Pizza Chain Offers Free Pies If You Order In Spanish

In a move that is both savvy publicity stunt and topical button-pushing, Dallas-based pizza chain Pizza Patron says it will be handing out free large pies to customers who place their order in Spanish.

Of course, since there are an awful lot of people with at least a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, the chain is limiting the offer to a three-hour window on June 5.

The company, which has around 100 locations, mostly in areas with a large Hispanic population, in seven states, says that the promotion — aside from being a good way to grab headlines — is to remind people of the “positive force of change immigrants have made in communities throughout America.”

We’ve never had Pizza Patron so we have no idea if it’s any good. But sometimes free stuff is worth dusting off the phrase book you bought for your trip to Costa Rica.

Dallas Pizza Chain Giving Free Pizza For Ordering In Spanish [CBSDFW]

Comments

1. OSAM says:

me gusta

2. PunditGuy says:

Oddly enough, all those years of French have yet to pay off.

• cromartie says:

Well then I think a trip to Quebec City is in order.

• JennQPublic says:

Vous êtes un ananas!

Three years of French, and that’s all I’ve got. :-/

• dolemite says:

I took french as well. French should not even be offered! I also took latin. Boy, I wasted my time 2x over.

• PunditGuy says:

Russian for me. I know how to pick ‘em.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Yup. In high school, many girls of a particular set of characteristics all took French, alleging that it was a classier language to learn than Spanish.

I pointed out to them that after I got done learning Spanish, I’d actually be able to talk to all the Spanish-speaking people in this country. Right here. All around us. And what, exactly, were they going to do with their French skills…?

…get pissy, apparently.

• eezy-peezy says:

I used to go camping in Canada and used my (poor) French many times in QC.

• Cat says:

My French skills have always paid off for me.

Oh, you’re talking about the LANGUAGE. Never mind.

• some.nerd says:

Are YOU the current French Tickling champion of the world? Sheds some new light on the origins of your user name…

3. Blueskylaw says:

Я не понимаю причин этого предложения?

• Lyn Torden says:

Бесплатная пицца!

• TinaBringMeTheAx says:

Вы хотите, чтобы прийти ко мне упругий упругий дома?

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Миссис Робинсон, вы пытаетесь соблазнить меня?

4. damicatz says:

If I go to Mexico, do I get a free pizza if I order in English?

5. Bob says:

To all you hispanics out there…

En este pais hablamos ingles. Este pais no es norte mexico. Si la mayoría de la gente habla Inglés, entonces tú también!

• eezy-peezy says:

muy bueno

• James says:

Subjunctive on the third sentence? Or am I wrong…

“Si la mayoría hable Inglés…”

• IndyJaws says:

Estoy de acuerdo

• omargosh says:

No, no subjunctive here, since it’s just a simple conditional. However, Bob was missing accents on “ingles”, “pais”, and “méxico” (which also should have been capitalized), and forgot the inverted exclamation mark, and unnecessarily capitlized “Inglés”. Also, I would have written “el norte de México”, not just “norte mexico”.

But acutally, I wouldn’t have written that sentence anyway because it’s ignorant. Bob equates Hispanics with Spanish-speakers, not realizing there are plenty of Hispanics who only speak English, and plenty of us non-Hispanics who can speak Spanish just fine and don’t feel bad about speaking non-English languages on American soil. Bob also doesn’t appear to realize that nobody learns a language by fiat.

• OSAM says:

Ah Racism…

• FatLynn says:

To all you white people out there: This is a country of Sioux and Cherokee and Iroquois, etc. This is not West Europe.

• Zowzers says:

Was, not is. We came and conquered the continent. It was not a simple migration with the intent of integrating with the natives. it was an outright war of conquest. We took the land by force.

Is that really how you want us to see illegal immigration as nowadays? should they be treated as enemy invaders? As that’s what that comparison is implying. Sr should we put away that silly argument for good?

• Vox Republica says:

Internet: pido disculpas en nombre de Bob. Alguna gente no saben que Puerto Rico es parte de los Estados Unidos–o que se habla español allí. Pues, siempre hay esperanza los hijos de Bob será más tolerante.

Apologies in advance for my garbage grammar.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

It’s so sad that people can be this stupid.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Oh, and by the way…just to make a point of an interesting fact I learned a bit ago – apparently there are now more “minority” babies being born than white babies in America.

• BorkBorkBork says:

If you speak English, you’re a redcoat! In the US of A (land of the free), we speak American!!

/s

Bob’s just being ignorant. The US is a melting pot of languages and cultures, which makes the country so cool. Being a bilingual American is cool, too (hablo espanol) – helps shed the “All Americans are ignorant and self-centered” opinion most foreigners have of us, and it lets you know new people and cultures.

6. Bagels says:

They should give out free shots of Patron too!

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I learned about Patron in a rap song.

7. Cat says:

Thats some racist shit right there. Word.

• CanadianDominic says:

Its a contest with a skill testing question.

• Jawaka says:

Agreed. If a company had a similar promotion that rewarded people for ordering in English there would be a shirt storm right about now.

• Mambru says:

Geno’s the famous philly cheestake place (in philly of course) had a sign that says they only serve people speaking english

8. legion says:

You’d think it would be more appropriate to give a free pizza if you could order it in Italian…

9. bhr says:

Serious question. If a company offered a discount, or in this case a free item, but only to English speakers wouldn’t it 1)be illegal and 2)bring down an epic shitstorm on the company?

• OSAM says:

It’s not racist if it’s against the majority

/s

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

The really sad thing is, is that the /s tag really is not needed. That is the way of the world, at least the US. It takes a lot more/worse for a minority member to be called a racist for comments made than a member of the majority.

• StarKillerX says:

Funny you should mention that, my father in law is an adjunct professor at a local college, and despite teaching for close to 15 years, has a Phd in teaching and has created 2 entire new degree programs for the university and yet he’s been unable to get hired for a full time position.

The last time he put in for a spot the department chair told him “I’d really like to hire you but I can’t because we are required to select staff to increase our diversity.” When he pointed out to her that every professor in the department was a woman, and that teh vast majority were also of racial minorities she stated “Yes, but adding a white man can never be considering increasing diversity.”

• Jawaka says:

The sad thing is that a minority would sue (and probably win) if an employer told them something like this.

As white males we’re expected to just suck it up and deal with it.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Yeah, I just wonder about minority set aside programs. The county I live in (Montgomery county in MD) just became minority (combined) majority. ie: European-Americans are less than 50% of the population.

The next county over (Prince Georges) is a single minority majority (64% black persons according to wording from the census.gov site). Does that mean whites qualify for minority set asides in that county?

And what about the fact that males are the minority sex?

• RandomHookup says:

Probably not illegal, because most businesses don’t have to accommodate someone who can’t communicate in English, though #2 is very likely.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Google translate, in my personal opinion, eliminates the racist element of the free pizza for ordering in Spanish. They’re not asking you to engage in fluent conversation. If that was the case, though, then it’d definitely be racist.

10. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

A friendly Mexican greeting is Yo Pendejo! Use to get something extra on your pizza.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

LOL NO!

I knew just enough Spanish when I lived in California to tell some noisy neighbors to shut the fuck up. “Pendejo” was but one of the words we employed. It’s true; you always learn the bad words first. :)

• Noir says:

pendejo is only mildly offensive in mexico, but in the states has taken a really offensive turn.

on chile on the other hand, pendejo is just the common (but vulgar) use of brat

• Cat says:

It means “Little Friend”.

11. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Babelfish, here I come.

• Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Be careful or you might end up ordering the Dirty Sanchez.

12. I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. says:

BUT DIS HERE IS AMERRICA: WE SPEEK ENGISH!!

13. milrtime83 says:

“We’ve never had Pizza Patrón so we have no idea if it’s any good. “

It isn’t. They normally sell this large for $5 I think if that tells you anything about the quality.

14. Stiv says:

One of the Pizza Patrons in Austin was vandalized because they accepted pesos for payment. Apparently, some people thought it un-American….

15. Mamudoon says:

Hablo espanol! Quiero pizza libre!

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Step 1. Free Pizza
      Step 2. Free Cuba

16. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

The Wendy’s near my house offers free spit if you DON’T order in Spanish!

17. TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

Just another slap in the face. Just think of all the waste created by printing forms in Spanish…what’s next? Traffic signs in spanish underneath or over the english ones?

18. drowse says:

FYI – Pizza Patron is pretty good.

• DrLumen says:

I’ll never know as they won’t ever be getting any of my business.

If they want to cater only to the minority, all they will get is the minority of the market. Sucks to be them.

19. Mrs. w/1 child says:

So I can run a promotion offering free products to people who order them in English only and not get sued for discrimination, right? You know since English speaking people (many originally immigrants themselves) have also contributed to this country.

Maybe a promotion where I require French or German ordering to get free stuff?

Besides, who doesn’t know someone who will teach them enough Spanish to order a pizza?

• RandomHookup says:

Considering all you need to say is “pizza, por favor”… there isn’t a real tall barrier to entry.

20. Budala says:

Seems like a good day and time to call them to tell them the opinion of speaking English. That will tie up a few phone lines. Also ordering 5 pizzas to go, with everything on them. I’ll pick then up as soon as I make it from Ohio over there.

21. Latentius says:

Oh no, people are speaking in tongues! BURN THEM!

Can you believe some people are actually upset over this?

22. Cacao says:

Can anyone please explain to me why “PIC” is pasted on top of “pizza” to make it “PICZA” in the photo?

As far as I know, Spanish speakers are pretty good at keeping words in their original language.

23. human_shield says:

Hola, pizza, si? Gracias.

24. Mad Monk says:

“The world needs ditch diggers too” Caddyshack

My father being a immigrant from China said to me when I asked to go to Chinese School. “What to you want to be when you grow up?” “You are not going to be an Astronaut speaking Chinese”
    “Speaking Chinese all you will ever be is a laundry worker, cook, or some other menial job. Chinese in America is a slaves language.” “Is that what you want to be?”

Lesson learned. I didn’t want to be a second class citizen. Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage but at what cost are you going to take it.? While I am not rich I am also not poor and had a successful career path so far. The language of business is English. The language of losers is Spanish. Spanish gets you entitlements and reduces you to a indolent. Nothing is free and anything worthwhile has to be earned.

• RandomHookup says:

“The language of losers…”?

Doesn’t China have astronauts (“taikonauts”), too? Seems that knowing *both* languages would be a huge advantage in today’s world market.

25. Herman X says:

yo quiero taco bell !!

How is that? Do I git the free pizza now?

Hello?

26. Something2Say says:

Now I can see that taking Latin in high school was a big waste of time.