IKEA Forgets To Load My New Fridge Onto Truck, Now It Won’t Take My Calls

Josh and his girlfriend are very unhappy with IKEA right now, and it’s not just because the company’s contracted delivery service mishandled several thousands of dollars worth of appliances and cabinetry. What really has them steaming is the fact that the retailer never even shipped the couple’s new fridge… and now won’t tell them where the appliance is.

Neither Josh nor his girlfriend could be home when the delivery was scheduled, so the contractors working in their home signed for the delivery.

After sorting through all the boxes that appeared to have been left out in the rain or otherwise mangled by the delivery service, Josh and his girlfriend noticed that their brand new IKEA fridge had somehow not been included in the shipment.

It took several calls to the delivery service to find out that the fridge had never been put on the truck in the first place.

Writes Josh:

At first, I thought there would be a simple fix. Surely, if I called and explained what had happened they would just reschedule delivery, right? But for two days now I’ve been shouting into the abyss that is IKEA’s customer service.

I’ve called the “after sales” department over 20 times since Monday only getting through once. Calls to any other department get me routed back to “after sales,” allegedly the only department that can handle my problem. And when I finally did get through they had no idea what was going on and assigned me a case number and said they’d be looking into it within 48 hours. Nothing so far…

At this point, I still have no explanation of where the fridge is, why it wasn’t delivered and who is responsible. The mysterious after sales department, where no human being actually appears to work, remains virtually unreachable and meanwhile we are fridgeless and out $800.

I would understand if the fridge of temporarily out of stock or if they had simply made a mistake and not loaded on the truck, but this is crazy!

We’re contacting IKEA to see if we can get anyone to sort this mess out, but this is a perfect illustration of why you should always be the one to sign for expensive, multi-item deliveries. If you see a box missing from the shipment, do not sign for the shipment until the problem has been resolved.

Comments

1. MutantMonkey says:

Chargeback and go buy a fridge from a company that wants your business.

• Lethe says:

I would imagine they paid for everything together. Can you do a chargeback for only part of a credit card charge?

• Charmander says:

Did you purchase all these delivery items from a store? If so, call the store you ordered them from and talk to the person who placed the order.

2. chucklebuck says:

There’s a guy several stories down that has an Electrolux fridge he’d probably give you for free.

3. TheMansfieldMauler says:

After sorting through all the boxes…

The boxes were the fridge. You have to put it together.

4. HalOfBorg says:

Are you sure that the contractor employee named “John Smith” doesn’t have a nice, new IKEA fridge that he got at an extremely good discount?

• StarKillerX says:

Maybe I’m paranoid but I would expect a round of finger pointing, between the delivery company and IKEA, if you ever actually talk to a person.

Also I would request the shipping company provide a letter stating that the fridge was never loaded on the truck, and thus never delivered, so as to avoid them changing their story later and claiming it was delivered, basically implying that one of the contractors took it.

5. Moniker Preferred says:

If the fridge is on the bill-of-lading, and the contractor signed for it, then IKEA is technically in the clear, and the contractor is holding the bag. If the complainant can get IKEA to admit they didn’t ship it (which is not fully clear from the post), then IKEA will probably make it good…eventually.

The salient part of this complaint is that the complainant did not attend a SCHEDULED delivery, leaving the responsibility for thousands of dollars worth of stuff up to a CONTRACTOR.

As Jeff Foxworthy says, “There’s your sign”.

• ovalseven says:

Bill Engvall

• Moniker Preferred says:

Yup. Bill Engvall.

I did see Foxworthy use the bit once, but it’s definitely Engvall’s creation.

• RandomLetters says:

They all swapped bits while on the stage at the end of one of the Blue Collar Tour movies. That’s probably what you are remembering.

• StarKillerX says:

Well I don’t think trusting them to sign for a delivery is anymore foolish then allowing the contractor access to the house without someone being there.

It could have been a new construction they weren’t living in, although the “couldn’t be home” line would imply they did in fact live there, so it’s hard to say for sure.

• Madapple says:

Bill Engvall is “Here’s your sign”
      Jeff Foxworthy is “You might be a redneck”

6. Hotscot says:

You talked to them on Monday and they say they’ll look into it in the following 48 hours?

Here’s a suggestion, wait until Thursday or Friday and send your story to The Consumerist.

7. CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Chargeback.

8. Clyde Barrow says:

To the OP; don’t turn this into a “behind the scenes maniputative tactic to keep you from getting a new fridge”. They won’t call you because they lost it.

9. ovalseven says:

How does this story not get passed on to Laura?

“IKEA Forgets To Load My New Fridge Onto Truck, Shrugs”

I say that with a sense of humor – not as a criticism. I love this site.

10. dush says:

Why would you buy a fridge that you have to put together yourself?

• Velkyr says:

It’s comments like this that make me sad that Consumerist doesn’t have an up/down system like reddit and many other sites. I would most certainly upvote this.

11. AllanG54 says:

Maybe their trucks get loaded by the clowns from Best Buy.

12. The Porkchop Express says:

why won’t the fridge take the calls?

• EllenRose says:

Just you wait until all appliances connect to the Internet. Then the refrigerator can refuse to take your call, cutting out the middlemen completely.

13. allifrank says:

Ikea USA corporate is in Conshohocken, PA next door to their store.

The top person is Ms Pernille Lopez

Corporate Phone is 610 834 0180

14. LightningUsagi says:

I might’ve missed something, but dispite the title of the article and what Chris’s text says, the OP says that he hasn’t found out what happened yet.

15. Jawaka says:

Ikea sells appliances? And people buy them?

I thought that they just sold furniture.

• mbz32190 says:

Yeah..not really sure why people would buy “IKEA Brand” appliances. Last I looked into them, they were just re-badged Whirlpool models. Not on either side of the OP here..just pointing out.

16. finbar says:
  17. rlmiller007 says:

The morale of the story is: Be home to take delivery of your goods. After reading consumerist why would you trust it to be correct? Also it seems the contractor may have opened himself to liabily when he signed for it.