Applebee’s: Hey Ladies, Stop Facebooking About Facebook & Get Some Appetizers!

Applebee’s thinks all you women are silly shut-ins addicted to Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook, and what’s better to cure socialnetworkitis than a night out gabbing with your galpals and eating potato skins? So it goes with the chain’s new ad campaign starring the “Girls Night Out Goddess.” She’s “wacky, irreverent, she’s from back in the day.” Oh boy.

In a series of ads (via Buzzfeed) directed at ladies obsessively pinning cute outfits for cats or tweeting every five seconds or updating the world on which fro-yo place they think is the best, Applebee’s is trying to tell women that it’s better to have some real face-time with pals.

Which is kind of a good point, but whether or not women (or anyone) chooses Applebee’s as the watering hole of choice for a marathon validation session remains to be seen. But hey, if anyone can convince women it’s ridiculous that they’re on their “442nd Pin… this week,” it’s a woman in what appears to be some kind of hip senior citizen gear extolling the high times to be had boozing with your galpals.

That being said, “A” for effort, Applebee’s.

Pinterest ad:

Facebook (actually pretty funny):

Twitter:

Comments

1. Clyde Barrow says:

I don’t need wacky, I want normal.

2. framitz says:

“F” for fail.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Yeah, I knew it would be full of fail when I saw them desperately throwing around random catchphrases and adjectives like “back in the day” and “wacky”.

Hey Applebee’s, Bart Simpson says if you have to ask if you’re cool….you’re not cool. It also applies if you constantly feel the need to proclaim how cool you are.

3. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I like it, the ads are clever, but Applebee’s wouldn’t be my meet-up of choice.

• evilpete says:

I’d be reading this at the local pub if the had wifi

• Conformist138 says:

I like them, too. I was prepared to hate them, but I found myself chuckling a bit.

Of course, I’m clearly not Applebee’s target customer because I do none of those things and am confused by what Pinterest is, exactly. Also, my best friend and I already have dinner together at least once a week, but we frequent a locally owned bar and grill with a staff that knows us too well by now. It’s not that we’ve forgotten going out- we just have higher standards than Applebee’s.

4. sadie kate says:

If I could actually get a break from being a full-time stay-at-home mom during the day while my husband works, and then being a full-time freelance writer from home on the evenings and weekends, Applebee’s would be about the last place I would go for quality hangout time with my girlfriends.

5. Bagels says:

the word ‘galpal’ is just awful

• RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

Chris-Chan has forever ruined that phrase for me. Not that it was especially favorable to begin with. :/

6. Not Given says:

Next time I go in there and they don’t give me silverware to eat with or they leave me sitting without even bringing me a menu for a long time or I get another California shrimp salad without the avocado, I’ll FB and tweet about it. Oh, wait, I already swore off the place for the crappy service.

7. Quirk Sugarplum says:

Oh, Applebees. I appreciate that we’re a complicated and difficult group for marketing. But this – like your menu, atmosphere and patron satisfaction – is just sad. Sadly sad.

Please, for your own sake, concentrate on building in the boonies where at least there’s a chance a few people may decide “Oh, screw it. Let’s just go to Applebees. At least it’s close.”

• VintageLydia says:

lmao at my mom’s small town, that’s exactly what they did. It’s one of maybe three or four non fast food restaurants and the only one with a bar that stays open late. And it’s actually better and nicer than some of the other places, believe it or not.

8. corridor7f says:

Well, there won’t be any of those pesky men around to ruin your Girl Talk.

9. PLATTWORX says:

I actually like them. When she first breaks through and screams “seriously” it’s jarring as hell… but they are cute and true.. even for the 95% who will go somewhere else to eat.

10. Pagan wants a +1 button says:

People still go out for frozen yogurt?

11. KathrynMxPx says:

hey, at least the ads are something different! …and the facebook one was quite funny