Slapping A Loudmouth 10-Year-Old Is Not The Best Way To Get Him To Shut Up In A Movie Theater

What happens when two bad consumers come in conflict with each other in dimly lit movie theater? One ends up with a bloody nose and lost tooth, while the other faces assault charges.

Authorities in King County, Washington, have filed felony assault charges against a local 21-year-old man accused of slapping a 10-year-old kid in the face because he and his buddies wouldn’t shut up during a movie.

Back on April 11, the man and his girlfriend were trying to enjoy a night out at the movies — the film isn’t named, so we’re just going to imagine it was The Lorax — but apparently the 10-year-old and his group of friends were feeling rambunctious and kept talking and throwing popcorn around the theater, some of which landed on the couple.

According to the youngster, the man climbed over the seat and said something like, “You know what, I paid a lot of money to see this movie.”

The man says he asked the whippersnappers to clam up but they only laughed at him, so he allegedly lashed out physically at one of them.

“I got so mad that it just happened,” the man is quoted as telling the police afterward.

The man says he didn’t realize the kid was barely into his double-digits.

The detective investigating the incident says that when the man was asked if he knew the recipient of the slap was only 10 years old, he “hung his head down and said he thought the person was a grown man.”

Man charged with slapping loud kid in Kent theater [SeattlePI.com]

Comments

1. Hi_Hello says:

a felony for a slap the kid and his friends deserved??

• MaryK says:

That’s a hell of a slap if it caused the kid to lose a tooth… (I don’t disagree that the kid needed to shut his trap but that seems excessive)

• Jawaka says:

You know, I think we’ve all felt the urge to do what this guy did but as much as the kid may have deserved it I can’t condone hitting a kid. And this guy didn’t just smack him, he bloodied his nose and knocked a tooth out. Again, this was an adult hitting a 10 year old kid. It seems like he feels bad about it but even if the kid were an adult this wasn’t an acceptable reaction.

If I’m the judge I’d impose a fine and put the guy on probation. If I’m the guy I’m apologizing profusely and hoping that the parents don’t sue me for everything I have.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

See, I wouldn’t even fine the guy. I’d give him community service, and that’s all. When you taunt a person, you should expect what this kid got. His parents are enormous failures for not teaching him that you don’t taunt people, period, end of story. This is what happens. If it were a dog, he would have had his throat ripped out. Taunting evokes a visceral reaction in most animals, including humans. I would have been in the same boat as this guy, unfortunately.

• Doubting thomas says:

As harsh as that sounds it makes sense.
          I do not condone a 21 year old slapping a 10 year old, and don’t believe he thought it was an adult. That being said the fact that taunting and provoking someone (especially someone twice your size) can potentially provoke a violent reaction is a valuable life lesson

• Libertas says:

He PERFORMED a public service. Give that man a medal.

• FLEB says:

Community service, waived for time served.

• Papa Midnight says:

Back when I was a kid, it was regularly condoned for other adults of the neighborhood to check each other’s kids if one got out of line. Hell, it was even condoned for other adults to discipline a kid if they were out of line. How times changed.

• alana0j says:

Ok while I agree that the kid deserved to be punished, that was not the responsibility of this man. He allegedly didn’t know it was just a kid…which I find terribly hard to believe..but as a parent I would be livid if someone else smacked my kid. If either of my girls were behaving in such a manner, I would hope someone would report them to the management then contact me. Trust me when I say that I am perfectly capable of disciplining my own children. (and of course I mean a few years in the future…my girls aren’t nearly old enough to be out on their own)

• sock says:

These days ‘the management’ in a movie theater consists of one minimum-wage 17-year old employee who is 2 months older than the other employee for the evening. How much do you think they really care?

I don’t go to movie theaters any more.

I don’t condone what the hitter did.

• iesika says:

Assault is assault is assault, no matter what the other person says to ‘provoke’ you.

In a situation like this, you go get an employee and let them deal with it. Ask for a manager and you’ll probably get free passes and popcorn out of the deal.

We teach kids this in kindergarten – if someone breaks the rules, you tell a teacher. You don’t beat them up behind the swings. And if someone smacks your kid in the face, you call the police.

• OttersArePlentiful says:

Man, I wish I’d gone to your kindergarten… I got hit in the back by an older boy (left a nasty bruise) and when I told my teacher, she said “Nobody likes a tattletale.”

2. Marlin says:

So where can I donate money to this guys legal fund… just saying he may have more supporters than you think. ;-)

3. JennQPublic says:

Not sure I agree with the headline. I mean, it might not be the best way… But we won’t know for sure until we try it.

• JaundiceJames says:

I love it and agree. Certainly needs more testing.

• longfeltwant says:

Agreed. The most important detail missing from the story is, did the kid stfu? If so, consider it a lesson learned. Have the boy apologize to the man, and we won’t punish the kid any farther.

I’m partially kidding. If the kid got a bloody nose and lost a tooth, then perhaps the violence was greater than would be reasonable. Or perhaps not. It’s impossible to judge based on the story.

• JennQPublic says:

If the occasional tooth has to be sacrificed in order for us to live in a civilized society, then I am willing to knock a couple out for the cause.

Vigilante slapping- do it for the children!

4. Coffee says:

God damn if this guy didn’t do what I’ve really, really wanted to do to people of all ages. I can’t go to movie theatres because of people like those kids; they give me Anger Tunnel Vision, and I cannot focus on the screen when they’re sitting there being dickholes.

Do I need to have perspective and calm down? Maybe. Or I can just recuse myself from movie theatres altogether.

• nugatory says:

when you add to that, the people who think texting during the movie is fine, and those that talk/shout AT the movie, and thats why I refuse to go to the theater anymore.

• Coffee says:

Yup…I fixate on illuminated phones like they’re tits. But all that said, I’m not here to bitch and moan about what assholes people are; I’m probably a little unreasonable to expect that everyone in a theatre be civil, which is why I would rather stay at home and stream a movie six months later. It’s cheaper, and I don’t have to wear pants.

• failurate says:

I quit going to the movies. The price is too high, especially when you factor in that some jackass kids can and frequently do ruin the entire experience.

• Woden says:

There are times when talking/shouting at the movie are acceptable. When I went to see Get Him to the Greek it was at a discount theater in the not so best part of town, and of course there were a couple of black folks in the theater with us. Funniest movie I have seen in a long time because of that. Maybe I just got the one good group of “rude” theater goers in the world, but when they yelled out things at the movie it was always funny as hell.

• hoi-polloi says:

Way back in the day, I saw Shocker in one of the rowdier movie theaters in my area. There was so much laughing, yelling at the screen, and carrying on that it made the movie seem better than it was. No one was being disrespectful – we all knew it was a campy, fun horror flick, and it remains one of my best theater experiences to date.

I should mention that I hate idle chit-chat, texting/cell phones, and obnoxious behavior in the movies. I love the theater experience, and I’ve found really disruptive behavior pretty rare in my area. I’d much rather get a manager or move rather than come to blows over a movie.

• TacoDave says:

I saw “Snakes on a Plane” with an awesome crowd. They yelled at the screen, threw rubber snakes, talked, etc. I loved it.

• Blueskylaw says:

You may as well just recuse yourself from movie theatres altogether because many of the youth today are just screwed – between their inability to realize when to be rambunctious, not being able to spell properly (other than in Twitter language, LOL), texting 500 times a day while in class, and having droopy pants. I feel sorry for them because if I owned a business I know I wouldn’t hire many of them (unless I owned a McDonalds’s of course).

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Screw that. I wouldn’t hire them at McDonald’s either. If you can’t lrn 2 spll, I don’t care how brainless the job is, I’m giving it to someone who’s at least trying. It’s better for the morale of coworkers and much, much better for customer service…

• rstark says:

Here in Utah for most movies, at one of our larger chains….after 9:30 some movies will be for age 21 and over only, but that won’t stop the immature asses from doing the same things as a 10 year old.

• MathMan aka Random Talker says:

“Anger Tunnel Vision” – VERY good description of what happens.

• Silverhawk says:

Anger Tunnel Vision, I wish I’d thought of that. I’m pretty sure I suffer from that myself.

ATV for short?

• Coffee says:

ATV…I like that. Used in a sentence: when I’m at the movies and see a smart phone screen light up in my peripherals, it really aggravates my ATV and I can’t even see the movie screen anymore.

• WhenPigsFly says:

ATV used to be when someone opened the side door in the theater and let in all the light to blind everyone close. That happened to me watching Return of the Jedi. Everyone had a ‘super fiit’.

5. AllanG54 says:

All I can say is…there are times I’d like to do the same thing. And where were these kids’ parents?

6. Cat says:

And where are the kids parents in all this?

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

They dropped them at the theater and went shopping, like all good parents!

• Admiral_John says:

I’m pretty sure that the first movie I saw without some sort of supervision, be it my parents or my older sister, was in 1984, when I was 13… I took my very first girlfriend to see “All Of Me” at the mall.

There’s no way my parents would have dropped me anywhere unsupervised at the age of 10… I don’t understand people.

• Emerald4me says:

Exactly. When the police, or the movie theater called the parents, do you think they were even near by? And I have to wonder if the parents will continue to send their kids to the movies unattended. Some lessons are never learned.

• OttersArePlentiful says:

My parents didn’t let me go to the movies alone until I became a teenager, and even then, my Dad started having this super serious conversation with me, like, “If a man sits next to you and your sister and there’s plenty of other seats, move somewhere else. If he follows you guys and sits next to you again, leave and call us. If he puts his hands down your shirt or your pants, scream until help arrives.”

I kept thinking, “WTF, Dad” the whole time because my little sister and I had been flying across country twice a year by ourselves (without an escort) since I’d been twelve. I was pretty sure I could handle a PG movie.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

We went to the movies unsupervised all the time as kids. See, back then you had RULES in the theater. The manager had the authority to kick your little misbehaving ass out if you acted like a jerk. So you didn’t act up, or you faced the consequences. The theater in my town played old flicks every Wednesday in the summer for a buck admission, or your folks could buy a season pass. So every Wednesday afternoon, the place was packed with kids. They knew how to keep order, and for the most part, we didn’t act up because we knew if we did, we’d miss the rest of the movie and be denied admission for the time after that.

If the guy had asked them to please be quiet and then gone and gotten the manager when they didn’t, he/she might have ejected the troublemakers. If they didn’t have the balls to banish unruly ten-year-olds, then quietly asking for a refund of his tickets would have been in order. I understand the impulse to punch, but you just don’t do it.

• Coffee says:

I’m right with you here…it wasn’t abnormal at all for my mother to drop me off at the movies, then go process some paperwork at the hospital, picking me up a couple hours later. This is when I was nine or ten years old, and I don’t really think it was considered bad parenting at the time. Of course, I was a polite, kind of serious kid, so I wasn’t going to be distracting anyone. This was about 20 years ago in a fairly small town (population: about 10,000).

7. WarriorKitty82 says:

There was nothing like having a very young, under 10 kid kicking my seat all through “The Hunger Games.” Which was so awesome of the mom, considering the subject matter. I just shot her dirty looks.

That’s not as bad as my friend sitting through “Act of Valor” while a small child kept asking her daddy questions, such as, “Did he die, Daddy?” “Are you going to die, Daddy?”

Sigh.

• DarthCoven says:

Dirty looks don’t work. Wo/Man up and open your mouth. Say in a stern voice to the child and mother “Excuse me. Please stop kicking my seat. If you continue to disturb me I will call security and have you removed. I didn’t pay $15+ for your demon spawn to give me an impromptu shiatsu massage with its feet.”

9 times out of 10 they’ll either stop or change seats.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

Three of the last 4 times I went to the movies I had to tell people to quit kicking my seat, and only 1 of those times it was a kid.

I quit going to the movies more than 5 years ago.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Wow. My child is nine and would never kick someone’s seat. Someone that age should know better. My daughter was so riveted by The Hunger Games I don’t think she blinked during that movie.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Don’t even get me started on parents bringing kids to movies they probably shouldn’t be watching, or when they’re too young to sit still. Little kids in Watchmen viewing an attempted rape, a two- or three-year-old (was hard to tell) screaming in terror as a T-rex rampaged in Jurassic Park (hell, that one even scared ME), and another very small girl running up and down the aisle during The Dark Knight. Sigh.

• LHH says:

Sadly its why I just don’t go to movies anymore. I am just not willing to put up with it. So thankfully with today’s technology I just wait a little while and either rent or purchase the DVD and have a movie experience in my home. Keeps from damaging my calm.

• impatientgirl says:

I yell till they stop kicking. I’m a mom so I’m quite a good yeller. *cough*

8. mrvw says:

Too bad I couldn’t be on the jury, I wouldn’t convict him. most 10 year old I know need a nice hard slap

• That guy. says:

Jury nullification FTW!

• Libertas says:

Exactly, knocking the hell out of a deserving asshole, regardless of age, is not a crime.

• Bionic Data Drop says:

Your job on a jury wouldn’t be to decide whether or not the kid deserved it, it would be to decide if a crime has been commited according to the letter of the law. Much like the man in the article, you wouldn’t be able to dispense your own version of justice.

• That guy. says:

See my comment. You can conclude that the person did in fact commit the crime, but then decide that they do not deserve punishment. That is where jury nullification comes in.

9. Bebe says:

I certainly don’t condone hitting a 10-year-old but I understand this guy’s frustration. I had the same experience at a multiplex. Parents just drop their kids off at the movies, and the ushers are usually just kids themselves and don’t know what to do when kids are raising hell inside the theater. These multiplexes need to formulate a corporate policy for rabble rousing like this and train their staffs to deal with it.

10. az123 says:

Really, even in a movie theater I would be able to tell the difference between a kid and adult.

The good news is that this probably will leave an impression on the kids that will allow them to behave. in the future.

Of note, most movie theaters will refund your money or send someone in to take care of the problem if you complain about the fact there is an issue with people there.

On a side note, I do wish theaters would take more action and kick people out, after a warning, for this type of thing. People would be more apt to behave if there was some chance of consequence. Theaters don’t want to upset a patron and loose business… honestly I think they would get more business if people knew they were doing this

• failurate says:

Theaters should be patrolling for this type of stuff. Customers shouldn’t have to miss part of the show to report that someone is being an obvious jerk. And when they throw someone out, they should pause the show, and turn on the lights so everyone can see who was causing the disruption. Maybe even offer a partial rewind.

• homehome says:

I’ve seen kids that look like grown men. At my old middle school, this kid was 12 and had a full James Harden beard. He looked older than 2 of his teachers lol. I didn’t believe he was 12 either, they said he came out the womb with a mustache lol.

11. kella says:

Where was the adult supervision for multiple children? Totally unacceptable to leave them unsupervised.

12. redskull says:

Apparently it’s time for schools to set aside a day to teach kids how to behave in a movie theater, because the parents sure as hell aren’t doing it.

• StarKillerX says:

Hell, the parents are often a large part of the problem.

My wife and I used to work most weekends so we were off during the week alot and would hit afternoon showings of movies (it was cheaper and the theater was often virtually empty) and I lost track of how many times I saw a parent, or parents, drop their young kids off in one theater while they went to another. By young kids I’m talking as young as 4 years old. One group was 6 kids all under the age of eight and to top it off the movie wasn’t even a kids movie.

About halfway through I went to the room the women said they would be in and sat behind then and started talking, throwing popcorn and basically making an ass of myself. When they asked “what’s your problem” I said simply “Well, you two made sure that no one in the other theater could enjoy the movie, so I figured I’d return the favor!” (thankfully they were alone in that theater, otherwise I likely couldn’t have done it.)

13. galm666 says:

I don’t normally condone corporal punishment, but there’s a point where verbal stops working.

The kid deserved the slap, the parents might deserve more for having done a poor job.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I’m sorry, but you can’t put your hands on other people’s kids. If my kids acted like this (and even the best behaved kids have their days, especially if they’re alone with their friends), they’d get punished, believe me. But by ME, not by some stranger punching them. You do that, you go to jail. Guaranteed.

• Doubting thomas says:

I love my son, I am fiercely protective of my son, but if he mouths off to an adult stranger while being a jackass and gets popped in the mouth you are fairly likely to see me leaning over my son and asking him what he learned.

• Cor Aquilonis says:

Which is exaclty what they’re talking about when they say “it takes a village.”

14. catskyfire says:

I find that, too often, parents let their kids see a movie without supervision. Supervision may not be needed for the film content, but for the child’s inability to sit still and watch.

I remember seeing the second star wars prequel, with three or four kids two rows behind me. The oldest was maybe 9. Not surprisingly, there are parts of the movie that are less than thrilling….even for adults. During the prolonged dialogue/”romance”, they started kicking chairs, talking loud, going up and down stairs, and throwing things. I didn’t slap them…but I can see wanting to.

In many ways, movie theater etiquette has worsened since the rise of watching movies at home. There, you can usually talk and goof around a bit. If you need to, you can pause, and go do something more physical. If there’s a boring part, you can even skip it (I’ve started to do that with romance scenes where there is no chemistry….or point.).
    Go to a theater, where you’re expected to put your phone away, sit quietly (and in mostly upright position), etc…and it’s a whole different thing.

• emax4 says:

Are we talking about the boring parts at home, skipping the non-chemistry romance scenes, and doing something else, or.. oh, OH you mean in the PICTURE!

15. kcvaliant says:

I guess call the child protective services for abandon children?

• lotussix says:

your parents never dropped you off at a theater with friends when you were a kid?

• Stickdude says:

Not at 10 years old.

• OutPastPluto says:

I saw Alien like that.

You can never expect people to act civilized unless you give them some opportunity to fail at it. You want people behave yet never allow them any opportunity to actually practice at it.

Even the “disciplinarians” coddle children these days.

• crispyduck13 says:

Leaving your kids in a theator while you go off somewhere else is going to give them the opportunity to fail, unfortunately you won’t be there to witness it.

The better way: take your kids to see a movie, let them sit on one side of the theator with their friends, you sit on the other side. If they screw up bad enough you will be there to lay down the law instead of the people in front of them.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Yeah, but first you have to teach it to them. You have to practice good manners at home and make it clear that is what you expect. Kids don’t learn to get along by osmosis. They have to be taught.

Then you take them out in increments. You don’t shove them full bore into a formal dinner with multiple forks when they’re three, nor would you expect them to sit through a two-hour movie with scary stuff (big and loud) coming at them either. As they show they have mastered the skills, so you give them more exposure according to their development. If they can’t behave, they need to lose the privilege until they can.

LOL we spent a very large chunk of our childhood banished from trips to the grocery store. There was just something about walking into a building filled with noms that triggered our “Gimme” response. We had to be content with whatever snack we got, usually the same thing. I still can’t look a Nutter Butter in the face to this day.

• RvLeshrac says:

Sounds like that’s exactly what happened here. So why is everyone complaining? The kid discovered that when you fuck with people, you get punched in the face.

• crispyduck13 says:

At 10 years old?? No my parents did not do that and I was a very mature child.

• dks64 says:

10 years old is WAY too young to be at a theaters alone with other kids, especially boys. The parents know their son is a POS, they just don’t care.

• BD2008 says:

I walked to the movie theater at the age of 10 with my friends in the summer. But then, I was a latchkey kid and was left to my own devices most of the time. I do think that people are way too uptight about letting kids do their thing these days.

It was wrong for that man to physically assault the kid and based on the police description of his behavior when he found out he was 10, he knows it.

• BD2008 says:

16. kcvaliant says:

I guess call the child protective services for abandon children?

17. myktag says:

The kid deserved it.

18. sspeedracer says:

Curious of movie rating and if parents were there. Would the theater owner share some liability for admitting a minor to a PG-13?

19. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

For many parents: movie theater = day care.

20. Slow-talking Walter, the fire-engine guy. says:

Couldn’t tell the difference in the voice between a 10-year old and a grown man???

• crispyduck13 says:

What are they feeding the kids these days?

• Tyanna says:

I’m betting he didn’t think the kid was an adult, but thought the kid was a teenager. Maybe he thought the kid was 16 not 10. That can sometimes be harder to tell.

21. Bsamm09 says:

Next time get the kid to cut a switch.

22. Budala says:

The kids parents fault either way.

Just 10 days ago I watched a kid about that age get an ass whooping by the mother (possibly aunt) for the kid doing something bad. The fault was that the woman paid zero attention of what the kid was doing. So in the end the kid got a betting for that woman’s fault.

23. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

This is why people hate going to movie theaters. The staff should have hiked those kids out of there.

I too have fantasized about smacking unruly children in stores, etc. Their stupid, clueless parents just stand there while kids scream until you think your ears will bleed, or run around or block aisles in the supermarket. When you say “excuse me” to get by, they look at you like a dairy cow and blink, and if you’re lucky they move without cursing at you.

I hope this guy can get the charge reduced. Sounds like he just snapped.

Where were the parents, anyway?

• There's room to move as a fry cook says:

It was 10:30 at night, do you know where your parents are?

• nugatory says:

No I don’t. I really don’t. If you try and tell me, you’d end up like this 10 year old.

24. coffee100 says:

Arson and Grand Larceny are felonies.

Does every police badge come with a free book of felony coupons now or something?

25. DarthCoven says:

Call me a stick in the mud, but if I’m paying good money to see a movie in the theater (which is a rarity nowadays), I will not hesitate to seek out theater staff to have offenders removed. You get one verbal warning from me. I’ll be polite, but stern. “Excuse me. Please either hang up the phone or continue your conversation outside.” If I’m ignored, I get up and get security. If more people followed this method, asshats at the theater will be few and far between. I’ve lost count of the number of free movie passes I have received simply by asking theater staff to remove troublemakers.

26. PadThai says:

Am I the only one who thinks this was an inappropriate reaction, even if he thought the kid was really an 18 year old? What happened to getting an employee and having the kids kicked out?
    Violence is not the answer.

• OutPastPluto says:

Besides. You might stumble upon someone that can break your neck.

The fact that they might be 10 does not eliminate this possibility.

• Jane_Gage says:

Dump your drink and the kid’s drink onto the offenders.

• StarKillerX says:

While I don’t disagree with you I wouldn’t want to be the deciding vote on a jury for this case. lol!

• Bionic Data Drop says:

I agree 100%. While lots of people in the world deserve to get the snot beat out of them, that doesn’t give you carte blanche to dispense justice yourself. That is why he is rightfully facing assault charges.

• mister_deez says:

I know alot of people may disagree, but if my kid was talking too loud, throwing popcorn at people, taunting a much stronger and bigger person, and got the shit slapped out of him. I’d drop all charges and thank him for teaching my child an important lesson.

27. Outrun1986 says:

The movie theater here has become a daycare in a sense, a lot of parents let their kids see a movie without supervision, even at as young as 8 years old. Its a great place to drop your kids if you need to get rid of them for a couple hours. I don’t think this is right, because anything could happen in that theater, and honestly you don’t know if your kid is sitting there and watching the movie, or bailing on the movie to make mischief elsewhere or in the theater’s lobby then going back right at the movie’s end to make the parents think they actually sat there and watched it the whole time.

• StarKillerX says:

And ironically the same people who will dump their preteens at the theaters would be the first to scream bloody murder and sue if anything happened to their kids

28. sherrietee says:

I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve attended the movies in the past two years, basically because of kids that seem to think it’s perfectly fine to talk, text and play games on their phones while in a theater.

The few times I’ve gone in the last couple of years, I’ve sat in the back row, after 8 p.m. on a weeknight that isn’t a school holiday. It’s been passably okay during those occasions. Avengers was the one time it backfired on me, but even that experience wasn’t TOO awful.

I still recall it WAS an adult who answered not one, but two, cell phone calls in the middle of Harry Potter a couple of years ago. The ushers just stared at me blankly when I asked them to do something about it.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I like to go on Sunday mornings, usually around 11:00 am. There’s always a few people in there, but it’s rarely crowded because people are just getting out of church then. They have to stand around and schmooze, maybe go for coffee and donuts or out to lunch, etc. before they go anywhere.

The exception was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I went the first weekend (which I rarely do) and it was packed. A baby who had been asleep started crying right at the climax, where Lucius Malfoy demanded the prophecy from Harry. Every head in the theater swiveled in that direction. The mother did get up and go out, lucky for her!

• Hibyeman says:

Do what i do wait till the movie goes past 12:00 PM if you can only people who stay up that late are people who want to watch the movie not be a jackass

29. rjt says:

Maybe I’m way off on this one, but shouldn’t the movie theatre be looking at a large fine as well? Unless this adult couple went to see a ‘G’ rated movie without children of their own, those children should not have been allowed into the theatre without an adult.

Also, while I support the guy’s intention, if he thought it was adult, why did he slap him? I mean a slap? Come on!

30. Kuri says:

Didn’t ushers used to patrol for trouble makers like that kid?

• Kuri says:

And if I may add, it kinda says too much about society today when he thought even a grown man would act like that.

• coffee100 says:

Well, the ushers would have been there but they all got fired because they live in the U.S. and Americans are too expensive. Avengers only made nine hundred million dollars.

31. TheUncleBob says:

While it was *only* popcorn – is not throwing stuff at someone also assault?

Could the slapper and his woman in this story not file assault charges against the kid?

32. CalicoGal says:

I watch my own movies at home.

Seriously, I cannot fathom why anyone even goes to the movies anymore. Yuk.

• DarthCoven says:

My neighbors get pissed off when I crank my sound system to watch an action/sci fi movie the way it’s meant to be watched. I can only imagine the calls I’m going to get once The Avengers is out on Blu-ray…

• pk says:

I agree. Also, you can’t drink. Or hit Pause to go to the bathroom.

33. Cooneymike says:

I don’t care what the kid was doing or how loud he was. Unless he physically began the fight a 21 year old doesn’t get to hit a 10 year old.

A few years ago at a pro baseball game the guy behind me dumped nachos on me. I jumped up, called him a F’ing A#@ and cocked my fist to punch. The 14 or 15 year old sitting there shrunk back into his seat. Obviously I didn’t throw but still was standing there. He was wrong to not handle his food carefully in such close proximity to others, but he’s a kid too, and I was the A#@.

34. Cooneymike says:

35. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

FYI, contact a movie employee, they will remove them.

36. jacobs cows says:

He could have just moved his seat before he became so irate.

37. NumberSix says:

Well, the parents were not there to do it so…

38. dolemite says:

Man, that guy is a hero. Who hasn’t wanted to turn around and slap the crap out of some brat kicking their seat or throwing popcorn?

That said, I would have contacted management …you know, to avoid getting sued and/or going to jail.

39. Nobby says:

I’ve been slapped for far lesser offenses. These kids got off light.

40. Corinthos says:

At least he didn’t shoot the kid in the face.
    Anyways think the kid deserved it and right after it happened I would have just left the theater and walk some where and called someone to come get me. Theaters near me don’t have cameras.

I once punched a kid in the gut for throwing rocks at cars. Hit my car with a rock as I was going down the street and took off on a bike. Took me almost ten minutes to catch the kid.Pushed him and his bike over and punched him in the stomach and left him.

41. tungstencoil says:

“Slapping A Loudmouth 10-Year-Old Is Not The Best Way To Get Him To Shut Up In A Movie Theater”.

Actually, I disagree with that statement.

42. kobresia says:

The kids were yelling and throwing popcorn at other patrons, and then sassed an adult after being reprimanded, that kid deserved what he got plain and simple. Actually, all the kids deserved more than they got.

From the story, it sounds like the mother was also there, somewhere. She deserved a much more severe pop in the mouth for not keeping her kids under some semblance of control in a venue like a theater. Dumbasses, giving both parents and children a bad name.

43. baristabrawl says:

But I bet that little bastard doesn’t talk during another movie. He may develop a lifelong fear of theaters.

44. ferozadh says:

If you want to see an appropriate response to this type of situation, watch a little movie called God Bless America. It’s rather cathartic.

45. Starfury says:

Sounds like the parents need a slap for not raising their kid better.

46. technoreaper says:

This guy is a hero. Drop the charges. I’m tired of these punks getting away with murder these days.

47. ILoveBacon says:

While I wouldn’t have hit the kid myself, if I were there, I would have watched, laughed, and applauded. The fact that the hit drew blood only makes this story more entertaining.

48. varro says:

In before comments about Kent. (Yes, I remember Almost Live and Cops in Kent….)

49. Harry Greek says:

Solution: buy 2 large drinks, shuffle and stumble behind said loud mouth, sneeze and drop both drinks all over the loud mouth trouble maker.

Apologize, offer some cash to pay for the dry cleaning, etc.

Repeat for the added insanity effect.

50. MECmouse says:

I finally told a father next to us with his 6YO daughter who didn’t want to be there (we were seeing something on opening night that was clearly rated R) that we didn’t pay to hear his daughter talking and him talking back to her and that he needed to remove her from the theater. He got all touchy and told me, “It’s not that big of a deal.” WTF!?! I fired right back that if it wasn’t that big of a deal then he could leave. We rarely go to the movies anymore, never go on opening night, and God help anyone around me who has better things to do than watch the movie ! I would never get physical with someone, but I will tell them what I think of their behavior and if I have to, go get the manager and get a refund.

They get away with it because everyone lets them!

51. novajosh says:

Just a question, would the man not have been charged with assault if he slapped a grownup as compared to a 10 year old? Not sure why the cop was asking him if he knew the kid was a kid.

• Hibyeman says:

Because there is another type of assault charge that has a higher minimal penalty it is assaulting a minor he was a minor so the officers had to find out if he knew he was facing charges for assaulting a minor or if he thought he was just facing assault charges

52. Bionic Data Drop says:

I can’t believe people’s comments on this article. Did we go back to the dark ages? A 21 year old man slapped a 10 year old boy causing him a bloody nose and to lose a tooth for being annoying in a movie theater and the majority are taking the side of the 21 year old? There are annoying people everywhere in society, you don’t get to walk up and assault them. The 21 year old should have talked to the manager and have the problem fixed or have his money refunded. He should face assault charges and do some time behind bars.

Someone please tell me I’m not crazy for thinking this way. Loias? Anyone?

• ferozadh says:

I would’ve gone with one of the suggestions here to “accidentally” pour some big gulp sized drinks on these tards. Violence begets violence, but stained clothes begets new clothes. Everybody wins.

• Bionic Data Drop says:

Spilling drinks on the kid? I can get behind that. Doing something to embarass/inconvenince him? Sure. But not placing your hands on him. His age doesn’t even have anything to do with it. People who physically attack others just because “they were annoyed” should be separated from civilization (like prison). The man in the article needs to learn to solve his problem like a man and not a gorilla.

• dolemite says:

Time behind bars? Yeah….I think jail should be reserved for rapists and murderers…not people that slap a brat, smoke pot or steal gas.

Long ago, people in the entire village disciplined children. A kid steals an apple from your cart? They got beaten. Yeah, those were the “dark ages”. Are kids today better behaved than they were 50, 100, 500 years ago? Hell no. For all our “advancements”, here we are: a 10 year old thinks it’s fine to disrespect his elders, taunt them, throw food, and hide behind the entitlement our non-disciplining society has instilled in him.

53. eccsame says:

One time, when I was in my early 20s, my girlfriend and I were followed around a huge mall by three kids who just took pleasure at harassing us. They were probably 9 or 10 and initially I tried to ignore them. Then I tried to play along and talk to them. Then I asked them to stop. Then I asked them to stop again. Then they started running up to me and lightly pushing me. Seeing where this was going I told them that the next kid who touched me would wish he hadn’t. *shove* and I swing around and grab the first kid, as scrawny hispanic child, and lift him into the air and slam him against the nearest wall. I think I said something like “go the f*** home” and put him down. His friends were cowering 10 feet away in shock. I put the kid down and he started bawling. A rather large hispanic gentleman (I’m white) saw the altercation and came over, probably to kick my ass. I contritely explained the situation and the guy looked at the kid and walked away.

I bet they never did that shit again.

To this day, I’ve never felt bad about it.

54. dirtrat says:

Hopefully this will be a hard lesson learned for this loud mouth punk and his buddies!

55. Libertas says:

I am developing this revolutionary new parenting technique called “Five Across the Eyes.”

Let’s hope it catches on.

56. Pigfish99 the randomly insane says:

some kids just need their mouths removed.

57. fordprefect says:

Why I rarely go to movies anymore.

58. caj111 says:

I don’t have it in me to hit a 10-year old, and I don’t think this guy should have done that either, but if the mother, who the article says was there as well, had taught her child to be quiet during a movie, none of this would have happened. Whatever punishment the guy gets for this, the mother should get the same punishment. In situations like this, it’s not the obnoxious kids who piss me off so much as it’s the parents who are there and choose to do nothing about it that piss me off. I see it all too often. WTF?

59. Hibyeman says:

wtf you do not let your ten year old kid see Titanic in 3-D

60. axiomatic says:

Are you paying attention movie theater owners? Your inability to monitor the enjoyment of a movie for all in attendance is why I no longer visit your premises anymore.