Dorito-Loving Raccoons Loitering Behind Neighborhood Store

If you think it’d be cute to see a raccoon munching on a bag of Doritos, try to envision about 62 of them wandering around chomping snacks in your neighborhood. One community has been swarmed with a big group of raccoons that have been congregating in the woods behind a Stop and Save.

KHOU.com says one Houston neighborhood has seen a major uptick in the furry critters, and they don’t mind begging to get their junk food fix.

“They eat everything,” said one local animal lover. “Doritos, Cheetos, chocolate. Or a big bag of cat food. They’ll eat that just as good too.” She says the creatures are sweet, and beg more than they steal. She’s seen as many as 62 at a time.

Others have been stopping by to feed them daily, which isn’t helping the raccoon gang to relocate and isn’t a great thing to do, says Texas Parks and Wildlife. They’re also worried about transmitting disease to humans.

“They’re a wild animal,” said an urban wildlife biologist. “If you come across a female protecting her young, there’s no telling what they will do.”

Or a female protecting her bag of Cheetos. I’ve seen that firsthand, but it was my college roommate and she is notoriously touchy when it comes to fake cheese. Scary, nonetheless.

Dozens of raccoons invade Brazoria County neighborhood [KHOU.com via Buzzfeed]

Comments

1. Hi_Hello says:

don’t think have trash bin that prevent animals from getting to it? unless you name is yogi.

2. j2.718ff says:

Thank you for pointing out this very important consumer-related issue.

• Agent Hooter Enjoys Enhanced Patdowns says:

You are welcome. Thanks for your insightful and valuable comment.

• Blueskylaw says:

When Consumerist or the History Channel decide to feature things that deal with neither consumer issues or history, people need to voice their opinion on the subject. If there wasn’t an outcry over Bunk of Americas decision to charge you $5.00 to access your own money, guess what, they wouldn’t have changed their mind.

• JennQPublic says:

The appropriate way to voice those opinions is to email the Consumerist directly, not to bore the rest of us with them.

Please consider re-reading the comments code linked at the bottom of the page. Thanks!

• Blueskylaw says:

I know what the code says, I also know that Bank of America said that paying $5.00 to access our own money is somehow to our benefit but that doesn’t make it true. People have been complaining on this blog publicly about the misspellings in articles and the need for an edit button for years now and still nothing has changed. What do you think would happen if everyone just complained to Consumerist directly? Exactly – even less than nothing. What we need is a “deus ex machina”

Let the complaining continue.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

shoplifters drive up the prices for everyone, even if they are furry shoplifters that weigh 20 pounds

• Jawaka says:

They eat Doritos.

Doritos is a consumer product.

At least this is the only link to relevancy I see.

• alana0j says:

It’s consumer related if they go after my Doritos Jacked Enchilada Supreme! Holy hell I don’t eat chips like ever but I tried them after a friend recommended them and I am hooked!

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Racoons are cute though. So, it’s okay.

• Golfer Bob says:

And the raccoons are pissed that the big bag is mostly air “to protect the chips from breakage” with less chips and .23 cents higher.

3. Blueskylaw says:

“She’s seen as many as 62 at a time.”

Were they lined up in a row so that she could
    count them easily or where they moving around?

• Coyote says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were all lined up, looking for a handout.

When I was an undergrad we had a fat raccoon living in a hollow log on the way to the dining hall. He got fed lots of french fries and such. I always wondered if he ended up getting so fat he got stuck in the log.

• Jawaka says:

Imagine if they all went rabid somehow.

I’d be like a script from a SyFy movie.

4. bugpaste says:

Once when I was a kid a raccoon snuck into our garage and wouldn’t leave for all the large dogs and loud music in the world. It wasn’t mean, just stubborn. Ultimately we let it stay the night. In the morning my mom went to let the dogs out and the raccoon and a string of babies marched out, polite as you please. We never saw them again.

5. gman863 says:

It’s the same thing monkeys do in Asia.

They get spoiled by the tourists and start grabbing anything that isn’t nailed down. They’ve even figured out how to grab eyeglasses and jewely and hold them hostage in exchange for food.

6. Gambrinus says:

I…don’t get why this is a story? Raccoons are well-known for raiding dumpsters in urban and suburban areas. I had a friend who lived in Teaneck, New Jersey, and he’d have swarms of raccoons on his lawn every night.

7. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

unfortunately, i have discovered they love cat food. also pet-style water fountains. and one night my roommate found him rummaging in the kitchen

i guess it’s a good thing i don’t keep doritos in the house

• Coyote says:

Bwahahaha… that cat is thinking “Maybe if I ignore it, it will go away…”

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

she is not the bimbo in the horror movie who stops to look back. she knows it’s there but refuses to recognize it

• smarmyjones goes cattywampus says:

I totally did a double take watching that. Your grey tabby looks exactly like mine. Andy would go about his business not even noticing the raccoon was there then take a leisurely nap on the couch.

Too funny.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

all the cats just let it walk past them. they know it could take them apart

• CrankyOwl says:

So whatever happened to the furry little bandit – did you succeed in getting him out of your house for good?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

no. some nights i get lucky and get all the cats in and lock the window their cat door is in. some nights i stand in the hallway with a spray bottle of ammonia and a pool noodle

• CalicoGal says:

We have that exact same fountain:

One cat drinks from the spout.
      Another cat drinks from the bowl.
      The third cat won’t go near the fountain and drinks from the shower and toilets instead.

8. Captain Obvious says:

Awwwhhh…the giant rats are so cute.

9. suburbancowboy says:

Squirrels at my bird feeder. Story at 11!

10. MaytagRepairman says:

I live in a rural neighborhood and have 3 of them that regularly travel through my yard. I used to leave a bug zapper running on the back porch at night. I kept finding dirty marks on the sliding glass door. One night my wife saw them on the deck and had me wait to see what they do before scaring them off. One growled at me and ate a moth off of the sliding glass door which was attracted by the light coming from the bug zapper. That was the end of the bug zapper.

I also heard rumor (take it with a grain of salt) of an old woman in my neighborhood that would feed them each night. One night she ran out of food early and they turned from cute beggars to being downright vicious. They are wild animals. Don’t feed them!

• sock says:

There’s absolutely no way to pick up all the walnuts our tree drops in October, so some are left as mulch in the garden. Raccoons love them and leave busted shells on our deck all year (no going barefoot until shell patrol is done). I’d love to not feed the things.

11. Razor512 says:

raccoons are cute, I wish we had some in NYC, I would love to hang out with a few

12. axolotl says:

62 eh?
    So.. she counted them?

• DrLumen says:

In one of the pictures at KHOU there were about 46. Yes, I counted them. I say ‘about’ as some are so close together it’s hard to say where one ends and maybe another 3 begins.

13. dks64 says:

Ship them over to my backyard, I’ll take them all. I f*cking love raccoons!

14. aaron8301 says:

Racoons WILL turn vicious if they’re hungry. That’s why I feed any around our house buckshot out of my nice little Mossberg buckshot feeder.

Say what you want, but my children’s safety is my utmost concern (and their cat!), and yes, it’s legal in my area. The sheriff’s deputy next door to me has never complained.

• Razor512 says:

raccoons make great pets and are great around kids. Having a raccoon is just like having a cat or dog or pet bunny.

Best of all, raccoons are extremely cute and fluffy and great to have around.

Raccoons are also very intelligent

(I herd they they have IQ’s of around 570-690 :) )

All in all, get a few raccoons and hang out with them, you will be happy you did, especially when you can experience the extremely intense cuteness.

• Clyde Barrow says:

You’re a smart man “aaron8301″. Putting your kids above some stupid animal is the right thing to do. Too bad we don’t have more parents like you. When I vacationed in the Smoky’s a few years back, a ranger told me that their biggest concern wasn’t folks feeding the bears but it was mommy and daddy wanting to get a picture of a bear with their kid standing next to it. Stupid breeds stupid in this country.

15. Archergal says:

I’ve seen very pushy raccoons that had a habit of coming up to eat out of outdoor cat food dishes. I knew of one house where they would come in the cat door to get to the food.

Raccoons also carry a type of roundworm that infects both dogs and people. See http://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/2009/04/articles/animals/other-animals/raccoon-roundworm-in-new-york/

16. JohnJ says:

We once got a raccoon in a Havahart box trap. There is absolutely nothing cute about an angry racoon bearing it’s teeth. 62 racoons with rabies would be even less cute than that. (grin)

17. eezy-peezy says:

I was staying in a 3rd floor apartment with outside walkways, opened the door one morning and saw one there. Then it went around the corner to the laundry room and pooped in one of the washers. Nice.

18. Zer0.MediA says:

How is there no video of this?

19. ferozadh says:

ahh raccoons… nature’s bandits.

20. El_Red says:

I’ve met someone working for a major park. People should never feed wild animals.
    In racoon’s case, the ranger said if they eat too much, they have trouble with their hibernation. So in winter, he often sees skeletal like raccoons roaming around the park, and often ending up dead. So feeding them junk food actually kills them.

21. Clyde Barrow says:

_________

To all city folk; raccoon’s will tear you a new one. They’re not cute, little fuz balls waiting for a warm hug from you. If you don’t trust me, go corner one and you’ll find out really fast what those four inch nails will do to your face.

22. BradenR says:

Having watched the PBS show on raccoons and their territorial ways, I don’t want to see one in my yard. They carry and pass on deadly bacterial and viral agents to people who clean up after them (old droppings vaporize which then can be inhaled) and to pets who carry disease into homes. Cute, not in my way of thinking.