Truck Spills 55,000 Pounds Of Bottled Beer On The Ground, None Is Passed Around

Quick, get out your straws and empty your pitchers! A big rig traveling in Florida near Daytona Beach was carrying 55,000 pounds of bottled beer when it overturned, spilling all that foamy, alcoholic liquid onto the road.

As CBSMiami notes — “There was so much beer on the road, workers could have gotten drunk just cleaning it up.”

While we’re not sure workers should go around drinking spilled beer, there were plenty of broken bottles of Heineken and Amstel to gather up and dispose of.

“I was tripping out when I seen the truck full of beer I was like ‘wow man.’ There was a lot of broken bottles and everything. I don’t even drink,” said one clean-up worker.

The driver says he lost control of the tractor trailer early on Monday morning when another truck in front of him swerved. However, state troopers say there were no other skid marks on the road or witnesses to corroborate his tale.

It took crews about seven hours to clear the broken glass and beer from the more than 4,000 cases in the truck –Â all told, worth about $50,000. A few cases managed to make it through whole, and will be sent back to the vendor.

Big Rig Loaded With Beer Overturns On Fla. Highway [CBS Miami]

Comments

1. Hi_Hello says:

driver was sampling the product while diving…

2. saffronbandit says:

Uh-huh. Right.

3. dicobalt says:

Miami, where half the drivers can’t even read the english road signs and they have no concept of traffic laws.

• StarKillerX says:

Does it really matter if the person can read the signs they are going to ignore anyways?

4. Blueskylaw says:

I always buy my beer by the pound???

5. CubeRat says:

I’m thinking the local wildlife may be a bit tipsy….

And that area is going to smell awful for a long while.

6. rookie says:

They may be in luck, the weather isn’t that warm, and a bit of rain is in the forecast…

7. Nobby says:

55,000 pound of beer on the truck
    55,000 pounds of beer
    If 55,000 pounds should happen to fall
    then you have a very short drinking song.

8. Budala says:

It was probably warm, that’s why nobody took any.

• EllenRose says:

Whatever the temperature — would you want to open a bottle of beer that had just been this thoroughly shaken?

9. ferozadh says:

Homer: I can’t live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors — oh, I’ll never be the darling of the so-called “City Fathers” who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about “What’s to be done with this Homer Simpson?”
    Marge: Look, just get rid of the sugar, OK?
    Homer: No! [a swarm of bees lands on Homer and the sugar pile] Aah! Hey, get off my sugar. Bad bees! Bad! [gets stung] Ow. Oww! Oh, they’re defending themselves somehow.

10. oldwiz65 says:

Oh the horror! I would have expected people stopping by the road and weeping or trying to grab unbroken bottles/cases.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Oh bollocks — there is no such thing as crying over spilt beer.

11. Cat says:

I read this in Tommy Chong’s voice.

12. NickRayko says:

Heineken & Amstel Light? So, no beer worth consuming was lost.

• Lyn Torden says:

I was afraid I was going to be sick just thinking about the sacrilege until I read what brands these were. What a relief.

13. shthar says:

Heinyken?

Yuck!

14. Mad Monk says:

“One Man’s poison is another man’s treat”

Think of all the taste buds saved from drinking this dreck! Yellow fizzy stuff is for wussies. The world is a better place now.

This headline had me scared but after reading this I felt better.

15. aaron8301 says:

“However, state troopers say there were no other skid marks on the road or witnesses to corroborate his tale.”

Fully loaded trucks almost never leave skid marks when braking or making abrupt maneuvers. Between the 4,000+ pounds on each tire and ABS, the tires won’t skid. So this does NOT prove that another truck didn’t swerve and/or slam on his brakes. The only time the tires on my truck have skidded are when I was empty or almost empty. Never when fully loaded.

Also, this is why cars shouldn’t tailgate trucks. They stop MUCH quicker than you think.

16. Jevia says:

Wasn’t there an old beer-husband’s tale (as opposed to fish-wives tale) that when you die, heaven puts you in a large container filled with every ounce of beer you’ve ever spilt. If you drown, you go to hell. That driver is going to drown.

17. makoto says:

Thank god it was crap beer! What a party fowl though… If that had been blue moon agave blend, I’d be in tears right now or probably out there licking the pavement.

18. pgr says:

What beer drinker in their right mind would stop for a Hieni or, god forbid, Amstel even if it was free?

This crap ain’t beer it’s beer flavored alcoholic water!

19. Hibyeman says: