Workers Sue United Airlines, Alleging Racial Discrimination

United Airlines is being sued by 24 African-American employees, 22 captains and two operations supervisors, who filed suit on Tuesday claiming that the company discriminated against them because of their race. The complaint alleges that United’s policies worked against them when it came to getting promotions.

The Chicago Tribune reports on the lawsuit, which was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.

“The company’s employment policies involve uncontrolled subjective criteria that are applied in an arbitrary manner, further promoting racial biases and stereotypes to the detriment of many extremely qualified management candidates,” one plaintiff, a captain, said separately in a statement.

United responded with its own statement on the matter: “United does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind. We believe this lawsuit is without merit and will vigorously defend ourselves.”

The plaintiffs claim they have been illegally passed over for promotions since 2009.

Suit alleges racial discrimination by United Airlines [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Does a company ever say they will defend themselves hlf-heartedly?

2. Blueskylaw says:

“Workers Sue United Airlines, Alleging Racial Discrimination”

United Airlines settles suit by offering affected workers guaranteed Lifetime Premier Executive status for life and a one-time award of three system-wide upgrades.*

*Subject to terms and conditions and space availability – additional fees may apply

• Auron says:

*Plan may be altered or discontinued at United’s discretion, with or without notice.

• Blueskylaw says:

*Court ordered lifetime compensation subject to change at our discretion and may be subject
        to additional fees and or charges including an “indecision is the key to flexibility” fee.

3. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Honestly, sometimes I believe I get promotions BECAUSE I’m black. There’s always talk about how “black people don’t normally stick around with us for whatever, but you are amazing! Here, take this 20% raise!” It’s happened to me at both of my jobs. Now they’re playing tug-of-war of who gets more of my attention.
    #Winning, but I wish I could duplicate myself. :(

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

for whatever reason.*****

I fixed that for myself.

• Jane_Gage says:

You’re probably living in the square states in the middle. Here in Philly black people are the majority, there’s only two other white people where I work. I believe it’s the same in Baltimore.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I live in a #Florida college town where black is not the majority.

• FatLynn says:

Probably, you are doing an awesome job, regardless of color.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I’s just a workin, massah.

• Jawaka says:

But they specifically mentioned his color.

• JennQPublic says:

Oh, come on. It’s bad enough that when black people say they are treated poorly due to race, they aren’t believed. But if they say they are treated well because of their race… They still aren’t believed!?

Someday, I hope white people realize that black people aren’t all stupid and/or liars. Racial prejudice still plays a huge part in the lives of people of color, no matter how badly we want to stick our fingers in our ears and whistle whenever they talk about it.

• frodolives35 says:

You are a victim of racism.

4. Martha Gail says:

I would really like to know the criteria that is allegedly racist.

5. ARP says:

I don’t like the seniority systems that unions have, but in this case, it seems that it would discourage discrimination. Your seniority, pay, benefits, etc. is based on how long you’re there…and nothing else. I guess if they were applying for management roles, that wouldn’t apply.

6. dush says:

How dare those black employees harrass and discriminate against United for their poor employment policies. United will not tolerate it!

7. DrLumen says:

I wonder what kind of promotions they expect after filing suit and, if there is discrimination, do they really think things will be any better or different after all the trials are finished?

When are promotions NOT subjective or arbitrary? I have been passed over due to nepotism. Would that be considered discrimination?

• Peggee has pearls and will clutch them when cashiers ask "YOU GOT A WIC CHECK MA'AM?" says:

I agree. Everyone’s having trouble getting promoted these days. It’s possible that these plaintiffs have seen less qualified people get promoted repeatedly and assume it’s racially motivated, but it happens everywhere when race isn’t even an issue. Heck, I got passed over once because I was the only one who could be trusted to run my department alone on lean budget days, and promoting me to management would leave them hanging. It sucks and it’s not fair, but it wasn’t because I’m a woman or because of my ethnicity.