Disney Cruise Line Places Alleged iPhone Thief On Administrative Leave

Well, “Nelson”… If you really did take a passenger’s iPhone while working on a Disney cruise ship, it was silly of you to take photos of your stolen phone shenanigans, because now you’ve been caught.

Disney Cruise Line says it’s placed an employee on “administrative leave” (so we aren’t positive it’s Nelson) while it investigates the alleged theft of a passenger’s iPhone, reports USA Today.

Katy says she was a passenger on the Disney Wonder in April when her phone went missing. Then the phone recently started uploading photos to her iCloud, showing a crew member named Nelson. She figured he was the phone thief, and started posting his adventures in a Facebook photo album.

Now, someone else could have done the stealing or perhaps Nelson just found the phone. In any case, Disney is aware of the Facebook photo album and is taking this very seriously. The phone has been recovered and a spokesperson said it will be returned to the guest once the cruise ends.

“We have a zero tolerance policy for this type of behavior,” the spokesperson added. “We are taking aggressive action.”

Disney Cruise Line investigates alleged theft of iPhone [USAToday]

Comments

1. Hibyeman says:

note once the cruise ends by then the guest has little use for an iphone.

• wackydan says:

Her cruise already ended… weeks ago…

The employee using the phone however is currently at sea…

And she already has a new phone I’ll bet.

• caradrake says:

I think what that means is that once the ship has landed, they will get the phone off of the ship. Since there really aren’t many good ways of sending items from a ship at sea to the land.

• Hibyeman says:

huh strange i really need to pay more attention also then i agree with disney officals it is to expensive to turn a ship around to deliver an iphone

• Blueskylaw says:

They can always take the less expensive option and charter a helicopter.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

Or I guess they could try throwing it as hard and as far as they are able lol

• George4478 says:

iPhones are not useful once a cruise is over? Glad I bought a Samsung; I use it everyday whether I’m on a cruise or not.

Yes because iPhones were invented only for use on cruises /s

2. jp7570-1 says:

So “aggressive action” means administrative leave in Disney’s world? Jeez!

• Blueskylaw says:

Agressive action means taking the phone away from him and
      making him work the Atlantic Ocean instead of the Pacific Ocean.

• KatieNeptune says:

As a former Disney Castmember, if you tick off Disney, they fire you at the drop of the hat. Consider this guy gone.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Walk the plank!

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Actually, in the real pirate world, “walking the plank” is a myth made popular by Hollywood. If they don’t like you, they just toss you overboard.

But then, this is Disney, so myths are possible.

• FatLynn says:

While it investigates. Would you want Disney to fire him without hearing his side of the story?

• Charmander says:

I dunno, I’d rather err on the side of “innocent until proven guilty,” rather than be judge, jury and executioner based on very little knowledge of the event.

Let them investigate.

3. Blueskylaw says:

“Disney Cruise Line Places Alleged iPhone Thief On Administrative Leave”

Picture, or it didn’t happen.

4. deathbecomesme says:

Administrative Leave on cruise ship= free cruise vacation! No more work during the cruise!

• IphtashuFitz says:

Not much of a vacation for the crew. They’re typically not permitted to mingle with passengers while off duty. He may have access to one or two rooms with windows, but most crew lounges, etc. are deep inside the belly of the ship. Rooms with views are typically reserved for paying customers, not paid employees. He’s probably stuck in interior lounges watching the same reruns on closed-circuit TV for hours on end.

• PBallRaven says:

If He’s going to get fired anyway, what would prevent him from just strolling around wherever he wanted? I suppose they could lock him in the brig ( I assume they have one of some type ) but then he would just sue them, so….

• StarKillerX says:

That’s likely why they didn’t fire him, and only placed him on admin leave, at least until he’s ashore again.

• IphtashuFitz says:

He’s still an employee of the cruise line, and as such I’m sure he’s required to adhere to a code of conduct. I’m sure there are provisions within that code of conduct that would allow the cruise line to detain him for violating certain parts of it. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if it contains specific provisions for cases such as this. Something like if you’re suspended you have to stay out of way of both other employees who are on duty as well as passengers, otherwise you’ll be confined to your quarters. And if you refuse to remain in your quarters then we’ll lock you up.

• Robert Nagel says:

Violating a corporate code of conduct is a civil matter and not one which will allow them to detain anyone. if an employer was allowed to detain employees for violating the terms of the employee handbook I could get a heck of a lot more work out of my guys. Alas, I can’t.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Presumably, they are not permitted to steal passengers’ iPhones either.

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

It never ceases to amaze me that people who find things like iPhones, or steal them, especially in this environment, think they will get away keeping it for themselves? And at the same time, endanger their jobs? Duh.

6. Gorbachev says:

The series of tubes wins again!

7. RandomHookup says:

I’m sure there are some specific ship related punishments available to the captain, right? I’m sure the decks need swabbing, at a minimum.

8. areaman says:

Yes, even on Disney cruises the passengers are prey (for thief and worse) crew members.

9. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

“taking aggressive action” is way better than “taking it seriously” right?

10. chargernj says:

this may be just me being silly about semantics. But why is it relevant that it was an iphone that was stolen? I feel like if it were any other kind of phone it would just be entitled a “phone” or at best a “smart phone”.

11. Mpowered says:

A necklace was stolen from our cabin’s bathroom on Celebrity. After searching for hours we contacted the people in charge and they helped us look for it again, finding nothing. The next day, it was sitting on our bathroom counter, they claimed they had found it behind the sink, and we never saw our bathroom cleaning attendant again…

12. He says:

They seem to be taking it more seriously than when people die or disappear from their ships.

13. Invader Zim says:

Alice he didnt Br’r Rabbit with it and go Capt Hook all over the place before the big bad wolf got its Cogs Worth and went Maleficent on his Max Goof.

14. strells says:

Wow, still nobody has said the obvious:

High pitched voice: Ha ha!

15. frodolives35 says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the people got a free cruise out of this.

16. MyTQuinn says:

“or perhaps Nelson just found the phone”

I don’t think there’s any difference between stealing it and finding it. He took it into his possession and kept it as his own, knowing it belonged to someone else.