Pizza Hut Thinks We Should Eat Pasta With Our Fingers

Jeff and his wife were traveling, and had a hankering for one of Pizza Hut’s pasta dishes. They ordered up some starch-laden caloriffic goodness from The Hut’s website, then followed up with a phone call to say, “hey, we’re staying in a motel, can you send along some plastic forks?” This was evidently too much for the local Pizza Hut to handle. Which is kind of odd, considering that they deliver food and all.

My wife and I travel a great deal, and spend several nights a month in motels and hotels. After a hard day’s work, we decided to order delivery of some Pasta from Pizza Hut, via their website.

Our order confirmation email included a number to call for the local restaurant, in case we wanted to add or change the order. I called the number to ask that they please include some forks and napkins, as we were in a motel room without a kitchen. The telephone rep was apparently at a call center…she told me that Pizza Hut doesn’t have Forks or Napkins, and then said she’d call the local restaurant to confirm. She put me on hold for a minute, and then came back on the line to confirm that indeed, they do not have Forks or Napkins. The order was delivered….we just had to improvise.

Seems kind of ridiculous that a delivery restaurant expects us to eat with our hands….

Yeah, yeah. He should make his own forks at home.

Comments

1. donjumpsuit says:

I think if they step back from their own story, they will see what went wrong.

• mantene says:

You mean, at this part “we decided to order delivery of some Pasta from Pizza Hut”? Yeah, I think that is where they went wrong too.

2. Sarahlara says:

Seems like too small of a thing to complain online about, but okay.

• Sneeje says:

Seconded.

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

This is a huge failure in customer service for food delivery.
      It is crazy they dont have plastic forks. What are people supposed to do with no forks???
      If they have to drive and get forks, they might as well drive and get the pizza.

• Sneeje says:

Of course it is, but on the scale of consumer problems it is pretty minor. There are two key dimensions here:

1) Consumer harm: a) death, b) major injury, c) subjected to great risk, d) major inconvenience, e) minor inconvenience.
        2) Scope of impact: a) global, b) national, c) state, d) city, e) one location

We have a minor inconvenience at one location. Most of us just adapt, note the disappointment, and move on.

If we all react dramatically to everything in the d) – e) quadrant of the above, it diminishes the impact and relevance of everything else. I wish Consumerist as a whole would get that.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I like your formula. I think I’ll adapt it for my own use. Next time I get inconvenienced, I’ll think of it. :)

If more people would do this, perhaps we’d stop seeing all the screaming attack videos where someone loses it over lack of a pickle on their sammich.

• A.Mercer says:

I worked at a place that delivered fried chicken and if you forgot to add forks and napkins to an order then you could get written up. I knew people who got in severe trouble for forgetting to put them in with the large orders. I knew one guy who was fired but he was already a trouble child who had a very hard time understanding that you were supposed to work while you were on the clock. If you think these are severe punishments you need to be on the phone with the people who ordered the food and did not get the stuff. They are very upset at waiting to get the food and then not being able to eat it because we did not send forks. Now they have to wait for us to redeliver that stuff or figure something out on their own.

• Jillia says:

My initial thought before reading was that they were complaining that they asked for forks and napkins that were forgotten in the delivery. Whoopty freaking doo. But after reading the story, this is just stupid (on Pizza Huts part) that they are a restaurant, that serves pasta nonetheless, and they don’t have forks or napkins. Not even NAPKINS?? Really Pizza Hut???

• Sneeje says:

Stupid? Absolutely. Face-palmingly so.

Major consumer issue? Hardly.

• Charmander says:

I don’t think it’s odd that they don’t automatically give you napkins. When you get pizza delivered to your house, do they give you napkins? No. You wouldn’t even expect them to.

I think the problem is that Pizza Hut’s main delivery model is to houses and apartments, places where you wouldn’t normally need forks and napkins. They are not taking into account places – such as motel rooms – where the recipients wouldn’t have access to these items.

3. verymegan says:

That is ridiculous, but I’ve encountered it more than once, unfortunately. This is not a “blame the OP” post but I did learn during my business travels to keep my own spoon, fork, and chopsticks in my travel bag. They were disposables but I washed them with each use. Came in handy more than once! So I know Pizza Hut isn’t the only company with this issue. :(

4. jimbo831 says:

So I worked as a delivery driver in a Pizza Hut for about 3 months. The national call center was our worst enemy. They screwed up EVERYTHING. What happens is when we are busy or on another call, and don’t answer the phone after a certain number of rings, it gets forwarded to the call center. They are all but worthless and screw everything up. I can almost guarantee that this person never called the store because they are lazy and stupid.

My Pizza Hut had plates, napkins, silverware, etc.

• Conformist138 says:

I don’t order from Pizza Hut much, but yeah, I know they’ve delivered forks and napkins because at work I similarly have been caught sans utensils.

I have never even needed to ask for these items. In fact, my local papa john’s not only delivers appropriate utensils, but also paper plates and cups if you order soda, so it’s clearly not an unreasonable request.

Either the call center rep lied completely, or that location is scraping by without even basic supplies.

• Corinthos says:

I’ve ordered pasta twice from mine and they brought 4 things of plastic utensils.
      Anyways if this was the case with mine I would tell them to just cancel the order.

• MarkFL says:

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the pizza oven? Why the hostility?

Besides, the story says that the local number was provided and they called it. If it was forwarded to the call center, that represents neither laziness nor stupidity on the customer’s part.

• RAtwins says:

Jimbo was talking about the person at the call center never calling the local store to find out if they had utensils. He wasn’t commenting about the customer’s laziness.

“The telephone rep was apparently at a call center…she told me that Pizza Hut doesn’t have Forks or Napkins, and then said she’d call the local restaurant to confirm.”

5. PadThai says:

A minor oversight, no?

6. KTrenholm says:

This is a story?

Delivery places forget stuff like this all the time.

• jimbo831 says:

This is different because they didn’t forget. They simply claimed they didn’t have plates and silverware and refused to bring it.

7. PadThai says:

If there really were no forks to be found at the motel, why not call back, apologize, explain you have no option, and ask the delivery guy to come back with some forks?

• PadThai says:

..from another establishment?

• PadThai says:

So, the real issue here is if you read the consumerist part of the article, and not the quote from the consumer, it sounds like they asked for forks and didn’t get them delivered.

8. Blueskylaw says:

“Pizza Hut Thinks We Should Eat Pasta With Our Fingers”

It’s a European thing.

• tooluser says:

Yes, pasta should always be cooked “al dente”, and “al dente” is Italian for “with the fingers”.

9. az123 says:

Did they try to talk to the desk at the hotel? My family has a long history working in the hotel industry (mostly corporate level) and most hotels tend to be able to help people out in situations like this, even the small family owned ones.

I agree it is strange that the Pizza Hut could not bring them along, but still does not seem like the OP tried anything beyond getting things delivered

• CommonSense(ಠ_ಠ) says:

Good point.
      Every hotel I have ever been to had either plastic spoons and forks or both.
      Or they at least had metal ones.
      They definitely should have went to the front desk.

10. PLATTWORX says:

Odd that any restaurant would deliver means without napkins. Utensils would seem normal too. I can see why our area has had so many Pizza Huts shut down.

That said, this writer’s hopefully has larger things to worry about then focusing on missing forks with a talk out meal and spending time writing a story about it.

11. Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I have a side delivery job that I do on the weekend. A good delivery driver will get you what you need by any means. If the restaurant runs out of plates/forks/etc, dollar general is right down the street. BUy a pack and keep it in the car. Explain to the customer that you were out of the regular plates/forks/etc but that you stopped at dollar general to get some for them. Win big tips! This is why out of all my coworkers I earn the most tips every night. You simply have to be the best at whatever you do. I make about $18K per year doing delivery on the weekend.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

Let me mention that I make more being a delivery driver than I make being “Director of Business Development” at my “real” job. This world is so screwy.

• jimbo831 says:

Let me add to this that it is HIGHLY dependent on where you deliver pizza. I delivered in a relatively run down neighborhood full of poor people on welfare. Tips were few and far between. At least half of my customers stiffed me completely and most felt that $1-$2 was a great tip on a $30 order. Most of these people were pissed about the “delivery fee” (of which I got zero) that they just told me that was my tip. More or less, my tips covered gas and wear/tear on my car, but not much more.

• Important Business Man (Formerly Will Print T-shirts For Food) says:

I think you work for the wrong delivery company, sir. I actually deliver for a company that delivered for a variety of restaurants (including big brands like Applebees and Olive Garden and small local places.) We’re paid $2.50 per delivery and keep ALL tips. Sometimes if its busy I’ll get double and triple orders from the same restaurant at the same time. I can easily make around $20 per hour because I’m fast.

• jimbo831 says:

Well, I delivered pizza, for Pizza Hut, you know, like in the article here. But yes, that job sounds infinitely better. Pizza Hut charges a $2.00 delivery fee, of which I was given $0.50 per delivery as well as all tips. The combination of those two things covered a bit more than my gas. But again, it was in large part due to my area full of rude and ignorant people. I have known people delivering pizza in nicer areas to make decent money, although the wear on the car is still rough.

• MarkFL says:

If the delivery fee is $2.00, why should the restaurant keep any of it? It’s the driver who has to do the work, pay for the gas, deal with the wear on the car, etc. Yes, they have to put the pizza in a box, but there are no dishes to wash as you would have with an eat-in customer.

Crap, I hope they don’t take a cue from Spirit Airlines and start charging an extra fee for delivery AND an extra charge for dining in.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I always tip 20% in addition to the fee. That’s terrible that others don’t.

12. spartan says:

A few years ago I was traveling on the interstate about 230 am and came across a 24 hour Taco Bell (another Yum Brand). I went thru the drive-thru ordered one of the bowls that they were pushing at the time. Something with a lot of beans and rice and nachos.

I thought they forgot the fork so I waited in line a second time to ask for one, and was told that “they forgot to ship them”. I remember asking the poor clerk why she didn’t mention that when I ordered and some belligerent ass manager (not a typo) shouted BECAUSE I TOLD HER TO”.

Anyways they refused the refund, and I actually called a credit card to reverse the 4 or 5 dollar charge.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I HATE HATE HATE the drive-thru at Taco Bell. If that’s my only option, I’d rather go to a gas station and eat one of those plastic sandwiches. Every single time I go through one, they mess it up. I really think there is an Orb of Confusion in that space by the window, and when they step into it it’s like “DUUUUUUUUUUUBLLUUUUUHHHHH…”

• Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

Orb of confusion…ima use that one.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i used to work the taco bell drive through and i had the weirdest request one night
        “beef burrito supreme, no plants or vegetable on it please”
        i reflected on that a couple of seconds and then said “so just beef, cheese, sour cream, and sauce – but no tortilla is going to be tricky”
        she thought that was funny and at the window she told me i was the only person who had gotten the order right AND she’d never thought about the tortilla issue. but i know 90% of my coworkers would have been unable to process the concept of leaving out an entire category instead of leaving out several individual items.

• MarkFL says:

Well, perhaps not as odd as it seems. During Passover, I have been known to go to Subway and ask for a sub with no bread — just the meat and some veggies with it. And once I was visiting my father, who apparently has become less observant than he used to be, and he and stepmom took me out to a Mexican restaurant where almost everything has some kind of tortilla or shell. (I don’t mean Taco Bell, but a regular sit-down-and-enjoy-your-meal restaurant.) I ended up ordering tacos with no shells.

13. JGKojak says:

Oh, the humanity. What kind of beasts have we become?

14. Cicadymn says:

“Sorry, Pizza Hut doesn’t carry forks for delivery.”
    “I’d like to cancel my order then.”

Problem solved.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

I have a feeling if that was the case, the title of this post would be “Pizza Hut Doesn’t Know The Meaning of ‘Cancel My Order’, Delivery Guy Kicks Open Motel Door”

• msbask says:

So few people actually talk with their wallet. If you’re not getting what you expect, then cancel the order. Your acceptance of having no flatware with your meal was tacit approval of Pizza Hut’s methods.

15. Extended-Warranty says:

In other news, I told McDonalds to give me chopsticks, and they didn’t give them to me. What has happened to customer service these days…

• Draskuul says:

If Pizza Hut only sold pizza and other food that is normally eaten without utensils then this would be a perfectly valid bit of snark.

Unfortunately Pizza Hut now sells items like pasta that normally require utensils to eat in a civilized manner. I wouldn’t expect chopsticks or even a knife, but a fork is a completely reasonable expectation.

There is no love lost between me and Pizza Hut. I’ve had a driver drop a container of wings, including 3-4 of them falling out of the box onto the ground, and them just shrugging it off. I’d have demanded a replacement order (after all, we’re talking $3 of food at their prices), but I wouldn’t have trusted the safety factor of what I’d actually receive at that point.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yeah, plastic spork and tissue paper napkin in a plastic baggie ought to be the bare minimum when you upgrade from finger food to table food

16. Not Given says:

I carry a box of disposable flatware whenever I go out of town

17. BlueHighlighterNextToACoozie says:

I blame the OP. If he and his wife travel “a great deal” as he points out he should be earning better rewards and should have been staying in a motel room with a kitchen.

• MarkFL says:

They may be traveling on a budget. Or perhaps they were in an out-of-the-way area that doesn’t have a lot of fancy places. Or, maybe, they travel without a lot of advance notice and didn’t know where they would be that night until they got there (which also could mean a lot of places were booked solid).

18. DerangedHermit says:

I make my own utensils at home…er, on the road.

19. Slow-talking Walter, the fire-engine guy. says:

The Horror!!

20. crispyduck13 says:

All the real, honest-to-God getting completely fucked over stories I send you guys get tossed in the garbage but this makes the cut? Guess I’ve been barking up the wrong tree.

21. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I’d like to know how they improvised. Did they just drop their faces into the hot pasta like some kind of pie eating contest?

22. marc6065 says:

That is why I use tampons with the cardboard applicater. You can always make a spork out of one of those if you need to

23. mrvw says:

This just confuses me, I’ve ordered delivery from many different Pizza Huts in many different states and I’ve always gotten silverware, plates and napkins when I’ve asked for them.
    My money is on the call center just being crappy

24. pinkbunnyslippers says:

It’s not that the utensils didn’t get delivered, it’s the claim from the PH that they “didn’t have forks or napkins” – that’s the issue that I think people aren’t picking up on here. Doesn’t anyone see that as a little odd?

• Jules Noctambule says:

I think people are intentionally overlooking that bit in order to lord their meal-planning superiority over the OP.

25. dush says:

I wonder if they serve the pasta at the Pizza Hut as well and then have no forks or napkins for the people dining in.

26. binkleyz says:

Why are “Forks” and “Napkins” capitalized?

27. Here to ruin your groove says:

Easy solution: Breadstick chopsticks.

Now you don’t have to eat like a savage anymore.

28. RoadDogg says:

Why would you order online if you were going to call anyway? If you just called the story directly to place your order and ask for forks I bet you would have been all set.

• Hi_Hello says:

just to make sure the order was correct. Sometimes I can’t understand people on the other end, sometimes they don’t understand me. I only do ‘non-regular’ orders online (1/2 topping, extra sauce).

Some places would call me after I place an order online just to make sure it wasn’t a prank order (happen a lot when living on campus)…

29. Debbie says:

May I assume they ordered pizza? Pizza is eaten by folding the slice in half, creasing at the edge, and holding it like a taco. Or do these folks use forks for tacos, too?

• Hi_Hello says:

i like to roll up my pizza.

I sometimes eat my tacos with a knife and fork…hmm I sometimes eat pizza with a knife and fork…

they ordered the pasta dishes.

• elangomatt says:

Impressive, you didn’t even make it to the end of the title before you stopped reading! Most people can at least get through the entire 10 words of the title before they forget how to read.

30. maxamus2 says:

You couldn’t have improvised by ordering pizza instead? For shame you may not get one meal of your choice.

31. erinpac says:

Not having napkins is odd, but I’m not surprised they didn’t have forks. In store, they serve with metal utensils. For delivery, the pasta is really the only thing they have that requires the forks, it isn’t their main focus, and it’s not even individually portioned. Normally at home, that would also require bowls and something to scoop it out with; I wouldn’t have thought to order it as a roughing it without a kitchen sort of meal.

32. The last angry man says:

Yes, it is small potatoes – they could have gotten flatware from the motel, etc. etc. But it just shows how companies don’t care anymore – no attention to detail at all. Just another mosquito biting at the quality of life.

33. RiverStyX says:

I swear we’re becoming the next lower-class minority. I can think of a few things that directly insult and disparage legitimate Italians: Jersey Whore, Pizza Slut, and Slob Wives. I ain’t too fond of any pizza chain in particular, but Pizza Slut is the poster child of how food is not meant to be made. He did you a favor by not giving you forks and knives, perhaps it’ll make you reconsider supporting the likes of Yum Brands – Home of Taco Bell and other tasteless landmarks of fast-food america..Keep eating that junk, we’ll pray for your fat ass. There’s a reason why retirement homes don’t have too many fatties, Darwin always wins this argument in the end.

34. gman863 says:

At least it’s not Arby’s thought of having a finger served with your food

35. Hartford says:

“My wife and I travel a great deal, and spend several nights a month in motels and hotels.”
    Umm…years ago when I lived out of a suitcase, I carried my own flatware, coffee mug, cream and sugar. Have you considered that, instead of whining?

36. Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

Pizza Hut “doesn’t have forks or napkins?” Really? Is there anyone on planet Earth really stupid enough to say that? That speaks English, anyway?

Even if this is a delivery-only location, the idea that they do not provide forks or napkins is completely ludicrous on its face.

Please fire this idiot.

Thanks, I feel better.

37. emptyV says:

File this under “First World Problems”

38. Mad Monk says:

Really! If you are in a hotel you can always go to the Lobby where most Hotel/Motels serve a complementary breakfast as snag some flatware there. You save some time and money and complaining. Most places I have say at are very reasonable about this as long as you are polite.

Rule one don’t be a Dick
    Rule two use the your brain. Be prepared Convenience stores a fast food restaurants always have plastic flatware and condiments. When on the Road or Camping for that matter; when I stop I will grab a fork or some condiments that are there for the taking as long as you buy something.
    Rule three if all else fails just swipe some flatware.

39. LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

I’ve ordered stuff from Pizza Hut at home, and usually ask for napkins as well, and I’m typically told sure, that would be no problem. But rarely do napkins ever come…

No big deal.

On the other hand, when they forgot the chocolate dip for the chocolate dunkers, I went ahead and left feedback on their website. Got a $10 credit, too, so I was happy.