Arby’s Customer Sues Restaurant Because Using The Urinal Shouldn’t Result In Burnt Genitals

An Arby’s customer in Colorado has sued the restaurant chain over a 2010 incident in which he claims his genitals were burnt when the urinal he was using “caused a jet of hot steam to shoot forth.”

Making matters worse, claims the plaintiff, when he and his wife complained to restaurant employees about the unexpected steam bath, they were allegedly told that this is a recurring problem that “happens when the sink in the kitchen is running.”

The suit, which does not detail the extent of the man’s injuries, seeks unspecified damages and alleges negligence, premises liability and loss of consortium.

Arby’s Might Want to Settle This One [CourthouseNews.com]

Comments

1. JHDarkLeg says:

I blame the OP! He should have expected that urinals shoot hot steam from time to time and spent his money accordingly.

2. Snape says:

steamed nuts a la mode!

(yes I know this doesn’t make sense)

3. Bob says:

Eh, just put some aloe on it.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Is that a urinal for conjoined twins?

5. Osagasu says:

What I’m worried about is the set of circumstances that would cause this. It’s supposed to be cold water flowing through those pipes, surely something like this would have been caught with the very first flush?

• nishioka says:

Apparently the issue has been “caught”, they’ve just elected not to do anything about it.

• who? says:

I assume the hot and cold pipes were mixed up. That happened to my friends when they were doing a whole house remodel. They first noticed that steam was warming their private parts when they sat down. The next thing they noticed was water, everywhere, when the wax seal on the flange melted.

Besides the hot water, they also didn’t have a roof at the time, it was raining, and the blue plastic tarp had blown off the top of the bathroom, so the mental picture that my friend painted was of a guy sitting on the toilet holding an umbrella, with steam warming his behind.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Likely the hot pipe is adjacent to cold pipe and heats the water.

• aja175 says:

We have a weird problem like this in our office bathroom. A couple times a year the toilets fill with hot water. Nobody can figure out why, building engineering is stumped.

• Kuchen says:

That happened at my work, too! We have to submit maintenance requests online, and write a little description of the problem. I wish I could have seen the faces of the people who read my “The toilet in the west hallway is hot, I think it is filled with hot water, but I haven’t put my hand in it to check.”

• shepd says:

Water is drawn from the urinal, pressure is low, mixer tap is opened with no backflow preventer. Bad pressure in the building or at least in that pipe system (perhaps a pipe is clogged?)

Cold water pressure goes down due to the urinal flushing. Mixer tap is set on cold and hot water. Vacuum is created from cold pipe at mixer tap due to the lower pressure. Hot water pressure is higher, so hot water exits both the faucet, but also go back down the cold water pipe. Hot water in cold pipe now exits urinal.

Ever gone to a bathroom where when you open a faucet you hear a “sucking” noise”? Now you know.

6. quail says:

Is that urinal designed for a man who comes home after an all night bender? It might work if there was a third urinal behind the camera.

7. Here to ruin your groove says:

Just curious, why sue the chain and not the franchise?

• 2 Replies says:

Why rob a bank and not a tip jar?

• RandomHookup says:

From the article:

“… sued Tulsa-based U.S. Beef Corp. dba Arby’s Restaurant, for the alarming incident in its Monument, Colo. outlet.”

Sounds like he is suing the owners of that location. According to their website, “United States Beef Corporation is the largest Arby’s franchisee in the world.”

8. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

No mention of this on his Facebook timeline.

Is there an emergency room report?

9. RecordStoreToughGuy_RidesTheWarpOfSpaceIntoTheWombOfNight says:

WHAT

THE

ACTUAL

FUCK

10. whosyer12 says:

Gee– I’ve always found urinal water to be extremely cold……and deep too!

• jeffbone says:

+1 internets to you, sir…even if that is one of the oldest men’s room jokes in the book…

11. SkokieGuy says:

Since it is important to speculate without facts (this is the internet, amiright)? Here’s my take on how it could have happened.

I think that the drains in this facility are probably slow-running, partially clogged with grease and such. I bet the urinal and kitchen sink drains both connect lower down to a main sewer line.

Cook empties a giant pot of boiling pasta water into the kitchen drain, which cannot accept it all.

The water and steam begin to back up, not only into the kitchen sink, but any other drains tied to the same sewer line.

Since the urinal drain is probably lower than the sink drain, it would probably back up faster.

• failurate says:

Well, we do have at least one fact, it was an Arby’s. Not sure they offer a lot of pasta.

• tsumeone says:

They said it’s whenever the kitchen sink is on (presumably using hot water), so this does sound plausible.

12. aweirdguy says:

Wow! This story really….

…pisses me off
    …steams my balls
    …gets me really hot and bothered
    …cooks my oysters
    …shocks my rocks

It’s really ALL of that, AND the kitchen sink!

Ba dum pum. That’s all for now folks, but stick around I’ll be here all week!

13. evilpete says:

Sound like the plumber used T fittings on the drain instead of Y fittings, that and they probably have a clogged pipe downstream

14. dush says:

He must have just sprayed Banana Boat on his junk.

15. finbar says:

That’s why I always pee on the floor.

16. CrazyEyed says:

Wonder if he was Grilling at the the time…

17. Dirt Farmer says:

Rub some dirt in it and take a lap.

18. madcatcasey says:

I bet that ruffled his jimmies.

19. RandomHookup says:

The suit, which does not detail the extent of the man’s injuries…

There are times when under-reporting the facts is a very good thing.

20. jayphat says:

I would hate to have to sit on the jury and see images showing the extent of his injuries.

21. jayphat says:

22. quieterhue says:

As a woman, I am not aquainted with standard urinal practices. Wouldn’t you have to stand really close to the urinal for the steam to burn you? I mean, unless the steam was jetting out under high pressure, I can’t imagine it would cause any serious damage (heck, women pay lots of money for spa treatments where they treat your face with steam to open up your pores). If in fact this guy was legitimately burned by the steam, that sounds like a extremely serious plumming problem that should be delt with immediately. Thing is, apparently the restaurant employees were aware of this problem and it hadn’t been fixed, so I have to wonder whether it really was that dangerous of an issue. I don’t want to go so far as to say this is an illegitimate lawsuit, but it seems like a bit of a stretch.

• RandomHookup says:

Depending on the guy and the design of the urinal, you do stand pretty close (further away causes all kinds of problems). Most guys hang their equipment over the urinal, so a burst of steam out of there might be a real issue.

Just because they knew about it, doesn’t mean it didn’t have potential for a problem. Perhaps it only happens when someone turns on a certain valve and that rarely happens — until now.

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Yes, you should stand really close to the urinal so you don’t dribble on the floor. Apparently many males don’t get this and I always have to search for dry spots to plant my feet. Another custom is to celebrate a job well done by leaving some pubic hairs on the rim.

• cybrczch says:

As a man, here are some answers to your questions:

1) While some men may stand back from a urinal to avoid splash-back and stepping in any puddles underneath, some men stand relatively close due to weak stream, shyness, or other reasons.
      2) They do mention a ‘jet’ of steam. The steam facial spa treatments you get (under the tent with a bowl of steaming scented water) do not have the same force as a jet of steam would have. Try microwaving a glass of water with plastic wrap covering the top of the glass, with one small vent hole to let the steam out, when the steam is flowing well, place your finger directly above the hole. Not what you’d want for a facial.
      3) The genital area for both men and women can be very sensitive. Especially if he was left uncircumsized.

• finbar says:

Depending on the urinal splash-back can be an issue, I tend to stand a bit back to ensure my pants remain urine free.

Old school urinals that go all the way to the floor work better than the new wall mounted “stubies.”

23. aleck says:

“loss of consortium” is a red flag for a moneygrab suit.

24. kursk says:

My first reaction is just how close was he standing to the urinal?

25. AttackCat says:

Why was his wife complaining?

26. Captain Walker says:

I always thought Arby’s stood for Roast Beef.

I guess it’s for Redhot Balls.

27. RandomLetters says:

Sounds like the P-trap wasn’t working right as well. Otherwise there would have been a shower of pee scented water ahead of the steam bath.

28. Press1forDialTone says:

The excuse is bulls***. After asking a plumbing contractor, there is NO WAY that hot water
    could make it’s way to the urinal. The take-off for the water for the urinal is BEFORE the
    take off for the hot-water heater and there are 2 valves (prmary and backup)
    to prevent hot-water from going back into the incoming cold-water line.
    Contractor says that routine testing during installation makes certain everything
    is in order.

The person bringing suit is likely a d-bag who burned his junk with his lighter
    in this pants pocket and thought up this scheme. Punishment? $1000 fine,
    $1 dollar for bringing a false suit and $999 for being a liar.

• jamar0303 says:

And there’s no possible way a contractor would lie to cover up a badly-done job, right?

• insaneferret says:

You’re discounting the possibility that the steam came from the drainage system rather than the water supply, a commercial dishwasher with a broken drainage valve could easily send hot steam shooting into the drain which could then come up in a poorly constructed urinal without a U-bend