Everything This Appliance Delivery Service Could Screw Up, They Did

When Sears sent a delivery service to Stephen’s house with a new dishwasher and fridge, he didn’t have ridiculously high expectations. He did expect installers to show up, not damage the new appliances or his home, not remove items necessary to install the new appliances, and bring all of the items that he paid for. They managed none of these things. And they were late. Now it’s three weeks after the delivery, and he still doesn’t have a working dishwasher.

On May 25,2012, I had a Kitchen Aid dishwasher and refrigerator delivered.

The delivery service was 2 hours late.

They put a 8 inch gouge in my hardwood floor

They put a 10 inch gouge in my refrigerator ( I don’t wasn’t a new fridge)

The installation set up kit, which I paid for, did not come as delivered. With the plumber in my home, we had to go to the store to buy the necessary set up.

The bracket used to attach the dishwasher to the counter was thrown away with my old dishwasher by Sears delivery.

It is now June 12th and I still don’t have an installed dishwasher. I had to buy a new bracket at a special appliance store along with metal clips to attach the bracket that came damaged with the dishwasher.

Trying to communicate and receive customer service within Sears is almost impossible. I get sent from dept to dept for each category of my problem that needs to be addressed. I have to follow up with all of my own service and find the right depts to deal with each problem.

On June 12th, I have contacted an Executive Complaints Case Mgr in the Corporate offices. There was no case # established from my May 25th complaint. The damage claim # was set up on June 4th. On June 11th I was told they needed pictures, but never said where/to whom to send them. They also stated it would be 6-8 weeks before I would receive notice if my claim was approved.

Today the case mgr gave me different info. Who do I believe?

Believe whomever gave you the longest deadline.

Comments

1. Coffee says:

Are we absolutely certain that Sears isn’t the front for some international money laundering operation?

2. rlmiller007 says:

You believe what the judge tells you in small claims court. (and don’t wait Sears’ days are numbered.)

3. Bob says:

Why do people continue to jump through these hoops when a company really screws up like this? Just say you’re not paying and that you’ll dispute the charges with your credit card company and be done with it. You’ll get results a lot faster that way than waiting for a claim to be submitted and reviewed by Sears themselves. You bought a new fridge. Why would you accept a scratched up one? Grow a spine, dammit!

• sixsevenco says:

With my claim, I’d be less concerned about the dishwasher and more concerned about the damage they did to my floor and fridge.

4. nishioka says:

> ( I don’t wasn’t a new fridge)

What is this I don’t even

• Coffee says:

You can’t figure out that the OP meant to type “want”?

• kelcema says:

No, because since there’s both an extra “s” in there, plus an apostrophe that shouldn’t be there– the apostrophe being far from the other keys typed to create the word… I don’t know why she wouldn’t want a new fridge anyways, so I still am not sure what the OP is getting at there.

• Coffee says:

I don’t know about you, but sometimes when I’m typing a string of thought, my mind thinks one word and my hand types another; it’s not a simple typo, but rather the wrong word entirely (although usually similar in form or meaning). As for why he wouldn’t want a new fridge, maybe the fridge he has works with the way his kitchen is modeled, and he’s happy with it.

• ZenListener says:

Getting a newer new fridge would require Sears coming back and doing more damage to something else.

• mavrick67 says:

“I don’t WANT a new fridge”, maybe

• That guy. says:

Double negative.

So she WAS a new fridge.

• dolemite says:

Well, I thought it was funny.

• Not Given says:

damnautocorrect

5. CrazyEyed says:

Sears is a fail by default by now. Why do poeple continue to shop with incompetent fools.

• lvdave says:

Takes quite a while for everybody to get the word.. At least anybody who reads Consumerist should know this well enough… In time, Sears will dry up and blow away…

6. Jevia says:

Its Sears, enough said.

7. ferozadh says:

Yes! A fridge story! I’m so happy :)

8. Major Tom Coming Home says:

I have this image in my head of Sears/Kmart lying on a sidewalk in a fetal position while Wal-Mart and Target are kicking them in the ribs with steel toe boots.

9. u1itn0w2day says:

First get a refund for all undelivered items that were paid for twice. Then start filing complaints with the local BBB and other consumer websites.. If the dishwasher is usable give them the 6-8 weeks to rectify. If there are conditions that need immediate demand an immediate resolution. If not start the legal process and inform local news stations. If it was a contracted service go after the contractor who in turn should pressure Sears to honor any of their legal responsibilities immediately.

10. atomix says:

Does incompetence qualify a company for a WCIA nomination? Or do they have to be deliberately malicious?

11. Scooter McGee says:

“Who do I believe?”

Nobody. My dad is getting a similar runaround from Sears regarding his lawnmower that needs fixed. Still covered under warranty, but they will not honor it. He’s spoken with numerous customer service reps and I’ve even been involved via Facebook and Twitter. You get the same copied/pasted reply, but no progress.

Simple solution – don’t shop at Sears anymore. And if they won’t fix/finish what they delivered, charge back.

12. brinks says:

I feel worse for the OP, but I feel bad for Sears. They’re not evil, they’re just horribly run, with no systems in place that allow things to get accomplished.

• markvii says:

Though one should “not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence”, sufficient levels of incompetence become indistinguishable from malice.

13. Bobster says:

Remember when all else fails, Chargeback !

This will surely get someones attention in the corporate world.

14. bnjjad says:

Is it sad that I check Consumerist multiple times a day just to see if a new Sears article comes up? I really enjoy reading them now, they have made it their mission to find new ways to screw up.

15. ferd says:

I need a new switch for my 20 year old Sears range. I’m kind of glad they don’t carry parts for it anymore, so I ordered a generic switch that amazingly looks a lot like the one in the stove.

16. Costner says:

I don’t know what is worse… the fact that Sears could screw up a single appliance delivery on such a massive scale, or the fact that you could have removed the name of the store and I would have immediately known they were speaking about Sears.

How does this company stay in business? It contradicts everything I have ever learned about marketing, sales, and customer retention.

17. Costner says:

I should also note that I have had good luck with Kenmore appliances, but I just can’t knowingly spend that kind of money at Sears anymore. I did buy my Samsung washer and dryer from them a few years back but only because Lowes was sold out and Sears agreed to price match. I was kind of on a schedule because it was a limited time sale and I didn’t feel like waiting the six weeks it would take for Lowes to order a set for me (using a laundromat for six weeks was less than appealing).

However, next time I need a major appliance (which should be in the next year or two since I will be remodeling the kitchen) I will likely head to Lowes and buy Samsung. I have lost faith in Sears and wouldn’t feel comfortable buying anything from them that requires in-store pickup or delivery. If I can’t walk out with the item in my hand, chances are I won’t be buying it.

18. Beauzeaux says:

“I don’t wasn’t a new fridge”

Translation, please?

19. anchorworm is really sick of Minnesota weather says:

I purchased a new fridge from Sears about 6 months ago and had no problems. I went to a locally owned store, bought a model, refused delivery service, drove my truck to the loading bay and had the employees lift the fridge into the box. This is the only way I will deal with Sears. The local Hometown store is staffed with competent employees. I still stay away from their delivery service like the plague.

20. GoldVRod says:

Hiring a plumber to install a new dishwasher? That’s like paying an expensive techie to uninstall Norton and installing AVG. Would you do that?

The OP should definitely had got what they paid for without damage and should be compensated for said damage, and of course there may be extenuating circumstances that prevent them from installing their own dishwasher.

But if you’re reasonably healthy and can screw in a light bulb then shoot you can almost certainly install a dishwasher – even if it means re-plumbing the sink too. It’s like a ten minute job at most.

21. markvii says:

And the Sears social media damage control team reaches out in 3,2,1…

• Costner says:

People keep making this comment on almost every Sears related post, but I’ve never seen Sears do this. Maybe I’m too early and miss it… have you actually witnessed this?

• Costner says:

Hey – I retract my statement….I checked back and sure enough you were right – they posted below.

On one hand I should be happy to see they are reaching out, on the other hand it seems people have to make a big stink and go public with their Sears shaming before they can step up and do the right thing.

Ugly.

22. TerpBE says:

I had Sears deliver a refrigerator 3.5 weeks ago. They hooked up my icemaker incorrectly, and I ended up with water pouring down through my basement ceiling. So far I have talked to 10-12 different people (Sears store, delivery company, several departments of Sears’ insurance company, several departments of the delivery company’s insurance company, executive support, etc.) and still have not gotten a resolution.

I’m starting to think my best solution will end up being small claims court.

23. SoCalGNX says:

Tell them to come get their crap and buy it from somewhere else.

24. SearsCares says:

Dear Stephen,

My name is Stephanie L. and I am part of the Sears Social Media Escalations team. I am very concerned about what I have read here. Please accept our deepest apologies for the way our delivery team handled the delivery of your newly purchased dishwasher and refrigerator. We understand your concern not only with your scheduled delivery window being missed, but with also the damage to your hardwood floor and refrigerator. I came across your post and I wanted to reach out and offer our assistance in getting this unfortunate situation resolved however we see that you have mentioned you were in contact with one of our dedicated case managers; I would like to see they are notified of this post. Can you please send your contact information to smadvisor@searshc.com to the attention of Stephanie L. and we will see your case manager is notified.

Stephanie L.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• DemosCat says:

Dear Stephanie,

What does it say about a company that has to spend time and money trolling web sites like this one for dissatisfied customers with horror stories about poorly trained employees with bad attitudes, and everything that can go wrong, goes wrong? Simply put, your current job should not be required.

When I recently shopped at a Sears store for a vacuum cleaner, I was shocked to realize the point-of-sale terminal (cash register) had to be about 30 years old. You know, the ones with the 6 inch black and white terminal with burned-in characters rendering the screen nearly unreadable. And the text-based menu system looks like something from a 1970’s IBM 3270 terminal, but without the 4 colors. I’ll bet the software behind the menu system is still running on an old emulator on an IBM mainframe.

After 12 years of service, my Kenmore dishwasher has begun at act up. My initial thought was to replace it with another Kenmore. In the old days, that would be a no-brainer decision. Now I have to really question where to do business.

• Scooter McGee says:

And there’s the standard copy/paste reply we’ve come to know from Sears!

25. osiris73 says:

Last year, Sears gave me a great price match on a similar stove, plus an additional 10% reduction in price. They delivered it for free. It arrived on time, in good condition and the delivery people were quite personable. They even hauled my old broken stove away for free.

Why isn’t my story on Consumerist? Maybe Iowa Sears are different. After dealing with Professor Henry Hill, Iowans don’t put up with those kind of shenanigans.

26. calchip says:

I am honestly beginning to believe that Sears is a very sophisticated performance art piece.

No organization could *possibly* be this dysfunctional unintentionally.