When Have You Made The Mistake Of Buying Something Just Because It’s Popular?

As readers of Consumerist, we’re sure many of you are fairly rigorous when researching a purchase — checking out reviews and ratings, asking your pals, and getting the general idea of what you’re buying before you spend money on it. But no one is perfect, and sometimes a blind buy can lead to a pretty hilarious result.

Over on Reddit, a poster reveals a recent mistake in ordering Fifty Shades of Grey for a grandmother, based on its position on the book charts, and not realizing that it’s erotic fiction and not say, a book about window dressings. Oops.

“We have a serious problem now as I need to somehow remove this book from the possession of my conservative 80 year old grandma.”

Kind of like the time I, a finicky 11-year-old at the time, may or may not have bought lox just because Stacy from the Babysitters Clubbooks liked it. I had no idea it was going to be fish.

So we want to know — when have you slipped up and bought something popular, only to find out later that it was all a horrible, horrible mistake that could’ve been prevented by a little research? Let it all out and cleanse yourself of your secret shame.

Ask Reddit [Reddit]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Why can’t a nice 80-year-old grandmother enjoy a bit of literary erotica? It’s the 21st century. Let her get her freak on.

2. homehome says:

Last time I made that mistake I was in 5th grade, I bought some Jordans and immediately regretted it afterwards. Never bought those overpriced shoes every again. This was before ppl were stabbin each other in line to get them.

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

Wait you bought them, or your parents bought them for you?

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

Yeah, good question. Sure, I did some yard work and such for people when I was in fifth grade but I never would have had enough for Jordans…

3. Schildkrote says:

“Kind of like the time I may or may not have bought lox when, as a finicky 11-year-old just because Stacy from the Babysitters Clubbooks liked it.”

Okay, is Consumerist hiring copy editors? Is there an email address where I could send my resumé and some writing samples? I’d be willing to work for cheap, this seems like it’d be a fairly simple gig.

• Blueskylaw says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do it on purpose. It gets people talking, posting
      more and makes people stay on the site longer while increasing page views.

• Schildkrote says:

Okay, in that case I’d be equally willing to work inserting easily noticable errors into nearly every article, ensuring the site reads like a high school newspaper. I’m not picky.

I realize that based on her articles that’s basically already Mary Beth’s job, but still.

• sirwired says:

Except since consumerist doesn’t take ads, and charges no money, page views mean precisely jack.

• Blueskylaw says:

So you never see the ads for free 30 day trials of
          Consumer Reports? You know, a paid magazine subscription?
          I see three ads on this sight right now.

• milk says:

Make sure your resumé has no comma splices.

4. [censored] says:

I once went to a seafood restaurant / whorehouse and ordered the red snapper. Never again.

5. Coffee says:

Pretty much every Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy VII.

• Altman says:

You really didn’t like 10? Seriously?

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I did. Laughed myself silly at Yu Yevon. Although the end made me cry and that pissed me off because Tidus is a mega-dork.

• RandomLetters says:

Did you watch all the way through to the end of the credits? There was one final cut scene after all the credits had rolled.

• Kuri says:

I thought 10 was ok, but, I hated that it didn’t let you fly your own damn airship.

• Captain Spock says:

10 was great, but 10-2 was very… girly… I think it alienated a lot of guys. i am struggling through 13 and 13-2 now since I am FF Junkie

• Coffee says:

Okay, okay…you got me. I played through 10 and didn’t feel bad. THEN I SAW 12 AN IT ERASED ALL OF MY HAPPY FEELINGS.

• kalaratri says:

*raises hand*
        Too linear for me. Although I did enjoy X-2 as a guilty pleasure.

• Selunesmom says:

10 and 10-2 were good, 12 is great. 13 is terrible – I regret buying it.

Add Silent Hill: the Room to the regrettable video games pile.

Both were games that I didn’t get to rent before buying.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

FF4 and FF6 or GTFO.

• Auron says:

ahhh FFVI/III (depending on region) with the infamous Vanish/Doom “feature”.

• RedMoogleXIII says:

I do find FF12 enjoyable. But then again I also do enjoy FFTactics and Vagrant Story a lot as well. Though FF6, FF4 and FF9 are the best ones to me. Though I do want the $10 I spent on FF10-2 back, I just could not get into that one at all. FF10 and FF13s biggest problems is they are too linear, expically FF13.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

IX = underrated
      VIII = perfectly rated in the trash heap

• kaleberg says:

How can there be a sequel to something called Final Fantasy? Doesn’t the word “final” mean something in English? This is like calling something the “post-ultimate” version.

• Black Knight Rebel says:

It’s an interesting story.

The long and short of it is that the very first one “Final Fantasy” was the last game the company could afford to make and it was a Make-it-or-break-it situation. If the game failed, they were going to shut down their studio and disband.

It was a wild success and it single-handedly saved the company from ruin. Since then, the tradition has been to make Final Fantasy brand new every time and treat it like a do-or-die moment where different teams will make their own version of Final Fantasy pouring all their resources into it.

Each game has a different story and takes place in a different world. The “Final” part of the title is a homage to the sink or swim atmosphere surrounding the original game and the work the developers put into re-creating that moment with every iteration using the very best tech at their disposal for each game.

• drjayphd says:

So that would explain why they could get away with a Final Fantasy 10-2… but it still doesn’t excuse the cartoonishly huge swords and slavish adherence to jRPG tropes that seems to have plagued the series since FF6. (grumble grumble there’s SAND ON MY SHOES!)

6. Blueskylaw says:

Obligatory Apple comment.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Yeah sure…

“When Have You Made The Mistake Of Buying Something Just Because It’s Popular?”

See: Apple, Bose, Monster Cable…

• StarKillerX says:

When has Monster Cable been popular?

Sure they scam large numbers of people into thinking their cables are better, but that’s vastly different then say the snake oil Steve Jobs sold the public that macs, and now the iphone are trendy and cool and having one will make you trendy and cool.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Go hang out at any given retail audio department and ask random people who makes the best cables. I’d be really surprised if the vast majority, if they knew any brand names at all, would say “Monster Cable.”

• justhypatia says:

Sales people are told to promote Monster cable because the retailer can bring in more money, that doesn’t mean it’s popular.

And honestly I haven’t met anyone who has ‘regretted’ buying from any of those companies… even if you don’t like them.

• ap0 says:

The only Apple product I regret purchasing is an iPod Shuffle. It looked good on paper, but in practice it was more trouble than it was worth.

• [censored] says:

Obligatory Android response

• sahovaman says:

Ipod video 1st gen. It was a total piece of crap, I went through 3 of them under the 1 year warranty period, and I wasn’t even rough with it. My current one which resides in a desk drawer is scratched to crap because of the ‘protective case’ since they scratch if you look at them… The battery lasts about half an hour, (didn’t last very long to begin with) and the headphone jack doesn’t work…

Wonderful piece of popular crap.

7. MCerberus says:

It’s the thought that counts.
    And their grandma is going to find out how much she counts to them.

Although the worse story is that this is going to cause a ton more of the dark pointless sections of the internet to get going because they could make millions (series in question was actually an erotic fan fiction. Thank you NPR for this fact)

8. Costner says:

When I was much younger…. like high school age, I made mistake in terms of fashion. I paid $100 or more for a pair of Lucky Jeans which I was less than impressed by – and they never did fit the way I wanted them to.

I also bought a pair of Doc Martens that weren’t even comfortable and felt like 5lb weights strapped to my feet.

I’m sure there are other examples, but those two really stick with me. I bought these items because they were popular – not because they were comfortable or worth what I paid.

• That guy. says:

One of my favorite purchases was my Doc Martins. 20 eyelit, I bought them with my first paycheck from my first real job (Kay Bee Toys).

The things always tore my my achilles tendon, never quite fitting right, no matter how much I broke them in. But I still love them.

• cowboyesfan says:

I break my docs in by wearing them while laying on the couch for a couple of weeks otherwise monster blisters ensure.

9. Here to ruin your groove says:

I still think that vibrator in the book idea from Ali G was a terrific idea.

10. Cicadymn says:

I buy into video game hype wayyyyy to often. I’ve started just not buying stuff and playing what I’ve got.

Brink and SWTOR being two of my worst purchases ever ever.

• r-nice says:

I never played Brink but it did look pretty bad.

• That guy. says:

I had that happen with Mass Effect. I’m sure it’s a great game, but it just wasn’t my kind of game. But the hype was so much that many months after I had rented it, and not dug it, I bought a used copy and had the same experience.

• hoi-polloi says:

That describes my experience with Dragon Age: Origins. Based upon the reviews and the overall plot, I thought I’d get into it. Since I’d played Star Wars: KOTOR and Mass Effect, I thought I’d get accustomed to the party control system. I don’t know if I didn’t experiment and tweak things enough, but after getting killed off at the end of one too many big fight, I just shelved it.

• rugman11 says:

Oh god. NCAA Football 2008 for the Wii. I had adored the 2005 version for Gamecube and they didn’t make a 2006 or 2007 version for the Nintendo systems so I was super-excited to have it back. That game was terrible. It was missing loads of features from the 2005 version and the finished product was so bad you knew they had only put about 10 minutes of testing into it.

The worst thing a found: a glitch in which the helmet numbers for Alabama were mapped to the jersey numbers. At home, with red jersies and red helmets, both numbers were white. But on the road, with white jersies and red helmets, the numbers for both were red. It ended up having red numbers on red helmets or, basically, red helmets. Just awful.

• custommadescare says:

Same here. Although, I gamefly most things to make sure I like them then wait for the price to drop on Amazon.

But, I did buy into the Wii craze. Technically, I did for the Kinect too, but that was more for video chat with some out of state family anyway.

• hoi-polloi says:

I was going to say motion-control gaming, too! I had hopes that the Wii would be more responsive. The idea of a game like No More Heros sounded fantastic. In reality, it rarely felt like my movements translated very well. There are some games that are fun to play, but it didn’t deliver in the way that I hoped.

I received a Kinect for free, and I had hopes that mature games with responsive controls would be right around the corner. A legit fighting game seems like it would be a lot of fun. Of late, the best thing I’ve used it for is voice commands playing Skyrim. It isn’t perfect, but it lets you change weapons and spells on the fly, to say where you want to look on the map, etc.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I had fun with SWTOR up until I got to the end of the game, and after that, it just stopped being interesting or entertaining. I wish I’d gone with my instinct and just subscribed month-to-month.

Haven’t played since March, and my sub runs out in August. :/

• StarKillerX says:

Cicadymn ,

Just do what I do, most of my PC games are bought on sale, long after they were released. For example I hadn’t got Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 & 2 until last year during a labor Day Steam sale where I got them both for a total of $15 (the story is great but were so short I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for them.)

Speaking of which, we’re just over two weeks out from Steam’s 4th of July week sale. Hopefully they will have some good offers,

11. RvLeshrac says:

Not once has this ever happened. How much money do you have to have to throw around before you start just buying random shit because Bob Johnson from TV said it was good?

• MikeTastic says:

Is it lonely up there on your high horse?

• drjayphd says:

“How much money do you have to have to throw around before you start just buying random shit because Bob Johnson from TV said it was good?”

…and THAT’S how Michael Jordan ended up owning Charlotte’s NBA team/Superfund site.

• Mark702 says:

You’ve never regretted a purchase of any type…sure.

12. hymie! says:
    • Carcassonne expansions (the Catapult broke me of that habit)
    • Scott Adams’s non-Dilbert books (Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Brain! broke me of that habit, but it seems he hasn’t published any since then)
    • Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I just saw that catapult in the store and laughed my ass off.

Unless it happened earlier and I wasn’t aware, that’s when Carcassonne jumped the shark.

13. TrustAvidity says:

My tablet… I bought a Transformer Prime tablet (which is an awesome device) but it’s not practical at all for me. My girlfriend has a Kindle Fire, her father has an iPad 3 and there I was… the techiest of the bunch without a tablet to my name. I got the most desirable one and I rarely use it. I don’t have any issues with it, I just don’t find myself powering it up too often. I find myself inventing reasons to need to use it.

• sagodjur says:

As much as I like my Transformer Prime, I’m in the same boat. I do enjoy it when I used it to casually browse my RSS feed or get back into reading books or comic books, but it is essentially just an expensive consumption device with a nice display. I don’t bother trying to make comments on it because I’m too cheap to buy the keyboard accessory.

• The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

I don’t use mine as much as I thought I would but I don’t regret the purchase. I was never really interested in taking my laptop everywhere and using it at local hotspots, but I keep the tablet in the car when it is not on the charger and if I go someplace with wifi I will take it in with me. I also use it with a remote desktop app if I need to do something for work. It is great for that.

It has basically completely replaced my laptop for almost all its functions. The only thing my laptop gets used for now is Windows games.

• TrustAvidity says:

I can see it that way, my thing is that I feel my smartphone (Bionic) is capable enough to cover what I’d bring the tablet in for. The bigger screen is nice and the graphical power is entertaining for the few demanding games out there, but more often than not I’m satisfied with mobile browsing on my phone. The table is great to bring on trips over a laptop by far but I don’t travel nearly often enough to justify it. I’m not able to do work outside the office so it doesn’t help there. I’m not regretting the purchase per se, as I mentioned it’s an incredible device, I just feel I jumped on it out of wanting what was popular without thinking about it practically.

• TrustAvidity says:

PS: A great use I found for my laptop is an OS tester. I run various Linux distros and the latest Windows 8 preview on it so I can give them decent time to test them without disturbing my desktop or worrying about dual booting it.

• Costner says:

I can understand where you are coming from, but I have to disagree that it is the “most desirable one”. I’m not a fanboy and I own a total of one Apple product, but clearly the iPad is the most desirable tablet known to man… as displayed by their marketshare and sales figures.

• kgb says:

Anyone want to unload their tablet for cheap? :-)

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

We have a Kindle Fire and is is the most used device in our house. It’s very versatile. If I were you, I’d just do the walk of shame and get something that is usable.

14. sagodjur says:

Not myself, but when I worked at Barnes and Noble about decade ago, we had a string of returns of The Lovely Bones when the people who bought it because it was a best seller got home and actually read the book jacket to find out what it was about. We ended up asking every customer who asked for a copy if they knew what it was about before grabbing one for them.

• emyaeak says:

That’s funny… I ended up picking that book off the library shelf randomly when I couldn’t think of anything else I wanted to read. Had never heard of it. Ended up being a pretty good book.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I read it while I worked at a Waldenbooks because of all the attention it was getting–I knew what it was about. I only borrowed it from the store (this was allowed) and I still wanted my money back. :/

15. Thyme for an edit button says:

Starbucks

16. castlecraver says:

Doc Martens. Felt ok in the store, but I quickly found out how terribly uncomfortable they were on me when worn all day. Much later (after leaving them to collect dust in a closet) I was told they’re notorious for needing a very lengthy breaking-in period. Tried again, following recommendations. Better, but still not worth it.

• hoi-polloi says:

I guess it depends. While they are heavy, I’ve found my Docs (shoes or boots) to be extremely comfortable. They’re what I wear to work most days, and there were periods where combat boots were the only shoes I really wore.

• redskull says:

Same thing happened to me. Although I had also heard heaps of praise about how comfortable they were, I bought mine because they were trendy at the time. The stupid things darn near crippled me before I threw mine under the bed.

Back when I used to ride my bike constantly, I bought a pair of Oakley sunglasses. They were trendy, expensive, and the biggest wastes of money ever. They were cheap and shoddily made and fell apart in no time flat. I’ve had $20 sunglasses that lasted longer than those things did. Lesson learned.

• Tardis78 says:

I still have the four pairs I bought back in the 90’s. While I agree that they are heavy, I love mine and find them to be pretty darn comfortable.

• shalegac says:

Same here. Bought mine after high school and still wear them today (15 years later). I can see how people don’t care for them right after purchase but a shoe that breaks in and is still wearable after 15 years is a good value.

• Patriot says:

I’ve been wearing the same pair of Doc Martens for about 10 years and I love them.

17. InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Well, on the same note as the lox comment, I bought natto from the local Japanese market because of hearing about it in anime. Never never again.

• Gravitational Eddy says:

According to my sources, Mr Bond says “lox” is shorthand for Liquid Oxygen. Mostly used for rocket fuel oxidizer by a villain trying to destroy the planet with nerve gas from orbit.

• Jules Noctambule says:

Even my Japanese friends don’t eat that stuff! They do love trying to talk other people into eating it, though.

18. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

Facebook stock. just kidding.

19. milkcake says:

Facebook.

20. Kuri says:

I almost didn’t have one, but, my copy of Saints Row: The third. Compared to the other two it fucking sucks.

Probably the same with my graphics tablet.

With my camcorder, I did a stupid amount of research before I bought one.

• The hand that feeds, now with more bacon says:

I would have agreed on SR3 but my girlfriend played it far more than enough to make up for my disappointment. She never played SR1 or 2 so she didn’t have the same expectations I did.

Going to pick up Lolipop Chainsaw today. We will see how that one goes.

• Kuri says:

I think what I missed mose was flying my airplane with a sheered off wing, and tossing fire hydrants at cars :/

21. magnetic says:

Those cute headbands with the metallic and jeweled dohickeys – they HURT.

22. josephbloseph says:

That depends, in the last week I’ve ordered Gunnar optics computer/gaming glasses and a pair of vibram five finger shoes. There’s a bunch of hype for both items, but I won’t know if it’s a mistake until I get and use them. I’m still shocked that I paid $30 for non-corrective lenses and $40 for shoes that are supposed to simulate bare feet.

• Tegan says:

$40 for Vibrams is a good deal, and TOTALLY worth it!! I own 3 pairs now, they’re so incredibly comfortable. I wish I could wear them all the time.

• josephbloseph says:

Yeah, I expect to enjoy them, and if the first pair (I’m buying a pair of KSOs primarily for kayaking) works out, I’m thinking of picking up a pair of $60 clearance Bikilas, in spite of their terrible color scheme. I wonder if they take rit dye well. I might also pick up a second pair of KSO for non-kayaking use.

• webweazel says:

I think you will LOVE the KSOs. The hubs has had them for quite a long time and is now on his second pair. They are made well and hold up great. ($40 is a steal.) He likes his for walking around town and hiking in the woods. He says he can feel the painted lines on the road with his feet, that’s how sensitive they are. They are just enough shoe to still really feel the ground, but without having to worry about stubbing your toes on the cement while you walk, and your feet are more protected from random sharp bits on the ground, like broken glass or bottlecaps.

• Cor Aquilonis says:

I deeply doubt you got real Vibrams. The authorized retailers in my town start at about $80, I suspect you got knockoffs.

• josephbloseph says:

REI is definitely an authorized retailer. They were actually $50 as overstock clearance, with a 20% off promotion. I like them so far, and I bought those Bikilas. I’ve got some trek sports on their way too. I plan to make the most out of what looks like a nice summer.

23. HogwartsProfessor says:

Survivor. Everyone was yammering about it, so I watched an episode one night. Biggest waste of time ever. Same with Fear Factor. I only watched one because my coworker’s friend was on it. She won, too. But I had to leave the room when she ate live snails.

24. who? says:

A pair of Sperry Topsiders (yes, I’m that old). I’ve had them for 30 years, and they’re *still* not properly broken in.

25. crispyduck13 says:

I’ll admit this to all you fine people because this is the internetz and you can’t see my face…

I bought the first Twilight book.

Just to be clear – I bought this book (a hardcover too, jesus) before anyone knew anything about it, before the movies and the hordes of teenagers throwing themselves at a questionably handsome dude. To be honest I was bored, had money to spend, and just liked the look of the cover.

• axhandler1 says:

Just browsing the “teen paranormal romance” section at your local bookstore and the cover jumped out at you, did it? Sure, sure crispyduck. A likely story.

• Coffee says:

Crispy…no…

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

I bought Twilight for the very same reasons as yours. The cover appealed to me. And I was desperately looking for a new book to read at that time. However, much as I’d like to despise myself to say this — I liked the book. A very easy read, but it was pretty entertaining for me.

The movie just destroyed it. I went to see the first movie in the cinemas just to see how it compares to the book, and the amount of squealing teenage girls that were present gave me trauma. The movie was BLAH — I was wondering what the author was thinking when she helped produce the movie. Watching the teenage girls swoon was more interesting. I didn’t go back for the rest of the Twilight movie installments. I guess they really wanted to target the teenage market (hence the sudden abundance of vampire/werewolf shows — e.g. Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Teen Wolf [yuck — seriously?])

I also liked Stefanie Meyer’s other book “The Host”, too. If it ever becomes popular enough to become a movie, I hope it’s not going to be “teensy-fied”.

26. u1itn0w2day says:

About a decade ago I spent time & money in a Starbucks drinking stale coffee and eating a overpriced muffin served by toads who thought I was interrruption to employee chit chat. Never again.

27. emyaeak says:

I about kicked myself when I discovered I was spending an average of $100 a month (for 18 months) on virtual money for virtual clothes and items for virtual pets on Neopets.com. I mean, I knew I was buying them every so often, but I wasn’t really paying attention as to how much. I quit cold turkey, and used the money I “saved” to go on a Caribbean cruise. Now THAT was worth the expense!

• emyaeak says:

Should mention that while this doesn’t seem to be a “popular” thing, I assure you that on the website, I was considered a whale. They even invited me to participate in a focus group as a “long-standing, loyal user”, for which they paid me $85.

• ferozadh says:

Microtransactions… wave of the future. It’ll be in everything soon. Don’t feel bad. You’re just an early adopter. (pun kind of intended…I think) :)

28. cyberpenguin says:

Do PC’s with Windows Vista or Windows ME count?

29. orion70 says:

Can I just say that I can’t believe these books are so enormously popular to begin with? They’re awful. And I’m incredibly tired of everyone going on about them like they’re the best things evarrrr and fantasizing about Christian Grey.

I’m odd, I shun things like Oprah’s book club recommends or what not. I like finding things on my own or via someone who’s taste in books/movies/music I respect. Unfortunately, “popular” often means “not so great”. It’s like judging all your music buys on the pop top ten.

• Aeirlys says:

It seems like whenever a book storms the bestseller list like this (The DaVinci Code was the last non-vampire romance I remember doing this) it is always a massive disappointment.

• RandomLetters says:

I read a lot of science fiction and I’ve found that a lot of the self-published 99 cent selections on Amazon are as good as any book from a big name publishing house.

30. ConscientiousObserver says:

Paul Simon’s “Songs From The Capeman”.

31. ferozadh says:

I bought a copy of Celestine Prophecy when I was in middle school because that’s what young impressionable kids do. I think I’ve read car manuals that are more exciting and infinitely less pretentious.

32. lettucefactory says:

Stacey. From The Babysitters Club. Her name had the “e.”

I’m not some Babysitters Club freak, I just remember this well because it’s also my name. I also remembered wanting diabetes when I read the books because she made it sound kind of cool.

33. Aeirlys says:

Summer blockbusters do this to me every year. At least once a summer everyone gets excited and I decide I’m going to go see NinjaAlienRobotSharks 3 or whatever, even though I know that I will leave slightly deafened and extremely disappointed.

34. MaytagRepairman says:

Birkenstocks — Worst sandal I’ve ever worn.

Harry Potter books/movies — I swear they were written by a homeless woman (serious + sarcasm).

Video Game Consoles — I’ve bought several over the years plus stacks of games. They gather dust because the older I get, the less time I have for it.

Restaurants — I think every restaurant recommendation I’ve received from a friend in the last 5 years has flopped. If I wanted a salad from a plastic bag and a high-carb meal from a deep fryer or a microwave I would eat at home.

35. longfeltwant says:

iPod, twice. They are low-quality devices and I should have known better after the first one (lasted 11 months), but I didn’t learn the lesson until after the second one (10 months). Now I use an Android pod and have been happy with it for nine months now. I paid one-quarter the price for this pod versus the iPods, so I’m already well into relative-good-value territory.

36. Elizabeth B says:

For me, this also works the opposite way. If there is something that seems popular, I avoid it. Movies, book series, styles. Maybe I have stopped caring, but it also means that if several people think something is good (and rightly so), I will avoid it. Overly skeptical.

37. some.nerd says:

Why is the consumerist hijacking a Reddit post? Slow news day?

38. Elizabeth B says:

39. maxamus2 says:

Everyone always thinks that 80 year old people should be “sheltered” from sex, violence, etc… as if they were babies.

In their time I’m quite sure they have seen pretty much everything and not much will offend them.

40. Fishnoise says:

I found “Beloved” by Toni Morrison to be utterly unreadable. But I bought it as a used paperback for a few bucks — no great loss.

Years ago (blushing in deep embarrassment) I paid full mall-bookstore retail for “The Bridges of Madison County” in the hopes of impressing a woman I knew who loved it. It was bad enough having to read that thing, but I kept on pretending I liked it for a few weeks until it became clear I’d never get as far as the kitchen table with her.

41. PunditGuy says:

Mochi ice cream. “Armageddon.” Atari Jaguar.

42. Benanov says:

Vibram FiveFingers. I have second toes longer than my big toes. They’re excruciatingly painful after about an hour.

Tossed ‘em, even after scoring the rubber with a scalpel to get it to stretch more.

43. Elaine says:

Last year I bought a pair of wedge sandals at a discount shoe store that was having a Mother’s Day sale. They’re very pretty and they cost “only” 15 bucks. However: I know perfectly well that the arthritis in my foot makes it impossible to walk across the room in a pair of shoes like that, much less stand in them for possibly hours if I wear them to church or a restaurant. What was I thinking??! I have NO idea. I have worn them exactly once, and often think of what I could have gotten for that $15. I’ve wasted much larger amounts in the past, but this one just seems so very relevant to my life right now.

44. kgb says:

My Wii. I’m too lazy to stand up to play games and move.

45. cara says:

Toms.
    I finally gave in and bought a pair because my co workers all said how much they loved them, how comfy they were at work. I balked at the idea of spending $55 on a pair of flats, but eventually justified it because it did go towards a good cause.

And surprisingly enough, they’re now one of my favorite pairs of shoes. Very comfy, and my orthotic shoe inserts fit well. I think this will be my only pair though, I do love mine though (I got the University Red).

46. JusticeGustine says:

Sparkling water. Was a hot day and thought it would chill me better – Perrier, Calistoga, Schwepps, etc were all there at eye level and 33 degrees in the deli fridge.

Blecch.

47. retailriter says:

I am not a “bandwagon” type personality. Usually I have the brains to realize that if something is “popular” in the Mainstrea, it probably sucks royally.

However, I did try “goat cheese” right after it became popular. Everything I had read about it made it sound so good.

I found it to be inedible. Good I guess – if you like the taste of grammer school paste.

Oh, and I also voted for Barack Obama when he was popular. That hasn’t turned out so great either.

48. crazydavythe1st says:

Iphone 3G. What an overpriced POS. Especially when Apple released updates that decreased the performance of the phone with no real added features as it was going end of life.

49. SilentAgenger says:

If “buying” includes movie tickets or renting a movie, then I’ve regretted forking over money* for the right to view almost every popular/mainstream movie that is heavily favored by movie critics.

* although in this modern age of $1 kiosk rentals, the regret is more over lost time than money.

50. Sad Sam says:

http://www.liketotally80s.com/reebok-hightops.html These Reebok hightops, in black, back in the 1980s. I succumbed to peer pressure, it was a major investment for me and they ended up going out of style before I got my monies worth from them. I bought them myself, no way would my hippie parents pay for such a purchase.

I can’t say that was my last peer pressure purchase, but it was the last one I really regretted.

51. ktlnlb says:

I got Fifty Shades of Grey because a bunch of my friends thought it was a good book. I can’t finish it. It’s so awful. The writing style reminds me of something a hormonal, melodramatic teenage girl would write.

If other people love it, that’s how I know it’s gonna suck.

• drjayphd says:

Considering that the series started out as Twilight fanfic, it’s entirely plausible that it was written by a hormonal, melodramatic teenage girl. Too bad I can’t get any of my kinky friends to take one for the team and read it to actually demonstrate how little it has to do with BDSM… I guess there’s some kinds of punishment that no one finds pleasurable.

52. _UsUrPeR_ says:

My wife stopped me from spending $1600 on a Macbook Air. She’s a good woman.

53. Rick Sphinx says:

VCR Plus+ to record TV shows. Snappy device to snap a picture of anything on the TV with my PC.
    Today, I refuse to buy a Blue-Ray player, since everything will be an electronic file anyway, why waste my money. Done trying to “keep up with the Jones”.

54. akronharry says:

In 1974 I bought a pair of Earth Shoes. I wanted them so bad!
    I don’t remember the price but it was higher than a “normal” pair would have costed.
    I remember the shoes and leaning forwards whenever I was in a standing position.
    Absolutely horrible.

55. Outrun1986 says:

Nintendo Wii, I shouldn’t be complaining because technically I didn’t buy it outright, I won it in a contest, but I would be mad if I paid full price for this thing. It doesn’t have any of the big name games on the other consoles and the motion controls are a gimmick that do not work well. A lot of games don’t support traditional controls alongside motion controls so you can fall back in case the motion controls don’t work making many games completely unplayable. Also there are only a handful of games on the console worth playing despite Nintendo promising more support than ever for the console. The console also requires a whole bunch of peripherals for games, which take up more space in your house, thankfully I didn’t buy into this fad, or else I would have a ton of useless and space wasting video game accessories around.

Nintendo DS, original fat model. I was really stupid to buy a system that had almost no games out for it at the time. At least it could play GBA games so I used it some but by the time all the good games were out the Nintendo DS Lite was out, an upgraded model with screens 100 times better than the original and a cheaper price. I could have just waited for the DS Lite and saved money. Played the crap out of the DS Lite though!

At least it was only $149, I refused to buy into the 3DS ($250 at launch) because of this and I was right, there still isn’t even one 3DS game I want to play and it has been over a year since launch, and I can’t see 3D either, so why even buy it!

I have learned my lesson, no more Nintendo or video game products at launch again, ever. No first model portable systems ever again either, I will wait for redesigns, even if it takes 4 years for the first redesign to come out.

56. ICherub says:

A 10.1″ netbook. It seemed really cool, but it wasn’t practical for anything and I found I was just using my smartphone instead, which I didn’t think would ever happen.

• RandomLetters says:

This. :(

• catgirl4276 says:

I bought a 10.1 netbook and love it like a friend. It’s just right for reading digital textbooks and taking notes in bed. I also have an 8.9 Acer Aspire One from 2008 that I painstakingly repaired myself when the power cord socket went bad and I’m about to buy an 11.2 with the same problem for super-cheap, just so I can have spares in case they stop making them. I’ve even sewed purses for myself with special little waterproof netbook pockets that zip and have soft padding.

That said, I might be the world’s only big netbook fan. God, I love those bitty laptops.

• Carlee says:

Fellow netbook fan here! I have a Samsung NC10 (I think that’s the model #) and I love it. I don’t use it often (since I have a 15″ laptop at home and a desktop w/ 2 monitors at work), but I love that it’s lightweight and I can bring it with me when traveling. I also love that there are USB ports and a card reader, so I can transfer photos onto my netbook when I’m still on vacation.

My boss saw my netbook and liked it so much that he bought a Dell netbook. He wasn’t as enthralled. It was running Windows 7 (as opposed to my XP), the keys were not backlit, and going from XP to 7 (without having used Vista) was a bit of a learning curve for him. He ended up buying a MacBook Air shortly thereafter.

57. Black Knight Rebel says:

I’ve regretted purchases, but I’ve never bought crap just because it was popular. I always do my research and often times end up with lesser-known but infinitely better products (like a WebOS smartphone instead of iPhone or Android)

58. gman863 says:

Does asking Grandma to buy me an orange leisure suit I saw at Jefferson-Ward for part of my 1978 birthday present count?

59. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

How about telling grandma what it is about and that you made a mistake. Let her get rid of it if she doesn’t want it. She’s not a child. She may actually want to read it. Conservative people like porn too.

• DerangedKitsune says:

They just almost never admit to it. Goes against their whole often-religious image.