Another Non-Member With Costco Gift Card Encounters Resistance

It’s not a well-known trick, but we’ve written before about how it’s possible to shop at Costco without a membership as long as you have a member purchase a gift card for you. But maybe this loophole is closing. A few months ago, one reader reported being turned away at the door, even with the Cash Card in hand. Stephen reports that he was allowed to enter the store, but was told that he couldn’t make purchases without being a card-carrying member. They let him do it just this once. But allegedly never again.

A couple years ago, I had a friend buy me a Costco gift card because I thought I would shop there semi-frequently and could buy some snacks in bulk. I used the card on that first shopping trip and it has sat half-full since then. I decided I should go ahead and use it since it is essentially money sitting in my wallet. That friend has since moved out of town so I have no member to get me into Costco.

I learned on this site that the Cash Card can be used to purchase things at Costco, even if you are not a member. I checked the Costco website and it confirms this.

“Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Puerto Rico or on costco.com.”

I remembered a story a few weeks ago how someone with a Cash Card was not allowed to enter a Costco. I went to a Costco in [the Southeastern U.S.] this weekend and braced myself when I showed the card at the entrance. The employee checking cards said thank you and told me to enjoy my shopping trip. Good, it seems he was familiar with the publicly posted policy.

I got the items I wanted that totaled just slightly more than the card’s value so I could empty it out. I got in line and when it was my turn to check out, the cashier asked for my membership card and I said I didn’t need one and that the Cash Card would be sufficient. He said the computer needed a membership ID number and I countered with what the website said about the card. He called a supervisor over and the supervisor also said I needed a membership card and asked if I wanted to buy one. I said no, I just want to use the rest of the value on my card which your website says is allowed.

I also mentioned that I got into the store with no issues. He said the door employee must not have been paying attention (Cash Card is blue, membership cards are white or black. Seems hard to mix up.) He confirmed that the website does indeed say non-members can make purchases but that they are being pushed to always check for a membership and that the Cash Card method of shopping isn’t really allowed anymore. He said that the website needs to be changed and mumbled something about mentioning that in some meeting he would be having on Monday. He did some sort of override and I purchased my items which emptied my gift card.

I am happy they let me use the card this one time, but anyone currently shopping this way should be advised that your mileage may vary significantly.

RELATED:
Not Everyone At Costco Understands Secret Membership Avoidance Strategy
Shop At Costco Without a Membership

Comments

1. theblackdog says:

The door greeter might have thought you had the Costco Amex since it’s a blue-green color.

• Difdi says:

The Costco Amex is itself a Costco member card. My Mother uses hers that way all the time.

2. Jawaka says:

I don’t see the big deal. It’s a membership only store and people are whining that they’re not being allowed to shop there without a membership?

• Jawaka says:

Another point? Don’t they generally give out free 30 day memberships? I know that I get the offers in my mail all the time. Sign up for a trial account and then use your gift card. And if all else fails, use the card online.

• atomix says:

Or they could follow their published policy and let gift-card-holders enter the store and make purchases. Why should Costco be allowed to make you jump through hoops before they’ll give up the money they owe you?

• atomix says:

1. I sell you a gift card for, say, $100. “Come back anytime!” I say. “I’ll gladly give you $100 worth of stuff.”

2. You come back to me – “ohhhh, sorry. I can’t give you your stuff right now. But if you fill out this paperwork, and if you’re approved, you can spend it for the next 15 minutes. Better hurry!”

3. You object: “But wait! You said I could come back anytime! Your website says I can come back anytime!”

4. You drown in tears and irony, remembering the comments you’ve posted on this story.

• FatLynn says:

It would be nice if they made that more obvious to the people purchasing gift cards.

• daynight says:

What is obvious is that the policy allows gift cards to be given to anyone and that the recipient is allowed to use it. What is it that the purchaser needs to know? They are doing everything fine!

• Conformist138 says:

Yup. Whining because that is EXACTLY what the card clearly says is possible. If they wanted to argue this method of shopping, they need to change both the website and the cards themselves. I have one a friend bought me and it clearly says non-members can use it to shop and buy gas. Costco is welcome to make the changes needed to shut this down for future cash card purchases, but they can’t just ignore their own product descriptions.

• matlock expressway says:

If they want to close the loophole, they should close the loophole rather than pretend it doesn’t exist, and the local store should take it up with the parent corporation rather than the consumer.

Also, it is not a purely members-only store if they allow non-members to shop there under certain circumstances. “Members and non-members may use the cash cards to shop at any Costco location in the United States, Puerto Rico or on costco.com” does not leave much room for misinterpretation. If you don’t like it, take it up with the English language.

• JennQPublic says:

I’m sure they were only leaving the loophole open until significant numbers of people started abusing it- exactly the way the OP did. Now they will close it.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

• RandomHookup says:

Abusing it how? By shopping there?

• JennQPublic says:

“I had a friend buy me a Costco gift card because I thought I would shop there semi-frequently…”

He specifically had it purchased so he could get the benefits of shopping at Costco without having to pay a membership fee. That means every paying member is subsidizing his savings. Sounds like abusing the system to me.

• MMD says:

Following published policies is abusing the system? Really?

• matlock expressway says:

Following a corporation’s published rules in order to give them money, no less.

“Giving us money violates our policies” is all I’m hearing.

• Mark702 says:

I wanted to let you know, you are dumb, in case you didn’t know it already.

• Kuri says:

You just see criminals everywhere, don’t you?

• matlock expressway says:

I suspect that the occasional abuse is a price they’re willing to pay in order to have people shopping at their store–presuming, of course, that they want people who’ve been given gift cards to actually shop there. (Outlandish, I know.)

As well, defaulting to accusations of abuse isn’t exactly a good business model. There is a pretty sound reason for a business to always assume that a person is using a gift card honestly, even if (unbeknownst to them) they really aren’t. That reason is called “profit”.

If Costco is willing to scrap the entire gift card system due to a few bad eggs, they’re only shooting themselves in the foot, given the massive profit that gift cards generate (especially when they end up lost or unused).

Frankly, it would be hilarious if they cancelled a program that generates millions (if not billions) in extra revenue just to spite a few crooked customers. Hi-larious.

• matlock expressway says:

(Also, the gift card system could, in theory, generate far more profit per gift-card-recipient than the annual fee would, given a sufficient level of lost and unused cards.)

• heismanpat says:

And he shopped there twice over the course of a couple years. The only reason he went the 2nd time was because he still had a balance left on his gift card. Why don’t you RTFA and acquire some thinking skills while you’re at it?

And how do you envision anyone abusing this system? Most people aren’t going to put more than $50-$100 on a gift card. That will probably last you two trips at Costco. Even with the rare shopper who puts more money on a gift card, you’re basically giving an interest free loan to Costco. In no way would a gift card be a sustainable means of regularly shopping at Costco and avoiding the purchase of a membership.

Your logic completely fails on every level. Just give it up.

• heismanpat says:

Yea, using a gift card from a friend (who is a member) *twice* over a period of a couple years is totally abusing the system, especially when the rules for using the card clearly indicate this is acceptable. RTFA next time.

• Difdi says:

How exactly is spending money at a store, following the exact rules, guidelines and laws of both the state and the store, any kind of abuse of the store?

• j2.718ff says:

They sell gift cards. The very name implies that you can give them as a gift. I don’t know which of my friends are costco members, and which aren’t (or who are members, but won’t be renewing).

Costco should either:
      1. Not sell gift cards
      2. Require that gift cards be applied to a specific person (whose membership number can be looked up, and confirmed before the gift card is purchased)
      3. Allow non-members with gift cards to use the gift card.
      or
      4. Permit the exchange of a gift card for cash, thus providing any non-member with a gift card a way out.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

If someone buys you a gift at Costco and you have to return it, they will not exchange it. They give you a gift card whether you’re a member or not.

• MMD says:

The store is violating their own posted policy. That’s the big deal. It’s really not hard to see this as a problem if you RTFA.

• Jawaka says:

They’re also fully within their rights to change their policies if they want. Store policies aren’t laws and as far as I’m aware other than I think allowing returns I don’t believe that they’re legally bound to their policies.

• RandomHookup says:

So it’s okay to change the rules on something you sell without notice and after you’ve sold it to them?

Yes, their rules aren’t law, but they are bound by state consumer protection laws which prohibit changing the rules after the fact (in most cases) and certainly don’t let companies do what they want in a willy-nilly fashion.

• Jawaka says:

I’m not saying that I agree with the policy. Personally I think that allowing people with gift certificates to shop regardless of whether they have a membership or not would help bring in new members. But it’s not up to me (or any of us) to make decisions for the company.

• Telekinesis123 says:

When that card was bought it was bought under the terms active at that time promising the card can be cashed, so they are allowed to buy there, changing it after the fact is fraudulent misrepresentation and breech of contract. You could say “they can change the rules at any time” well for card carriers yes if they agreed to that stipulation, a giftee is not a member and therefore not a bound by the membership rules, only those rules agreed to at the purchase of the card.

People like you are seriously dangerous to consumers good honest folk everywhere, geesh.

• atomix says:

It’s getting harder and harder to distinguish the trolls from the morons.

• Kuri says:

And store policy can me changed by the employee who is on duty at the time? Or they may nto have read it, in which case ignorance of policy is now an excuse?

• MMD says:

Except that the policy that allows this is still on the website.

Again: RTFA!

• Difdi says:

Yes, and if they change their policy regarding gift cards, then they owe refunds for the funds remaining on the card. But I notice they’re not doing that…

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

I am a Costco member. They seem to have good deals and high quality stuff, but honestly I think the service at Sam’s club is friendlier.

I remember seeing the ability to use a cash card without membership being touted when I signed up as a way to let others gain the benefits of my membership. They require a membership to purchase the gift card and to be difficult about it’s use devalues the membership of the card purchaser.

3. weezedog says:

I’ll be damned if I pay a yearly fee just for the “privilege” of spending MY money at their store.

• Coffee says:

*throws fruit tarts at the troll*

Dance, my pretty! Dance!

• sufreak says:

Before you get so uppity about it, you may wonder why customers of Costco are so happy to do so. I’ve been a card carrying member since I’ve been in college.

The money I’ve saved on dog food alone has made the membership worth it in less than 3 months.

• Coffee says:

Pretty much…Kirkland dog food and Kirkland toilet paper = membership paid for.

• JennQPublic says:

And the things that cost the same as other discount grocery stores are usually much better quality. If I can’t save some money, I might as well get the most bang for my buck.

• theblackdog says:

Also, Costco gas == membership paid for.

Also, the little giant ladder I’m about to buy, $80 less than the same model at Home Depot. That just paid my membership again.

• JennQPublic says:

I just did some calculating, and I’ve paid for my Costco membership solely with the money I’ve saved on (good) beer in the last year.

Not sure if I’m bragging or confessing… :-/

• Charmander says:

Yep.

• ReaperRob says:

Peanut butter and gas savings more than make up my Sam’s Club membership.

• Costner says:

So what you’re saying is you aren’t a member? Thanks for letting us know. Now troll on.

• Conformist138 says:

No yearly fees that I know of. They are cash, plain and simple. No expiring, no fees. At least, that was my understanding when I decided to get one.

• weezedog says:

Sorry but I will in no way pay them to take my money. It’s the principal of the matter. I let my feet and my wallet to the talking, and I take my business elsewhere.

• sufreak says:

If you let your money do your talking, you’re not listening to it.
        If you spend $55/year, but you save more than $55, then you’re saving money.

I don’t have an economics degree, so can you explain to me further how spending less money in the end is a bad thing.

• RandomHookup says:

As long as you don’t end up buying 200 fish patties and throw out 150 because they went bad, it can be a pretty good deal overall.

• sufreak says:

I agree with you 100%. That argument isn’t exclusive to Costco, but anything. But your point stands.

Its a waste to buy perishables in bulk of you’re not consuming in bulk. Toilet paper stays for a long time nicely.

• RandomHookup says:

Costco (and the like) seems particularly good at getting folks to buy stuff in larger quantities than they could ever use in the name of ***!!!SAVINGS!!!***

• MMD says:

What do school administrators have to do with this?

(If you’re going to be so irrelevantly self-righteous, at least learn the difference between “principal” and “principle”.)

• bigTrue says:

Ok, let me break it down to you: I let CostCo have a 50 dollar free loan on my behalf by buying the 100 dollar membership. At the end of the year, I get a check that is no less than 50 dollars back (hence the interest free loan) but adds in a percentage of all my purchases (including gas) over the course of the year.

Now, lets look at the deals. I go camping, and I just got a brand new coleman 10 person tent for 50-75 dollars cheaper than amazon or other places the tent is available. They also sell four packs of Deep Woods Off for 13 bucks (1 bottle is between 5-8 dollars at drugs stores or department stores) as well as a similar price for coppertone spray on sunscreen. The sunscreen had a five dollar off coupon, limit three, so I got 12 bottles of sunscreen for 24 bucks.

Gas – I live off 8 mile in Detroit, and have one of the lowest independant gas stations at a nearby corner. CostCo is regularly either equal to that gas station, but beats namebrand stations in the vicinity by as much as 10 cents a gallon. Add in that I’m getting back a percentage at the end of the year, and you see.

Toilet paper and Papertowels, house brand, are cheaper than cheap brands at grocery stores or Target AND superior in quality.

I take friends whenever they want to go to CostCo, so that adds to my percentage back. I also paid a recent bill to my personal backyard mechanic with a new set of black chrome stanley tools. The set CostCo had was larger than the one on amazon and cheaper.

I get your “principle” but you’re basically cutting your nose off to spite your face. We’ll probably be getting between 75-100 dollars back in our yearly check, buying things we would have anyway. This means our membership will be at worst, 25 bucks out of pocket. If you add in the money I’m saving just on the above items and not even touching on the food (8 bucks for a giant tub of Fage Greek Yogurt, giant frozen strawberries for smoothies about half the cost of lesser quality ones from Kroger, etc) I’m getting paid to buy things I would end up spending more on elsewhere.

I know, math is hard for some people.

• who? says:

It’s a free country, you don’t have to have a membership. The last time I bought a car, however, I saved enough on the car to afford 20 years of membership fees. Pretty much every year, there’s some single item that I buy that I save at least double what my membership fee is. So I keep paying for the membership.

4. Coffee says:

For the record, there are different types of membership cards…mine is white and blue. That said, people who encounter this issue and are rebuffed should be calling corporate so that these stores can be “re-educated” on policy.

On a side note, I think that Costco has been in the process of tightening up some of its policies regarding memberships. Before about a year ago, I was able to use my ex-wife’s card when going to Costco (she was my wife at the time), and they were fine with it. They changed the policy at some point recently – or at least started enforcing it – and I wasn’t able to use her card because I wasn’t on the account, even though I was married to her (she was on her parents’ account). The OP’s experience could be just another example of this.

5. chemmy says:

Oh you mean like the time I tried to shop in a NY Costco with a gift card and they made someone from loss prevention come to the register to escort me out because I was “using it fradulently” since I wasn’t a member?

6. spartan says:

About 10 years ago I was passing the remote city of El Centro California and had to make an emergency tire purchase about 8 pm or so on a Friday. The national tire stores were either closed or couldn’t fo the mounting that evening and i found myself at Costco,

I asked if I could buy a tire as a non-member, and when they refused my options were either the buy the membership or find a motel and wait until the morning. So I bought the membership; which of course has a money-back guarantee. I should mention that I was a single guy in a studio apartment more than an hour from their nearest store. Certainly a membership made no long-term sense, I bought the tire and while they were installing it, I went inside and cancelled the membership.

The store manager came by to approve it and noticed it was less than an hour old. She approved the refund apologetically and told me, that they are empowered to let non-members hop there if circumstances warranted. However neither the tire or membership clerks seemed to know that.

7. frank64 says:

So, I have my Amex rewards certificate, but my membership expired. Does anyone know if I will have to pay the membership fee for the year in order to use it?

8. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yeah it was a big hassle for me one time when someone bought me a gift and it had to be returned to Costco because it was defective. I could not get an exchange. I had to get a cash card which I would then be allowed to use to buy the same thing again. Of course when I got to the register they had to call a manager over, and I had to show the 12 feet of receipt paper that proved I had just returned the same thing a few minutes earlier, and then he had to go over to the desk and make sure that was the case (I guess just in case I had somehow faked receipts with all the correct language and logos on them and with that specific date and time).

It was the biggest hassle I’ve ever had for a return where there was no argument about the returnability or functionality of the product.

9. Skeptic says:

So, what about those exceptions to the membership rule? I’d heard that in CA non-members can purchase liquor at costco. And that non-members are allowed to use the pharmacy? Is that still true?

Oh, and does consumerist ever try to do any reporting? You know, like asking Costco for a response rather than just posting un-verified complaints from random strangers? It isn’t like this is some small, personal blog where asking for corporate response would be presumptuous.

• frank64 says:

Any non-member can purchase alcohol and use the pharmacy, at least in MA. This is due to license rules. For liquor they have a separate entrance. You can get great prices there.

• JennQPublic says:

Same in CA, but an employee will escort you to the liquor section and then walk you to the register, and you have to pay cash.

• RandomHookup says:

That seems a bit excessive. You still have to check out, so why the extra security?

• Trojan69 says:

I’ve seen people say they are going to the pharmacy as a means to gain entrance. Of course, I see them at check-out with a buggy loaded to the gills with all manner of stuff, and no drugs. Sometimes the cashier insists on a manager override, other times, they shrugged and performed the transaction. Never were these weasels refused service to which they had no right.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

These weasels can get it with less hassle by abusing the membership satisfaction guarantee. Either way, they’re weasels who will eventually ruin it for the rest of us (Just entered my 2nd year of paid Costco membership)

• Skeptic says:

“Because membership fees are the profit margin. They sell everything for cost (all costs, labor inclusive). If folks get the belief that they can avoid the fees, the company will lose out on the bottom line.”

No, that is not true. Costco would go broke if its only profits were membership fees. Costco sells everything for a mark up. A small mark up compared to most retailers, but a mark up. The Membership fee is a barrier to entry. Among other things, it keeps out the people who will only make small purchases. It is much more efficient to sell a lot of stuff to one person–such as a small business owner or a mom of a big family–than to sell a lot of stuff to a lot of people.

• kelcema says:

ACTUALLY….. Costco runs their warehouses on a revenue-neutral basis. The warehouses bring in enough profit to pay for the operation (warehouse, office, COGS, etc). The membership fees, actually, is the Costco Annual Corporate Profit.

(From a guy I knew once, that I went on one date with, who’s a corporate buyer for them.)

• RandomHookup says:

But they just need to enforce their policies at the register. If the store falls prey to people who try to skirt the rules, it’s their own fault.

Heck, you can get a guest pass right at customer service. There’s nothing stopping me from loading up a cart except that Costco won’t sell it to me. Seems that making people going to liquor or pharma only as if they are unwanted isn’t a way to sell a membership.

• GrayMatter says:

But this IS a small, personal blog where asking for corporate response would be presumptuous. How else could we get our day’s supply of snark?

• omargosh says:

At my nearest Costco here in Houston, there is a separate “store” just for liquor, right next to the full big store, and I’ve made purchases there twice as a non-member without any problems (no asking to see my ID, no membership numbers requested, etc.). So, OP, cocktails?

10. agent888 says:

Does this work at Sam’s club?

• Emperor Norton I says:

Both Sam’s & Costco are required by state law to let anyone buy booze in Illinois.
      At the Evanston Sam’s, there is a large sign hanging over the booze area with that policy in writing.

• DonnieZ says:

As I understand it, non members can shop at Sams Club by getting a “guest pass.” You pay 10% higher prices though.

11. gglockner says:

At worst, you can use the cash card to buy gasoline. The pumps won’t care that you don’t have a membership card.

12. kent909 says:

A check just a few minutes ago indicates that you can give a gift card/cash card to clients, family members etc. This implies no membership is required. Well what do you expect from an American corporation? I am not in the least surprised that employees are inadequately trained or informed of company policy. So the Costco cash card is the 21st century fruit cake. Something that is totally worthless that you can give to your favorite aunt.

• cryptique says:

Evidently your family does fruitcakes wrong. Everybody knows they’re something totally useless that you receive from your least favorite aunt, not something you give to your favorite one.

Also: that’s why she’s your least favorite aunt.

13. Quake 'n' Shake says:

I received a Costco gift card as an “attaboy” from work some years ago. I recall having no issues with the staff despite not being a member at the time. I explained the situation to the door person, who had no problems letting me in. Then, I explained to the cashier, who got his manager, just to be certain. The guy wasn’t sure about the policy, so he promptly contacted his supervisor for clarification, as he should when he’s unsure.
    The manager had no problems. He even volunteered the information that that any non-member can buy booze from Costco, as state law prohibits limiting sale of alcohol to members only.

14. bubblegoose says:

“I said I didn’t need one and that the Cash Card would be sufficient” i

It sounds like he forgot to do the Jedi hand wave while saying that. This is not the membership card you are looking for…

15. celinesci says:

I encountered the same problem using a Cash Card at Costco. My mother bought me a gift that I had returned, and I got a Cash Card for an odd amount (something like $22.41). I was given a day pass to shop in the store. I purchased an item that was $29.99+ tax intending on using my debit card to pay the remainder, but the cashier insisted that I could only purchase something equal or lesser to the value of my cash card. After arguing with his supervisor and holding up the line, they reluctantly agreed to allow me to purchase my item.

• RandomHookup says:

They should have some published limits on what you can spend over and above the GC amount OR let you know that you can get the difference in cash.

16. libwitch says:

If the store manager had an override to allow the purchase to be made without a membership number, then its clearly still A-OK with corporate to allow nonmembers to shop there without a member present, no matter how much stores may want that to change.

17. JoeTheDragon says:

pharmacies operated by membership clubs, such as Costco and Sam’s Club, by law must allow non-members to use their pharmacy services and must charge the same prices as to members.

18. quieterhue says:

Someone with a membership purchased the gift card. As such, it is not fair to require the gift card holder to be a member. I think people forget, a gift card is not a form of tender–the store already has that money in hand and the shopper is essentially cashing in on goods that have previously been paid for. As such, it is completely wrong for Costco to require you to be a member in order to use a gift card. That’s like requiring two membership fees to be collected on a single purchase. Not ok. And furthermore, they should adhere to their own publicly posted policy with no hassle.

19. Shmoodog says:

Step 1. Sell gift-card to unsuspecting member of consumer republic.
    Step 2. Don’t let said consumer use gift-card at store
    Step 3. ????
    Step 4. Profit!

Seriously though, no one is angry that a company sells gift cards that can’t be redeemed unless you spend extra money on a membership? That seems to violate a certain amount of laws.

And if someone tried to push that on me, I’d ask where in writing it says I can’t use this gift-card. And if they DID show me that, well then, I’d pull up the Internet on my phone right there, find that statement that says I CAN use the gift-card, and then I’d threaten to sue for breach of contract. Let’s see a manager handle THAT one.

• RandomHookup says:

Heck, just skip Step 3…

• Auron says:

Apparently you’ve never seen the Gnomes episode of South Park. The gnomes business plan is simple:
        Phase 1: Collect underpants
        Phase 2: ?????
        Phase 3: Profit!!

That’s where that meme comes from. There has to be an unknown phase/step between the first part of the business plan and profit, implying that the way the profit is made is unknown.

• RandomHookup says:

I’ve seen this meme for years … but there’s an obvious profit without the ????.

20. unchainedmuse says:

I love Costco. It’s a MEMBERSHIP club. Even with a gift card, I believe it’s unreasonable to complain that you aren’t allowed shop there if you aren’t a member or with a member.

Costco has exceptional customer service and a really good item selection.

The person who gave him the gift card should have gotten him an actual *gift*.

21. Alan_Schezar says:

I had a similar problem with Cash Cards. I called Costco.com’s help line and asked if I could get the remaining value of my cash card in cash. The rep said ‘yes, no problem’. I go to the Costco store, and they say that getting cash back isn’t allowed. I called over the supervisor and the agreed to let me get cash back ‘this one time’. And I did have a membership.

In short, there is a lot of differences in policy between what is on Costco’s website and in store. In short, somebody high up isn’t doing their job.

• benh57 says:

If it has $10 or under left and you are in the state of California, it’s law that they must give you the balance in cash.

22. spamtasticus says:

You actually show the door guy a card? I just ignore them and walk in.