Size Matters To Apple: New iPhones Will Reportedly Have Larger Screens

Hey, iPhoners, remember when you scoffed at your friend’s Android and what you called its “ginormous screen” while lovingly cradling your tiny, precious iPhone? Looks like people really do want bigger screens on their smartphones, as a new report says Apple is preparing to build four-inch screens for its next-generation iPhone.

The Wall Street Journal cites sources familiar with the situation who say Apple has already placed orders for the new displays from its suppliers in Asia.

The new screens will measure four inches from corner to corner, which would be about a 30% increase in viewing area. The 3.5-inch screen has been used by Apple since the iPhone’s introduction in 2007, but the pressure to compete with companies like Samsung and its new Galaxy S III phone with a 4.8-inch screen seems to be a factor in this screen stretching.

Early production of the screens has reportedly begun, and production orders from Apple could arrive as early as June. That would allow for manufacturing to begin on the phones in August, which then means you could have your hot little hands on the newest gadgetry in the fall. Be still, all those beating hearts.

Apple declined to comment on the buzz, which of course makes it all even buzzier.

Apple Moves Toward Larger iPhone Screens [Wall Street Journal]

Comments

1. Jaynor says:

Let the games begin! Apple vs. Android *Gets a bucket of popcorn to watch the bloodbath*

• Rexy on a rampage says:

Apple sux!

In all fairness, I love Android, but I’m not going to bash Apple users.

• JennQPublic says:

You mean you don’t have a strong emotional response to the mention of a product that you don’t personally prefer? And you don’t make assumptions about the lifestyles, morals, and political views of others based on their choice of consumer electronics?

What kind of Consumerist are you!?

2. Blueskylaw says:

Eggs are good for you – eggs are bad for you – eggs are good for you.

3. Darrone says:

“Hey Jim, go leak a story about bigger screens to the WSJ. If people like it, we’ll make the screen bigger next time, if they hate it, we won’t. Then go take that “market research” budget and just drop it into my bank account.”

4. rlmiller007 says:

Damn phones are getting to big to be portable. Might as well starting talking into an iPad. It has a big screeen already.

• SerenityDan says:

Hmmm iPhone + iPad= iPhad… yup that about does er.

• Geekybiker says:

I have a phone with a 5.3″ screen. Its awesome.

• JennQPublic says:

I’m looking forward to having a phone that’s about the size of a paperback book. I will just use a head- or hand-set when I want to talk. My phone’s not quite big enough, but my iPad’s too big to haul around.

I use my phone to access the internet a lot more than I use it to talk to people. I probably text more than I talk- I use those texts to arrange times and places to talk to people in person.

• Torgonius wants an edit button says:

Check out the Asus Pad Fone. It’s a ‘normal’ sized phone that docks inside a tablet-sized device. It also has a keyboard attachment as well.

Now if Asus would just get the damned thing to North America already…..

• wrjohnston91283 says:

I was hopeful the Kindle fire would allow you to plug in a handsfree headset so you could do skype or other voip calls, but alas, you can’t without rooting it.

5. Vox Republica says:

Ctrl+F “rumors about most recent iPad that came true”

Let’s see… yep, mostly horse dander. Don’t people get it yet? These stories are plants. You keep talking about Apple—and specifically, wondering about future products—the more you get investors and customers excited. The more you get investors and customers excited… well, that goe$ without $aying.

6. dush says:

I can’t wait until the phone itself is just a 1×2 inch credit card size computer and it projects a “touch” screen of customizable size.

7. chizu says:

I have an SE X10 mini pro phone and its dimension is: 90 x 52 x 17 mm. It’s literally half the size of most smartphones out there. (almost twice the thickness due to a full qwerty keyboard) The downside of having such a small phone is that most apps are designed to be viewed/interact with on a larger screen and it’s harder to use apps on this phone. But at the same time, I like being able to grasp my phone in my hand. (So no one could knock it out of my hand.) I wish smartphones don’t go bigger and bigger, it really makes carrying it difficult. I have relatively small hands compared to some, and holding onto larger phones can be difficult (and painful from being sore). Following this “bigger is better” trend, I might just have to hold onto this phone for the next couple years and hopefully it won’t die too soon.

• Agent Hooter Enjoys Enhanced Patdowns says:

I rather like that in the late 90s and early aughts the whole trend was about getting the phone tinier and tinier. There was some dilbert comic about computers getting so small, someone would sneeze and wipe out the eastern seaboard. I expect to see the cell phone get back up to the size of an 80s brick cell with multiple slide out touch screens at some point.

8. fatediesel says:

If the iPhone got a bigger screen I’d definitely consider it as my next phone. The main reason I got a Droid Razr over the iPhone was because the iPhone just seemed puny after holding the Razr.

9. SerenityDan says:

I currently have a 4 inch screen phone, I have tiny hands. Any thing bigger I can’t really hold the phone right.

10. M-D says:

The rumor going around is “4 inches DIAGONALLY”. In theory, if you push the home button down further (closer to the bottom edge) and extend the screen down and out as wide as the bezel allows, you could fit a 4″ screen into the existing iPhone 4/4s form factor. It’d wreak havoc on resolution, but it’s possible.

I don’t want the iPhone to be any bigger, mainly because I can hold the phone in my right hand and perform just about any function with my right thumb. Any wider and you’d need both hands to do anything.

11. phixional-ninja says:

I’m sure I’d get used to 288PPI if they go to 4″, but I’d certainly prefer it if they went up just a bit, to maybe 3.8″ at 304PPI.

12. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

I think this is a good change. Good for Apple–this is more choice, and that’s never a bad thing.

The only thing that irks me is that the Apple Fanbois who were saying previously “ZOMG!!!111 Thoze Droid Phonez are FREEKIN’ HYOOOGE MONSTROSITIES!!111″ Will now rave about the foresight and innovation Apple has in making a “breathtaking, magical” larger display.

13. Kate says:

Have the outside dimensions changed? Because if it doesn’t fit in my pocket, it’s useless.

14. Maz says:

Ugh, so now it’s come to this? No innovation in software or service. Just pump the specs up with each release (which is all the iPad did last time around.

Steve, we miss you.

15. msbask says:

I have an HTC EVO. Sscreen is 3.75″ x 2.25″, 4.25″ on the diagonal, and I love the size of it. It’s one of the few things that keeps me from moving to an iPhone.

(Well that, and the fact that I heard Apple censors it’s app, so I may not be able to the get the, uh, category of apps that I, uh, occasionally enjoy).

16. Geekybiker says:

4 inches is still tiny in the smartphone world. Apple has to move up, but they’re just going where Android devices were 2 years ago. Current flagship phones are 4.5-4.8″ typically. I think apple would be better served with multiple models. One with a screen about current size, and another to compete with the Android flagships. Same deal with the ipad. They need a 7″ish model.

17. Thorzdad says:

Apple tests things like screen sizes all the time. Ordering a run of screens ≠new iPhone screen sizes. It just means that Apple doesn’t sit still.

Also, larger screen ≠larger phone. It could easily mean that the screen will simply get longer, reducing the size of the areas containing the speaker and the home button.

18. Costner says:

I was looking at some of my older phones the other day and thinking to myself how nice it was when I was using the LG chocolate. The form factor easily slipped into a pocket, and I didn’t need to lay it on a table or on the console of my car or on my desk at work due to it being uncomfortable in my pocket.

I’m actually one of those people who has been using my smartphone less and less for apps and web browsing, and these days I’m primarily using it for phone calls and texting. I have an iPad for browsing and playing games etc, so aside from the occasional game of solitaire when I’m um… thinking, I don’t think I really need all of the smarts of the smartphone these days.

Am I alone? I’m curious if others who jumped on the smartphone bandwagon might soon realize it is somewhat of a fad. I don’t “need” to have access to the web at all times, I don’t “need” to stream my music from the cloud (because a 16GB microSD card holds more than enough), and I don’t need to watch YouTube videos while I’m sitting in line at the bank. I can seriously manage my entire life without requiring a smartphone, and I can’t say as I have ever been in a position that I was disappointed that I couldn’t check-in on facebook or check to see who has uploaded a recent photo of their child.

• dwtomek says:

Of course it’s just a fad. It’s a fad just like this “home computin’ bull honkey.” I’m still waiting for the world at large to realize that pen and paper is where it’s at.

• dwtomek says:

• Costner says:

There is a vast difference between having technology – and having technology attached to you at every waking moment.

Personally, I’ve noticed that I have actually removed more apps from my phone in thep past two months than I have installed in the past six. I still use it for calls and texting, and I play games rarely. I check email, but I haven’t used the web more than a halfful of times i the past several months. I don’t stream music, I don’t use my phone as a GPS, I don’t update my facebook status from my phone. I just don’t feel that I “need” to be that connected at all times, and I’m starting to see a trend of others who feel the same way.

Part of it comes down to money since a data package can be expensive, but I feel others are also starting to realize that being constantly tied to a phone is a bad thing. There comes as point where it impacts your personal relationships and your lifestyle. If that is what someone wants by all means I respect that, but for me I just don’t see it being a net positive as I once thought it was. Maybe I’m nuts, but I suspect more and more people will be reverting back to “dumb” phones as they try to simplify their lives.

• Invader Zim says:

Im right with you. I have a tablet with interent service and im getting tired or lugging around a huge ass phone. Sometimes its nice to just have a cheap small phone that you dont have to worry or fuss about.

19. StarKillerX says:

This is the latest in the long line on iphone, which rumor had it, is getting a bigger screen.

20. MECmouse says:

To me bigger just means heavier! My phone outweighs my purse these days because I’m one of the few women who don’t pack it with everything in my bathroom when I leave the house for the day!

I don’t want a new phone (I’m still on the 3) — I just want it to run faster and not drop calls!

• rdaex says:

Uh the 4S has a weight of 4.9 oz, the Galaxy S2 has a weight of 4.55oz.
      The iPhone is severely overweight when compared to some of the large screen phones out there, so your issue is a non-issue.

• RayanneGraff says:

I fix iPhones for a living & I own a Galaxy S 2, and the iPhone is a damn BRICK compared to my phone. Fragile as crap too, I drop my phone on an almost daily basis with no damage, and I have people coming in all week long with shattered iPhones after dropping them once from like 3 feet up.

21. JonBoy470 says:

Disclosure: I own an iPhone 4S and an iPad.

Some of these larger Android phones are getting ridiculous. The Samsung Galaxy Note is a particularly garish abomination, but it seems that anything much over 4.3″ screen size strains the definition of “pocketable” even if they don’t weigh any more. The larger ones are definitely two handed affairs to use.

That said, Steve once said that Apple “would never go larger than 3.5 inches” which means a bigger screen is definitely in the works.

22. Invader Zim says:

Apple is usually behind progress gald to see users might get a bigger screen. Now how about a totally customizable home screen after all just seeing icons is so windows 3.1.

23. RayanneGraff says:

I love how apple has this undeserved reputation for being “innovative”, despite being chronically late to the party with features & hardware. I’ve had phones with 4″+ screens for over 2 years now. Currently have a 4.5″ GS2, and my next phone will be the 5.3″ Galaxy Note once T-Mobile gets it or something equivalent.

I’m a petite girl with little elfin hands and maybe I’m just spoiled, but I can’t see how people can stand the tiny screen on the iphone for daily use. My work partner has one & I had to borrow it once, and I nearly got a headache from squinting at the damn thing trying to read the tiny text. 4.5-5.5 is the perfect screen size for smartphones, IMO.

24. FLConsumer says:

Larger screen…worse battery life. Yet another Apple “upgrade”

25. AM says:

I like the screen size now. But, if they make it 4″ I will then have an excuse to buy a new case for my phone. The clear case in this picture looks good. Now if they would only include the Lego Storm troopers with that.