says:

I was thinking the same thing.
      They have an obligation to service the vehicle, so how can they ban the customer?

34. jtnabilene says:

For over 20 years I dealt only with Ford. Bought a new car every 2-3 years and enjoyed the relationship I had with my dealer in Austin, TX. Then Ford dropped it’s “Quality Is Job One” philosophy and my dealer for some reason brought in a new team of recent MBA graduates to run the place and…down the tank… Now I deal with Dodge/Jeep and enjoy the old relationship I used to have with Ford.

35. Talmonis says:

The only time I have ever told a customer to please leave, and never come back, was when I sold tires. Some old redneck came in and the moment one of my technicians pulled in his vehicle, the comment “Oh, and I don’t want that [racial explitive deleted] working on my car.” I asked him “Excuse me sir, what did you say?” He then went on to repeat it, and added “I don’t want him stealing my CD’s.” So I asked that he please leave the premesis and never come back. I will not have my crew degraded by bad people, I don’t care that I lost a sale in the process.

• MaytagRepairman says:

Not as bad as your story, but it reminds me of the time I was in a muffler shop and waited because the guy behind the desk was tied up with a cheap bastard who bought his own muffler elsewhere and had problems installing it himself. He was just looking for advice on how to get around his installation problems. The employee treated him pleasantly and respectfully though it was looking like the guy hadn’t spent a dime in the shop and wasn’t going to if he could help it. I wish they would have kicked him out that day.

36. ShadowJack says:

It seems odd that the Ford dealer would send out an email from an AOL email as opposed to a ford.com email or something like that. I’m not saying that the dealership manager wouldn’t, it just makes the whole interaction seem suspicious.

37. dush says:

How is it the dealer’s fault the brakes had a problem?

38. PLATTWORX says:

I trust a copy of this e-mail was forwarded the PRESIDENT of Ford Motor Company and local media? That would happen so fast if I received a message like this from a business their head would spin.

39. valthun says:

We purchased a new Fiesta, and it took us over an hour to convince the dealership that there was an optional wing available for the car, and it was actually in the brochure, but they couldn’t figure it out. Turns out it was a dealer installed option, but again they had no clue. Then after the order they kept hounding my wife to give a full 5 star rating on the survey. They bugged her so much that she ended up giving them a low review. She already wasn’t happy with the purchase experience and it wasn’t going to be a 5 star review, but the constant voicemails to request a 5 star rating for the salesman and the overall experience got on her nerve and she rated even lower based on those calls.

Fortunately there is a close dealership where we go to for service, and we are very pleased with their service work. My wife will never go back the dealership we got the car from.

40. OldSchool says:

This, the dealership they purchase the vehicle from is refusing to honor the warranty. The OP should send Ford Corporate a letter stating that they purchased this vehicle relyng on the ability to have it serviced at this, the most convenient location. They shoudl demand to be allowed to return the car for a complete refund of all payments, charges and fees of anty kind.

In the absence of an afirmitive or otherwise satisfactory response they should file suit, notiff their state’s attorney general and the FCC’s new consumer group. Appropriate and accurate reports to the BBB and internet resources are also warranted.

41. maxamus2 says:

I love when someone says they follow something “religiously”, cause to me, that means they can pick and choose as they want and make up anything they want.

42. atomoverride says:

the whole survey system is wrong. did you know any other selection than 5 being the highest is a fail. so why have 1-5 if 1-4 is fail? just do YES OR NO. I hate surveys and fill them out negitive all the time. because they bother me so much. this is a flawed system and needs to be fixed.

• DrLumen says:

I agree. I think like the Olympic judges where a perfect score is not possible. 4 ought to be passing and 5 being an exceptional, pickup my dry cleaning, bring me coffee type of thing.

43. Bullmoose says:

Companies are looking at those surveys so hard that employees start to beg and plead for a great score, then the scores are in inaccurate and therefore meaningless.

44. emyaeak says:

Reminds me of when my husband went with my father to buy a car at a Toyota dealership. The “top salesperson” there was a woman who was rude from the start, and got downright nasty by the end. She then told them that she refused to sell them a car because they will give the dealership a bad rating (and this was an FJ Cruiser, which I’m sure she’d have made a nice commission on).

My dad, being the passivist he is, went home and wrote an email to the general manager, and said he just wants the darn car, and if the manager could do that for him with no problems, then he has no problem forgetting the whole incident with the salesperson and giving them a better rating. Fortunately, the manager agreed, and sold it to him.

There is something wrong with this system. My husband, who was also a new home salesmen up until last summer, could have been fired if he had more than 1 bad review. Alas, he was fired instead because he had the lowest sales for that month. (Did I mention, I hate sales?!)

45. DrLumen says:

With all the games that car dealers I find it hard someone would really complain about some of these things.

The last experience with a Ford dealership was not all 5’s. I caught the finance guy in an outright lie and later found some ‘creative’ accounting, the title had typos (paid $150 for that), the truck was not ready for pickup (dealer prep not completed) but I got the truck at a good price. Their creative accounting with my, and apparently everyone else’s, loans did get the dealership shut down though. I can’t really hold Ford directly responsible and won’t hold that against their other dealers.

46. sopmodm14 says:

thats ridiculous, no wonder American companies can’t compete w/ the rest of the world. I though ford was classier than this

looks like customers aren’t welcomed there then

i’m not sure where the OP was, but i just ruled out buying a ford (the fiesta was on my short list too) after reading this story …. and i’m in NY (the ford dealers here are avg, so it made my decision that much easier). This was going to be my first car post-graduation

• Keep talking...I'm listening says:

It’s not a problem limited to US Automaker brands…

I’ve had to call the cops to get my keys back from a Mazda salesman…

Been accused of sabotaging my Civic Hybrid when its battery pack died under warranty…

Told by a Toyota service manager that they are not authorized by Toyota to just do oil changes and tire rotations. According to said service manager, Toyota requires them to sell maintenance packages that cost 5x the oil change and tire rotation prescribed in the owner’s manual…

Don’t even get me started on BMW dealerships…

47. One-Eyed Jack says:

Why redact? Please share the details of this dealership and especially the “owner/gm” to save other consumers the future grief of dealing with them.

48. soj4life says:

Well one of the reasons that they would not want this guy back is because of how the surveys effect the bonuses for people at that dealership. The threat of a bad survey to the GM would have cleared up matters quicker along with incentives to the customer.

• tooluser says:

Always fill out the surveys honestly and to the best of your ability.

If the dealer wants a 10 for every checkbox, then by God they better bust their ass to make it so!

Don’t support lying scumbags!

49. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

I purchased a Chevrolet from a dealership on the other side of the city (an hour away) because they had the vehicle I was looking for.

When I took it to the local Chevrolet dealership (about 5 minutes away) for service, they told me I had to remove the license plate frame that had their competitor’s name on it. They also told me that I needed an appointment, and the next appointment was two weeks out. For an oil change and tire rotate. The service manager made it clear they were under no obligation to service a vehicle that was advertising for their competitor.

I would love to see GM (and other manufacturers) start pulling people’s franchise rights over stuff like this.

50. toadboy65 says:

my mother-in-law is another such loyal Ford customer. Every few years she goes into the same dealership and buys a new ford to replace her old one, which is by that time riddled with unsolvable problems. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that much of ford’s customer base are elderly people who don’t know that a car is supposed to last longer than that, and who automatically buy the same brand over and over again. That system works great for Ford only so long as they do not alienate the customer. My personal process of car ownership is the belief that you drive whatever crap you can afford in high school and college, buy a good used Mercedes upon college graduation, then buy another used Mercedes when you retire.

51. tooluser says:

I learned that all Ford dealers are a-holes in 2000. Haven’t been back since.

52. cecilsaxon says:

It’s called NPS or Net Promoter Score. Some companies have become enamored with the concept of gauging the satisfaction of a customer through surveys such as this. Unfortunately folks lose sight of the intent which is to provide the service that deserves the score, and not driving a score that is divorced from the service that drove it. I hardly ever give 5’s, or 10’s or whatever because i don’t agree with the whole concept.

53. makoto says:

Ford is very aggressive with their surveys. I bought my fiesta last year from them and literally did not have time to fill out their survey and I did have an exceptionally bad experience with everyone except for one employee who I really liked so I decided not to penalize the one person and left the survey alone. They HARASSED me for over 6 months about the stupid survey. I blocked their number eventually.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I had a similar problem with the old Chrysler survey company. They screamed/ordered me just to answer a few questions. They were extremely rude. I think the survey companies probably get paid per completed survey

54. newfenoix says:

I grew up on Fords but stopped dealing with them several years ago. When I buy my next pickup it will be a Dodge Ram. I won’t drive a truck with a bi-turbocharged V6 pretending to be a V8.

• milehighguy says:

Good for you. Have fun driving an inferior product with less power, Fuel economy and safety.

Also, have fun with the rear coil suspension….

The Eco-Boost will beat any Hemi…

But then again… why not consider the 5.0 It’s a solid engine and still much better than the ram.

55. oldwiz65 says:

I simply don’t respond to the surveys; the dealers make it very clear that you better give them top marks or else.