Consumerist Friday Flickr Finds

Here are nine of the best photos that readers added to The Consumerist Flickr Pool this week, picked for usability in a Consumerist post or just plain neatness.

ice
(#2 – Chris Blakeley)

bundles of cinnamon sticks in market: photo by Jackie Alpers
(#3 – Jackie Alpers)

Drive Thru
(#4 – gmcmullen)

Cell phone series(#5 – bradhoc)

Photographers
(#6 – matt.nicklas)

High chairs
(#7 – afagen)

UntitledUntitled(#8 – ktorster)

Waiting
(#9 – MGChan)

Our Flickr Pool is the place where Consumerist readers upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr Pool, and perhaps they’ll be featured in a future story, or even highlighted in a Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds post. See previous winners of the Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool finds here.

Comments

1. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Wow at #5… It amazes me how so many people spend their day looking down at devices.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Those people will be the first ones to fall in the Zombie Apocalypse!

2. Costner says:

Number five is the reason I have so little respect for modern society. I’ve been in situations where I’ve looked around and been one of the only people in the room or at the table to NOT be looking at my phone.

The societal implications of technology are troubling. Personal interaction and communication with those around us has taken a significant hit… I can only imagine what the world will look like in 50 years if this trend continues.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I mean… I do spend a lot of time on my phone when I have to. With two jobs where I am constantly receiving work-related emails all day, I do check to be sure if they’re something that needs to be taken care of immediately. But I wonder what these people are looking at… Facebook? Twitter? Instagram?

• Costner says:

Much of the time I see people just texting each other. So there is the person you see, and the person on the other end that they aren’t able to be disconnected from for more than ten minutes at a stretch. So they are in communication with others, but it isn’t the same as a real conversation.

This constant desire to be in contact with friends and family members and boyfriends/girlfriends every minute of every day doesn’t seem to have a positive impact upon society since much of this communication is just done due to boredom. Most of the conversations people start with me via text are conversations that have no true value – they just start them because they are bored and are trying to waste time. Makes me wonder what we are sacrificing as a society since people seem to need to fill their downtime with unproductive conversations.

People use their devices as crutches to some degree. They pull away from real meaningful interactions and replace them with texts about song lyrics and the latest episode of America’s Got Talent. Reading what celebrity or athlete has to say on Twitter and checking Facebook to read up about some random high school friend’s toddler that you have never met seem to be par for the course.

I wonder if there will ever be a backlash where people go the other way and disconnect so they can get back to real life? Will people put away the devices to pick up a book or try to better themselves or contribute something to our world, or is everyone more concerned with how many Twitter followers they have or what locations they are the mayor off on Foursquare?

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I wish we could disconnnect more. When I’m at work, it’s not unusual for me to get an email, followed a few minutes later by an IM asking “did you see my email”. People expect instant gratification and instant answers. Many of my coworkers could name every single person on American Idol or Dancing with the Stars, but if you asked them to name one Supreme Court justice, or our local congressman’s name, they’d stare at you like a diary cow.

In one way, I’m sort of glad cell service is crappy at my house. It gives me an excuse not to have to be accessible to everyone 24/7.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I read Annie’s Mailbox in the paper, and people are always whining about “she unfriended me on Facebook” or about a text, email, etc. but no one seems to want to talk to anyone face to face anymore. I agree, it is disturbing. Wait until there’s a solar flare and it knocks out telecommunications for a day or week. We’ll have people walking around in a catatonic state because they can’t check Facebook every 2 minutes.

3. Murph1908 says:

Is #3 cinnamon? I’ve never seen it sold in bulk like that.

4. SharkD says:

#5 has an incorrect attribution — it should be http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradhoc/

It’s also a prime example of how a desaturated color image ≠a black and white photograph. The skin tones are nauseatingly middle-gray and the contrast curve is horrifyingly flat.

#7 appears twice and is oversaturated to the point that it’s almost cartoonish.

And though I like #3, its been severely oversharpened.

5. Rocket says: