Man Pushes Netflix Account To The Max, Watches 252 Movies In 30 Days

Are you a Netflix customer who feels like you don’t always get the most of your $7.99/month for unlimited streaming video? Well, one man decided to put Netflix and himself to the test by watching more than 400 hours of video in a month.

Mark Malkoff, who previously tested New Yorkers’ willingness to do anything for a free taxi ride and the limits of Apple store hospitality, started his Netflix movie-thon on April 16.

In the first week alone, he watched 60 films for a total of 95.55 hours. In fact, he says he didn’t leave his Queens apartment for a stretch of 155 hours that week, though he did manage to get Jason London, star of the Richard Linklater classic Dazed and Confused to pop by and provide running commentary on the film — and a shoulder rub.

By the halfway point of his endurance test, Malkoff had watched 117 films — a total of 189.4 hours — and had managed to get his per film cost down to $.068.

He did manage to slip out of the apartment, though he continued to watch movies on his iPhone and iPad. He even wrangled actor Andrew McCarthy to join him in the park for a viewing of St. Elmo’s Fire.

By the time Mark ended the 30-day experiment, he’d watched 252 films, including approximately 29.4 hours of closing credits.

He averaged more than 13 hours a day of movie watching for a total of 404.25 hours. More importantly, he only spent $.032/film.

Unfortunately, he says he also gained six pounds.

“Good thing there’s unlimited Netflix streaming,” Mark says. “Otherwise I would have had to subscribe to the 252 disc-at-a-time plan.”

Mark’s blog has the complete list of films, which starts out promising with The Graduate, Chinatown and Bonnie and Clyde but eventually begins to plumb the depths of Netflix’s streaming offerings like Battlefield Earth, Xanadu and Cop and a Half.

Comments

1. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

So how does this guy make money to support his lifestyle?

2. Straspey says:

There was a time when people used to do things like eat goldfish, or play tug-of-war with an elephant while holding the end of the rope with their teeth, in order to get people to pay attention to them…

It’s reassuring to see how far we’ve progressed as a society.

3. Extended-Warranty says:

Very informative story

4. CTrees says:

I blame the OP.

For… stuff.

5. IphtashuFitz says:

Wait until he gets the next bills from his internet provider and his cell phone provider. The overage charges will be staggering…

6. HRGirl wants a cookie says:

I love this guy! He wrote for the Colbert Report but has been doing random stuff like this for a while. A few years ago he lived in Ikea for a week. My best friend and I were walking through the store and heard “Lisa Loeb will be performing in the cafeteria in 15 minutes” over the loudspeaker. Malkoff apparently brought Ms. Loeb in to serenade his girlfriend.

Thanks, MM. Swedish Meatballs + quirky girl-pop = a great day.

7. chefboyardee says:

Lame. Get a freaking life, loser. Nobody is impressed, and in fact I’m sad for you and your shallow existence. Consumerist, stop giving these idiots press.

Also, people who do things like this are the reason for increases in prices lately. Like the idiot on Gawker who posted about how he “happily” tethers his Verizon phone and uses 100GB of data a month. YOU ARE THE REASON UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH IS DISAPPEARING, JERK.

• nopirates says:

^ HAHAHHHAHHA

funniest post of the day!

• samonela says:

Dey see me trollin’…dey hatin’!

• Mark702 says:

For the few “mega” users like him, there are 100’s if not 1000’s who use under 2GB a month, so it more than balances out. Your argument is invalid.

• shufflemoomin says:

I hope this is some sad attempt at trolling that I’m not getting, because there’s no way an idiot of this level could have made it far enough in life to be posting on the Internet.

• c_c says:

Someone is bitter that no one will pay them to do nothing but watch movies for a month.

8. atomix says:

For his sake I hope it’s fake, and that he just had his computer set to play these things back to back without anyone watching. Eek

9. KyBash says:

I was surprised to see a few classic movies in there. They were all well-known classics rather than obscure gems, but it’s still encouraging. Wish I’d known he was doing it — I’d have suggested some Kay Francis and Babs Stanwyck pre-codes.

10. fargle says:

He watched Battlefield Earth? Man, talk about a glutton for punishment. Worst. Movie. Ever.

• HalOfBorg says:

Worse than “Lost in Translation”? Worse than “Cannonball Run II”??

(they tie for worst to me)

• Velkyr says:

Were either of those written by an insane cult leader who’s books on living life people found credibile for some reason despite the fact he was a science fiction author who was quoted as saying “Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, the best way to do it would be start his own religion.” (As quoted in the Los Angeles Times (27 August 1978))?

• Mark702 says:

Ya, being a Scientology film makes it automatically total garbage. That said, I think “The Master” with Philip Seymour Hoffman looks like it’ll be good.

• Torchwood says:

There are worse movies than Battlefield Earth. I’ve seen them on Mystery Science Theater 3000. Check the list at http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom .

• hammond egger says:

You can take every movie ever shown on MST3K, adjust for inflation and they would still cost a fraction of the $70m+ it cost to make Battlefield Earth. Worst movie ever.

• nemesiscw says:

Ballistics: Ecks vs Sever. End of story.

• varro says:

#96. Gigli
      #97. Battlefield Earth
      #98. Xanadu
      #99. Cop and a Half
      #100. Indecent Proposal
      #101. The Last Airbender

I’m surprised he’s still alive – although he didn’t see Corky Romano – the movie that had Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy in pain when they saw it in Murphy’s book “A Year at the Movies” – they outlasted the teenagers who went to see it (it was on a school break), though.

• Papa Midnight says:

Indeed. When I saw the note that he’d watched Battlefield: Earth, I actually felt sorry for him :|

11. AllanG54 says:

Geez, Andrew McCarthy looks old.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

My first thought as well lol

12. florsie says:

Isn’t this the Idiot who lived on a Starbucks and on Wal-Mart for 24 hours?

13. shamowfski says:

I have a job.

14. sherrietee says:

Hey! Don’t knock Xanadu! Xanadu is awesome in its cheesiness.

• kelmeister says:

Xanadu is my all-time favorite movie, and I don’t care who knows it (hence this post) (abet under a fake name)

15. vliam says:

These marathons are much easier if you aren’t using streaming. With the disc, you can do time-compression with the subtitles on.

16. That guy. says:

Did he have a data cap? I wonder how many GBs he used.

17. macdude22 says:

Don’t dis Xanadu

18. EdK says:

No download cap on his internet?

19. Torchwood says:

Thumbs up on the following:

#65. Enter the Dragon
    #115. Shane
    #116. Two Mules for Sister Sara
    #159. Network
    #163. The Red Balloon
    #177. Dail M for Murder
    #178. The Lady Vanishes
    #218. The Gold Rush

And a why??? on the following:
    #144. The Garbage Pail Kids Movie
    #189. Anastasia (if this is the animated one)

20. Rick Sphinx says:

Take it he is un-employed. If so, he should spend more time looking for work, or some other avenue to support himself. The article writer (sorry for this), should have put this in the article. It’s so obvious, it’s the first thing I thought of and wanted to read about, as soon as I read the headline “how does he have this much time on his hands”.

21. somedaysomehow says:

I’m lucky if I can find TWO movies on Netflix streaming that I want to watch these days, much less 200!

22. corridor7f says:

I wonder how many showers he took during this…

23. Rashomon says:

#46 thru #52 was Buster Keaton day. Yes!
    On balance he watched more good films than bad ones.

24. RandomLetters says:

Wow, For 207 thru 215 he must have been really drunk or high.

25. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

So what do you want, a f*cking medal?

26. Kuri says:

He must be his ISP’s new favorite customer. I’d hate to see all the overage charges he’ll get.

• dwtomek says:

I feel bad for what seems to be the majority of commenters here. I haven’t had a data cap since I dropped dial-up. ISP’s really seem to hate that pesky infrastructure side of their business. Technology increases the throughput on your infrastructure past what it can handle? Solution: Raise rates, add customers, do not invest in infrastructure. That seems to be the industry standard anyways.

27. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

#196. The Lincoln Lawyer (no ‘s’)

Any movie where Ryan Phillippe gets the shit kicked out of him is okay by me.

28. Piddles says:

South Korean Crime Thrillers are fantastic for this objective.

29. wkm001 says:

How many gigabytes did he use on his Internet connection?