Introvale Birth Control Pills Recalled For Shuffled Pill Order

The short description on the Food & Drug Administration website says that the contraceptive pill Introvale is being recalled due to a “packaging flaw.” Well, that’s true, but that flaw is that the pills are in the wrong order. A three-month pack contains 84 “active” pills and seven placebo or “hey, it’s time for your period” pills. Some packs have the placebo pills in week 9 instead of week 13. Manufacturer Sandoz is recalling the affected lots, but since the pills are different colors, it’s not hard to tell whether your pills have been scrambled.

The recalled lots were distributed in the United States between January 2011 and May 2012, and have one of these lot numbers:

LF00478C, LF00479C, LF00551C, LF00552C, LF00687C, LF00688C, LF00763C, LF00764C, LF00765C and LF01261C

Oh, and if you feel like you’ve heard this story before…well, this isn’t the first case of scrambled pills in recent months.

Sandoz US Announces Precautionary Recall Of Oral Contraceptive Introvale®, Following Report Of Packaging Flaw [FDA]

Comments

1. Lethe says:

There are better ways to deal with the decreased birth rates, people.

• Jawaka says:

Decreased birth rates are a good thing and certainly nothing that needs to be corrected any time soon.

2. FatLynn says:

The good news is that it probably won’t matter if you get your period in week 9 instead of week 13. I mean, it could be inconvenient, but it’s not the same as when they mix up a 4-week pack.

3. HogwartsProfessor says:

I’m not on BC pills anymore. Quit after my doctor took my combinations away and tried to give me the mini-pill, which was awful. But then, the odds of getting knocked up at my age (47) are pretty slim.

I never EVER got a three-month supply at once, though. It was always a month at a time.

• FatLynn says:

Yeah, these are the new kind where you only get your period four times/year. I think Seasonale is the most well-known.

• RedOryx says:

I go through Planned Parenthood and get a year’s worth at a time.

4. JJJJust says:

Since the 7 white pills have no active ingredients, are they even really necessary to package? I get having a daily pill routine is nice and all, but 7 days of pills that do nothing seems silly in light of this.

• VintageLydia says:

Some people are creatures of habit and if they stop taking the pill for those seven days, they may forget to start back up again on day 8. If you truly won’t forget, then I imagine it’s safe to skip those pills if they really are placebo.

• Captain Spock says:

My Fiance’s pills have a iron supplement in the placebo’s so you are not just taking a sugar pill

• VintageLydia says:

Yeah every birth control is formulated differently for different reasons (which is why I laugh at the YOU CAN GET BC FOR$9 A MONTH HUR HUR people but that’s a different topic altogether :P)

• Martha Gail says:

Which is why I love NuvaRing. I like the “set it and forget it” concept. The only thing is it’s too dang expensive. With my insurance it’s $40 a month. I had to quit taking it.

• Beef Supreme says:

Some brands put in iron supplements for those days.

5. CrazyEyed says:

I guess its that time of the month for one of these stories