Please Stop Peeing In Public Pools So We Can All Enjoy A Summer Swim

When I was young, my friend’s grandfather had a pool with a sign that read, “Welcome to our ool. Notice there is no P in it. Please keep it that way.” Maybe more pools could use such a sign, as a new survey says one in five adults takes a tinkle in public waters. Grody!

The Water Quality & Health Council’s survey results shows that many of us will relieve our bladders in the relative cover of water. But you shouldn’t, obviously. Because it’s gross.

“No matter how easy it is to pee anonymously in the pool, swimmers should avoid doing so and take their children on frequent bathroom breaks,” Dr. Chris Wiant, chair of the Water Quality & Health Council, said in a press release, via CBS Cleveland. “Pool operators should also monitor and maintain proper pool water chemistry, especially pH and chlorine levels, which (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) calls ‘the first defense against germs that can make swimmers sick.’”

In another icky finding, the study found that almost 70% of people don’t shower or rinse off before swimming, which in effect, makes the entire pool your bathtub. You shouldn’t treat the pool as your means of bathing, said Wiant. No one wants to be swimming in your sweat, deodorant, makeup, etc. All those irritants can mix with chlorine and get in your eyes, causing them to get all red and unhappy.

So please, think of the “Welcome to our ool” sign next time you take a dip. For all our sakes.

Better Wear Your Goggles: Survey Finds 1 In 5 Adults Pee In Pool [CBS Cleveland]

Comments

1. zibby says:

Yeah, good luck.

• papastevez says:

Try telling a serious swimmer to get out of practice just to pee… they’ll laugh and tell you to relax. Thats a lot less gross than what the serious cross country runners do. They don’t hesitate to pee on themselves while running longer races.

• LMA says:

No, that’s *less* gross, because they’re peeing *on themselves* as opposed to in the water that surrounds a whole bunch of other swimmers whose faces and mouths are in it!

• FredKlein says:

Meh. What’s the W.C. Fields quote? “I never drink water. Fish F*ck in it.”

Every molecule of water you drink (or eat- a good amount of fluid intake is actually through food) has been peed out of some animal sometime. Every molecule of air you breathe has been in someone elses lungs.

Is it ‘nasty’ to pee in a pool? Sure. But it happens- that’s (one reason) why they use chlorine.

• FredKlein says:

Meh. What’s the W.C. Fields quote? “I never drink water. Fish F*ck in it.”

2. Taed says:

I’d prefer to swim in an “L”, one without “P” or “POO”.

3. The Colonel says:

What’s next . . . we can’t pee in the shower either???

4. mavrick67 says:

“. . . a new survey says one in five adults takes a tinkle in public waters” and probably another 2 out of 5 do it and won’t admit to it on a survey.

• Coffee says:

A new survey shows that 1 in 5 adults pees in the public pool and 4 in 5 adults are filthy liars.

• Costner says:

Thanks for admitting you pee in the pool. I honestly haven’t done that since I was around 12 years old – although I will admit I have while swimming in a lake several years back. In the pool I don’t because the thought of swimming in my own pee is less than appealing not to mention the collective pee of everyone else.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I don’t pee in pools. A couple of years ago, I basically stopped going in at all b/c I don’t want to swim in other people’s filth and piss.

• MutantMonkey says:

The other two just fart in the water.

5. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

The only thing that will change this is if scientists really do develop a chemical that turns red on contact with urine, or if enough people can be convinced that such a fictional dye exists and is used in the city pool.

• TrustAvidity says:

The issue with this would be the pranks people would play. Let’s release a tiny capsule in a busy pool and empty it on a hot day! Either that or a tiny trace by a single person would freak everyone out and no one would ever swim.

• PBallRaven says:

Yeah, like the reservoir that had (tens?, hundreds?) of thousands of gallons pumped out because someone reported that someone peed in it.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

What we need is a secret conspiracy to make people believe such a thing exists. An agent can selflessly go into a pool with a few dye capsules in his pocket and break them, done very early in the pool’s opening. Then the lifeguards can tell everyone to evacuate the pool on the count of urine. Then they could even stage the agent getting arrested.

That will send the message and pools will be true urine free as folks are afraid.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Hmmm… Red dye? What about women who don’t pee but happen to have their periods in the pool? :P

• BooCackles says:

I knew someone who used to swim during her period and not use a tampon- gross! I get the blood was diluted and the chlorine killed germs, but I still squeam about it. Our school gave girls the option of walking around the pool if it was that time or they could use tampons- I really wish this girl would have done either one of those…

• Sorta Kinda Lucky Soul says:

There is an additive that will do this, but it’s prone to many false positives — plus there’s the issue of removing the colorant once wee is (maybe) detected. However, signs to the effect that this stuff is in the water would be more of a deterrent (who wants to be the one to test it….).

• A.Mercer says:

To make something like this you need to find a chemical that is in urine but not sweat that will react with another chemical to that causes a chemical reaction resulting in a red (or other color) to show up. This additive also needs to be non-toxic, very stable, cheap, available in large quantities, non-carcinogenic, safe for then environment, and a ton of other things. Lets say you find one that fits the bill but also reacts with sweat. Then your pool will eventually turn the color because of all of the people in the pool and the sweat they are introducing. You will not be able to find something that fits all of the criteria. This is something dreamed up by people who do not understand chemistry. On paper it sounds good but actually trying to create it is impossible.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I don’t think any adult seriously thinks it’s possible or at all plausible. I imagine most kids figure out the “red dye” threat by the time they’re 12.

• spamtasticus says:

Thank you but I prefer a little urine in my swimming pool than yet another freaking chemical:

Urine will do absolutely nothing to you in a pool so everyone should just get over it. I would be much more concerned with the rat and roach feces you are consuming in processed foods than this story.

• orion70 says:

It’s nice that you’re willing to believe that everyone in the pool is a perfectly healthy individual and their urine is always always harmless.

• MajorGroove says:

Does anyone else remember that episode of Pete and Pete on Nickelodeon, where Pete’s brother, Pete, obtained a substance that turned green when it contacted urine in order to ferret out the person who peed in the public pool? It was the pool manager, if I recall correctly. Anyway, I never, ever peed in a pool as a child because I firmly believed that said substance existed, and that I would be immediately shamed by a cloud of green if I were to do so. And I don’t do it now because it’s gross.

Peeing in the ocean though? Fair game!!!

6. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

A smoking section in a restaurant is like a peeing section in a pool.

• baltimoron says:

No, it’s not like that at all.

• DarthCoven says:

Without a properly designed HVAC system, yes it is exactly like that.

• iesika says:

Except it really, really is.

• dangermike says:

I kind of agree, mostly because both urine in a pool and second-hand smoke are completely overblown and brow-beaten subjects.

What little pathogenic material might be present in urine will be both incredibly dilute and rapidly sterilized by the bleach (yes, bleach. It’s not chlorine. It’s sodium hypochlorite) in a pool. Just as whatever carcinogenic agents in cigarette smoke are very unlikely to cause significant damage to anyone not puffing on the business end or any damage to anyone more than a few feet away.

Don’t get me wrong. Both smoking where people eat and treating a pool like a restroom are gross and impolite and should be shunned. But realistically, the threat to public is so miniscule it need not even enter the discussion.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Tell that to my lungs when I have an asthma attack from passing someone outside who is smoking. I go around people if I notice, but I don’t always see it until I’ve passed it, inhaled it, and started the asthma attack.

• Kuri says:

Bad part is, and I have seen this first hand with my mom, the offender then acts like YOU did something wrong.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Then they are an asshole. When I smoked I tried to keep it away from other people and didn’t even smoke in my own house/car.

• orion70 says:

While it’s probably far fetched to think anyone would go to a pool in such a condition, there are other things that can pass via urine that bleach wouldn’t not in the least have an effect on. Chemo meds pass through urine and other bodily waste and you’re supposed to treat stuff like that with great care if you have to dispose of it.

• piror says:

Disagree on the smoking front, I feel like crap for a long time after sitting in close proximity to a smoker for long enough.

Pissing in a pool though? I don’t see how there’s a risk there unless the person is infected.

• Doubting thomas says:

You’re right. The chlorine in the pool keeps you relatively safe from the urine. The nasty 2nd smoke is giving everyone in the restaurant cancer.

7. Marlin says:

Yea cause rinseing off before swimming will so easly remove deodorant, makeup, etc…

/rolleyes

• crispyduck13 says:

I want to know who puts on makeup and deoderant for a trip to the pool. Ladies, you’re doing it wrong.

• VintageLydia says:

A lot of the time, you’re going to the pool in the afternoon after doing other things (like work!) so it makes since. I wash my face so I can put on sunscreen but I can see how some women may forget.

• carlogesualdo says:

You underestimate 13 year olds.

8. RipCanO'Flarp. says:

I used to manage a public pool and as long as you keep the chemistry good it doesn’t matter what goes into the pool. Feces is one thing- that closed us down and we had to shock the pool. But as long as you aren’t sick pee is sterile. Sweat and skin cells effect pool chemistry more than anything else. Soooo HAPPY SWIMMING!!

• balthisar says:

I came to mention the same thing about pee, and to point out that one doesn’t stop sweating just because you’re in the pool.

• iesika says:

This. People sweat enough while swimming that they can severely dehydrate themselves, if they’re active enough. I used to see swim-team kids do it all the time.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Pee is not sterile once it leaves your body. Yes, pee is sterile when it’s inside you. It cannot hurt you while it’s in your bladder, and that’s the definition of sterile. However, it is impossible for expelled pee to be sterile because when it leaves your body it contacts all kinds of contaminants, including those in/around the urethra and urethral opening.

Yet another urban legend and/or convenient unresearched excuse for bad behavior.

• Kate says:

While you are in the pool, your body parts are immersed in chlorinated water so they are just as contaminated as that is.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

The inside of your urethra is full of bacteria and is not in contact with chlorinated water. A lot of that stuff gets flushed out.

I’m not saying it’s all that bad, and yes the chlorine does make it much less awful, but the urban legend that “urine is sterile” is the issue I was highlighting. Urine outside the body is absolutely not sterile.

• rmorin says:

Damn near nothing is completely sterile. Bacteria on the lining of the urethra is not intrinsically worse then the bacteria in your arm pit, in your nose, or any other body part that is already being exposed by swimming in a pool.

So yes you are correct that urine is not completely sterile, but you are wrong to insinuate it is any different or dangerous compared to other parts of the body.

• MrEvil says:

There are bacteria all over every square inch of your epidermis. Some are harmless, and some are actually there for your benefit. Not all bacteria are bad. Unless you have a urinary tract infection (and you’d know it if you did) whatever bacteria happen to be living in your pee hole probably are just as harmless to everyone else as they are to you.

This whole brainwashing of “bacteria = bad” is what has lead to diseases like MRSA. The desire to be 100% sterile 100% of the time is believed to contribute to severe allergic reactions in children.

Not all microbes are harmful to you if your immune system is functioning properly.

• castlecraver says:

That’s not the definition of sterile, not at all. Sterility is the absence of any live or transmissible microbiota (usually including prions) and implies nothing about harmlessness. And pee in your bladder can indeed hurt you; see urinary retention, vesicoureteral reflux, etc.

• MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

I don’t care whether it’s sterile or not. It’s gross, and I don’t want to swim in your pee.

• crispyduck13 says:

“But as long as you aren’t sick pee is sterile.”

So since you’re no longer managing a public pool what is it that you fill your days with now? I’m asking so I can avoid that business/industry like the fucking plague.

• mackjaz says:

I think maybe you’re overreacting… see Rachaca’s post above.

• crispyduck13 says:

I think you’re missing what I was reacting to. Hint: it doesn’t have anything to do with how much pee is in a pool.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Are you referring to the glaring run-on sentence?

“Feces is one thing- that closed us down and we had to shock the pool.”

• chefboyardee says:

well whatever you’re talking about doesn’t make sense, his/her point makes perfect sense and anyone who uses their brain for more than “EWW ICKY” reactions would agree. pee is sterile and the tiny, tiny amount diluted in a giant pool filled with chlorine doesn’t matter at all.

ripcan, i would gladly come visit your new business.

• BlueHighlighterNextToACoozie says:

I can believe pee is sterile, never heard of R Kelly getting sick or nothing.

• Rachacha says:

Add to the fact the volume of pool water compared with urine. An average backyard pool is 15,000 – 30,000 gallons, and assuming an average tinkle is 12 oz or less ( adults and kids) even if you had 10 people in the pool and they all urinated, You are still at less than 1 gallon of urine In a pool with over 15,000 gallons. Watching hot the underwater currents in my pool disperse chemicals, the only person who is likely contaminated with urine is the one that is urinating in the pool.

• majortom1981 says:

At our development the law states they have to check every half our. ON memorial day with all the people the pool pretty much had to be closed every hour because the levels were off.

• orion70 says:

“as long as you aren’t sick”

This is making the assumption that people a) actually are aware they are sick and therefore avoid swimming, and b)that people who know they are sick will still have the sense to stay out of the pool.

9. crispyduck13 says:

Nice going posting this precisely at noon MBQ, you really want my Gawker diet extending over here to Consumerist don’t you?

10. SamEBates says:

My mom always told us there were chemicals in the water that changed colors if you peed in the pool. We swam in terror. I probably couldn’t even force myself to do it, it’s just ingrained in my mind.

11. j2.718ff says:

” one in five adults takes a tinkle in public waters”

Public waters isn’t necessarily limited to pools. Peeing in the ocean and peeing in a pool are two very different things.

12. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Pools should also keep a public bathroom nearby, preferably not having to go inside to get to it.

Otherwise you’re just asking for it.

• Kuri says:

The one at the trailer park I lived in had that and people still pissed in the pool as far as I was aware.

It didn’t stop someone from crapping in it and shutting it down during the hottest week of that year….

13. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

You mean, you expect people to have basic respect for other people? Things like not peeing in the pool, not littering, not using their neighbor’s lawn for their dog to crap on?

What color is the sky in your world? Are there flying unicorns that drop little bags of gold on your head there?

It’s people like this that make me root for the asteroids to hit Earth, and not just ‘near-miss’.

14. Joesph Mama says:

Most hotels dont even have pools any more. Problem solved.

15. Scoobatz says:

But, it’s still OK to pee in the ocean, right?

16. regis-s says:

As gross as that is, isn’t that what the chemicals are for?

People have no problem swimming in lakes, rivers, and oceans. You know what fish do in there.

17. axolotl says:

Only 1 in 5?
    I don’t buy it.

18. sirwired says:

Really, it’s poop that’s the real problem, and can get people sick. Unless you are currently suffering from a Urinary Tract Infection, urine is quite sterile. It contains water, urea (which breaks down into ammonia), and whatever salts your body needs to get rid of today (mostly sodium and potassium chloride, excess water-soluable vitamins, and some random trace stuff that can be smelled, but isn’t particularly toxic and won’t be noticed in a pool.

You don’t want to drink large quantities of urine (it’ll eventually kill you from the urea buildup), but it doesn’t call for a chlorine shock or closing the pool.

All that said, it’s still pretty gross.

19. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Should be mandatory for all pool users to wear diapers – not just the toddlers.

• Ophelia says:

You do know that swim diapers (for babies and toddlers) only hold in feces, right? They aren’t leak proof and aren’t meant to hold in urine.

If there are babies/toddlers in the pool, there is likely pee in it. Period.

20. crispyduck13 says:

“…as a new survey says one in five adults takes a tinkle in public waters.”

Just further proof that 25% of the US population is mentally deficient. Good to know that a small percentage of those people won’t admit to peeing in a pool.

• 401k says:

1 in 5 is 20%. Which group did you think you were in?

• crispyduck13 says:

“Good to know that a small percentage of those people won’t admit to peeing in a pool.”

Reading is fundamental.

• 401k says:

“…as a new survey says one in five adults takes a tinkle in public waters.”

–So 4 out of 5 people won’t admit to peeing in a pool, and 1 would. If the person with a “mental deficiency” is the 1 in 5, they are part of 20%. Where did you come up with 25%? Reading is fundamental. Math is too.

21. axolotl says:

What’s the big deal anyway? Ever swam in a lake? It’s full of animal feces, decomposing fish, dead (and live) algae, all sorts of bacteria, etc..
    At least urine is generally sterile.

• Onesnap says:

the lake I swim in is wicked clean. It’s in Maine so I throw the ‘wicked’ in there. For real though, they test the water on a regular basis (lake association we all pay for)

22. ChuckECheese says:

In recent years pools have begun relaxing the “no non-potty-trained children in the pool.” I see babies in toddlers in pools frequently now, and a couple weeks ago, my local YMCA lap pool had to close for the evening after a toddler took a dump in it.

• iesika says:

I don’t mind non-potty trained kids in the pool if they’re wearing swimming diapers. It’s the barely-trained ones that probably make the most messes, anyway.

• eezy-peezy says:

I sometimes swim in a semi-public (apt. complex) pool – EVERY time I swim when there are little kids in there, I get sick (GI problems) the next day. Now if they come in, I leave. And I avoid it at times when there are lots of kids around.

If the swim diapers get wet, that means feces particles can get out.

• Kuri says:

Seems like they need to set a minimum then, but of course most parents would lie about it.

23. axolotl says:

I feel bad for any doctor who draws the short straw and has to give a press release (??) telling everyone to not pee in the pool.

24. Rachacha says:

As the owner of a backyard pool, the biggest offender above deodorant, makeup and hair products is sunscreen. You spray your body down with sunscreen and wait several minutes for it to dry, walk in the pool, and as you do, a cloud begins emitting from your body.

• silenthands says:

I came here to say this. Indoor pools don’t have this problem as much since… indoor = no need for sunscreen. But outdoor pools are pretty much screwed where it comes to that. Even the “Waterproof/water resistant” ones come off as you described. Not many solutions… a: shade/cover pools so you’re less likely to sunburn, b: build only indoor pools, c: ban sunscreen and make people get out to cool down before they get sunburns, d: charge people more for the extra chemicals required to get rid of the sunscreen contaminants. C would never work. People would stay in and then scream and yell about getting sunburns. D, people would scream and yell because they have to PAY MORE and it’s JUST WATER OMG. A and B become iffy because people want to lay out in the sun and bake themselves into leather strips. The overall take-home message is that people suck and have no sense of personal responsibility or consideration for others. (This applies to home pools too. Put up shade, go light on the sunscreen, go inside before you turn into a lobster, etc)

• MrEvil says:

Sunburns have nothing to do with temperature, so cooling down won’t do anything. Sunburns are a result of exposure to UV radiation. The reason a sunburn is hot to the touch is that your body has dilated your capillaries increasing blood flow to the burn to aid in healing. You can get a sunburn on a cloudy day, and at below freezing temperatures.

The reason that sunburns incorrectly correlate with warm weather are due to the fact that people cover up more during cold weather. Clothing protects skin from sunburn.

• Rachacha says:

tell me about it. When I was a wee young lad, I was at the beach in April and the temperature was only in the mid 50s and overcast. I took my shoes off, and by the end of the day had probably the worst sunburn I have ever had.

• silenthands says:

I acknowledge your point. I wrote my original comment badly. When I said ‘get out before you sunburn’ I was thinking, “get out and go inside” which would cut down on the exposure. For some reason I didn’t actually write the “go inside” part, which screwed up my original suggestion.

• shepd says:

c) doesn’t work either as there are plenty of people (my redhead wife!) who will burn with less than 5 minutes exposure to strong sun (I’ve seen it), after which an extended period (say, 1 day) is needed to prevent burning again.

Nobody is going to pay good money to be in a pool for 5 minutes (especially if they can’t pee in it :-P ).

25. JJFIII says:

This is fear mongering. Swimming a pool that is 90% urine would be relatively safe. If every single person who visited a pool every day peed in that pool the level of urine in it would be miniscule. Urine is not dangerous to touch. There are far worse things that people have on their bodies from the air around them. Oh, if it is an outdoor pool, remember that birds poops in them. The filters and chemicals in a pool are designed to take care of that. If you are that afraid of having a little piss on you, stay home.

• crispyduck13 says:

Personally I think the bigger issue is that grown adults are conciously peeing in a fucking public swimming pool. What the hell is wrong with people?

• JJFIII says:

Why is that an issue? You do realize that when you pee in a toilet the water is filtered and goes into lakes and streams, which then is put into the drinking supply again. Not an issue. If you live in a place with wells and septics, and a dog pees int he yard where do you think the pee goes to?

• crispyduck13 says:

“I will gladly pee in my pool, and if you do not like it, too bad. Don’t go swimming in public.”

One of these things is not like the other. Also, there is a reply button for this sort of arguing.

• frankrizzo:You're locked up in here with me. says:

How long do you imagine it takes for the dog’s urine to leach into the aquifer?

26. foodfeed says:

A trainer at a local rehab pool gave a PCA friend a hard time when she cancelled a session with 24hrs notice for a teenage girl. He wrote her a rant about the pool trying to not be too far in the red this year. It was hard for my friend not to reply about how the pool would have been red if they had showed up.

27. SJPadbury says:

“a new survey says one in five adults takes a tinkle in public waters”

In related news, four out of five adults are probably lying.

28. daemonaquila says:

Really, more fearmongering? Dear gods, let’s not have anyone go in a river or a lake, then! Fish and ducks and turtles pee and crap in there! Oh, the humanity!

A properly kept pool, using modern filtration and the right mix of chemicals, has no problem handling a little pee or sunscreen or sweat. If the water isn’t good, it’s due to poor maintenance, or the management allowing way more people in the water than the system is meant to handle.

Incidentally, pee is sterile. No big deal. Feces? Yes, that’s more of a problem. Keep your kids out of the water until they’re potty trained.

29. RolloTomasi says:

A brief lesson in how water works:
    A pool is a (relatively speaking) massive body of water. Anything you put into it (urine, sweat, cologne, whatever) is almost instantly dissipated and ends up very quickly being of such a low concentration as to be totally insignificant.
    Plus, pools have massive amounts of chemicals in them to keep them clean.
    Plus, pools have a filter system that cleans every drop of water once every 12-24 hours.
    Plus, pools are downright sterile compared to lakes, streams, or the ocean.
    Plus, plus, plus.

This article is ridiculous. As are people who complain about how “gross” it is to not rinse off before swimming in a the bleachy bleachwater of any well-maintained pool.

30. digitalgimpus says:

Of all the things to be concerned about, urine is the least of it. It’s sterile and in tiny amounts.

Body oils, blood, semen, feces (did you wipe well enough? betting most don’t) are much bigger concerns. Not to mention saliva and snot. Those can transmit germs.

Urine may sound gross, but it’s the most benign of all.

I’m personally much more concerned with all the cosmetics and lotions people swim with. Think of all the chemicals you’re surrounding yourself in, and getting in your eyes/mouth (if you happen to swallow water). That’s way worse. And here’s a gross factoid: fat people need more lotions/sunscreen to cover their extra surface area. So fatter people get, the more of this ends up in the pool.

If you’re more concerned about sterile urine than the chemical and bacterial bath you’re swimming in, you’re nuts.

31. Evil Closet Monkey says:

Other comments have pointed out the idiocy of fearing a little urine in a properly maintained public pool. I would also point out that you do sweat while swimming as well, further reducing some of the arguments of this article. Swimming is actually a really good way to sweat… you just don’t realize you are, until you realize you’re thirsty and dehydrated.

32. rookie says:

One of the many jobs I have is pool attendant for our association.
    I can confidently tell you without a shred of doubt that nobody has ever, EVER, peed in my pool.

I am also a real estate agent, and I have a wonderful bridge, slightly used, for sale…

33. 12-inch Idongivafuck Sandwich says:

At our friends house/pool they have the following basic policy: first pee must be done in the bathroom (or the yard, whatever), after that you’ve been drinking enough booze that the pee is going to be basically water and harmless (and clear! – no vitamins or whatever built up in your pee at that point).

Pretty easy rule to follow.

I pee in my own pool though, but it’s my pool, so whatever.

34. Not Given says:

I had a friend with a little girl, her first child. She would start the bath water and put the girl in the tub, who would stand there until the water was turned off and her mother made her sit down so she could be washed. Naturally the child peed in the tub while she was standing there with the water running, every single time. My friend would take the child out of the tub, drain the water, clean the tub, then start filling it again. She said she was getting exasperated and didn’t know what to do. I told her to sit the child in the tub so she wouldn’t see her peeing.

35. RayanneGraff says:

And this is why I don’t go to public pools. I don’t even wanna think about how much pee I swam in as a child when my mom used to take me to the pool every day all summer long >.

36. magnetic says:

I never considered that people would do this until my late twenties. I mean, why why why?

37. OttersArePlentiful says:

This is why I never go to pools. Last year while kayaking with my husband, I told him we had to pull over so I could go ashore and pee. We were in a self-bailing, inflatable kayak (it sucked), so water was continuously coming in and going out. My husband looked at me and said, “Seriously? You’re sitting waist-deep in the river. Just go in your pants.” I made him pull over anyways. Yes, my pants were already wet, but I still couldn’t bear the thought of peeing in them.

38. Onesnap says:

I enjoy swimming in a lake or ocean. With the fish turds.

And seabird turds.

A former gym buddy asked me why I don’t use the outdoor pool at the gym. I never had a good answer for her. I just told her I preferred to swim in fresh water. I should have elaborated the “fresh”

39. papastevez says:

In other news a new study shows that 9 out of 10 members of the swim team pee in the pool. Seriously though, every single person you’ve ever seen on an olympic swim team pees in the pool. You dont think they get out of a 2-3 hour practice just to pee do you?

• TheRealDeal says:

Not quite. I swam competitively for many years and I never peed in the pool. When you’re working at that level, your body is going to try to hold onto any and all hydration anyway, so you’re far less likely to have to go to the bathroom.

40. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Yes because all the other nasty stuff that comes out of people is perfectly okay. A little smegma, veejay discharge, fumunda cheese, sphincter crust, pubic hair, puss, scabs, etc. shouldn’t deter you from taking a big gulp of that public bath water.

Hey everybody, let’s go swimming!

• Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Yes I know it’s pus. I already had puss covered.

41. jennix says:

I amuses me to think about what these germ-ophobes think about swimming in ponds, lakes, creeks or oceans.

WC Fields once said, “I don’t drink water. Fish fornicate in it.”

42. LanMan04 says:

———–
    Yeah, one that’s full of bleach. Works for me.

43. Nobby says:

I’m sorry but the thought of the juices from all those asses, balls, minges, scalps, pits, and feet in the same container grosses me out.

44. human_shield says:

Urine might be gross but it is unlikely to make you sick. The real killer is feces. An astonishing high percentage of people (adults mostly) do not properly wipe themselves using the bathroom. So all that feces leaches into the pool water. That pre-swim shower doesn’t help. Better hope the chlorine level is high. Happy swimming!

45. Kuri says:

A properly maintained pool has multiple chemicals keeping it clean and a powerful filtration system, I ain’t worried about a little urine.

46. corridor7f says:

I don’t swim in public pools for this reason.

47. Syntania says:

I remember growing up, at the public pool, you had to pass through the shower area to get into the pool. If you came out of the shower area dry, a conveniently placed lifeguard would send you back through to shower, or no swimming for you.

48. GrandizerGo says:

I used to be in charge of a few pools in the Boston area.
    And we had to test for proper levels every 1 hr. on light days with fewer swimmers, we would decrease the testing rate to every 2 hours.
    Things that harmed the pool most were clothing that was not swimming “rated” cut off jeans, clothes with dyes that leeched into the water and peoples hair spray / products.
    At my pools, I always kept spare clothing that was rated for the pool for people to change into.
    You also HAD to take a shower and scrub with your hands before entering the pool.
    Clothing was either given to the person to keep or washed in the facilities that had washers or taken home by me and washed there.
    The chemical that does react with sweat and urine does work pretty well when you follow the showering rule before getting into the pool. The “false positives” are not false when you see a cloud of color coming from someone’s groin area.
    Or if you see it turning the back and chest and shoulders of someone playing knock me over… :)