Failed Walmart Robber Unfortunate Enough To Get Hit By His Own Getaway Vehicle

Some people just aren’t very good at getting away with crimes, which is perhaps where the phrase “crime doesn’t pay” comes from, eh? Case in point: A man from New York failed in his alleged attempt to rob a Virginia Walmart, and then had the misfortune to get dinged up by his own getaway truck.

According to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s police report, the man was trying to leave the store with jeans and earbud headphones when employees caught him and took the items back. They called the cops as the guy made a run for it.

He apparently got into the driver’s side of a waiting pickup truck with a man from Florida in the passenger’s seat, and started to drive away. His luck went sour again when the truck’s muffler “dislodged,” says the report, so he pulled behind a store, stopped the vehicle and got out to fix it.

The other man hopped into the driver’s seat “and drove the truck forward at the request of the New Yorker and struck him.” The injured man got back in the car and the twosome drove away again, but then had to stop and call for medical assistance. The alleged would-be robber is in the hospital in serious condition, say cops.

The driver was charged with reckless driving, but Walmart has declined to prosecute the other man, say cops. Perhaps because he’s been punished enough.

Virginia Walmart Would-Be Robber Hit By Own Truck Leaving Store [Huffington Post]

Comments

1. Coffee says:

Lesson learned. If I’m ever caught shoplifting, I’m going to run out of the store and jump in front of the nearest senior driver I can find.

2. StarKillerX says:

How long before he sues Walmart and his lawyer claims “If Walmart hadn’t caught him shoplifting and called the police my client would not have been so rushed to get away and thus end up under the backwheels of his own truck” or some such BS?

• BigHeadEd says:

Given the lawsuits against police departments for car chases of fugitives that end in accidents, probably not long.

3. Torchwood says:

Was the name of the driver named Karma?

4. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I love stories like this. It warms my heart to see thieves get what’s coming to them. I’m just so tired of reading about people stealing copper, air conditioners, and everything else that isn’t nailed down, just because they want something and don’t want to fly straight, get a real job, and work for it. Notice this fool wasn’t stealing a loaf of bread and some lunch meat because he was hungry, he wanted new earbuds and jeans.

5. Blueskylaw says:

Pure comedy gold. I could see Charlie Chaplin starring in a comedy where he interrupts a robber trying to get away in his Model T and foils him by sticking his cane into the wooden spokes.

6. Mark702 says:

So the guy got out to check the muffler at the back of the vehicle, but got hit when the truck pulled forward? Does this guy pop the hood to check his tire pressure too?

• The Cupcake Nazi says:

It’s the muffler, not the tailpipe. Seems pretty obvious that it was far enough forward that the preferred angle for accessing it was from in front of the rear tire. Not really that difficult to understand.

7. MPD01605 says:

That’s my Walmart.
    Not at all surprised.
    They stopped behind a busy hotel less than a mile away.

8. Shadowman615 says:

This doesn’t make sense. If he was trying to fix the muffler, how did he get struck by the truck when it was moving forward?

9. ITDEFX says:

my brother volunteers for that sheriff’s department …gotta ask him about that lol.

10. dolemite says:

I see quite a few car tags of people from NY and FL in VA. I just assume they are up to no good.