Postal Worker Accused Of Stealing Meds From War Vets, Selling To Others On Her Route

We’ve heard numerous stories about carriers for the U.S. Postal Service pilfering mail intended for others. But it seems like a lot of those stolen items just end up piling up in the carriers’ homes. Here’s a story of a mail carrier in California who robbed drugs intended for Peter to get paid by Paul.

According to authorities, the 15-year veteran of the USPS had allegedly been stealing prescription painkillers — Oxycontin, Vicodin — mailed to war vets in her area. She is then accused of selling those same drugs to folks along her route.

“She would say, ‘hey, if you need something, let me know,” one local man tells CBS Sacramento. “She doesn’t really care for authority and she does what she wants to do.”

The carrier is currently out on bail, but the local sheriff says he is now the subject of a federal investigation. In addition to the drug charges, police say they found stolen mail stashed in her house.

Comments

1. Cat says:
  2. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

The pain pill epidemic is getting ridiculous where I live. It would be nice to just once, go to CVS and not be hounded by tweakers looking to buy or sell pills. I live next to a hospital and it’s the same thing at the bus stop — There’s an open air market for painkillers. A few months ago, somebody smashed out a window in my car to steal a bottle of dog de-wormer.

When I was kid, I saw my neighborhood completely destroyed by crack, now the same thing is happening with pills and meth. The idea of moving to the suburbs gets more and more appealing each year.

• One-Eyed Jack says:

Legalize drugs … oh wait ….

It’s bad here, too. I’m on the Interstate folks take from the pill doctors in Florida to the hollers of Eastern Kentucky & West Virginia. Our local highway patrol is constantly busting out-of-state drivers ferrying prescription drugs.

3. Captain Spock says:

The carrier is currently out on bail, but the local sheriff says “he” is now the subject of a federal investigation. In addition to the drug charges, police say they found stolen mail stashed in her house.

This makes it appear as though the sherriff (if it is a male) is under investigation. Pronoun changes the whole meaning of the sentence!

4. Platypi {Redacted} says:

Gotta make up the USPS budget shortfall somehow!

/s

Sorry, had to be said.

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I haven’t gotten a free sample in the mail for years. The last one was a little box of facial tissues. I only knew they were supposed to be delivered because a little postcard got stuck in a catalog, and said something like “this postcard accompanies your free sample”.

I called the postmaster, and the next day it showed up in my mailbox. I’ve never gotten anything since.

I’ve always suspected when our old mail carrier dies, they’ll find him in his house buried under thousands of free samples.

6. Blueskylaw says:

“She is then accused” “he is now the subject “

Me thinks the carries also stole an “S” somewhere along their route.

7. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

My husband’s pain killers and muscle relaxants are shipped to us thru the VA. I’d be PISSED if they didn’t show up. Having the pills shipped directly to us saves a boatload of money and time, and is a great service. Hope she gets her pill popping dealer ass handed to her.

8. ChuckECheese says:

I am a long term care inspector. Long-term care facilities have huge loopholes that make it easy to divert meds. I don’t know how many times I’ve been on the job and seen an administrator or nurse or other employee hopped up on goofballs. The DEA is supposedly working on this problem, but I have seen nothing yet.

9. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I didn’t know Schedule II drugs could be purchased mail order, or does the VA operate under different rules?

10. Eaglekeeper says:

10-1 she will claim some skitzoid personality disorder and claim it wasn’t her fault, be reinstated with back pay, get a apology from the Postmaster General and file/win a huge lawsuit claiming wrongful arrest under the disabilities act.

11. legotech says:

That’s weird, my vicodin is sent via UPS from the VA, not USPS…they do send all my other scrips via USPS and I’m always surprised that they DON’T get stolen…it’s quite obvious what they are as the bottles of pills are just tossed into a white plastic envelope and rattle around in there.

12. AntiNeutral says:

Neither rain, nor sleet, nor hail or dark of night……or pesky federal laws outlawing the stealing of your mail….. shall stop the once-trusted Postal carrier from screwing you over. Why don’t they ever steal my bills?

13. jesresearch says:

I’m an autograph collector and have not received numerous items that were mailed to me. I complained to USPS and the local Brookline post office called back and dismissed my complaint. I then called the USPS 800 number and they suggested I contact the Boston Consumer Affairs office. Hopefully, this will lead to my carrier being transferred to another route. I also filed a complaint with the Postal Inspection Service who told me that mail carriers do steal mail…especially envelopes that are clearly autographs which are delivered on a regular basis. It’s like an invitation to steal. Says a lot about human nature, doesn’t it?